BritRail Scottish Highlands PassBritRail
- Unlimited travel in Northern Scotland
- Children under 5 travel for free.More details
5.5 milliontravellers in 2015
75+years of rail travel experience
The BritRail Scottish Highlands Pass will take you to the scenic Highlands of Scotland, where you will find majestic mountains, famous lochs and stunning countryside. The BritRail Scottish Highlands Pass is the most exhaustive rail pass to travel in Northern Scotland, where you can visit cities like Glasgow, Fort William, Inverness, Aberdeen and Kyle of Lochalsh.
Travel where you please whenever you want! Take as many trains as you like, there is no limit on the distance you can travel in a day. The BritRail Scottish Highlands Pass, to put it simply, offers unlimited travel at a fixed price!
Hop on hop off trains to visit any place you want. The BritRail Scottish Highlands Pass gives you access to all regular trains. It’s good to know that some trains need to be reserved in advance. The Things to know section explains everything you need to know about seat reservations.
Enjoy the bonuses which are included in the BritRail Scottish Highlands Pass. You will get discounted fares on Strathspey Steam Railway and the Keith & Dufftown Railway, discounted ferry trips with Northlink Ferries, discounted fares with S&E coaches and more.
The BritRail Scottish Highlands Pass is the key to have a hassle-free trip throughout Northern Scotland.
Things to know
Who can buy a rail pass?Any person living outside the participating countries can use the BritRail Scottish Highlands Pass. Please note that residents of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales are not eligible.
A seat reservation is a guaranteed seat on board a train.
Seat reservations are compulsory for high speed, international and night trains. However, as you will be travelling with a rail pass, you will only have to pay for a small reservation fee, as opposed to the usual standard fare.
Seats are generally available for reservation up to 90 days prior to departure and are limited. Book early to secure your seat!
We are not currently offering online seat reservations for high speed, international and night trains covered by the BritRail passes.You can book your seat reservation directly from train stations once you are in the United Kingdom.
Most regional trains do not require a seat reservation. Just hop on board with a valid rail pass, find a seat and relax as the train takes you to one of the many destinations served.
Children under 5 travel for free. Do not include them in your booking as they don’t need a rail pass. However if you want them to have a guaranteed seat on board high speed trains or a bed on board night trains, you must make a reservation before travelling.
Children from 5 to 15 travel. Free travel limited to 1 child when accompanied by an adult who is a holder of a valid BritRail Pass.
As a rail pass will still be issued for the child, please make sure you include him/her in your booking.
All additional children aged 5 to 15 will benefit from a discounted fare.
How to use a rail pass?
Taking local and regional trains allows you to explore at will. Simply board with your rail pass and choose any open seat. Reservations are required on most high speed, overnight, scenic, and international trains. We recommend always checking your desired journey for any specific seat reservation requirements.
Most rail passes include discounts and bonuses. Save money and make the most of your trip with your rail pass.
When available you will get hotel discounts, free entrance to museums, discounted boat trips and more.
And the BritRail Scottish Highlands Pass is packed with bonuses to make your trip even more enjoyable. You’ll get discounts museums & activities, and more.
With the BritRail Scottish Highlands Pass, the benefits like the connections it provides - are everywhere. Whether you are an adventurous traveler or avid planner, the BritRail Scottish Highlands Pass is your pass to freedom and an unforgettable journey of discovery.
- 10% discount standard fares to travel with with the Strathspey Steam Railway and the Keith & Dufftown Railway.
- 20% discount standard fares to travel with Northlink Ferries on the Scrabster to Stromness, Aberdeen to Lerwick and Aberdeen to Kirkwall/Lerwick routes.
- 10% discount standard fares to travel with D&E Coaches on the Inverness to Durness route.
- 10% discount standard fares to travel with the Caledonian MacBrayne Ferry.
Interactive Rail Map
Use our interactive travel map to plan your trip and view the rail network of each country covered by your rail pass.
The BritRail Scottish Highlands Pass is valid to travel on the following railway lines:
- Glasgow – Oban/FortWilliam/Mallaig
- Inverness – Kyle of Lochalsh
- Inverness – Wick/Thurso
- Inverness – Aberdeen
- Inverness – Aviemore
With the BritRail Scottish Highlands Pass, you can also travel on the following coach services and the Caledonian MacBrayne Ferry routes:
- Scottish Citylink/West Coast Motors on the route: Oban/Fort William – Inverness
- Stagecoach in the Highlands on the route: Thurso – Scrabster
- Oban – Mull (ferry route)
- Mallaig – Skye (ferry route)
- A. High speed AVE trains connect Madrid to cities including Barcelona and Seville, Malaga and Valencia. Travel time between Madrid and Barcelona is 2 hours and 30 minutes. You can also go to Seville from Madrid in 2 hours and 20 minutes. For longer journeys, Barcelona is 5 hours and 45 minutes from Malaga and 5 hours and 37 minutes from Seville.
- A. Your payment details will be encoded and sent using a secure connection. You can check the security details by clicking with your right mouse button on the payment page and then selecting ‘Properties’. A window will pop up containing all connection data. The ‘Connection’ field shows that an SSL connection is used. Your credit card information, including the number and expiration date, will not be stored.
- A. - Business class offers the highest class of service in trains. It will include 1st seats, meals , access to lounges, and no restrictions on being exchanged. Flexi First class offers on day train 1st class seat , and are the most exchangeable. Night trains will offer first class couchette (shared sleeping) or sleepers and are exchangeable. Meal service may be available for purchase. Best Price First class day trains will also offer 1st class seats with lowest ticket prices that may have restrictions. Meal service may be available for purchase. Night trains will offer first class couchette or sleepers and lowest ticket prices that may have restrictions. Flexi Second day trains will offer 2nd class seats that are exchangeable. Night trains offer lower comfort couchette (shared sleeping) or sleepers and are exchangeable. Best Price Second day trains will offer 2nd class seats with lowest ticket prices that may have restrictions. Night trains offer lower comfort couchette (shared sleeping) or sleepers with lowest ticket prices that may have restrictions. Super Saver class is available on night train only and will offer reclingin seats with with lowest ticket prices that may have restrictions.
- A. You can book your ICE train up to 3 months in advance.
- A. Breakfast is served before 11:00 a.m.; lunch is served between 11:00 a.m. and 2:00pm A snack is served between 2:00pm and 5:00pm Dinner is served after 5:00pm.
- A. The best-selling Eurail Global Pass offers unlimited, 1st Class train travel in 24 European countries: Austria, Belgium, Croatia, Bulgarian Denmark, Finland, Czech Republic, Germany, Greece, France, Ireland, Italy, Hungary, Netherlands, Norway, Luxembourg, Romania, Slovenia, Portugal, Slovakia, Switzerland, Spain, Sweden and Turkey. Choices range from 15 consecutive days to 3 months of travel or 10 and 15 flexible days within a 2-month time period, plus money-saving Eurail Global Pass bonuses. The Eurail Select Pass provides unlimited train travel for the duration you select in your choice of any 3, 4 or 5 countries that border each other, as well as attractive bonuses. Select from Austria, Benelux (Belgium, Luxembourg, and the Netherlands), Bulgaria/Serbia/Montenegro, Croatia/Slovenia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Republic of Ireland, Italy, Norway, Portugal, Romania, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and Turkey.
- A. Yes, you may travel as many times are you like between countries that are on your pass.
- A. From Germany, several cities in bordering countries can be reached. The Intercity Express (ICE) goes to Brussels, the DB Expressbus to Prague, the DB-ÖBB Eurocity to Kufstein and Innsbruck and the DB-ÖBB Eurocity to Bolzzano/Bozen, Verona, Bologna and Venice.
- A. Yes all high-speed trains require reservations. Some 1st class trains include meal service in the price of your ticket.
answered | Posted by arthur g. | Comments 0 | Created: 08/03/2016
answered | Posted by Keith W. | Comments 0 | Created: 12/05/2015
answered | Posted by Candice O. | Comments 0 | Created: 15/04/2015
answered | Posted by Danielle W. | Comments 0 | Created: 26/02/2015
answered | Posted by Cassandra O. | Comments 0 | Created: 24/02/2015