France Rail Pass From AU$ 198
€8.50 meal voucher
Book a France Rail Pass and get a meal voucher worth €8.50. Take some time to relax and enjoy a gourmet meal in the TGV Bar Car!
- Unlimited travel in France.
- Children under 4 travel for free.
- Youth (12 - 25) and senior (60+) discounts available
Reviews & ratings (53)
Why choose us?
3 million travellers in 2013
N° 1 distributor of train tickets.
Helpful travel experts
Ask any question on our Travel Forum.
All of Europe, one place to buy your tickets!
Rail Europe Travel+
Free coupons, train travel guide and more.
Member of Trusted Commerce program.
The France Rail Pass is the most complete rail pass to visit France, the world leading tourist destination! Travel on board the high speed iconic TGV, or the modern regional trains (TER, Intercités…) to discover the multiple facets of France. From unique local traditions and regional cuisines to world known landmarks and vibrant cities, France has it all. This unique blend offers a magical feeling to all visitors. Paris, the capital city of France, is the starting point of any trip, while the French Riviera is the ultimate destination for a prestigious summer vacation. Of course the world class cuisine in Lyon or the champagne from Epernay are not to be missed!
With the France Rail Pass, you can travel where you please, whenever you want! Take as many trains as you like, there is no limit on the distance you can travel in a day. The France Rail Pass, to put it simply, offers unlimited travel at a fixed price!
Hop on hop off trains to visit any place you want. The France Rail Pass gives you access to all trains, but remember that premium trains require a seat reservation. The Things to know section explains everything you need to know about seat reservations.
Enjoy the bonuses which are included in the France Rail Pass. You will get discounted fares for selected hotels, reduced museum fares, and more.
The France Rail Pass is the key to have a hassle-free trip throughout France.
Things to know
Who can buy a rail pass?Any persons living in a non-European country can use the France Rail Pass. Please note that residents of Tunisia, Morocco and Algeria are not eligible.
To travel on board high speed and night trains, you need to book a seat reservation.
Seat reservations are compulsory on most premium trains and are a guarantee to get a seat or a sleeping berth. As a pass holder, you will only be charged a fraction of the usual standard fare.
In most cases, you can reserve your seat up to 90 days in advance. Don’t wait too long to book your seat. They are limited!
Book a seat reservation with Rail Europe.
As an alternative to high speed and night trains, you can travel on board regional trains. Most don’t require a seat reservation when you have a rail pass so you won’t have to pay any extra charge. Just sit back and relax!
What is a Saver pass discount?
A Saver pass discount is offered to families and groups of 2 to 5 people when all parties are travelling together. Adults usually get a 15% discount and children get a 50% discount.
How to use a rail pass?
It is required that you start using your rail pass within 6 months of the date of purchase.
To use your rail pass for the first time, you have to go to any train station in Europe. A railway official will write down your passport number on the rail pass and stamp it. Don’t forget to write down the date of travel on your rail pass.
Please ensure that all the above information is reflected on your rail pass. An unstamped rail pass or incomplete travel information can lead to a fine and payment of a full fare ticket.
A travel day starts from midnight and ends at midnight the next day. It lasts 24 hours. During that period, you can take as many trains as you want.
You can get a free travel day with the 7 PM rule when the four conditions below are met:
- Your rail pass should be activated by a rail official.
- You must travel on board a night train which departs after 7 pm, and this trip should be the first one you are taking during that day.
- You must reach your destination no later than 4 am on the following day.
- The arrival date must be within the validity of your rail pass.
The validity is the number of travel days of a rail pass.
For a rail pass with a validity of 5 days within 1 month. If you activate your rail pass on the 1st of the month, you can travel on the 3rd, 4th, 7th, 12th and 30th of this month.
Rail pass benefits
Most rail passes include discounts and bonuses. Save money and make the most of your trip with your rail pass.
When available you will get hotel discounts, free entrance to museums, discounted boat trips and more.
Special Pass holder fare on several European operators and trains:
Lunea (overnight) trains
Paris-Germany Night Train
Château de Chambord
Special fare : 9€ instead of 11 for the visit of the castle
Château de Blois
from 1,5€ to 5€ discount for the visit of the castle, the sound and light show and the museum of magic
25% discount on entry tickets
La Mère Poulard
Mont Saint Michel
10% discount per room
Musée de Montmartre
15% discount at the entrance to the museum
10% discount on the 2nd show with half of a bottle of Champagne every days of the week // 10 % discount on the 1st show with half of a bottle of Champagne except Friday and Saturday and special days
50% discount on the Strasbourg Pass
Interactive Rail Map
The Interactive Travel Map will allow you to plan your trip easily in Europe. Type-in your itinerary or choose it directly from the map. You can even provide your travel dates to view trains and fares related to your itinerary.
- A. When travelling with Thalys, you can carry a maximum of two suitcases per paying passenger (the largest side must be equal to 85 centimetres) and one item of hand luggage.
Q.Can I get off the train for a few hours and then get back on later that day if I'm holding a train ticket?A. A ticket that does not include a reservation for a specific train, does allow you to get on and off the train as much as you would like provided that your journey is completed within 2 months. Most tickets now include the reservations within the ticket, and do not permit the traveler to hop on or off the train If you are looking for more freedom to hop on and off the train, a railpass would be the best choice.
- A. First class on the Italian day train offers large, comfortable reclining seats, and bar-buffet car offering a complete selection of food and beverages for purchase. (on major routes) Second class on the Italian day train offers generous legroom and bar-buffet car offering a complete selection of food and beverages for purchase. (on major routes)
- A. Like most high-speed train services, you’ll need to reserve a seat to travel on Frecciarossa trains. For holders of Eurail Global Pass, Eurail Select Pass (including Italy) / Eurail France-Italy pass / Eurail Greece-Italy / Eurail Italy Pass, just remember that you need to validate your pass before boarding a Frecciarossa train.
- A. Finding Train Tickets and Schedules can be accomplished with just a few simple steps. First click on the "Train Tickets" section, located on the top of any page. There you will find a form asking for your departure city and arrival city and the date that you would like to travel. You will also be asked the approximate time that you want to travel (morning, afternoon or evening). If you would like to book a round trip ticket, just click on the "Round Trip" option and provide the information for your return trip on the same page. Once all of your information has been entered and you have clicked "Search" you will be presented with a number of results to choose from. First, you will want to look through the times offered to see what the best schedule for your travel. Once you have chosen a schedule, you should begin to look at the prices that are offered. Fares are typically broken down into categories, Business, Flexi First, Best Price First, Flexi Second, Best Price Second and Super Saver. Best Price First and Best Price Second are classes tickets being more restrictive in terms of flexibility. Flexi First, Flexi second and Business are classes offering more flexibility. Although these classifications do apply to several different train types, it is always recommended that you click on the "Details" link under each fare type to show the specific refund and exchange rules for that price. Once you have decided on the train and fare that you would like to purchase, click on the "select" link, which will take you to the passenger selection page. Once you have input your passenger information you can choose to continue shopping or proceed to the checkout process.
- A. The AVE offers 2 first class options they are called Club class and Preferente class. Club class on the AVE offers access to the AVE lounges at the rail stations, large comfortable reclining seats, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat, and friendly staff serves you drinks and light snacks at your seat. This class of service offers tables for each seat. Preferente class on the AVE offers access to the AVE lounges at the rail stations, large comfortable reclining seats, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat, and friendly staff serves you drinks and light snacks at your seat. Tourist class (2nd Class) on the AVE offers generous legroom, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat and a bar-buffet car offering a selection of food and beverages for purchase.
- A. You can use your Eurail Select pass on the national rail networks of the adjoining countries chosen when buying your Eurail Pass. Here is the list of the countries participating to the program: Austria, Benelux, Bulgaria, Croatia-Slovenia, Czech Republic Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Montenegro-Serbia, Norway, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Romania, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland.
- A. If you are having trouble determining what is the best pass for you, click on the blue square button " Search passes ". You'll be helped, on line, to select the best pass for your trip.
Q. Can I borrow my travel partner’s rail pass if I prefer visiting Prague and that my partner wants to visit Hamburg?A. No, this is not possible as the extension must be accompanied by your nominative rail pass bearing your passport number, name and country of residence.
- A. Your e-ticket is included in the email confirmation you receive from Rail Europe.
answered | Posted by Danielle L. | Comments 0 | Created: 21/05/2015
answered | Posted by Rene L. | Comments 0 | Created: 19/05/2015
answered | Posted by Susan P. | Comments 0 | Created: 17/05/2015
answered | Posted by Keith W. | Comments 0 | Created: 12/05/2015
answered | Posted by HELEN G. | Comments 0 | Created: 10/05/2015
Reviews & ratings
Overall rating (53)
Overall appreciationExcellent 29% Very good 38% Average 21% Poor 11% Terrible 1%
"TGV STRIKE UPSETS TRAVEL PLANS"Michael d.
We pre purchased tickets on 24 april for 3 trips in 30 days.. we had a pleasant trip to Decazevliie on friday 6th june where we stayed nearby in a B Value for money Convenience
"Great Trip from Paris"Wyn v. 30/07/2014
Thanks for a comfortable and relaxing trip from Paris to Strasbourg. The train was on time and clean and comfortable. Staff were helpful and the best aspect was the booking and ticket delivery process via online and mail in Australia - very good experience. Value for money Convenience
"Standard TGV"Thomas m. 16/07/2014
The only issue we had was that because we had to pre book the seats we had to allow time to spare in case of airline delays. Also the Station at CDG has very few seats and very litlle in the way of services. Other than that it was standard TGV. Comfortable, impaired vision as the panels between windows are very wide and a typically slack French buffet service. Value for money Convenience
"Passes worth having."Geraldine o. 07/10/2013
The trip on the Eurostar was very comfortable and seemed to take no time at all. We felt that the whole exercise on the trains (we had a France Pass as well) was cheap and convenient. The only thing to remember is to make sure you book in plenty of time as there are only a certain number of seats allocated for Euro Pass Holders. Value for money Convenience
"Could have been good"Lee Stewart r. 02/10/2013
We were travelling over 5 weeks in France hence reasonably heavy suitcases - a no no if planning to travel a lot by train. Could have been informed about this in advance. Most stations had stairs to clamber up or down. We prebooked our tickets in plenty of time but were allocated seats at random although booking first class. We were always stressed and once nearly missed our connection as our seats were in the very last carriage. Such a pity. Do something about it. Value for money Convenience
"great trains through France"Angela s. 21/09/2013
My husband and I found that the trains were always on time, mostly very comfortable and it was great having our tickets already pre-purchased before we left Australia as it made it so easy to just go to our platform and hop on a train without lining up for tickets. It was easier getting on and off trains than waiting to get on airport buses and at customs before getting on to planes. Trains took us right into the towns and cities we stayed in and often we could just walk to our hotels - it is good to only take a back pack or small suitcase in case you do need to climb stairs at any of the stations. It was a great way to travel through the French countryside. Value for money Convenience
"Aix to Marseille"Alan h. 21/07/2013
Both rail stations were easy to navigate, including transfer to another train at Marseille. I am comfortable with the cost of a 4-day France Rail Pass although I did not seek to compare the cost of buying rail tickets in-country as and when needed. Value for money Convenience