Swiss Half Fare CardSwiss Travel System
- Offers 50% discount to use trains, buses, boats and public transportations in 75 cities.
- Children under 16 travel for free.
With an excellent rail network and public transportation, Switzerland is a country which is easy to visit. The Swiss Half Fare Card offers a 50% discount for one month of travel.
Things to know
Who can buy a rail pass?Any person living outside the participating countries can use the Swiss Half Fare Card. Please note that residents of Switzerland and Liechtenstein are not eligible.
To travel on board high speed and night trains, you need to book a seat reservation.
Seat reservations are compulsory on most premium trains and are a guarantee to get a seat or a sleeping berth. As a pass holder, you will only be charged a fraction of the usual standard fare.
In most cases, you can reserve your seat up to 90 days in advance. Don’t wait too long to book your seat. They are limited!
Book a seat reservation with Rail Europe.
As an alternative to high speed and night trains, you can travel on board regional trains. Most don’t require a seat reservation when you have a rail pass so you won’t have to pay any extra charge. Just sit back and relax!
How to use a rail pass?
It is required that you start using your rail pass within 6 months of the date of purchase.
To use your rail pass for the first time, you have to go to any train station in Europe. A railway official will write down your passport number on the rail pass and stamp it. Don’t forget to write down the date of travel on your rail pass.
Please ensure that all the above information is reflected on your rail pass. An unstamped rail pass or incomplete travel information can lead to a fine and payment of a full fare ticket.
A travel day starts from midnight and ends at midnight the next day. It lasts 24 hours. During that period, you can take as many trains as you want.
You can get a free travel day with the 7 PM rule when the four conditions below are met:
- Your rail pass should be activated by a rail official.
- You must travel on board a night train which departs after 7 pm, and this trip should be the first one you are taking during that day.
- You must reach your destination no later than 4 am on the following day.
- The arrival date must be within the validity of your rail pass.
The validity is the number of travel days of a rail pass.
For a rail pass with a validity of 5 days within 1 month. If you activate your rail pass on the 1st of the month, you can travel on the 3rd, 4th, 7th, 12th and 30th of this month.
Rail pass benefits
Most rail passes include discounts and bonuses. Save money and make the most of your trip with your rail pass.
When available you will get hotel discounts, free entrance to museums, discounted boat trips and more.
- 50% discount when travelling on board trains, buses and boats.
- 50% discount when using urban public transport in 75 towns.
- Free travel for children under 16, accompanied by a parent, holder of a Swiss Family Card.
Interactive Rail Map
The Interactive Travel Map will allow you to plan your trip easily in Europe. Type-in your itinerary or choose it directly from the map. You can even provide your travel dates to view trains and fares related to your itinerary.
Use your Swiss Half Fare Card to have unlimited travel in Switzerland. Discover the various landscapes of the Swiss Alps, the green pastures and the beautiful lakes. Visit cities like Bern, Lausanne and Zurich.
- A. To find them you only need to fill in the booking form. This is located on the home page or in the Train Tickets section. Provide us with the cities you would like to travel between and your travel date. A selection of schedules will be displayed. Select later train to see more schedules.
- A. Most major train stations have lockers or luggage storage available at an additional cost. Make sure you have some change available if you are planning to use a locker. We have information about luggage storage on our train station information pages.
- A. You can make reservations to travel on TGV Lyria trains up to 3 months before your travel date. To take advantage of the best fares, always try to buy your ticket as early as possible. And when buying your TGV Lyria tickets, check what exchange and refund conditions apply. Your fare type will be clearly stated on your ticket.
- A. No. You have to buy your Eurail Select Pass before travelling to Europe. Eurail passes can be bought up to six months in advance of your travel date.
- A. TGV trains offer a buffet car where you can find a vast choice of hot and cold meals. Drinks and snacks are also available at vending machines on all TGV trains. You are also allowed to bring your own food and drink onto the train.
- A. Yes, you may need to make a reservation. All trains that travel internationally will require reservations. All night trains and high-speed trains will require reservations. Most trains in these countries will require reservations: France, Spain, and Italy.
- A. You will be offered the Print @ home ticket delivery to travel on board Italo trains in Italy. Receive your ticket reference in your inbox, print it and you are ready to travel. The Print @ home is more convenient and has no shipping fees.
- A. We recommend that you choose the Rail Protection Plan when travelling in Europe. It provides a compensation in the case of loss or theft when you are in Europe. Conditions apply. Visit our Contact us section to get more information about the Rail Protection Plan. Please note that the Rail Protection Plan is non-refundable and non-exchangeable.
Q. There is also a train connection from Munich to Prague, can I use these trains to travel to Prague with the coupon?A. No, the German Rail Pass Extension is only valid on the DB Expressbus between Munich/Nuremberg and Prague.
- A. Yes, we recomand that you would purchase tickets and make your seat reservations prior to your departure so you can avoid fully booked trains and disrupting your travel plans.
answered | Posted by Milly T. | Comments 0 | Created: 19/08/2016
answered | Posted by AI Y. | Comments 0 | Created: 30/07/2016
answered | Posted by Jill Z. | Comments 0 | Created: 29/06/2016
When i purchase swiss pass for 3 day, can i use for travel from zurich to zermitt and st moritz to zurich at no extra cost? also, (...)When I purchase Swiss Pass for 3 day, can I use for travel from Zurich to Zermitt and St Moritz to Zurich at no extra cost? Also, (...)
answered | Posted by Mahendra M. | Comments 0 | Created: 02/06/2016
answered | Posted by Latif K. | Comments 0 | Created: 23/05/2016