City Night Line
- Munich - Amsterdam: 10:06
- Book up to 120 days in advance
- Night trains
- Secure cabins with cozy berths
- Save on accommodation
City Night Line
City Night Line. Travel between Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Poland, Austria and Czech Rep.
The City Night Line is an overnight service which links cities in Germany, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, Poland and the Czech Republic. Some of the trains on certain routes have double-deckers sleeping cars, built especially for CNL.
Popular journeys and travel durations
Popular destinations for the City Night Line include Berlin, Munich, Cologne, Prague, Warsaw, Zurich and Rome.
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- City Night Line tickets are open for booking 120 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Receive your ticket directly to your address. Just take them with you and you are ready to travel. Shipping fees apply.
Seat reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Experience the service
Before you board
For those travelling in groups, the City Night Line offers reduced-rate tickets for groups of six or more people. There is a women only compartment available and some cabins are accessible for wheelchair users. You can take your bike onboard on almost all lines.
OnboardThe City Night Line offers passengers four classes of service. There’s the Deluxe Sleeper car which has a private bathroom and toilet, comfortable beds and in-room breakfast. Sleeper cars offer the same comfort with a wash basin. Couchettes sleep four to five people and reclining seats offer plenty of leg room and a relaxing environment.
|First class||First class||Second class||Second class|
|Carrier’s designationName of class of service as you might see on your ticket. small>||Deluxe||Sleeper||Couchettes||Super reclining seats|
|Air conditioned carriages Makes it bliss when travelling during the summer period. small>|
|Comfortable seats Spacious seats with a headrest and generous legroom. small>|
|5-bed cabin The best way for a very comfortable ride in the company of friends or other fellow travellers. small>|
|Washbasin Practical to freshen up anytime during your trip. small>|
|Breakfast The most important meal of the day for a memorable experience. small>|
|Private bathroom Freshen up with a shower or use the WC for more convenience. small>|
Interactive Rail Map
- A. There is no Senior fare available for Italo trains. However children aged from 4 to 14 have a 25% discount on the full adult fare. As for children under 3 years old, they can travel for free if they do not require any seat.
- A. A Eurail Select Pass offers you unlimited travel on the national rail networks of any 3, 4 or 5 adjoining countries that are connected by train or ship. These countries are to be chosen from a list of 24 participating countries.
Q. What is Rail Europe's cancellation policy for passes, point-to-point tickets, overnight trains, and specialty trains?A. Tickets and passes are neither refundable nor replaceable if stolen or lost. Refunds, when applicable, are limited to totally unused, and un-validated passes, tickets and inclusive packages. A minimum 15% cancellation charge applies. Refund amount for tickets will vary depending on the type of fare purchased. Please check the details for more specific refund policies for each ticket. For passes and packages please look at the Terms and Conditions. Sleepers: if cancelled and space released with the station of departure at least 24 hours before train departs, are generally 85% refundable. If reservation is not cancelled, no refund will be granted. Once in Europe, most tickets must be stamped as NOT USED before the Train Departure Date (for reservations) or the 1st day of validity (for tickets and passes) to be entiteled for refund. If you have already purchased your pass or tickets, please review the terms and conditions that come with your documents for specific information about the cancellation policy for each pass or ticket. To receive your refund for pass, documents must be returned to the issuing office within 6 months of the date of issuance (or 1st year depending on the pass). To receive you refund on combined tickets and reservations, they must be returned to the issuing office within 60 days. Click here to get the adress in our Contact Us section.
- A. To find them you only need to fill in the booking form. This is located on the home page or in the Train Tickets section. Provide us with the cities you would like to travel between and your travel date. A selection of schedules will be displayed. Select later train to see more schedules.
- A. Gatwick Express arrives in London's Victoria Station.
- A. Yes, you’ll need to reserve your place on AVE trains like in most high speed trains in Europe.
- A. Most cites with airports are easily accessible by public transportation (Train, Bus, Subway or Taxi). The following airports listed have access to the downtown train stations: Amsterdam Schiphol, Athens, Barcelona, Berlin Schoenefeld, Birmingham, Brussels National, Cologne, Copenhagen, Dresden, Duesseldorf, Frankfurt, Geneva-Cointrin, Glasgow, Graz, Hannover, Krakow, Leipzig, London Gatwick, London Heathrow, London Stanstead, Madrid, Malaga, Manchester, Munich, Milan Malpensa, Newcastle, Nice, Nuremberg, Oslo, Palermo, Paris Charles de Gaulle, Pisa, Porto, Rome Fiumicino, Southampton, Stockholm, Stuttgart , Torino, Tronheim, Valencia, Vienna , and Zurich.
- A. Many people take advantage of additional time they have in a city, then they board their overnight train. You depart from one city and arrive in your destination the next morning, refreshed and ready to start your day. It also saves you money that you may have spent on a hotel.
Q. How do I file a request to receive reimbursement through the Rail Protection Plan if there has been loss or theft ?A. Pass/ticket holders must file a police report within twenty-four (24) hours of the incident. Pass/ticket holders may purchase a replacement rail pass or rail tickets in order to continue with his/her travel plans. Upon return to your country, pass/tickets holder must submit a request to Rail Europe within thirty (30) days including a police report, replacement passes or tickets purchased abroad, airline tickets to/from Europe. A brief explanation of the situation is also necessary to better evaluate the traveler request form.
- A. ICE trains offer two travel classes: Standard and First. On First Class, some coaches feature individual video screens. Electric sockets for laptops or DVD players can be found in most First class carriages. Quiet zones are also reserved for passengers who want to travel in peace.
answered | Posted by Jeff S. | Comments 0 | Created: 11/09/2016
answered | Posted by Chris B. | Comments 2 | Created: 03/07/2016
answered | Posted by malcolm g. | Comments 0 | Created: 10/04/2016
answered | Posted by toula c. | Comments 1 | Created: 28/01/2016
answered | Posted by Eric D. | Comments 2 | Created: 04/12/2015
Reviews & ratings City Night Line
Overall rating (124)
Overall appreciationExcellent 26% Very good 33% Average 20% Poor 10% Terrible 11%
- "BUDAPEST - ZAGREB" Susan b. 16/07/2016
The journey was event free Value for money Convenience
- "A very good sleep" Marion p. 13/06/2016
I slept very well on the night train and felt very safe. Value for money Convenience
- "Comfortable travel" Annalize t. 13/06/2016
We boarded the train at Budapest Keleti Station. Travelling First class is worth it as you get to use the lounge and free WIFI in comfort. The train is comfortable and not overcrowded either. I would recommend this any time. It is a pain that you have to validate your ticket in advance and that a seat can not be allocated when you purchase the ticket. Value for money Convenience
- "Paris Venice " Phillip p. 13/06/2016
Great trip. Smooth and on time travel. Value for money Convenience
- "LUGGUAGE WOES" Andrew m. 05/03/2016
!st class carriages have less lugguqage storage area's than 2nd. this was the only complaint we had. Service was puntual clean and pleasant to travel on. Value for money Convenience
- "Couple on Honeymoon" Dane g. 01/12/2015
Thankyou the trip was smooth and easy. Only feedback was on the board at Rome train station it said Austria rather than Munich which was confusing Value for money Convenience
- "overnight train" Emma Louise w. 20/09/2015
Very good service, maximised time in our trip been able to both travel and sleep. Gained more from our time on holiday. Value for money Convenience
- "Overnight sleeper, 1 st class." Christopher h. 26/11/2014
Overnight sleeper, 1 st class....(you have to be organised)..an enjoyable experience but could have been better if we had known more as lack of information at time of booking on Internet as...surprised at how snug the compartment was.. Once used to the lack of space it was ok . Surprised there was no buffet car to go to and have food and drink...compartment had own sink/ water/ folding table... Toilet and shower shared by all cabins in carriage... Value for money Convenience
- "Our First train in Europe" Krystal t. 30/10/2014
We got on this train straight from 30 hours worth of flying. A very comfortable and fast train. Value for money Convenience
- "Vienna/Zurich" Ngaire b. 21/10/2014
This was a very easy trip even if there were no porters to help two elderly ladies with their baggage. Value for money Convenience
- "Nearly didn’t make it" Terence t. 28/09/2014
Arrived very early at Rome terminal and watched the departures board for information. Our service did NOT get listed on the board and we only managed to catch our train with 4 minutes to spare because we went and asked a train guard where our train was. Turned out our service was attached to another but those in charge didn't see any reason to advise of that fact. Hey, Italy, what else would you expect. By the way, the information people at Rome were worse than useless too. Once on board the trip was cramped but ok. Service on board was good and we got into Munich on time. All in all it was an experience and we enjoyed it. Value for money Convenience
- "Easy no hassle bookings" John v. 10/08/2014
Booking online was easy and everything went well when I got there. Thanks for your help guys. Value for money Convenience
- "Smooth Trip" Emily-rose t. 26/07/2014
Easy and affordable. Value for money Convenience
- "Did the job" Jeffrey e. 23/07/2014
Did the job, comfort in sleeper was average, service very good. Nice views on morning part of trip to Praha. Value for money Convenience
- "Overnight train" Peter h. 04/07/2014
Good trip, well organised and on time Value for money Convenience