France Rail PassFrom AU$ 112 From AU$ 112 France : SNCF
- Unlimited travel in France.
- Children up to 11 travel for free. More details
- Youth (12 - 25) discounts available
The France Rail Pass is the most complete rail pass to visit France, the world leading tourist destination! Travel on board the high speed iconic TGV, or the modern regional trains (TER, Intercités…) to discover the multiple facets of France. From unique local traditions and regional cuisines to world known landmarks and vibrant cities, France has it all. This unique blend offers a magical feeling to all visitors. Paris, the capital city of France, is the starting point of any trip, while the French Riviera is the ultimate destination for a prestigious summer vacation. Of course the world class cuisine in Lyon or the champagne from Epernay are not to be missed!
With the France Rail Pass, you can travel where you please, whenever you want! Take as many trains as you like, there is no limit on the distance you can travel in a day. The France Rail Pass, to put it simply, offers unlimited travel at a fixed price!
Hop on hop off trains to visit any place you want. The France Rail Pass gives you access to all trains, but remember that premium trains require a seat reservation. The Things to know section explains everything you need to know about seat reservations.
Enjoy the bonuses which are included in the France Rail Pass. You will get discounted fares for selected hotels, reduced museum fares, and more.
The France Rail Pass is the key to have a hassle-free trip throughout France.
Things to know
Who can buy a rail pass?Any person living in a non-European country can use the France Rail Pass. Please note that residents of Tunisia, Morocco and Algeria are not eligible.
To travel on board high speed and night trains, you need to book a seat reservation.
Seat reservations are compulsory on most premium trains and are a guarantee to get a seat or a sleeping berth. As a pass holder, you will only be charged a fraction of the usual standard fare.
In most cases, you can reserve your seat up to 90 days in advance. Don’t wait too long to book your seat. They are limited!
Book a seat reservation with Rail Europe.
As an alternative to high speed and night trains, you can travel on board regional trains. Most don’t require a seat reservation when you have a rail pass so you won’t have to pay any extra charge. Just sit back and relax!
What is a Saver Pass?
A Saver Pass is a single pass listing the names of all people travelling together. It is offered to families or groups of 2 to 5 people.
- Adults usually get a 15% discount with a Saver Pass.
- Remember, children can travel for free with an adult. See conditions below.
Children under 4 travel for free. Do not include them in your booking as they don’t need a rail pass. However if you want them to have a guaranteed seat on board high speed trains or a bed on board night trains, you must make a reservation before travelling.
Children from 4 to 11 travel for free. As a rail pass will still be issued for them, please make sure you include them in your booking. For guaranteed seats on board high speed and night trains, please remember to book a seat for you and your children.
How to use a rail pass?
You must start using your rail pass within 11 months of the date of purchase.
To start using your rail pass, go to a European railway station where a railway official will fill-in your passport number and stamp your rail pass. On each travel day, please remember to write down the date on your rail pass.
Please ensure that all the above information is reflected on your rail pass. An unstamped rail pass or incomplete travel information can lead to a fine and payment of a full fare ticket.
A travel day starts from midnight and ends at midnight the next day. It lasts 24 hours. During that period, you can take as many trains as you want.
You can get a free travel day with the 7 PM rule when the four conditions below are met:
- Your rail pass should be activated by a rail official.
- You must travel on board a night train which departs after 7 pm, and this trip should be the first one you are taking during that day.
- You must reach your destination no later than 4 am on the following day.
- The arrival date must be within the validity of your rail pass.
The validity is the number of travel days of a rail pass.You can choose between flexible and consecutive validities.
Flexible validities allow you to choose which days you want to travel within the period covered by your rail pass.
E.g. For a rail pass with a validity of 5 days within 1 month. If you activate your rail pass on the 1st of the month, you can travel on the 3rd, 4th, 7th, 12th and 30th of this month.
Consecutive validities give you unlimited travel during consecutive days.
E.g. For a rail pass with a validity of 3 days continuous. By activating your rail pass on the 1st of the month, you can use it until the 3rd.
Rail pass benefits
Most rail passes include discounts and bonuses. Save money and make the most of your trip with your rail pass.
When available you will get hotel discounts, free entrance to museums, discounted boat trips and more.
Special Pass holder fare on several European operators and trains:
Lunea (overnight) trains
Paris-Germany Night Train
Château de Chambord
Special fare : 9€ instead of 11 for the visit of the castle
Château de Blois
from 1,5€ to 5€ discount for the visit of the castle, the sound and light show and the museum of magic
25% discount on entry tickets
La Mère Poulard
Mont Saint Michel
10% discount per room
Musée de Montmartre
15% discount at the entrance to the museum
10% discount on the 2nd show with half of a bottle of Champagne every days of the week // 10 % discount on the 1st show with half of a bottle of Champagne except Friday and Saturday and special days
Interactive Rail Map
The Interactive Travel Map will allow you to plan your trip easily in Europe. Type-in your itinerary or choose it directly from the map. You can even provide your travel dates to view trains and fares related to your itinerary.
- A. The pass can be purchased up to 6 months before your first travel day. The pass must be validated within 6 months of the original date of issue.
- A. You can travel in first or second class. It depends on the classes of services which correspond to your German Rail Pass. In the ExpressBus to/from Munich to Prague, only 2nd class is available.
- A. All 1 st class passes are valid for travel in all sleeper accommodations. If you have a 2 nd class pass, you are able to travel in T3 compartments and couchettes. Some T4 compartments are offered in 1 st and 2 nd class. Please be sure to check the details of the fare for the train you wish to travel on to determine what class the T4 is offered in.
- A. With a Eurail Italy pass, you can get free and discounted ferry crossings, as well as other great offers in museums and monuments. 1st class pass holders are entitled to free transfers between Roma Fiumicino Airport and Roma Termini train station on the Leonardo Express and also between Pisa airport and Florence central station.
- A. You will be able to book your TGV tickets 90 days in advance.
- A. 1st Class seats often recline, there are fewer seats per car, and there is more space for luggage. On some high-speed trains, the price of a 1st Class ticket includes a meal. 1st class is generally quieter with more business and adult passengers. 2nd Class accommodations are less expensive, but not as spacious, as there are more seats per car. For trips over 2 hours we recommend that you book 1st class.
- A. TGV trains offer a buffet car where you can find a vast choice of hot and cold meals. Drinks and snacks are also available at vending machines on all TGV trains. You are also allowed to bring your own food and drink onto the train.
- A. Sorry, partially used passes are not refundable.
- A. Yes, you may travel as many times as you like before Midnight on a travel day.
- A. Your payment details will be encoded and sent using a secure connection. You can check the security details by clicking with your right mouse button on the payment page and then selecting ‘Properties’. A window will pop up containing all connection data. The ‘Connection’ field shows that an SSL connection is used. Your credit card information, including the number and expiration date, will not be stored.
answered | Posted by Jonathon H. | Comments 0 | Created: 28/09/2016
answered | Posted by Shelley W. | Comments 0 | Created: 18/09/2016
answered | Posted by Jeff S. | Comments 0 | Created: 11/09/2016
answered | Posted by James T. | Comments 0 | Created: 06/09/2016
Our 1st class eurail global pass no is 37130723. i am unable to book seats onlin - amsterdam-paris-santiago de (...)Our 1st class Eurail Global Pass No is 37130723. We wish to booking for Amsterdam-Paris-Santiago de Compostela-Lisbon-Madrid-Barcelona-
answered | Posted by Ramaswsamy N. | Comments 0 | Created: 29/08/2016
Reviews & ratings France Rail Pass
Overall rating (53)
Overall appreciationExcellent 29% Very good 38% Average 21% Poor 11% Terrible 1%
- "France at a glance" Michelle m. 19/01/2016
Excellent way of travelling around the country Value for money Convenience
- "Smooth travel-Value for money" . 22/01/2015
Only improvement for Rail Europe - Travellers are not able to reserve seats closer to the time of actual travel. Once the seat is reserved online, traveller should be able to print out tickets themselves rather to have to wait for the tickets to be sent. This is not so convenient if travellers are overseas and therefore unable to use your system.
- "TGV STRIKE UPSETS TRAVEL PLANS" Michael d. 10/10/2014
We pre purchased tickets on 24 april for 3 trips in 30 days.. we had a pleasant trip to Decazevliie on friday 6th june where we stayed nearby in a B Value for money Convenience
- "Great Trip from Paris" Wyn v. 30/07/2014
Thanks for a comfortable and relaxing trip from Paris to Strasbourg. The train was on time and clean and comfortable. Staff were helpful and the best aspect was the booking and ticket delivery process via online and mail in Australia - very good experience. Value for money Convenience
- "Standard TGV" Thomas m. 16/07/2014
The only issue we had was that because we had to pre book the seats we had to allow time to spare in case of airline delays. Also the Station at CDG has very few seats and very litlle in the way of services. Other than that it was standard TGV. Comfortable, impaired vision as the panels between windows are very wide and a typically slack French buffet service. Value for money Convenience
- "Comfortable trip" . 13/12/2013
Sorry firstly you have the date wrong. I was not there on 29/06/2013. Don't know where you got that from ! Anyway in July we travelled by train in a Europe and it was very enjoyable. Comfortable and very convenient.
- "France Rail" . 23/10/2013
All good, except we found out after the third trip that there is no need to "compostage" (validate) your France Rail pass tickets because they were pre-purchased outside of France and are dated already. I was told this by a rail office in Sete when I approached them to do it manually as the machine on the platform was not working. The conductor/ticket inspector on the train also told me the same thing.
- "Adelaide to Avignon in one day" Robina w. 16/10/2013
We left home in Australia on Saturday and enjoyed a wonderful lunch in our Avignon hotel a day later thanks to being able to go from CDG Airport-Avignon TVG Station. A down side was the long wait at train station at CDG to verify our France Rail Pass. There needs to be a counter for quick transactions. Value for money Convenience
- "Passes worth having." Geraldine o. 07/10/2013
The trip on the Eurostar was very comfortable and seemed to take no time at all. We felt that the whole exercise on the trains (we had a France Pass as well) was cheap and convenient. The only thing to remember is to make sure you book in plenty of time as there are only a certain number of seats allocated for Euro Pass Holders. Value for money Convenience
- "Could have been good" Lee Stewart r. 02/10/2013
We were travelling over 5 weeks in France hence reasonably heavy suitcases - a no no if planning to travel a lot by train. Could have been informed about this in advance. Most stations had stairs to clamber up or down. We prebooked our tickets in plenty of time but were allocated seats at random although booking first class. We were always stressed and once nearly missed our connection as our seats were in the very last carriage. Such a pity. Do something about it. Value for money Convenience
- "great trains through France" Angela s. 21/09/2013
My husband and I found that the trains were always on time, mostly very comfortable and it was great having our tickets already pre-purchased before we left Australia as it made it so easy to just go to our platform and hop on a train without lining up for tickets. It was easier getting on and off trains than waiting to get on airport buses and at customs before getting on to planes. Trains took us right into the towns and cities we stayed in and often we could just walk to our hotels - it is good to only take a back pack or small suitcase in case you do need to climb stairs at any of the stations. It was a great way to travel through the French countryside. Value for money Convenience
- "Aix to Marseille" Alan h. 21/07/2013
Both rail stations were easy to navigate, including transfer to another train at Marseille. I am comfortable with the cost of a 4-day France Rail Pass although I did not seek to compare the cost of buying rail tickets in-country as and when needed. Value for money Convenience
- "pleasant, comfortable journey" . 26/06/2013
2nd class ticket, about 2 hours which was comfortable as the train was not full.