Swiss Half Fare CardSwiss Travel System
- Offers 50% discount to use trains, buses, boats and public transportations in 75 cities.
- Children under 16 travel for free.
travellers in 2015
years of rail travel experience
With an excellent rail network and public transportation, Switzerland is a country which is easy to visit. The Swiss Half Fare Card offers a 50% discount for one month of travel.
Things to know
Who can buy a rail pass?Any person living outside the participating countries can use the Swiss Half Fare Card. Please note that residents of Switzerland and Liechtenstein are not eligible.
A seat reservation is a guaranteed seat on board a train.
Seat reservations are compulsory for high speed, international and night trains. However, as you will be travelling with a rail pass, you will only have to pay for a small reservation fee, as opposed to the usual standard fare.
Seats are generally available for reservation up to 90 days prior to departure and are limited. Book early to secure your seat!
We are not currently offering online seat reservations for high speed, international and night trains covered by the BritRail passes.You can book your seat reservation directly from train stations once you are in the United Kingdom.
Most regional trains do not require a seat reservation. Just hop on board with a valid rail pass, find a seat and relax as the train takes you to one of the many destinations served.
How to use a rail pass?
Most trains in Switzerland do not require reservations. You can simply board with your rail pass and take any open seat.
Most rail passes include discounts and bonuses. Save money and make the most of your trip with your rail pass.
When available you will get hotel discounts, free entrance to museums, discounted boat trips and more.
- 50% discount when travelling on board trains, buses and boats.
- 50% discount when using urban public transport in 75 towns.
- Free travel for children under 16, accompanied by a parent, holder of a Swiss Family Card.
Interactive Rail Map
Use our interactive travel map to plan your trip and view the rail network of each country covered by your rail pass.
Use your Swiss Half Fare Card to have unlimited travel in Switzerland. Discover the various landscapes of the Swiss Alps, the green pastures and the beautiful lakes. Visit cities like Bern, Lausanne and Zurich.
- A. AVE services offer two different classes of travel: in first class, depending on the train, you will be able to choose between First Class Club and Preferente where you can enjoy a meal served at seat, an access to VIP lounges in the main Spanish railways stations, daily press and free parking (24 hours if you have a single ticket, 48 hours for a return). Turista class, as known as 2nd class, includes a family area, children’s board games, wheelchair facilities as well as audio/video devices.
- A. Travel from London - Paris/Brussels and most of the train stations in between these 2 routes. For more detailed information on how to use a Eurostar self service kiosk review: How do I retrieve my e-tickets at Eurostar train stations ?
- A. Like most high-speed trains in Europe, you need to make a booking when travelling with Thalys. Passholders with passes covering the whole Thalys route (Eurail Global Pass, Eurail Select Pass including France, Benelux or Germany, depending on the route, Eurail and Benelux-France) benefit from special Passholder fares. Just bear in mind that some passes covering partially the Thalys sector like France Rail Pass but also Eurail passes including Benelux-France / France-Germany / France-Italy / France-Spain / France-Switzerland / Benelux also offer special Passholder deals. German Rail Pass is not valid on Thalys routes to Germany.
- A. You can print your tickets from the convenience of your home or you can retrieve them from self-service machines in London St Pancras, Brussels Midi or Paris Nord station before boarding your Eurostar train.
Q. Can I get a discount on train travel in Great Britain when I purchase a Eurail or Eurail Select Pass?A. No, but you are eligible for a passholder fare on Eurostar, which travels from Paris or Brussels to London. For travel in Great Britain we offer BritRail products to help you travel around the country.
Q. How do I file a request to receive reimbursement through the Rail Protection Plan if there has been loss or theft ?A. Pass/ticket holders must file a police report within twenty-four (24) hours of the incident. Pass/ticket holders may purchase a replacement rail pass or rail tickets in order to continue with his/her travel plans. Upon return to your country, pass/tickets holder must submit a request to Rail Europe within thirty (30) days including a police report, replacement passes or tickets purchased abroad, airline tickets to/from Europe. A brief explanation of the situation is also necessary to better evaluate the traveler request form.
- A. You can make reservations to travel on TGV Lyria trains up to 3 months before your travel date. To take advantage of the best fares, always try to buy your ticket as early as possible. And when buying your TGV Lyria tickets, check what exchange and refund conditions apply. Your fare type will be clearly stated on your ticket.
- A. Yes. If there is no match between your passport and the information written on your pass the pass can be taken and kept by the train manager.
- A. Dining cars are available on most long distance trains. Normally, you can just walk into most dining cars, sit down, and eat without a reservation, but you are welcome to make a reservation for a meal when mealtime is busy, or when the train attendant announces the opening of the dining car. If your train does not have a dining car, it is likely to offer passengers a buffet bar car. On local trains, there may be an attendant with a snack cart who travels from car to car, selling snacks and beverages. Train Dining cars are part of the train experience and is unrivaled by any other means of transportation. In some trains the quality of the food and the wine is up to the standard of a gourmet restaurant.
- A. Sorry, partially used passes are not refundable.
answered | Posted by Jill w. | Comments 2 | Created: 03/10/2016
answered | Posted by Milly T. | Comments 0 | Created: 19/08/2016
answered | Posted by AI Y. | Comments 0 | Created: 30/07/2016
answered | Posted by Jill Z. | Comments 0 | Created: 29/06/2016
When i purchase swiss pass for 3 day, can i use for travel from zurich to zermitt and st moritz to zurich at no extra cost? also, (...)When I purchase Swiss Pass for 3 day, can I use for travel from Zurich to Zermitt and St Moritz to Zurich at no extra cost? Also, (...)
answered | Posted by Mahendra M. | Comments 0 | Created: 02/06/2016