France-Spain high speed
Our essential annual system update and maintenance has begun. During this time, our websites are currently unavailable for booking.
Your patience is appreciated as we complete this process.
We wish you a happy and prosperous 2017 – and hope it is filled with travel to exciting destinations!
We’ll see you soon,
The Rail Europe team
- Barcelona - Montpellier: 02:55
- Book up to 120 days in advance
- High Speed trains
travellers in 2015
years of rail travel experience
France-Spain high speed
France-Spain high speed trains are ideal to visit main French and Spanish cities like Paris, Montpellier, Barcelona and Madrid.
In cooperation with the SNCF, the French national railway company, and RENFE, the Spanish national railway company, the France-Spain high speed trains link France and Spain. This international service is provided by high speed trains which are modern trains with a first class and second class service coupled with the presence of a multilingual staff on-board. Paris, the French capital and Madrid, the Spanish capital are both on the network. Moreover, many important French and Spanish cities are also connected: Montpellier, Toulouse, Marseille, Lyon, Barcelona or Figueres.
Popular journeys and travel durations
|Main routes||Travel time|
|Montpellier||Aix En Provence Tgv||01:16||AU$ 23|
|Nimes||Aix En Provence Tgv||00:48||AU$ 23|
|Perpignan||Aix En Provence Tgv||02:52||AU$ 61|
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- France-Spain high speed tickets are open for booking 120 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Receive your ticket directly to your address. Just take them with you and you are ready to travel. Shipping fees apply.
Print @ home
Print your ticket anywhere and anytime before your travel. Skip shipping fees.
Seat reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Experience the service
In Paris, the France-Spain high speed trains depart from Paris Gare de Lyon, whereas in Barcelona, the trains depart from Barcelona Sants. Both stations have international signposts.First class ticket holders have access to the VIP lounges, which can be found in all Spanish train stations, except for Figueres. Please note that ticket control will take place before boarding in Spain, and on-board from France. Make sure your train tickets are validated.
|First class||Second class|
|Reclining seats Cosy with more legroom, reclining seats are ideal to enjoy the trip. small>|
|Lounges at station in Spain Get the ultimate treat before any trip, or simply an ideal place to continue working. small>|
|Bar buffet car Access to the bar buffet car where snacks and beverages can be bought. small>|
|Comfortable seats Spacious seats with a headrest and generous legroom. small>|
|Power sockets Ideal to plug your laptop, phone or any electronic device from your seat. small>|
|Audio system* Listen to your favourite tune while enjoying the passing landscape. small>|
|Video screens* Ideal for entertainment, some coaches are equipped with screens. small>|
*only on the Lyon-Barcelona, Marseille-Barcelona-Madrid, and Toulouse-Barcelona routes.
Aside from major cities like Paris, Barcelona or Madrid, which can be visited with the France-Spain high speed trains, other regions are easily accessible. Indeed the train is ideal to discover the Alps, the Provence region and the Midi-Pyréenées.
The Provence region is accessible through the cities of Marseille, Avignon and Aix en Provence. Discover the gentle hills planted with vineyards and fields of lavender form the landscapes that captivated Cézanne, Van Gogh and Chagall. Provence is the ideal place to lose yourself among Roman remains and iconic cities such as Marseille.
The Costa Brava region is made up of over 200 km of coastline. Discover Figueras, birthplace of Salvador Dalí, the genius surrealist painter.
Destinations that can be reached with the France Spain High Speed include Paris, Barcelona, Lyon, Madrid, Toulouse, Marseille, Girona, Montpellier, Figueres, Carcassonne, Avignon, Perpignan, Narbonne, Valence, Nîmes, Béziers, Aix-en-Provence, Agde, Sète, Zaragoza and Tarragona.
Interactive Rail Map
- A. 1st Class seats often recline, there are fewer seats per car, and there is more space for luggage. On some high-speed trains, the price of a 1st Class ticket includes a meal. 1st class is generally quieter with more business and adult passengers. 2nd Class accommodations are less expensive, but not as spacious, as there are more seats per car. For trips over 2 hours we recommend that you book 1st class.
- A. High speed AVE trains connect Madrid to cities including Barcelona and Seville, Malaga and Valencia. Travel time between Madrid and Barcelona is 2 hours and 30 minutes. You can also go to Seville from Madrid in 2 hours and 20 minutes. For longer journeys, Barcelona is 5 hours and 45 minutes from Malaga and 5 hours and 37 minutes from Seville.
- A. You can print your Lyria ticket directly from your printer at home or, alternatively, you can retrieve it from the self-service machines available at the train stations in France only before boarding your Lyria train.
- A. With a Eurail Italy pass, you can get free and discounted ferry crossings, as well as other great offers in museums and monuments. 1st class pass holders are entitled to free transfers between Roma Fiumicino Airport and Roma Termini train station on the Leonardo Express and also between Pisa airport and Florence central station.
- A. Discounted Senior rates for travelers 60 and older are available on the following passes: Balkan Flexipass-1st class BritRail Consecutive and Flexipass 1st class, BritRail England Consecutive and Flexipass 1st Class France Rail Pass, 1st Class Eurail Ireland Pass - 2nd Class Eurail Romania Pass - 1st class
- A. You will be able to book your TGV tickets 90 days in advance.
- A. Gatwick Express arrives in London's Victoria Station.
- A. Eurostar Direct Services can connect you directly from London to Paris, but also Brussels, Lille, Disneyland Paris and on a seasonal basis to Avignon in summer and to the French Alps during winter with a single weekly connection.
- A. The minimum check-in time for passengers with Business First tickets is 20 minutes. For passengers boarding ski trains, and passengers holding regular tickets, check-in time is 30 minutes.
- A. With Lyria, you’ll be allowed two bags or suitcases plus your hand luggage. Keep in mind that there is no charge for oversize luggage on Lyria trains.
Our 1st class eurail global pass no is 37130723. i am unable to book seats onlin - amsterdam-paris-santiago de (...)Our 1st class Eurail Global Pass No is 37130723. We wish to booking for Amsterdam-Paris-Santiago de Compostela-Lisbon-Madrid-Barcelona-
answered | Posted by Ramaswsamy N. | Comments 0 | Created: 29/08/2016
answered | Posted by Jane R. | Comments 0 | Created: 07/08/2016
answered | Posted by Lilit T. | Comments 0 | Created: 28/10/2015
answered | Posted by Natalie H. | Comments 0 | Created: 27/10/2015
answered | Posted by Julia M. | Comments 0 | Created: 20/10/2015
Reviews & ratings France-Spain high speed
Overall appreciationExcellent % Very good % Average % Poor % Terrible %
- "Train trip" Penelope j. 08/11/2016
Very pleasant experience Value for money Convenience
- "Madrid to Narbonne" Jane r. 03/11/2016
The Spanish train journey was excellent, the French train from Narbonne to Carcassonne was just a local service and not as modern. Value for money Convenience
- "Easy and comfortable " Deborah l. 02/11/2016
We caught the train from Perpignan to Barcelona in first class and were pleasantly surprised at the comfort and ease with which it happened. We had too much luggage but the train support staff were very helpful and it was not a problem at all. Thank you Value for money Convenience
- "Barcelona to Paris" Maureen n. 02/11/2016
Great trip, but I would have liked to be able to select seats on the upper level Convenience
- "Great ay to Go" . 01/11/2016
Having just completed our trip from Barcelona to Paris by Euro Rail, I can only speak highly on this experience: Comfort : I travelled 1st Class and rate it as a 5 star Comfort experience. Value for Money: Having purchased a Euro Rail pass It was a very good way to see Europe economical again 5 Stars Convenience: Euro Rail - On time, Every time and a time table to suit every need. Five Stars
- "All good" Patrick a. 28/10/2016
Comfortable, on-time, great way to see the countryside Value for money Convenience
- "Final leg of our holiday" Mathias t. 25/10/2016
The train was on time, clean and provided a very easy pleasant journey to our last holiday destination before returning home. Value for money Convenience
- "Paris to Barcelona" Fran m. 25/10/2016
After boarding one train and then being told to disembark and move to another train, our journey from Paris to Barcelona was a disaster. It was difficult to negotiate the stairs to the upper level of the train once - but twice was ridiculous. After a late departure from Paris, we were relieved to settle into the six-hour journey. At the first stop in Valence, new passengers joined the train. No tickets were checked. My partner's bag - above his head on the luggage rack - was stolen before the next stop in Nimes. When we realised the bag was gone - about 10 minutes from Nimes - no staff could be found until the train was almost in the station. The thief probably left the train here. Apparently this happens all the time - according to one staff member who spoke little English, the exact same thing had happened the day before - but there are no announcements to warn passengers. A ruined holiday. Passports, money, electronic equipment, etc. etc. all gone in the blink of an eye. The theft occurred within a five-minute time frame when I went to the bathroom. The bag was probably then removed from the seat behind my partner. Opportunistic? Extremely well-organised? Finally located the so-called 'train manager' prior to arrival in Barcelona. He had no English, but indicated that there was nothing that could be done. So, if travelling on SNCF trains, be warned! Do not use luggage racks for any bags - and do not expect assistance from any staff member, none of whom speak English. Value for money Convenience
- "France Spain high speed" Delys m. 21/10/2016
Rail is a great means of travel throughout Europe. The only down side is the small entry doors and steps as well as the configuration of some trains makes managing larger cases/luggage difficult. If travelling by rail it's best to travel light. Convenience
- "Barcelona to Toulouse" Roderick w. 16/10/2016
Train was on time but the first class ticket did not represent value. The seats in the carriage were not very comfortable and the luggage area was full yet the carriage was only half occupied. Still a very good service. Value for money Convenience
- "El Toro train." Richard k. 11/10/2016
This train ride was perfect. It was comfortable, quiet and efficient. It was our first time and this experience with this train will not be the last.It was a pleasure and certainly needs to be advertised to all people as a very good way of traveling. Value for money Convenience
- "1st Europe trip and tgv trip" Jason m. 05/10/2016
No complaints Value for money Convenience
- "A great way to travel" Michael n. 02/10/2016
The train trip was comfortable, relaxing and very good value. The train was clean and the staff friendly and efficient. We arrived at our destination in a calm state and we were able to walk to our hotel from the station. It was a far better option than flying. Value for money Convenience
- "boarding train" Christine Louise w. 02/10/2016
We loved the train ride to Paris, but were very disappointed in the time factor of boarding the train only 20mins prior to departure, was a terrible push and shove from people trying to get down the escalators to the station. No first class lounge as stated when I purchased the tickets, no one at the station knew about this. Otherwise an enjoyable trip Value for money Convenience
- "Efficient intercity travel" Dietrich f. 30/09/2016
The train trip itself was very enjoyable, convenient and comfortable. But two features marred the experience: boarding was very hectic because the platform for boarding the train was announced only briefly before the train's arrival leading to a hectic scramble to get onto the train. Secondly, once we had boarded we had to negotiate access to our allocated first class seats which had been taken by other travellers. Value for money Convenience