Why choose us?
3 million travellers in 2013
N° 1 distributor of train tickets.
Helpful travel experts
Ask any question on our Travel Forum.
All of Europe, one place to buy your tickets!
Rail Europe Travel+
Free coupons, train travel guide and more.
Member of Trusted Commerce program.
German Rail Pass
From AU$ 234
Reviews & ratings (114)
Book before 05/12/2014 and save 25% on your pass!
- Destinations: unlimited travel on the national rail network of Germany. Use an extension to travel beyond Germany.
- German Rail Pass Extension: Perfect add-on for unlimited travel beyond Germany to cities like Brussels, Prague, Bologna, Venice and more.
- Seat reservation: Not included in the pass. Must be booked separately.
Book your German Rail Pass
|By checking this box, I certify that all selected parties will be travelling together.|| |
German Rail Pass
Travel days The travel days indicate how often you can use a railpass.
| Prices are |
displayed in AUD.
1 to 10 pax
Child Children up to 4 travel free and those aged under 12 get a discount.
1 to 10 pax
Senior Senior travellers aged 60 or over get a discount.
1 to 10 pax
Youth Travellers aged 12 to 25 get a discount.
1 to 10 pax
|7 days (within 1 month)||$||412 329.5 306 244.5||206 n/a 153 n/a||n/a n/a n/a n/a||n/a n/a 244 n/a|
|10 days (within 1 month)||$||519 415 385 307.5||260 n/a 193 n/a||n/a n/a n/a n/a||n/a n/a 308 n/a|
25% Off Fare conditions
|3 days (within 1 month)||$||394 315 293 233.5||197 n/a 147 n/a||n/a n/a n/a n/a||n/a n/a 234 n/a|
|4 days (within 1 month)||$||424 338.5 314 250.5||212 n/a 157 n/a||n/a n/a n/a n/a||n/a n/a 252 n/a|
|5 days (within 1 month)||$||454 363.5 336 269.5||227 n/a 168 n/a||n/a n/a n/a n/a||n/a n/a 270 n/a|
|6 days (within 1 month)||$||501 400.5 371 297||251 n/a 186 n/a||n/a n/a n/a n/a||n/a n/a 297 n/a|
|7 days (within 1 month)||$||550 439 407 325.5||275 n/a 204 n/a||n/a n/a n/a n/a||n/a n/a 326 n/a|
|10 days (within 1 month)||$||692 553.5 512 409.5||346 n/a 256 n/a||n/a n/a n/a n/a||n/a n/a 411 n/a|
Free booking fees for Eurostar tickets and Eurail passes (for a limited time only!). 5 AU$ for tickets not requiring a seat assignment and 7 AU$ for all other passes.
No delivery fees for e- tickets. 7 AU$ for paper tickets and rail passes or 16 AU$ if you require special courier delivery.
Make the most of your trip to Germany
Germany is a large country with landscapes ranging from mountains to lakes, forests and enchanting castles as well as picturesque towns and villages.
Germany also has vibrant cities like Berlin, Munich and Frankfurt at its heart, places full of culture, history, art, nightlife and restaurants. Taking the train is undoubtedly the best way to see this varied and beautiful country.
German Rail Pass Extension: This extension to your German Rail Pass means that you can travel to cities and countries outside Germany, including Brussels, Prague and cities in Austria and Italy. You can buy the pass extension by clicking on buy the German Rail Pass Extension.
Who can getAny person living in a non-European country for more than 6 months can use the German Rail Pass. Please note that residents of Russia and Turkey are not eligible to use it.
How to useValidation
- Passes must be validated within 6 months of issuing date by a railway official in one of the countries mentioned on the rail pass (station’s desk) who also fills in the passport number.
- Passes must be validated prior to boarding 1st train (All parties must be present when validating a Saverpass).
- The date of travel has to be entered in the correct way before boarding the first train, by the traveller, in the corresponding box of the calendar.
The 7PM rule allows you to benefit from a free travel day. Make sure that the following conditions are respected:
- Your pass should be activated
- You should not have travelled by train prior to your boarding on the departure day
- Board a night train after 7:00 pm
- Arrive at your destination after 4:00 am on the next day
- The arrival date should be within the validity of the pass
If the conditions are not respected, then you have to enter the departure and arrival dates on your pass.
How to activate your pass?You must activate or validate your rail pass at the train station. A railway staff will write down the first and last day of validity on your pass and will stamp it. This procedure must be done before using your rail pass.Click on the link to view the features that are necessary to activate a German Rail Pass .
Free transport on river boats on the Rine and Moselle
- The German Rail Pass is valid for free travel on the river boats operated by the Köln-Düsseldorfer Rheinschiffahrt AG; between Cologne and Mainz on the Rhine; and between Koblenz and Cochem on the Moselle river. This offer is not valid for boats with cabins or multi day river cruises.
- More info: www.k-d.de
50% discount on steamer boats on the Lake Constance
- The German Rail Pass entitles you to 50% discount on steamers on the Lake Constance (German: Bodensee). Lake Constance can be reached by train, for example by travelling from Munich or Stuttgart to Friedrichshafen.
- The boats are operated by Bodensee-Schiffsbetriebe (BSB) between April and mid-October. BSB has ticket offices in Konstanz, Friedrichshafen, Lindau, Überlingen and Meersburg.
- More info: www.bsb-online.com (German only)
20% discount on Europabus Romantic Road
- German Rail Pass holders get 20% discount on the regular fare of the Europabus motorcoach on the ‘Romantic Road’ (German: Romantische Strasse). It runs daily from April to October on the route: Frankfurt/M - Würzburg - Rothenburg ob der Tauber - Augsburg - Munich - Füssen. Enjoy medieval towns, vineyards and the famous royal castles of Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau.
- The motorcoaches are operated by Touring Tours & Travel. We kindly advise to reserve seats about two working days in advance through Touring Tours & Travel, email: firstname.lastname@example.org, phone +49 (0) 69 719126 261 or fax +49 (0) 69 719126 156.
- It is recommended to reserve seats about two working days in advance on-line at: www.romanticroadcoach.de
10% discount on rack railways from Bayerische Zugspitzbahn
- With the German Rail Pass you get 10% discount on the rack railway trains between Garmisch-Partenkirchen - Grainau - Zugspitzplatt.
- These cogwheel trains are operated by Bayerische Zugspitzbahn. Garmisch-Partenkirchen can be reached by train in less than 1,5 hours from Munich. - More info: www.zugspitze.de
Reduced fare on the Expressbus Nuremberg-Prague and Munich-Prague
- German Rail Pass holders are entitled to a special fare on the "Expressbus" motorcoach service from Nuremberg to Prague (Praha) in the Czech Republic.
- Discounted tickets and the compulsory reservations are available at the ticket windows of Prague or Nuremberg. In Czech Republic the special ticket and reservations are issued separately, while in Germany the ticket includes the reservation.
Discount on the trains for pass holders
- German Rail Pass holders have free access to trains however on long-distance trains such as ICE (Intercity-Express), IC (Intercity) or EC (Eurocity) reservations are recommended during peak travel times.
- The German Rail Pass exempts the holder from paying a surcharge on German High Speed trains such as ICE (except ICE Sprinter with compulsory reservation and supplement for special on-board service), InterCity (IC) and EuroCity (EC).
- Reservation is compulsory onboard ICE sprinter, international ICE to France, Berlin Warsaw Express and City Night Line trains and German Rail Pass holders are entitled to a special reduced fare.
A&O Hostels and Hotels: 10% discount on the daily rate
- The discount is granted for advance bookings only.
- Advance reservations can be made via the following channels – clients should mention either “rail pass” during the booking process: Online via the dedicated bookings link: www.aohostels.com/railpass By phone: free call numbers: 0800 225722 (within Germany) or 0800 228807 (within Austria) By phone – central reservations ++49 30 80 947 5110 Note that a valid pass must also be presented upon check-in The discount is granted in the following A&O Hostels and Hotels in Germany, Austria and Czech Republic.
Making the most of train travel in Germany is easy with the German Rail Pass.
It’s the most flexible, hassle-free way to explore the country and it offers travellers unlimited travel on the Deutsch Railways (Deutsche Bahn) in both First and Second Class.
An added benefit to getting the German Rail Pass is the partnerships with other international train companies. Travelling across Europe becomes a lot easier with special offers on the Berlin Warszawa Express, Paris-Germany Night Trains and more.
Reviews & ratings
Overall rating (114)
Overall appreciationExcellent 50% Very good 35% Average 13% Poor 2% Terrible 0%
"Frankfurt to puttgarden"Julien h.
We love travelling by train but this 11.05 train was very crowded and had a lot of trouble getting to our reserved seats and then had trouble getting the people out of our seats. The trip was good once we got our seats but when we got to hamburg we didn't notice that they had changed platforms from 8 to 5 so missed our train. Had to stand on the next one. Please keep an eye out for this as very hard to hear the speaker. We wouldn't travel any other way and it is the only trouble we have ever had. Value for money Convenience
"A great travel alternative"Paul h. 29/01/2014
We travelled from Franfurt to Munich, Berlin, East Germany, Koln, The Ruhr Valley and finally Hannover on a Germain Rail Pass 5 day in one month. Trains in Germany are excellent, well maintained, comfortable, well appointed and very reliable most of the time, Staff are good and you can normally find yourself understood with just English. In main cities and on main routes, station and information announcements are made in both German and English usually. As you might expect, there is strictly no smoking on trains and within an increasing number of stations but you can certainly get alcohol on most routes. For those who like a puff, you can still find the occassional yellow marked area in some stations for smokers where you can feel like a modern day leper and indulge your nictotine habit. The rail pass represents excellent value for money as the trips individually are considerably more expensive when purchased seperately in country. Value for money Convenience
"German pass"Gunnar f. 04/01/2014
Value excellent. Would DEFINITELY buy as much rail here as possible as rail in Germany very expensive!!! Only hiccups we had were ... we didn't get our first trip signed off 2nd conductor a bit peeved!! Also accidently got on the wrong type of train in Frankfurt and had to change next stop . Value for money Convenience
"Germany"Paul s. 16/12/2013
the booking and seat reservation process for Deutsche Bahn was easy. the trains in Germany were good and the comfortable. We reserved first class seats. Definitely a great way to travel between destinations in Europe. Value for money Convenience