Swiss Half Fare CardSwiss Travel System
- Offers 50% discount to use trains, buses, boats and public transportations in 75 cities.
- Children under 16 travel for free.
travellers in 2015
years of rail travel experience
With an excellent rail network and public transportation, Switzerland is a country which is easy to visit. The Swiss Half Fare Card offers a 50% discount for one month of travel.
Things to know
Who can buy a rail pass?Any person living outside the participating countries can use the Swiss Half Fare Card. Please note that residents of Switzerland and Liechtenstein are not eligible.
A seat reservation is a guaranteed seat on board a train.
Seat reservations are compulsory for high speed, international and night trains. However, as you will be travelling with a rail pass, you will only have to pay for a small reservation fee, as opposed to the usual standard fare.
Seats are generally available for reservation up to 90 days prior to departure and are limited. Book early to secure your seat!
We are not currently offering online seat reservations for high speed, international and night trains covered by the BritRail passes.You can book your seat reservation directly from train stations once you are in the United Kingdom.
Most regional trains do not require a seat reservation. Just hop on board with a valid rail pass, find a seat and relax as the train takes you to one of the many destinations served.
How to use a rail pass?
Most trains in Switzerland do not require reservations. You can simply board with your rail pass and take any open seat.
Most rail passes include discounts and bonuses. Save money and make the most of your trip with your rail pass.
When available you will get hotel discounts, free entrance to museums, discounted boat trips and more.
- 50% discount when travelling on board trains, buses and boats.
- 50% discount when using urban public transport in 75 towns.
- Free travel for children under 16, accompanied by a parent, holder of a Swiss Family Card.
Interactive Rail Map
Use our interactive travel map to plan your trip and view the rail network of each country covered by your rail pass.
Use your Swiss Half Fare Card to have unlimited travel in Switzerland. Discover the various landscapes of the Swiss Alps, the green pastures and the beautiful lakes. Visit cities like Bern, Lausanne and Zurich.
- A. No, there are no student discounts. Discounts are offered to youth travelers instead. A youth traveler is any traveler who is 25 years of age or younger.
- A. The prices of accommodations on an overnight train are dependent on a few factors: 1. The expense of the ticket 2. The type of train you will be traveling on 3. The type of compartment you wish to sleep in Similar to Day trains there are different levels of overnight trains. Typically, during the day, high-speed premier trains are more expensive then local services that travel at a slower speed, and offer fewer services on-board. For night trains longer International journeys are more expensive as they tend to be nicer trains, offering the traveler more services.
- A. On-board Frecciarossa trains, the official luggage allowance is two large bags or suitcases and one piece of hand luggage. It’s enough to enjoy a very long trip and explore the richness of Italy.
- A. Many passes offer travel days that are flexible. The 4 days of travel allow the traveler to choose the days that they want to travel in a 2 month time period. Example: If a pass is valid from July 1 to August 31. The traveler can then select 4 dates to travel on the train from July 1 to August 31. The days can be consecutive or non consecutive.
- A. The Eurail Italy Pass is the best choice if you want to spend your time exploring Italy. Eurail Italy pass is valid for one month, and the number of travel days available varies from 3 to 10 days.
- A. Austria, Belgium, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Holland, Hungary, Italy, Luxembourg, Norway, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Romania, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland.
- A. There is no check in or customs procedures for Italo trains. However ticket control or ID checks can occur randomly on board. Make sure to have your travel documents with you at all times.
- A. A saver pass is a discount rate for a group of 2-5 passengers traveling together at all times. All names will be printed on a single pass, therefore passengers will not be able to travel independently.
Q. Can I borrow my travel partner’s rail pass if I prefer visiting Prague and that my partner wants to visit Hamburg?A. No, this is not possible as the extension must be accompanied by your nominative rail pass bearing your passport number, name and country of residence.
- A. You can use your Eurail Italy pass throughout the entire Italian railway network. Eurail Italy pass holders are also entitled to several discounts and benefits on ferry crossings and more. For 1st class pass holders, transfers between Roma Fiumicino Airport and Roma Termini train station on the Leonardo Express and between Pisa airport and Florence central station are free.
answered | Posted by Jill w. | Comments 2 | Created: 03/10/2016
answered | Posted by Milly T. | Comments 0 | Created: 19/08/2016
answered | Posted by AI Y. | Comments 0 | Created: 30/07/2016
answered | Posted by Jill Z. | Comments 0 | Created: 29/06/2016
When i purchase swiss pass for 3 day, can i use for travel from zurich to zermitt and st moritz to zurich at no extra cost? also, (...)When I purchase Swiss Pass for 3 day, can I use for travel from Zurich to Zermitt and St Moritz to Zurich at no extra cost? Also, (...)
answered | Posted by Mahendra M. | Comments 0 | Created: 02/06/2016