France-Spain high speed
Europe Summer Sales: Great deals to tour Europe!
Save up to AU$ 90 on your booking and enjoy a wonderful summertime in Europe!
- Barcelona - Montpellier: 02:55
- Book up to 120 days in advance
- High speed trains
France-Spain high speed
France-Spain high speed trains are ideal to visit main French and Spanish cities like Paris, Montpellier, Barcelona and Madrid.
In cooperation with the SNCF, the French national railway company, and RENFE, the Spanish national railway company, the France-Spain high speed trains link France and Spain. This international service is provided by high speed trains which are modern trains with a first class and second class service coupled with the presence of a multilingual staff on-board. Paris, the French capital and Madrid, the Spanish capital are both on the network. Moreover, many important French and Spanish cities are also connected: Montpellier, Toulouse, Marseille, Lyon, Barcelona or Figueres.
Popular journeys and travel durations
|Main routes||Travel time|
|Montpellier||Aix En Provence Tgv||01:16||AU$ 24|
|Nimes||Aix En Provence Tgv||00:48||AU$ 24|
|Perpignan||Aix En Provence Tgv||02:52||AU$ 65|
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- France-Spain high speed tickets are open for booking 120 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Receive your ticket directly to your address. Just take them with you and you are ready to travel. Shipping fees apply.
Print @ home
Print your ticket anywhere and anytime before your travel. Skip shipping fees.
Seat reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Experience the service
Before you board
In Paris, the France-Spain high speed trains depart from Paris Gare de Lyon, whereas in Barcelona, the trains depart from Barcelona Sants. Both stations have international signposts.First class ticket holders have access to the VIP lounges, which can be found in all Spanish train stations, except for Figueres. Please note that ticket control will take place before boarding in Spain, and on-board from France. Make sure your train tickets are validated.
|First class||Second class|
|Reclining seats Cosy with more legroom, reclining seats are ideal to enjoy the trip. small>|
|Lounges at station in Spain Get the ultimate treat before any trip, or simply an ideal place to continue working. small>|
|Bar buffet car Access to the bar buffet car where snacks and beverages can be bought. small>|
|Comfortable seats Spacious seats with a headrest and generous legroom. small>|
|Power sockets Ideal to plug your laptop, phone or any electronic device from your seat. small>|
|Audio system* Listen to your favourite tune while enjoying the passing landscape. small>|
|Video screens* Ideal for entertainment, some coaches are equipped with screens. small>|
*only on the Lyon-Barcelona, Marseille-Barcelona-Madrid, and Toulouse-Barcelona routes.
Aside from major cities like Paris, Barcelona or Madrid, which can be visited with the France-Spain high speed trains, other regions are easily accessible. Indeed the train is ideal to discover the Alps, the Provence region and the Midi-Pyréenées.
The Provence region is accessible through the cities of Marseille, Avignon and Aix en Provence. Discover the gentle hills planted with vineyards and fields of lavender form the landscapes that captivated Cézanne, Van Gogh and Chagall. Provence is the ideal place to lose yourself among Roman remains and iconic cities such as Marseille.
The Costa Brava region is made up of over 200 km of coastline. Discover Figueras, birthplace of Salvador Dalí, the genius surrealist painter.
Destinations that can be reached with the France Spain High Speed include Paris, Barcelona, Lyon, Madrid, Toulouse, Marseille, Girona, Montpellier, Figueres, Carcassonne, Avignon, Perpignan, Narbonne, Valence, Nîmes, Béziers, Aix-en-Provence, Agde, Sète, Zaragoza and Tarragona.
Interactive Rail Map
- A. You can use your Eurail Select pass on the national rail networks of the adjoining countries chosen when buying your Eurail Pass. Here is the list of the countries participating to the program: Austria, Benelux, Bulgaria, Croatia-Slovenia, Czech Republic Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Montenegro-Serbia, Norway, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Romania, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland.
- A. If you are having trouble determining what is the best pass for you, click on the blue square button " Search passes ". You'll be helped, on line, to select the best pass for your trip.
- A. Lyria trains offer two different classes of travel. In First class, a delicious cold at-seat meal is offered to you, no matter what time you travel. A large selection of Swiss, French, international magazines and newspapers are also available for your perusal. Onboard taxi booking service is also available from Monday to Friday. Comfortable seats will welcome you in Second class where you can also enjoy the convenience of a bar-buffet car.
- A. Sleeping accommodations vary according to the train and route. The most common compartments are Singles, Doubles and Couchettes. Some offer T3, T4, and Deluxe sleepers.
- A. You will be offered the Print @ home ticket delivery to travel on board Italo trains in Italy. Receive your ticket reference in your inbox, print it and you are ready to travel. The Print @ home is more convenient and has no shipping fees.
- A. A travel day lasts 24 hours, in which you can take as many trains or public transport services as you wish.
Q. Under train tickets and schedules, does the fare represent a per person rate or total for everyone?A. Our "Train Tickets and Schedules" section calculates the total cost of your outbound journey first, and it includes the cost for the number of people that you specify. Once you choose an outbound journey, the costs of the return journey appear.
- A. You can book early a ticket for Italo up to 70 days in advance. The earlier you book, the more likely you will get the lowest price. Italo tickets are can be book up to 3 days before your travel date.
- A. There are no check-in or customs procedures before boarding TGV trains. However, you must be onboard at the latest 2 minutes prior to the departure time, beyond which access to the train cannot be guaranteed. Ticket control and passport checks will occur on board the train.
- A. In some cases. Normally, your bicycle must be boxed and placed in a separate car, or it might have to be transported on a separate train. Extra charges may apply, and you must arrange bike transport locally. Bikes are allowed as checked luggage on the EC, IC, ICE, and TGV trains. The bike must be wrapped, with the wheels and pedals detached, and the handlebars parallel to the frame.
answered | Posted by Lilit T. | Comments 0 | Created: 28/10/2015
answered | Posted by Natalie H. | Comments 0 | Created: 27/10/2015
answered | Posted by Julia M. | Comments 0 | Created: 20/10/2015
answered | Posted by Alan F. | Comments 0 | Created: 16/10/2015
answered | Posted by gerardina l. | Comments 0 | Created: 07/10/2015
Reviews & ratings France-Spain high speed
Overall appreciationExcellent % Very good % Average % Poor % Terrible %
- "Spain to provence" Kathryn h. 23/06/2016
This was a very convenient and cost effective way to go from Barcelona to Provence. Originally intended to go to Avignon, but as it required a chage of train we finished our journey and picked up our car at Nimes train station. In Bharcelona we stayed at Barcelo Sants hotel over the station so te whole trip was very easy. Value for money Convenience
- "Great adventure" Bruce w. 19/06/2016
On time, clean and friendly staff, can't ask for much more. Value for money Convenience
- "Dijon- Strasbourg" Janet f. 18/06/2016
A very scenic trip, fast and smooth and on time. Value for money Convenience
- "Cancelled train" Egon k. 16/06/2016
Our train was cancelled on short notice(Strike in France). Had to make alternate transport arrangements as we joined a river cruise in France. Taxi costs were very expensive. I am still trying to get a refund for the fare. Very disappointed. Value for money Convenience
- "very good" Gabriel l. 13/06/2016
the strike in france delayed our trip in one hours,but the service still very good Convenience
- "Train Trip " Monika g. 11/06/2016
Train trip from Barcelona to Paris was excellent. Value for money Convenience
- "NOT HAPPY" Stuart m. 05/06/2016
Our train was cancelled at short notice. Staff at Perpignan were rude and unhelpful and did not appear to know what was going on . Eventually we were told by SNCF rep that we would have to get on next TGV train which was direct to Paris Value for money Convenience
- "Ease of boarding" Julie l. 05/06/2016
We were international travellers and so had 2large suitcases plus 2 small cases. We feel that the attendants that were on the platform could have been a little more helpful other than just directing us to our carriage but also explaining where luggage should be stored thus avoiding us us storing our large bags in the area on lower level before realising our seats were located up stairs which meant eemhadnto retrieve them from the downstairs storage to the upstairs With so many people trying to board and store their luggage it caused a big problem both for us and other passengers. There is minimum space available anyway w we also found it a problem when we got to the upper level and the train had already left the station.we feel that a little more,advice and direction from the people's tanning on the platform would have prevented these problems for several passengers travelling for the first time on themfirstmtimemon thismtrain. Once theseproblems were,sorted however we had a pleasant journey Value for money Convenience
- "Madrid-Montpellier Fast Train" . 03/06/2016
The train trip from Madrid to Montpellier was the best way to travel most directly from these destinations, and better than the air travel (less direct) alternatives. Very positive experience; train was on time and kept to schedule. Seats were reasonably comfortable and there was access to power for the laptop. The Spanish segment was very good, with voice announcements made in Spanish, English and French. When we hit France, however, the voice announcements were restricted to French, which was not particularly helpful for Spanish or English travellers. Insufficient space for large bags.
- "Paris to Barcelona" . 01/06/2016
This journey was SO easy. Train left and arrived on time. Continually updated re stops. Seating comfortable. Would certainly travel by train again.
- "Super" Julie l. 28/05/2016
Was extremely comfortable and easy ride. No hiccups and no delays. Really an easy way to travel. Value for money Convenience
- "excellent and comfortable " . 23/05/2016
Our trip from the Montipellier station to Barcelona operated efficiently with comfortable seating in first class. Staff were friendly and professional ..luggage storage was great ..assistance by staff at both stations was superb.. Highly recommended
- "Smooth trip to Barcelona" Margaret Jeannette p. 22/05/2016
Train on time - for once - previous two trips on TGV 30-40 mins late. Rush for trains after wait for platform to be listed meant luggage racks fill up early. If seated upstairs need to drag bags up stairs, which can be an issue for some. French TGV, as a security measure, now insist on luggage being labelled with name and address. Journey was comfortable, though long. A lot more so than Australian intercity trains. Value for money Convenience
- "Great Train , Great Scenery" Peter g. 21/05/2016
Excellent journey with a comfortable seat Value for money Convenience
- "A relaxing trip" Jack e. 17/05/2016
Initially disappointed at having to lug large suitcases up to our seating area, however seating arrangement and comfort was excellent. The ride was excellent, thus ensuring a comfortable and relaxing 3 hour trip Value for money Convenience