German Rail PassFrom AU$ 227 From AU$ 227 Germany : DB
Up to 20% off German Rail Passes
Get 20% off the 7, 10 and 15-day, or 10% off the 5 day German Rail Pass when you book the German Rail Pass Promotion. Offer valid until March 29, 2017. Travel by May 31, 2017.
- Unlimited travel in Germany and extra trips to Brussels, Prague, cities in Austria and Italy on selected trains.
- Discount for 2 people travelling together with the Twin Pass.
- Children up to 11 travel for free.
- Youth (12 - 27) discounts available
5.5 milliontravellers in 2015
75+years of rail travel experience
The German Rail Pass will take you to iconic cities like Berlin, Munich, Leipzig and Frankfurt. The German Rail Pass is the most exhaustive rail pass to travel in Germany, but also to neighbouring countries on board selected trains. You can prolong your visit to:
- Brussels (Belgium) to Germany on board ICE international high speed trains.
- Kufstein and Innsbruck (Austria) on DB-OBB Eurocity trains.
- Bolzano, Verona, Bologna and Venice (Italy) on DB-OBB Eurocity trains.
- Prague (Czech Rep.) on DB IC Bus services from Munich and Nuremberg.
- Krakow (Poland) on DB IC bus services from Berlin.
Travel where you please whenever you want! Take as many trains as you like, there is no limit on the distance you can travel in a day. The German Rail Pass, to put it simply, offers unlimited travel at a fixed price!
Hop on hop off trains to visit any place you want. The German Rail Pass gives you access to ICE high speed trains, InterCity (IC) and EuroCity (EC). It’s good to know that some trains, including ICE sprinter, international ICE to France, Berlin Warsaw Express and City Night Line need to be reserved in advance. The Things to know section explains everything you need to know about seat reservations.
Enjoy the bonuses which are included in the German Rail Pass. You will get discounted fares for selected hotels, discounted fares to travel on board selected coaches and more.
The German Rail Pass is the key to have a hassle-free trip throughout Germany and beyond!
Things to know
Who can buy a rail pass?Any person living in a non-European country can use the German Rail Pass. Please note that residents of Russia and Turkey are not eligible.
A seat reservation is a guaranteed seat on board a train.
Seat reservations are compulsory for high speed, international and night trains. However, as you will be travelling with a rail pass, you will only have to pay for a small reservation fee, as opposed to the usual standard fare.
Seats are generally available for reservation up to 90 days prior to departure and are limited. Book early to secure your seat!
We are not currently offering online seat reservations for high speed, international and night trains covered by the BritRail passes.You can book your seat reservation directly from train stations once you are in the United Kingdom.
Most regional trains do not require a seat reservation. Just hop on board with a valid rail pass, find a seat and relax as the train takes you to one of the many destinations served.
What is a Twin pass?A Twin Pass is a single pass listing the names of all people travelling together. It is offered to 2 adults travelling together.
- The 2nd adult get a 50% discount with the Twin Pass.
- Remember, children can travel for free with an adult. See conditions below.
Children under 6 travel for free. Do not include them in your booking as they don’t need a rail pass. However if you want them to have a guaranteed seat on board high speed trains or a bed on board night trains, you must make a reservation before travelling.
Children from 6 to 11 travel for free. As a rail pass will still be issued for them, please make sure you include them in your booking. For guaranteed seats on board high speed and night trains, please remember to book a seat for you and your children.
How to use a rail pass?
Taking local and regional trains allows you to explore at will. Simply board with your rail pass and choose any open seat. Reservations are required on most high speed, overnight, scenic, and international trains. We recommend always checking your desired journey for any specific seat reservation requirements.
Most rail passes include discounts and bonuses. Save money and make the most of your trip with your rail pass.
When available you will get hotel discounts, free entrance to museums, discounted boat trips and more.
And the German Rail Pass is packed with bonuses to make your trip even more enjoyable. You’ll get discounts on buses and trains, hotels, cruises & ferries, museums & activities, and more.
With the German Rail Pass, the benefits like the connections it provides - are everywhere. Whether you are an adventurous traveler or avid planner, the German Rail Pass is your pass to freedom and an unforgettable journey of discovery.
Discount for river boats on the Rine and Moselle
- The German Rail Pass offers discount for the river boats operated by the Köln-Düsseldorfer Rheinschiffahrt AG; between Cologne and Mainz on the Rhine; and between Koblenz and Cochem on the Moselle river. This offer is not valid for boats with cabins or multi day river cruises.
- More info: www.k-d.de
50% discount on steamer boats on the Lake Constance
- The German Rail Pass entitles you to 50% discount on steamers on the Lake Constance (German: Bodensee). Lake Constance can be reached by train, for example by travelling from Munich or Stuttgart to Friedrichshafen.
- The boats are operated by Bodensee-Schiffsbetriebe (BSB) between April and mid-October. BSB has ticket offices in Konstanz, Friedrichshafen, Lindau, Überlingen and Meersburg.
- More info: www.bsb-online.com (German only)
20% discount on Europabus Romantic Road
- German Rail Pass holders get 20% discount on the regular fare of the Europabus motorcoach on the ‘Romantic Road’ (German: Romantische Strasse). It runs daily from April to October on the route: Frankfurt/M - Würzburg - Rothenburg ob der Tauber - Augsburg - Munich - Füssen. Enjoy medieval towns, vineyards and the famous royal castles of Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau.
- The motorcoaches are operated by Touring Tours & Travel. We kindly advise to reserve seats about two working days in advance through Touring Tours & Travel, email: firstname.lastname@example.org, phone +49 (0) 69 719126 261 or fax +49 (0) 69 719126 156.
- It is recommended to reserve seats about two working days in advance on-line at: www.romanticroadcoach.de
10% discount on rack railways from Bayerische Zugspitzbahn
- With the German Rail Pass you get 10% discount on the rack railway trains between Garmisch-Partenkirchen - Grainau - Zugspitzplatt.
- These cogwheel trains are operated by Bayerische Zugspitzbahn. Garmisch-Partenkirchen can be reached by train in less than 1,5 hours from Munich. - More info: www.zugspitze.de
Reduced fare on the Expressbus Nuremberg-Prague and Munich-Prague
- German Rail Pass holders are entitled to a special fare on the "Expressbus" motorcoach service from Nuremberg to Prague (Praha) in the Czech Republic.
- Discounted tickets and the compulsory reservations are available at the ticket windows of Prague or Nuremberg. In Czech Republic the special ticket and reservations are issued separately, while in Germany the ticket includes the reservation.
Discount on the trains for pass holders
- German Rail Pass holders have free access to trains however on long-distance trains such as ICE (Intercity-Express), IC (Intercity) or EC (Eurocity) reservations are recommended during peak travel times.
- The German Rail Pass exempts the holder from paying a surcharge on German High Speed trains such as ICE (except ICE Sprinter with compulsory reservation and supplement for special on-board service), InterCity (IC) and EuroCity (EC).
- Reservation is compulsory onboard ICE sprinter, international ICE to France, Berlin Warsaw Express and City Night Line trains and German Rail Pass holders are entitled to a special reduced fare.
A&O Hostels and Hotels: 10% discount on the daily rate
- The discount is granted for advance bookings only.
- Advance reservations can be made via the following channels – clients should mention either “rail pass” during the booking process: Online via the dedicated bookings link: www.aohostels.com/railpass By phone: free call numbers: 0800 225722 (within Germany) or 0800 228807 (within Austria) By phone – central reservations ++49 30 80 947 5110 Note that a valid pass must also be presented upon check-in The discount is granted in the following A&O Hostels and Hotels in Germany, Austria and Czech Republic.
Interactive Rail Map
Use our interactive travel map to plan your trip and view the rail network of each country covered by your rail pass.
- A. Heathrow Express arrives in London's Paddington Station.
- A. Sorry, partially used passes are not refundable.
- A. The best option for 3 passengers is a T3 if it is available. T3 compartments are not offered on all trains. If a T3 is not available then passengers will be advised to divide their party. You can also book a T4 or T6 based on availability and restrictions.
- A. Eurostar Business Premier passengers will be offered a 3-course meal with refreshments at seat meanwhile in Standard Premier, you will get a light and cold meal with refreshments at seat. A bar buffet car with a selection of food and beverages for purchase is also available on Standard class.
- A. - Business class offers the highest class of service in trains. It will include 1st seats, meals , access to lounges, and no restrictions on being exchanged. Flexi First class offers on day train 1st class seat , and are the most exchangeable. Night trains will offer first class couchette (shared sleeping) or sleepers and are exchangeable. Meal service may be available for purchase. Best Price First class day trains will also offer 1st class seats with lowest ticket prices that may have restrictions. Meal service may be available for purchase. Night trains will offer first class couchette or sleepers and lowest ticket prices that may have restrictions. Flexi Second day trains will offer 2nd class seats that are exchangeable. Night trains offer lower comfort couchette (shared sleeping) or sleepers and are exchangeable. Best Price Second day trains will offer 2nd class seats with lowest ticket prices that may have restrictions. Night trains offer lower comfort couchette (shared sleeping) or sleepers with lowest ticket prices that may have restrictions. Super Saver class is available on night train only and will offer reclingin seats with with lowest ticket prices that may have restrictions.
- A. Travel from London - Paris/Brussels and most of the train stations in between these 2 routes. For more detailed information on how to use a Eurostar self service kiosk review: How do I retrieve my e-tickets at Eurostar train stations ?
- A. There is no check in or customs procedures for Italo trains. However ticket control or ID checks can occur randomly on board. Make sure to have your travel documents with you at all times.
- A. Your e-ticket is included in the email confirmation you receive from Rail Europe.
- A. Validation of your pass is having a Rail Official at the train station stamp your pass as valid.
- A. The Swiss Family Card is a terrific value that allows children under 16 years of age to travel free when accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. The card is free, simply request one at the time you purchase your Swiss Pass. If you forget to mention it, then present your Swiss pass before boarding the train at any Swiss train station ticket window, at the time of validation and advise them that you need a Family Card. They will be able to provide you one.
answered | Posted by Ellie C. | Comments 0 | Created: 17/03/2017
answered | Posted by Kerrie S. | Comments 0 | Created: 14/03/2017
Enough time to get off train in verona for quick visit of juliets house then catch later train to veniceHi, Was wondering on a Sunday in early July, we are taking a train from Munich to Verona but are actually on our way to Venice for (...)
answered | Posted by Kerrie E. | Comments 0 | Created: 12/03/2017
answered | Posted by Allan B. | Comments 2 | Created: 01/03/2017
answered | Posted by John C. | Comments 0 | Created: 24/02/2017
Reviews & ratings German Rail Pass
Overall rating (36)
Overall appreciationExcellent 50% Very good 35% Average 13% Poor 2% Terrible 0%
- "Family Holiday" Rigby g. 11/10/2016
Trains clean and on time. Reservations are important on the longer journeys to avoid inconvenience. Value for money Convenience
- "Scenic and comfortable" Chye Huat o. 05/10/2016
Ideal way of travelling around Germany if you are visiting the small towns which do not have airports. The trains are punctual and comfortable. The most important thing to remember is to travel light because you have to lug your luggage on to the trains yourselves and some of the older stations do not have escalators. Value for money Convenience
- "No problems" Lotars g. 19/10/2015
A short inconvenience booking seats duesseldorf to berlin but no problems Value for money Convenience
- "Frankfurt to puttgarden" Julien h. 24/08/2014
We love travelling by train but this 11.05 train was very crowded and had a lot of trouble getting to our reserved seats and then had trouble getting the people out of our seats. The trip was good once we got our seats but when we got to hamburg we didn't notice that they had changed platforms from 8 to 5 so missed our train. Had to stand on the next one. Please keep an eye out for this as very hard to hear the speaker. We wouldn't travel any other way and it is the only trouble we have ever had. Value for money Convenience
- "A great travel alternative" Paul h. 29/01/2014
We travelled from Franfurt to Munich, Berlin, East Germany, Koln, The Ruhr Valley and finally Hannover on a Germain Rail Pass 5 day in one month. Trains in Germany are excellent, well maintained, comfortable, well appointed and very reliable most of the time, Staff are good and you can normally find yourself understood with just English. In main cities and on main routes, station and information announcements are made in both German and English usually. As you might expect, there is strictly no smoking on trains and within an increasing number of stations but you can certainly get alcohol on most routes. For those who like a puff, you can still find the occassional yellow marked area in some stations for smokers where you can feel like a modern day leper and indulge your nictotine habit. The rail pass represents excellent value for money as the trips individually are considerably more expensive when purchased seperately in country. Value for money Convenience
- "German pass" Gunnar f. 04/01/2014
Value excellent. Would DEFINITELY buy as much rail here as possible as rail in Germany very expensive!!! Only hiccups we had were ... we didn't get our first trip signed off 2nd conductor a bit peeved!! Also accidently got on the wrong type of train in Frankfurt and had to change next stop . Value for money Convenience
- "Germany" Paul s. 16/12/2013
the booking and seat reservation process for Deutsche Bahn was easy. the trains in Germany were good and the comfortable. We reserved first class seats. Definitely a great way to travel between destinations in Europe. Value for money Convenience
- "organisation" . 19/10/2013
Excellent service, enjoyed using ferry service on Lake Constance