travellers in 2015
years of rail travel experience
|Zurich||St Margrethen||01:38||AU$ 41|
The Swiss national railway company is the Swiss Federal Railways (SBB-CFF-FFS). Switzerland has one of the best railway network and public transportation system in Europe. The country is known for having some of the world’s best scenic trains including the Glacier Express, the Gornergratbahn and the Jungfraubahn. Thanks to international high speed trains, Switzerland has connections with France, Italy and Germany.
The spirit of a country can be seen through its cities. In Switzerland, cities have a blend of cultures, vibrant centres and a variety of entertainment. Its four main languages and wide range of traditional customs are reflections of this diversity. The Swiss Travel System allows you to visit popular cities like Bern, Zurich, Geneva, Lucerne, Montreux, Lausanne and Lugano.
The public transport network is excellent in Switzerland, so travel as much as you can by train or another public transport to visit the whole country. Bern, the capital, offers touristic sites such as Einstein’s house or the clock tower. Board a train to Lausanne to visit the cathedral, the museums and the amazing bridges. Finally, go to Zurich and experience the bustling nightlife in the Old Town.
The landscapes are majestic in here. If you need a breath of fresh air or if you want to change of scenery, hop on a train to Switzerland and feast your eyes with the beautiful lakes, orchards, glaciers and mountains that you will find here.
The typical souvenir you would buy is probably the Swiss army knife. Then why don’t you buy some watches or jewelleries which are traditional as well? If you prefer food, bring back home some cheese and chocolates!
Eat & Drink
Try the excellent but heavy Fondue, bubbling cheese and white wine in which you dunk bread or pieces of meat. You can easily find some pies, quiches or potato dishes as well. Of course you will have to taste chocolates!
Take a train to Basel and visit this city thanks to a two-wheeled self-balancing electric vehicle, it is called the Segway. It will enable you to discover the city in an original and faster way!
Rail Pass benefits in Switzerland
Cruises/Ferries (Lakes and Rivers)
- Reduction on regular boat services on the lakes of Geneva, Luzern, Thun, Brienz, Zurich and Biel. These are seasonal services, so please consult timetables. www.bls.ch; www.cgn.ch; www.bielersee.ch; www.zsg.ch
- Discount on regular boat services on the river Aare between Biel and Solothurn.
- 50% discount. Boats on Lake Constance (Bodensee) operated by BSB, SBS and ÖBB (from May to October).
- Discounted fare on the Wilhelm Tell Express, the nostalgic boat crossing Luzern-Flüelen including lunch and welcome package, and connecting train ride to Locarno/Lugano: (reservation compulsory)
- 25% to 50% discount. Cable Cars and Funiculars to reach mountain peaks
- Reduction. Titlis Rotair Cableway from Engleberg
- Reduction. Stanserhorn funicular/cable railway
- Reduction. To visit summit of Mount Pilatus (near Lucerne), by funicular from Alpnachstad, as well as by cable car from Kriens.
- Discount on MGB cable cars between Gornergrat & Zermatt
- Private Rail Roads (discount of 25%-50%)
- Rigi Railways
- The Jungfrau Region Railways
- Glacier Express between Disentis & Zermatt (discount of 25%)
- MGB trains between Andermatt and Göschenen
- BLM Lauterbrunnen - Grütschalp - Mürren
- BOB Berner Oberland - Bahnen
- WAB Wengeralpbahn
- BET Bergbahnen Engelberg-Trubsee-Titlis/Engelberg-Kleintitlis
- Golden Pass between Montreux-Interlaken-Luzern
- Free travel on Centovalli railway to Domodossola (Italy)
- Free access to the SBB lounge in Zurich HB for 1st class passholders.
Free travel. Rhätische Bahn AG including travel from Tirano-Lugano.