Find a Train Ticket
OverviewRome, Florence and Venice aside, think blue Mediterranean waters, sandy beaches, Alpine mountains and a foodie's paradise.
Why choose us?
3 million travellers in 2013
N° 1 distributor of train tickets.
Helpful travel experts
Ask any question on our Travel Forum.
All of Europe, one place to buy your tickets!
Rail Europe Travel+
Free coupons, train travel guide and more.
Member of Trusted Commerce program.
|La Spezia||Rome||02:47||AU$ 63|
With over 16,000 km of railway tracks, Italy has an excellent rail network. The national railway company in Italy is known as Trenitalia. The company operates high speed trains as well as regional trains. The Italian high speed trains are known as Frecciarossa, Frecciargento and Frecciabianca. Italy is the first country in Europe to welcome privately operated high speed trains called Italo, which are operated by the NTV railway company. Thanks to international high speed trains, Italy has connections with France and Switzerland. Thello nigh trains operate between Paris and Rome as well as between Paris and Venice.
The train’s network is well developed so you can easily visit Rome and its historical monuments and then go by train to experience Firenze Renaissance architecture. Discover Venice’s canal, a perfect and romantic destination if you go in couple. Reach Naples to test the best pizzas in the world, or hop in train to Milan, the Italy’s fashion capital.
From the rolling hills of Tuscany to the water buffalo of Campania, the diversity of the Italian landscape will wow you. If you prefer basking the sun, go to Sardinia’s Costa Smeralda and enjoy the turquoise waters. Heritage lovers, why don’t you get a train to Sicily to explore ancient Greek theatres?
Be thrilled with designer labels in Milan; buy some well-known hand-blown Murano glass in the beautiful Venice. If you like wines, bring back some bottles of the red Brunello, from Montalcino, Tuscany. If you go to Umbria, painted ceramics can be a perfect gift.
Eat & Drink
Sardinia’s seafood risotto or bistecca alla florentina, buffalo mozzarella or Tuscan steaks are just so many dishes you can feast with. If you stay in Northern Italy, try some truffles and porcini mushrooms. If you are in the south, test the fiori di Zucchini, it is just delightful.
In Liguria, have a one of the kind memory boarding on train to see the sunset on traditional tiny villages of Cinque Terre region.
Rail Pass benefits in Italy
- Airport transfer on the Leonardo Express between Fiumicino Airport and Roma Termini train station for 1st class pass holders only. This transfer requires the use of one day of travel on the pass.
- From Rome Fiumicino Airport on high speed train to/from Florence/Bologna/Padova/Venice.
- Free transportation on the ÖBB Intercitybus (1st and 2nd class) between Klagenfurt/Villach-Venezia Mestre & Venezia Tronchetto if the Eurail pass is valid in both Austria and Italy. Reservations are required and can be made locally.
- Discounted fares on Thello international night and day trains between France and Italy if your pass is valid in France and/or Italy.
- Milano-Pavia-Voghera-Genova-Savona-Finale Ligure-Albenga-Alassaio Diano-Marina-Imperia-San Remo-Ventimiglia-Menton-Monaco-Nice-Antibes-Cannes-St Raphael-Les Arcs-Toulon-Marseille
- Attica Group/Operated by Superfast Ferries for International routes offers free air seats/dormitories for 1st class pass holders, free deck passage for 2nd class pass holders with a pass valid in Greece AND Italy. Bari-Corfu/Igoumenitsa/Patras and Ancona/Venice - Igoumenitsa/Patras. High season surcharge and port taxes may apply.
- 20% reduction on the Official Fares and 10% reduction on accommodation supplements for Pullman seats, berths or on crossings operated by Grimaldi Ferries on the following routes: Barcelona-Civitavecchia, Barcelona-Livorno, Barcelona-Porto Torres (Sardinia), Brindisi-Igoumenitsa and Patras, Civitavecchia / Porto Torres/Trapani, Livorno-Barcelona, Igoumenitsa/Patras-Ravenna, Salerno/Palermo. Seasonal surcharges and/or port taxes may apply.
- Minoan Lines International Free air-type seats for 1st class pass holders, free deck passage for 2nd class pass holders with a pass valid in Greece AND Italy. Patras/Igoumenitsa-Ancona/Ravenna/Trieste. Seasonal surcharges and/or port taxes may apply.
Free Hot Fudge Sundae when you order any main course. Free gift in Rock Shop for all purchase over 25 euros. Hard Rock Cafe, Florence, Via Brunelleschi 1, Rome, Via V. Veneto 62a, Venice, Bacino Orseolo and the Rock Shop at Rialto Bridge.
Interactive Rail Map
Go for our best-selling rail passes Italy
Our train tickets in Italy
Top cities in Italy
Top stations in Italy
Airports in Italy
"SMOOTH RIDE"Neil m.
TGV IS THE WAY TO GO IN FRANCE. MINIMUM CHECK-IN TIME. COMFORTABLE SEATING. FANTASTIC VIEWS. WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE. BEATS A PLANE ANY DAY!
"Perfect"Peter m. 22/06/2015
Beautiful trip in a comfortable train
"Better than flying"Peter m. 22/06/2015
Train was good and fast but need a USB port or two! Too much foot traffic in our carriage as people went to the restaurant.
"Very comfortable trip"Anne c. 22/06/2015
We travelled on the fast train, the train trip was comfortable, we travelled first class, free papers and a drink.
"Great train trip"Stephen s. 22/06/2015
Using printouts of E tickets was a first for me, but there were no problems, the rail staff at Barcelona Sants station were extremely helpful. We were in the first class section, upstairs. The seating was comfortable and once again the on board staff were friendly and helpful. The train was very smooth, the only problem was waiting for oncoming trains on the single track sections which resulted in the train being 35 minutes late. A really enjoyable train journey, I would recommend.
"Paris-Caen"Chris m. 22/06/2015
Basic, open seating,but comfortable with electrical points and table.
"Best way to travel to Paris"Brian p. 22/06/2015
This was a fabulous experience and a much better way to travel from London to Paris as against flying with all the check-in issues etc. City to city centre was perfect and border passport control and security baggage checking process at St. Pancras was a breeze. Why would anyone choose to fly when this service is superior?
"Excellent way to travel"Brian p. 22/06/2015
This was an amazing and smooth journey. Travelling at speeds up to 300km per hr and was so smooth. Got to Florence in good time and without all the normal hassles you would otherwise experience with the flying options. This is just so much a better way to travel and all things considered - took less time than flying! Only problem was that the power points for plugging and charging laptops etc. was not working in the carriage - which was very poor for the 'Primo' class seats!
"Excellent way to travel"Brian p. 22/06/2015
Unfortunately, the power points for laptop connections were not working in the carriage but otherwise, another smooth journey. This is the best way to travel to Venice. You arrive in Venice right onto the main island and walk straight outside to where the water taxi's are. So convenient!
"Good travel experience"Brian p. 22/06/2015
This was a very good experience - with no issues getting our reserved seats. A nice train
"Nice train experience"Brian p. 22/06/2015
This was a much better experience where we actually got our first class and reserved seats without any issues. Quick and smooth journey.
"Off to the Cinque Terre"Elizabeth h. 22/06/2015
Everything was great. Good idea booking the tickets from Australia - convenient and allowed good preparation on our part. Perhaps advice about the app you can load to check options if you need to change plans. Also tickets not easily changeable overseas - need to go back via Australia. Perhaps you should warn about sharks at station who offer to assist, carry bags, etc then want to charge an exorbitant fee. Regards
"Rome to Florence"Jo-anne g. 21/06/2015
The terminal was easy to negotiate, and found our platform, carriage and seats with ease. We found the luggage storage was not sufficient for the number of travellers with large cases. Train travel suited our needs for this trip.
"Excellent"Kaye o. 21/06/2015
A pleasure to travel on this train.
"Very Good"Kaye o. 21/06/2015
On time clean and comfortable, a little more space for luggage would be useful.