BritRail Pass From AU$ 235 From AU$ 235 BritRail
- Unlimited travel in England, Scotland and Wales.
- Discount for families or groups of 3-9 people with the Saver Pass.
- Children under 5 travel for free.More details
- Youth (16 - 25) discounts available
Reviews & ratings (10)
Why choose us?
3 million travellers in 2014
N° 1 distributor of train tickets.
Helpful travel experts
Ask any question on our Travel Forum.
All of Europe, one place to buy your tickets!
Rail Europe Travel+
Free coupons, train travel guide and more.
Member of Trusted Commerce program.
The BritRail Pass is the most complete rail pass to visit England, Scotland and Wales. In England, you will discover various cultures, world-known cities, prestigious football clubs and historical landmarks. The coastline of Wales, its particular customs and wild beaches will charm you in no time. If you are a nature love the Scottish highlands will delight you.
With the BritRail Pass, you can travel where you please, whenever you want! Take as many trains as you like, there is no limit on the distance you can travel in a day. BritRail Pass, to put it simply, offers unlimited travel at a fixed price!
Hop on hop off trains to visit any place you want. The BritRail Pass gives you access to all trains, but remember that premium trains require a seat reservation. The Things to know section explains everything you need to know about seat reservations.
Enjoy the bonuses which are included in the BritRail Pass. You will get discount on certain trains, special fares for Eurostar and more.
The BritRail Pass is the key to have a hassle-free trip throughout England, Scotland and Wales.
Things to know
Who can buy a rail pass?Any person living outside the participating countries can use the BritRail Pass. Please note that residents of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales are not eligible.
To travel on board high speed and night trains, you need to book a seat reservation.
Seat reservations are compulsory on most premium trains and are a guarantee to get a seat or a sleeping berth. As a pass holder, you will only be charged a fraction of the usual standard fare.
In most cases, you can reserve your seat up to 90 days in advance. Don’t wait too long to book your seat. They are limited!
Book a seat reservation with Rail Europe.
As an alternative to high speed and night trains, you can travel on board regional trains. Most don’t require a seat reservation when you have a rail pass so you won’t have to pay any extra charge. Just sit back and relax!
What is a Saver Pass?A Saver Pass is a single pass listing the names of all people travelling together. It is offered to families or groups of 3 to 9 people.
- Adults usually get a 20% discount with a Saver Pass.
- Remember, children can travel for free with an adult. See conditions below.
Children under 5 travel for free. Do not include them in your booking as they don’t need a rail pass. However if you want them to have a guaranteed seat on board high speed trains or a bed on board night trains, you must make a reservation before travelling.
Children from 5 to 15 travel. Free travel limited to 1 child when accompanied by an adult who is a holder of a valid BritRail Pass.
As a rail pass will still be issued for the child, please make sure you include him/her in your booking.
All additional children aged 5 to 15 will benefit from a discounted fare.
How to use a rail pass?
It is required that you start using your rail pass within 6 months of the date of purchase.
To use your rail pass for the first time, you have to go to any train station in Europe. A railway official will write down your passport number on the rail pass and stamp it. Don’t forget to write down the date of travel on your rail pass.
Please ensure that all the above information is reflected on your rail pass. An unstamped rail pass or incomplete travel information can lead to a fine and payment of a full fare ticket.
A travel day starts from midnight and ends at midnight the next day. It lasts 24 hours. During that period, you can take as many trains as you want.
You can get a free travel day with the 7 PM rule when the four conditions below are met:
- Your rail pass should be activated by a rail official.
- You must travel on board a night train which departs after 7 pm, and this trip should be the first one you are taking during that day.
- You must reach your destination no later than 4 am on the following day.
- The arrival date must be within the validity of your rail pass.
The validity is the number of travel days of a rail pass.You can choose between flexible and consecutive validities.
Flexible validities allow you to choose which days you want to travel within the period covered by your rail pass.
E.g. For a rail pass with a validity of 5 days within 1 month. If you activate your rail pass on the 1st of the month, you can travel on the 3rd, 4th, 7th, 12th and 30th of this month.
Consecutive validities give you unlimited travel during consecutive days.
E.g. For a rail pass with a validity of 3 days continuous. By activating your rail pass on the 1st of the month, you can use it until the 3rd.
Rail pass benefits
Most rail passes include discounts and bonuses. Save money and make the most of your trip with your rail pass.
When available you will get hotel discounts, free entrance to museums, discounted boat trips and more.
- Up to 20% off on participating Heritage Railways Association’s railways all over the United Kingdom
- Special Pass holder fare available on Eurostar.
Interactive Rail Map
The Interactive Travel Map will allow you to plan your trip easily in Europe. Type-in your itinerary or choose it directly from the map. You can even provide your travel dates to view trains and fares related to your itinerary.
- A. Italo offers different classes of service. Rail Europe offers 3 classes of service for Italo: the Smart class, the Club class and the Prima class. The Smart class is the equivalent of second class, where passengers have the following services: 2 dedicated stewards/hostesses and comfortable seats. The Prima class is the equivalent of first class, where passengers have the following services: A dedicated steward/hostess, welcome drink and snacks, daily newspapers, complimentary expresso and large reclining seats. A supplement is needed for catering service in Prima class. The Club class has the same services as the Prima class plus video screens and access to business lounge.
- A. You can print your tickets from the convenience of your home or you can retrieve them from self-service machines in London St Pancras, Brussels Midi or Paris Nord station before boarding your Eurostar train.
- A. Gatwick Express arrives in London's Victoria Station.
- A. There is no Senior fare available for Italo trains. However children aged from 4 to 14 have a 25% discount on the full adult fare. As for children under 3 years old, they can travel for free if they do not require any seat.
Q. When I select the box that says I have a pass I am not receiving any schedules, but when I do not select the box that says I have a pass I receive schedules. Why can't I book a reservation with a Pass?A. The train you are requesting does not offer reservations. Please note the train time for your travel information. To board this train you will need your pass and can take any available seat.
Q. Under train tickets and schedules, does the fare represent a per person rate or total for everyone?A. Our "Train Tickets and Schedules" section calculates the total cost of your outbound journey first, and it includes the cost for the number of people that you specify. Once you choose an outbound journey, the costs of the return journey appear.
- A. You will need to first figure out who wants to share, and who does not. Once you have your travel party broken down, request the number of passengers who want to share a room together and request as either a 1, 2 or 3 person room. Request each compartment separately until all passengers have been reserved in a room.
- A. In Comfort1 (First class), drinks and meal are included in the price of your Thalys ticket and served at your seat. Meal includes a choice of drinks, cold starter and main course, but also bread and dessert. In Thalys Comfort 2 (second class), you will get access to a bar-buffet car which offers a variety of food and refreshments.
- A. Each passenger is allowed 2 bags/suitcases plus 1 piece of hand luggage and every piece of luggage must be labelled. Luggage can be stored in the racks above your seat on ICE trains.
- A. You can travel in first or second class. It depends on the classes of services which correspond to your German Rail Pass. In the ExpressBus to/from Munich to Prague, only 2nd class is available.
answered | Posted by Candice O. | Comments 0 | Created: 15/04/2015
answered | Posted by Cassandra O. | Comments 0 | Created: 24/02/2015
answered | Posted by Luong N. | Comments 2 | Created: 31/01/2015
Iwant to travelfrom andover to york, york to souillac, souillac to paris for one person, souillac to plymouth, london and back to (...)Am travelling to visit family. Go from //Andover to York, to Souillac southern France, then one of us going to Paris to fly home. (...)
answered | Posted by sara m. | Comments 0 | Created: 28/05/2014
answered | Posted by Columb F. | Comments 2 | Created: 01/04/2014
Reviews & ratings BritRail Pass
Overall rating (10)
Overall appreciationExcellent 41% Very good 38% Average 22% Poor 0% Terrible 0%
"Fantastic"Stephanie g. 29/10/2013
We had no problems using the britrail pass. And we found out how much each trip would have cost separately so we definitely saved money with our britrail. We didn't have to reserve a seat and pay extra even when we chose to reserve a seat. The only criticism I have is the form the pass comes in. A piece of paper is really easily damaged and not convenient to carry around as it is in a large envelope type thing. A card or a smaller, more durable ticket would be a better and more manageable item to carry around, especially for those travelling for a long time. Value for money Convenience
"Around the UK by train"Beron a. 15/08/2013
Five weeks travelling around the UK by train using an "any fifteen days in two months" first class BritRail Pass was brilliant. Covered the UK from end-to-end (Penzance to Wick) and side-to-side (Porthmadog to Lowestoft) The convenience of having a rail pass means you can pick any train and just jump on, no booking and no hassle. The best way to see the UK Value for money Convenience