Find a Train Ticket
Why choose us?
3 million travellers in 2013
N° 1 distributor of train tickets.
Helpful travel experts
Ask any question on our Travel Forum.
All of Europe, one place to buy your tickets!
Rail Europe Travel+
Free coupons, train travel guide and more.
Member of Trusted Commerce program.
Finland has an extensive railway network. With over 5,900 km of tracks, travellers can visit all major cities in Finland by train. Trains are operated by the national railway company called VR. Commuter service is also run by VR in the Helsinki region. The high speed train service in Finland is carried by the Allegro trains. These high speed trains also have an international connection to Saint Petersburg in Russia, from Helsinki in Finland. When travelling on board an international train, passport controls are frequent. Other stations served by the Allegro high speed trains include Vyborg, Vainikkala, Kouvola, Lahti, Tikkurila and Pasila.
Arrive on Helsinki, Finland’s capital, and discover the bustling harbor, steep in the coastal city and wander around Senate Square. Board a train to Turku, the oldest city of the country, explore the medieval castle and admire the wooden houses of Rauma, dating back to the 16th century. Or go to Lapland and meet Santa Claus in his native city of Rovaniemi (Lapland).
If you’re fond of wildness, hop on train to Lapland. There, you should see some reindeers and have some great opportunities to go trekking, canoeing or cross-country skiing. If you are looking for Northern Lights, you will be mesmerized by the one you can see in the Arctic Circle.
If you are looking for handcrafted souvenirs, meet the local Sami communities in Finnish Lapland and buy some wooden gifts. If you prefer jewellery, high-end fashion or even antiques, rush to Helsinki’s Design District or to Marimekko, where you will also find contemporary interiors and fashion too.
Eat & Drink
High-calorie food is necessary to withstand the climate… Rainbow trout, fresh salmon or perch coming from the Finland’s inland lakes are delightful. Try a reindeer stew in Lapland, pork and black pudding stew rössyopottu in Oulu or taste Karelian beef!
By train, reach Finland’s impressive Lakeland region. You should enjoy the trip to the wild forest, the large lakes and scenic views like the Savonlinna’s medieval castle.
Rail Pass benefits in Finland
- 20 to 40% discount on ferry crossings from Helsinki –Stockholm (via Mariehamn), Turku – Stockholm (via Mariehamn or Langnas) and Helsinki – Tallinn (Tallink Silja Oy company). 20% discount for high season and 40% discount for the low season. More information from Tallink Silja Oy. All reductions are available for Cabins that are category C-A. Port taxes are extra.
- 30% reduction is offered on the ferry crossing between Helsinki-Travemünde operated by Finnlines company. Port tax and meals are extra and are paid locally.
- Special rate on ferry crossings from Turku/Helsinki – Stockholm and Helsinki-Tallinn operated by Vikings Line company.
Free bus travel. From Kemi/Tornio to Harparanda (Sweden). Company: Veljekset Salmela.
- Free entry. Narrow-gauge railway museum in Jokioinen. Open from June to mid-August.
- Free entry. Railway museum Hyvinkää.