France-Spain high speed
Find a Train Ticket
- Barcelona - Montpellier: 02:55
- Book up to 120 days in advance
- High speed trains
Why choose us?
3 million travellers in 2013
N° 1 distributor of train tickets.
Helpful travel experts
Ask any question on our Travel Forum.
All of Europe, one place to buy your tickets!
Rail Europe Travel+
Free coupons, train travel guide and more.
Member of Trusted Commerce program.
France-Spain high speed
France-Spain high speed trains are ideal to visit main French and Spanish cities like Paris, Montpellier, Barcelona and Madrid.
In cooperation with the SNCF, the French national railway company, and RENFE, the Spanish national railway company, the France-Spain high speed trains link France and Spain. This international service is provided by high speed trains which are modern trains with a first class and second class service coupled with the presence of a multilingual staff on-board. Paris, the French capital and Madrid, the Spanish capital are both on the network. Moreover, many important French and Spanish cities are also connected: Montpellier, Toulouse, Marseille, Lyon, Barcelona or Figueres.
Popular journeys and travel durations
|Main routes||Travel time|
|Montpellier||Aix En Provence Tgv||01:16||AU$ 22|
|Nimes||Aix En Provence Tgv||00:48||AU$ 22|
|Perpignan||Aix En Provence Tgv||02:52||AU$ 60|
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- France-Spain high speed tickets are open for booking 120 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Receive your ticket directly to your address. Just take them with you and you are ready to travel. Shipping fees apply.
Print @ home
Print your ticket anywhere and anytime before your travel. Skip shipping fees.
Seat reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Experience the service
Before you board
In Paris, the France-Spain high speed trains depart from Paris Gare de Lyon, whereas in Barcelona, the trains depart from Barcelona Sants. Both stations have international signposts.There are VIP lounges in the railway station of Girona, Madrid and Barcelona, in Spain. First class ticket holders have access to the VIP lounges. Please note that ticket control will take place before boarding in Spain, and on-board from France. Make sure your train tickets are validated.
|First class||Second class|
|Reclining seats Cosy with more legroom, reclining seats are ideal to enjoy the trip. small>|
|Lounges at station in Spain Get the ultimate treat before any trip, or simply an ideal place to continue working. small>|
|Bar buffet car Access to the bar buffet car where snacks and beverages can be bought. small>|
|Comfortable seats Spacious seats with a headrest and generous legroom. small>|
|Power sockets Ideal to plug your laptop, phone or any electronic device from your seat. small>|
|Audio system* Listen to your favourite tune while enjoying the passing landscape. small>|
|Video screens* Ideal for entertainment, some coaches are equipped with screens. small>|
*only on the Lyon-Barcelona, Marseille-Barcelona-Madrid, and Toulouse-Barcelona routes.
Aside from major cities like Paris, Barcelona or Madrid, which can be visited with the France-Spain high speed trains, other regions are easily accessible. Indeed the train is ideal to discover the Alps, the Provence region and the Midi-Pyréenées.
The Provence region is accessible through the cities of Marseille, Avignon and Aix en Provence. Discover the gentle hills planted with vineyards and fields of lavender form the landscapes that captivated Cézanne, Van Gogh and Chagall. Provence is the ideal place to lose yourself among Roman remains and iconic cities such as Marseille.
The Costa Brava region is made up of over 200 km of coastline. Discover Figueras, birthplace of Salvador Dalí, the genius surrealist painter.
Interactive Rail Map
- A. Breakfast is served before 11:00 a.m.; lunch is served between 11:00 a.m. and 2:00pm A snack is served between 2:00pm and 5:00pm Dinner is served after 5:00pm.
- A. First class on the Italian day train offers large, comfortable reclining seats, and bar-buffet car offering a complete selection of food and beverages for purchase. (on major routes) Second class on the Italian day train offers generous legroom and bar-buffet car offering a complete selection of food and beverages for purchase. (on major routes)
- A. A travel day lasts 24 hours, in which you can take as many trains as you wish.
- A. It's easy! Use the self service kiosks at the rail station to retrieve your tickets in a few easy steps.
- A. Eurostar offers 3 classes of service: 2 for 1st class and 1 for 2nd class. Business Premier which offers priority express check-in at the terminals, a dedicated ticket desk for check in, access to the Eurostar Executive lounges, spacious reclining seats with generous legroom, wifi access at the terminals, a dedicated coach for business travelers, complimentary newspapers, 3-course meal with refreshments at your seat. Leisure Select offers spacious reclining seats with generous legroom, complimentary newspapers, and 3-course meal with refreshments at your seat. Standard class (2nd class) offers generous legroom and access to a bar-buffet car where a selection of food and beverages are available for purchase.
- A.No. A German Rail Pass Extension alone is not valid to travel on board trains. You have to use your extension as an add-on to your German Rail Pass.
- A. Rail passes for children are generally half the adult fare. Some passes do not offer a child pass. Child tickets are offered on most trains and vary by train type. They are generally about half of an adult ticket. The Swiss Pass allows children under 16 to travel free when they are traveling with a parent who is holding a Swiss Pass. On BritRail passes, children 5 through 15 are free with each paying adult.
- A. Lyria trains offer two different classes of travel. In First class, a delicious cold at-seat meal is offered to you, no matter what time you travel. A large selection of Swiss, French, international magazines and newspapers are also available for your perusal. Onboard taxi booking service is also available from Monday to Friday. Comfortable seats will welcome you in Second class where you can also enjoy the convenience of a bar-buffet car.
- A. First class on the Spanish day train offers large, comfortable reclining seats, friendly staff to serve you drinks and light snacks at your seat and major routes have audio and video programs at your seat. Second class on the Spanish day train offers generous legroom, bar-buffet car offering a complete selection of food and beverages for purchase and major routes have audio and video programs at your seat.
- A. The pass can be purchased up to 6 months before your first travel day. The pass must be validated within 6 months of the original date of issue.
answered | Posted by Brenda S. | Comments 0 | Created: 04/04/2015
answered | Posted by Ingrid K. | Comments 0 | Created: 15/03/2015
answered | Posted by Graham T. | Comments 0 | Created: 25/02/2015
answered | Posted by Deb M. | Comments 0 | Created: 20/01/2015
answered | Posted by Jaynee C. | Comments 0 | Created: 16/01/2015
Reviews & ratings
Overall appreciationExcellent % Very good % Average % Poor % Terrible %
"An excellent way to travel."Clare j.
Having never traveled to Europe, I found the ease of service and level of comfort impressive. As an English speaker, I was offered great courtesy as I tried to communicate in both Spain and France, by kind and professional staff. I would recommend your service to anyone. Value for money Convenience
"Barcelona to Narbonne"Graham h. 08/05/2015
Excellent on time service. Value for money Convenience
"A bit of a scramble."Michael j. 06/04/2015
Inside the Barcelona Sants station it was difficult to find out exactly where to go. Whilst this may have been due to the fact that it was a Friday afternoon perhaps a help desk might have been of more assistance. The information office simply pointed where we should go but then queues everywhere. It was a real scramble even though we had plenty of time. For retired people with suitcases and hand luggage it was not a very pleasant experience. The actual train journey was fine apart from the fact we had to haul our luggage onto the upper deck. Value for money Convenience
"Relaxing and convenient"Kim l. 27/03/2015
Our rail trip was easy to book from Australia and the whole experience was positive. I had travelled by rail in Europe before, but even if I hadn't, we had no trouble with the process - staff in Toulouse were very helpful. We travelled first class and would recommend if you want more space and have a lot of luggage. Value for money Convenience
"Nice trip"Matthew g. 16/03/2015
Beautiful scenery. Club car needs a bit of updating though. Value for money Convenience
"Simple and great train travel"John d. 01/02/2015
The journey from Barcelona Sants to Paris Gare Lyon was very easy. The ticketing was straightforward, getting to the station and on the train was simple, and the journey itself was comfortable and pleasant. It gave us a chance to see some countryside and rest as we travelled. Value for money Convenience
"Add ons"Usha m. 29/01/2015
On board wifi access availability would make it even better. Announcements in English for international travellers would be an added advantage. Value for money Convenience
"On Time"David s. 29/11/2014
Again the train service was very efficent and reliable. It certainly is a comfortable and pleasant way to travel. Value for money Convenience
"So easy"Valerie s. 12/11/2014
We booked online and everything worked perfectly. Such a comfortable, easy way to get from Avignon to Girona. Value for money Convenience
"Great service"William a. 06/11/2014
Considering the time taken to get to an airport, be there for gates earlier than is convenient to anyone and the hassle of checking in etc; the alternative of train travel was very appealing. It was a great way to see the French countryside at a cost that was comparable to air travel. The check in at Barcelona Sants was without hassle. We bought first class so the use of the lounge was a great benefit. If you are travelling with cases it's a pain getting them to the upstairs carraige however! Value for money Convenience
"TGV is much better than plane"Anthony r. 28/10/2014
Thoroughly enjoyed the experience of traveling by high speed train (TGV) from Paris to Barcelona. The train was clean, comfortable, very quiet, the large club seats are much more comfortable than poky airline seats Value for money Convenience
"More comfortable than flying"Anthony r. 28/10/2014
Thoroughly enjoyed the experience of traveling by high speed train (TGV) from Barcelona to Paris. The train was clean, comfortable, very quiet, the large club seats are much more comfortable than tiny airline seats Value for money Convenience
"Travel Comfortably"Marian w. 22/10/2014
It's easy. comfortable and gives you the opportunity of seeing some countryside that you wouldn't see from far up in a plane. Enjoyed it immensely. Value for money Convenience
"Amboise to Toulouse"Geraldine Anne p. 20/10/2014
Excellent, a wonderful way of seeing the countryside A big thank you a staff member at Austerlitz who helped us with our Toulouse to Barcelona ticketing when we couldn't find our booking reference Value for money Convenience
"Easy booking but train issues"Dean c. 18/10/2014
Really easy to book, reserved seats etc. But there were technical issues with the train in Spain, so we had to squeeze on to another train to make it. Value for money Convenience