Germany is a leader in rail transport in Europe. With over 41,000 km of railway tracks, trains go everywhere in Germany. The national rail company of Germany is known as the Deutsche Bahn (DB). The German high speed trains are called ICE (InterCity Express). The ICE trains mostly operate locally, however they do operate on some international routes to the Netherlands, Belgium, Switzerland, Austria, France and Denmark. Other trains which operate in Germany are the EuroCity which are international long-distance trains, the Intercity which are national long-distance trains and the EuroNight which are international night trains.
Head East Germany and enjoy the arty Berlin or the lively harbor of Hamburg. Hop on train to the west and admire the majestic gothic cathedral of Cologne. If you like Middle Ages, go south to visit the medieval city of Heidelberg. You should also experience the eclectic Munich.
In the Middle Rhine Valley, board on a cruise and see the Unesco-listed area with its vine landscapes. If you’re more after undulating views, you should go hiking in the Black Forest or in the Hunsrück. Then take a train to Upper Bavaria and enjoy the chocolate-box villages and the otherworldly castles.
If you go trekking to the Black Forest, bring back traditional souvenirs such as the Cuckoo clocks. Fond of good pastries? Find some Marzepan from Lüsbeck, just delightful. To go shopping, board a train to Munich or Düsseldorf, that provide a lot of boutiques.
Eat & Drink
Taste some beers like the golden Pilsener or the dark Altbier. Among the typical food, test the sauerkraut (meat and pickled cabbage), the famous currywurst (curry sausage) from Berlin or, if you stay in the north of Germany, try the herring-type rollmops.
On your way from Cologne to Koblenz, a very old and touristic city, you’ll have an amazing view on castles and vineyard of the Rhine Valley from the Ehrenbreitstein fortress, don’t forget your camera!
Rail pass benefits
Rail Pass benefits in Germany
Private and Regional Rail Roads
- Free travel on local trains (S-Bahn trains) that connects all major German cities. Berlin is an exception and Eurail Passes are only valid on the S-Bahn tracks that connect the DB railway stations of Berlin.
- 10% discount. Garmisch Partenkirchen - Grainau - Zugspitzplatt mountain railway route, and discount on some cable cars in the summit area.
- Discounted fare. Berlin Night express train operating between Berlin and Malmo, including the ferry crossing from Sassnitz-Trelleborg. Reservations are required and are an additional cost.
Ferries and Cruises
- 20% discount. Boats operated by the ’KD German Rhine Line’ on the river Rhine between Köln and Mainz and on the river Mosel between Koblenz and Cochem (except on boats making cruises of several days between Basel and Rotterdam or vice versa, or between Trier and Koblenz or vice versa). Extra charge is applicable for the use of hydrofoils.
- 50% reduction. Boats on Lake Constance operated by BSB, SBS and ÖBB (from May to October).
- 30% discount. On the offical fares for ferry crossing from Travemünde-Helsinki operated by Finnlines. Port tax and meals are an additional cost and are paid locally.
- 20% discount. On the official fares for the ferry crossing from Travemünde - Malmo operated by Finnlines. Port tax and meals are an additional cost and are paid locally.
- Various reductions on boat trips on the river Danube between Passau and Linz (Austria) or vice versa operated by Wurm & Köck.
20% discount. Europabus. Route EB 190/190A Romantische Strasse (May to October), Romantic Road, (Frankfurt am Main-Rothenburg ob der Tauber-Augsburg-Munich/Fussen). Seat reservations must be made in advance by email to email@example.com or contacting Touring Tours & Travel by Phone: +49 69 719126 261; Fax: +49 69 719126 156.
Board the international IC bus if you have a Eurail Global Pass. Reservation required and not included. If your rail pass does not include the country you are visiting, you will need a ticket and a reservation.
- 10% discount. Meininger hotels in Berlin, Munich, Cologne, Frankfurt, Hamburg.
- 10% discount. A&O hotels and hostels in Berlin, Hamburg, Munich and other German cities.
Free Hot Fudge Sundae when you order any main course. Free gift in Rock Shop for all purchase over 25 euros. Hard Rock Cafe: Berlin, Kurfürstendamm 224, Cologne, Gürzenichstr. 8, Munich, Platzl 1.