Swiss Half Fare CardSwiss Travel System
- Offers 50% discount to use trains, buses, boats and public transportations in 75 cities.
- Children under 16 travel for free.
With an excellent rail network and public transportation, Switzerland is a country which is easy to visit. The Swiss Half Fare Card offers a 50% discount for one month of travel.
Things to know
Who can buy a rail pass?Any person living outside the participating countries can use the Swiss Half Fare Card. Please note that residents of Switzerland and Liechtenstein are not eligible.
A seat reservation is a guaranteed seat on board a train.
Seat reservations are compulsory for high speed, international and night trains. However, as you will be travelling with a rail pass, you will only have to pay for a small reservation fee, as opposed to the usual standard fare.
Seats are generally available for reservation up to 90 days prior to departure and are limited. Book early to secure your seat!
We are not currently offering online seat reservations for high speed, international and night trains covered by the BritRail passes.You can book your seat reservation directly from train stations once you are in the United Kingdom.
Most regional trains do not require a seat reservation. Just hop on board with a valid rail pass, find a seat and relax as the train takes you to one of the many destinations served.
How to use a rail pass?
It is required that you start using your rail pass within 6 months of the date of purchase.
To use your rail pass for the first time, you have to go to any train station in Europe. A railway official will write down your passport number on the rail pass and stamp it. Don’t forget to write down the date of travel on your rail pass.
Please ensure that all the above information is reflected on your rail pass. An unstamped rail pass or incomplete travel information can lead to a fine and payment of a full fare ticket.
A travel day starts from midnight and ends at midnight the next day. It lasts 24 hours. During that period, you can take as many trains as you want.
You can get a free travel day with the 7 PM rule when the four conditions below are met:
- Your rail pass should be activated by a rail official.
- You must travel on board a night train which departs after 7 pm, and this trip should be the first one you are taking during that day.
- You must reach your destination no later than 4 am on the following day.
- The arrival date must be within the validity of your rail pass.
The validity is the number of travel days of a rail pass.
For a rail pass with a validity of 5 days within 1 month. If you activate your rail pass on the 1st of the month, you can travel on the 3rd, 4th, 7th, 12th and 30th of this month.
Rail pass benefits
Most rail passes include discounts and bonuses. Save money and make the most of your trip with your rail pass.
When available you will get hotel discounts, free entrance to museums, discounted boat trips and more.
- 50% discount when travelling on board trains, buses and boats.
- 50% discount when using urban public transport in 75 towns.
- Free travel for children under 16, accompanied by a parent, holder of a Swiss Family Card.
Interactive Rail Map
The Interactive Travel Map will allow you to plan your trip easily in Europe. Type-in your itinerary or choose it directly from the map. You can even provide your travel dates to view trains and fares related to your itinerary.
Use your Swiss Half Fare Card to have unlimited travel in Switzerland. Discover the various landscapes of the Swiss Alps, the green pastures and the beautiful lakes. Visit cities like Bern, Lausanne and Zurich.
- A. Yes, there is a catering service on board Italo trains. While there are 2 Area break with self-service vending machines, there are no bar/restaurant coaches. From the vending machines which are in coach 3 and 7, you can but hot and cold drinks as well as snacks. Passengers in Club and Prima class will be offered a catering service at an extra cost, which you must pay once on board. You can order the Italo breakfast, if you are travelling in the early morning between Milan and Rome.
- A. No, but we do offer discounted rate for many of our tickets and passes for Youth passengers. To qualify for a Youth Pass, you must be under age 26 on the first day of travel.
- A. Lyria trains offer two different classes of travel. In First class, a delicious cold at-seat meal is offered to you, no matter what time you travel. A large selection of Swiss, French, international magazines and newspapers are also available for your perusal. Onboard taxi booking service is also available from Monday to Friday. Comfortable seats will welcome you in Second class where you can also enjoy the convenience of a bar-buffet car.
Q. What are the differences between Full Fare, Leisure Fare, Youth Fare, Passholder Fare and Senior Fare on Eurostar?A. Full Fare is an unrestricted ticket. It is fully exchangeable and refundable even after the departure date. For exchanges and refunds, your local Raileurope office must receive the ticket no later than 60 days after the train's departure date. Click here to get the Contact Us adress. Value fare is non-exchangeable and non-refundable. Youth Fare (for travelers under 26 years of age) is exchangeable once in Europe before departure date. It is non-refundable. Passholder Fare (issued in conjunction with appropriate railpass) is exchangeable once in Europe. It is non-refundable. Senior Fare (for travelers 60 years of age and over) is exchangeable once in Europe. It is non-refundable.
- A. On all domestic routes in France and all international routes that depart from France. When traveling round trip on an international route you will need to print both tickets before you depart. For more detailed information on how to use a French self service kiosk review: How do I retrieve my e-tickets at French train stations?
- A. To find them you only need to fill in the booking form. This is located on the home page or in the Train Tickets section. Provide us with the cities you would like to travel between and your travel date. A selection of schedules will be displayed. Select later train to see more schedules.
- A. Your e-ticket is included in the email confirmation you receive from Rail Europe.
Q.Can I get off the train for a few hours and then get back on later that day if I'm holding a train ticket?A. A ticket that does not include a reservation for a specific train, does allow you to get on and off the train as much as you would like provided that your journey is completed within 2 months. Most tickets now include the reservations within the ticket, and do not permit the traveler to hop on or off the train If you are looking for more freedom to hop on and off the train, a railpass would be the best choice.
- A. You can print your Lyria ticket directly from your printer at home or, alternatively, you can retrieve it from the self-service machines available at the train stations in France only before boarding your Lyria train.
Q. Can I get a discount on train travel in Great Britain when I purchase a Eurail or Eurail Select Pass?A. No, but you are eligible for a passholder fare on Eurostar, which travels from Paris or Brussels to London. For travel in Great Britain we offer BritRail products to help you travel around the country.
answered | Posted by Jill w. | Comments 2 | Created: 03/10/2016
answered | Posted by Milly T. | Comments 0 | Created: 19/08/2016
answered | Posted by AI Y. | Comments 0 | Created: 30/07/2016
answered | Posted by Jill Z. | Comments 0 | Created: 29/06/2016
When i purchase swiss pass for 3 day, can i use for travel from zurich to zermitt and st moritz to zurich at no extra cost? also, (...)When I purchase Swiss Pass for 3 day, can I use for travel from Zurich to Zermitt and St Moritz to Zurich at no extra cost? Also, (...)
answered | Posted by Mahendra M. | Comments 0 | Created: 02/06/2016