France-Spain high speed
Europe Summer Sales: Great deals to tour Europe!
Save up to AU$ 90 on your booking and enjoy a wonderful summertime in Europe!
- Barcelona - Montpellier: 02:55
- Book up to 120 days in advance
- High speed trains
France-Spain high speed
France-Spain high speed trains are ideal to visit main French and Spanish cities like Paris, Montpellier, Barcelona and Madrid.
In cooperation with the SNCF, the French national railway company, and RENFE, the Spanish national railway company, the France-Spain high speed trains link France and Spain. This international service is provided by high speed trains which are modern trains with a first class and second class service coupled with the presence of a multilingual staff on-board. Paris, the French capital and Madrid, the Spanish capital are both on the network. Moreover, many important French and Spanish cities are also connected: Montpellier, Toulouse, Marseille, Lyon, Barcelona or Figueres.
Popular journeys and travel durations
|Main routes||Travel time|
|Montpellier||Aix En Provence Tgv||01:16||AU$ 24|
|Nimes||Aix En Provence Tgv||00:48||AU$ 24|
|Perpignan||Aix En Provence Tgv||02:52||AU$ 65|
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- France-Spain high speed tickets are open for booking 120 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Receive your ticket directly to your address. Just take them with you and you are ready to travel. Shipping fees apply.
Print @ home
Print your ticket anywhere and anytime before your travel. Skip shipping fees.
Seat reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Experience the service
Before you board
In Paris, the France-Spain high speed trains depart from Paris Gare de Lyon, whereas in Barcelona, the trains depart from Barcelona Sants. Both stations have international signposts.First class ticket holders have access to the VIP lounges, which can be found in all Spanish train stations, except for Figueres. Please note that ticket control will take place before boarding in Spain, and on-board from France. Make sure your train tickets are validated.
|First class||Second class|
|Reclining seats Cosy with more legroom, reclining seats are ideal to enjoy the trip. small>|
|Lounges at station in Spain Get the ultimate treat before any trip, or simply an ideal place to continue working. small>|
|Bar buffet car Access to the bar buffet car where snacks and beverages can be bought. small>|
|Comfortable seats Spacious seats with a headrest and generous legroom. small>|
|Power sockets Ideal to plug your laptop, phone or any electronic device from your seat. small>|
|Audio system* Listen to your favourite tune while enjoying the passing landscape. small>|
|Video screens* Ideal for entertainment, some coaches are equipped with screens. small>|
*only on the Lyon-Barcelona, Marseille-Barcelona-Madrid, and Toulouse-Barcelona routes.
Aside from major cities like Paris, Barcelona or Madrid, which can be visited with the France-Spain high speed trains, other regions are easily accessible. Indeed the train is ideal to discover the Alps, the Provence region and the Midi-Pyréenées.
The Provence region is accessible through the cities of Marseille, Avignon and Aix en Provence. Discover the gentle hills planted with vineyards and fields of lavender form the landscapes that captivated Cézanne, Van Gogh and Chagall. Provence is the ideal place to lose yourself among Roman remains and iconic cities such as Marseille.
The Costa Brava region is made up of over 200 km of coastline. Discover Figueras, birthplace of Salvador Dalí, the genius surrealist painter.
Destinations that can be reached with the France Spain High Speed include Paris, Barcelona, Lyon, Madrid, Toulouse, Marseille, Girona, Montpellier, Figueres, Carcassonne, Avignon, Perpignan, Narbonne, Valence, Nîmes, Béziers, Aix-en-Provence, Agde, Sète, Zaragoza and Tarragona.
Interactive Rail Map
- A. Special amenities for disabled travelers are offered on trains and at many train stations, and are clearly indicated with pictograms (for telephones, toilets, elevators, etc.). Special equipment is also available for use by handicapped passengers. This equipment must be reserved locally in advance. Be sure to specify if you need personal assistance (whether with a wheelchair, boarding, etc.).
- A. Eurostar services offer three classes of service: 2 for first class (Business Premier and Standard Premier) and one for second class (Standard). Among the facilities offered for Eurostar Business Premier passengers, you’ll find priority express check-in in 10 minutes at the terminals, a dedicated ticket desk for check-in, access to the Eurostar Executive lounges, spacious reclining seats with generous legroom, Wi-Fi access at the terminals, a dedicated coach for business travellers, complimentary newspapers, and also a 3 course meal served at seat. Eurostar Standard Premier passengers, whose check-in is 30 minutes before departure, will be offered spacious reclining seats with generous legroom, complimentary newspapers and a cold meal served at seat. In the convenience of a comfortable carriage, Standard passengers will also be enjoying themselves with a vast variety of dishes they will find at a bar buffet car.
- A. AVE trains can be booked up to 60 days in advance, giving you plenty of time to plan the trip of your life is sunny Spain.
- A. Frecciarossa trains offer two classes of travel: first class and second class. First Class ticket holders will receive a welcome drink, a snack and a daily Italian newspaper. Either travel class you may choose, you will be able to surf the Net on Frecciarossa trains using a USB key or any other portable device equipped with a Wi-Fi antenna.
- A. Train stations in Europe are very traveler friendly. Once arriving to the station there are large Departure and Arrival Boards located in the center of the most stations. Match the train number and departure time on your reservation / ticket to the train number listed on the departure board. Once you have found your train on the Departure Board, you will find a platform number where your train will be departing from. Upon arriving to your platform and you will notice that each car (also known as a coach) number on the train is clearly indicated on the side of each coach. Check your reservation / ticket for your car/coach number. You notice the class of service will also be listed in addition to the car/coach number on the side of the train. Once onboard the train, you will find that similar to an airplane each seat is clearly labeled with a number. Match the seat number on your reservation / ticket number to seat number in the train car / coach. Train stations in Europe have international pictograms that are easy to understand and are used in international airports. These pictograms will assist you once you arrive to the station. If you still have difficulty in finding your train, the stations staff can always help point you in the right direction.
Q. Do I need more than a German Rail Pass extension to travel to Prague and then to another city if I have a 4 day in a month German Rail Pass?A. No. Only one extension is need. You can travel wherever and as many times as you want during the 4 days within 1 month in relation with your rail pass.
- A. No. There are no youth discounts for the extension. You can however have a discount if you are under 26 when buying a German Rail Pass. That means you will travel in 2nd class.
- A. Frecciarossa trains offer a full sit-down restaurant service, with a regularly changing menu of traditional Italian dishes. The restaurant is very modern and elegant. Alternatively, Frecciarossa trains also feature a coffee bar service offering fresh sandwiches, snacks, desserts and hot and cold beverages.
Q. Should Eurostar, Thalys and other High Speed Train tickets be purchased prior to your departure date?A. Many trains such as the Eurostar offer discounted tickets for advance purchase. These fares have limited availability and sell out quickly. To receive the best price on the train you want to travel on you should purchase your tickets prior to your departure so you can avoid fully booked trains.
- A. Yes, you’ll need to reserve your place on AVE trains like in most high speed trains in Europe.
answered | Posted by Lilit T. | Comments 0 | Created: 28/10/2015
answered | Posted by Natalie H. | Comments 0 | Created: 27/10/2015
answered | Posted by Julia M. | Comments 0 | Created: 20/10/2015
answered | Posted by Alan F. | Comments 0 | Created: 16/10/2015
answered | Posted by gerardina l. | Comments 0 | Created: 07/10/2015
Reviews & ratings France-Spain high speed
Overall appreciationExcellent % Very good % Average % Poor % Terrible %
- "Barcelona_Paris" Terence b. 28/07/2016
An excellent trip. Value for money Convenience
- "Review" . 26/07/2016
Hi, loved the train journey. My only issue was ..I was confused at Marsielle train station as Montpellier was not written on the board....luckily a friend told me you go by the train number..not necessarily the destination..otherwise I would have been panicking. I would have appreciated the announcement in English, particularly for that stop as it was connecting to Barcelona. Otherwise good. I was also supposed there was no customs or passport stamping at Barcelona where I just walked out onto the street upon arrival. Regards DR
- "On time, comfortable" Geoffrey m. 26/07/2016
Pleasant trip Value for money Convenience
- "On time" Reinaldo j. 24/07/2016
Comfortable and on time at departure and arrival. Value for money Convenience
- "Valence to Barcelona" Simon e. 20/07/2016
Train was ontime and departed ontime. Travelled in First Class. Quiet trip. Lovely scenery. Train arrived in Barcelona slightly late (10mins). Station centrally located. I'd make this trip again. Value for money Convenience
- "behind the times" Peter b. 30/06/2016
Enjoyed the trip very much but you really need to provide wifi. Value for money Convenience
- "Great train ride" Raymond g. 30/06/2016
Very nice train ride Value for money Convenience
- "Train ride" Kim b. 29/06/2016
We had trouble finding which train and when asking staff they were incredibly rude. They even directed us to the wrong seats so we had to move when another passenger showed up. Also no help at all advising us where to stow our luggage Value for money Convenience
- "Madrid Atocha - Narbonne" Aster g. 26/06/2016
There was a problem with the train and we had to switch to another train before we reached Narbonne. This delayed our arrival in Narbonne and we missed the connecting train to Toulouse and the next train made us very late arriving in Toulouse. Also there are no lifts at the station and carrying heavy bags up and down stairs is very inconvenient for Seniors. We chose to wait on the platform for two hours as it was too painful to move our heavy bags up and down stairs. Value for money Convenience
- "Spain to provence" Kathryn h. 23/06/2016
This was a very convenient and cost effective way to go from Barcelona to Provence. Originally intended to go to Avignon, but as it required a chage of train we finished our journey and picked up our car at Nimes train station. In Bharcelona we stayed at Barcelo Sants hotel over the station so te whole trip was very easy. Value for money Convenience
- "Great adventure" Bruce w. 19/06/2016
On time, clean and friendly staff, can't ask for much more. Value for money Convenience
- "Dijon- Strasbourg" Janet f. 18/06/2016
A very scenic trip, fast and smooth and on time. Value for money Convenience
- "Cancelled train" Egon k. 16/06/2016
Our train was cancelled on short notice(Strike in France). Had to make alternate transport arrangements as we joined a river cruise in France. Taxi costs were very expensive. I am still trying to get a refund for the fare. Very disappointed. Value for money Convenience
- "very good" Gabriel l. 13/06/2016
the strike in france delayed our trip in one hours,but the service still very good Convenience
- "Train Trip " Monika g. 11/06/2016
Train trip from Barcelona to Paris was excellent. Value for money Convenience