France-Spain high speed
Great deals to tour Europe!
Get up to AU$ 90 off your booking and enjoy summer in Europe!
Discover iconic cities such as Paris, London and Rome.
Find a Train Ticket
- Barcelona - Montpellier: 02:55
- Book up to 120 days in advance
- High speed trains
Why choose us?
3 million travellers in 2013
N° 1 distributor of train tickets.
Helpful travel experts
Ask any question on our Travel Forum.
All of Europe, one place to buy your tickets!
Rail Europe Travel+
Free coupons, train travel guide and more.
Member of Trusted Commerce program.
France-Spain high speed
France-Spain high speed trains are ideal to visit main French and Spanish cities like Paris, Montpellier, Barcelona and Madrid.
In cooperation with the SNCF, the French national railway company, and RENFE, the Spanish national railway company, the France-Spain high speed trains link France and Spain. This international service is provided by high speed trains which are modern trains with a first class and second class service coupled with the presence of a multilingual staff on-board. Paris, the French capital and Madrid, the Spanish capital are both on the network. Moreover, many important French and Spanish cities are also connected: Montpellier, Toulouse, Marseille, Lyon, Barcelona or Figueres.
Popular journeys and travel durations
|Main routes||Travel time|
|Montpellier||Aix En Provence Tgv||01:16||AU$ 23|
|Nimes||Aix En Provence Tgv||00:48||AU$ 23|
|Perpignan||Aix En Provence Tgv||02:52||AU$ 62|
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- France-Spain high speed tickets are open for booking 120 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Receive your ticket directly to your address. Just take them with you and you are ready to travel. Shipping fees apply.
Print @ home
Print your ticket anywhere and anytime before your travel. Skip shipping fees.
Seat reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Experience the service
Before you board
In Paris, the France-Spain high speed trains depart from Paris Gare de Lyon, whereas in Barcelona, the trains depart from Barcelona Sants. Both stations have international signposts.There are VIP lounges in the railway station of Girona, Madrid and Barcelona, in Spain. First class ticket holders have access to the VIP lounges. Please note that ticket control will take place before boarding in Spain, and on-board from France. Make sure your train tickets are validated.
|First class||Second class|
|Reclining seats Cosy with more legroom, reclining seats are ideal to enjoy the trip. small>|
|Lounges at station in Spain Get the ultimate treat before any trip, or simply an ideal place to continue working. small>|
|Bar buffet car Access to the bar buffet car where snacks and beverages can be bought. small>|
|Comfortable seats Spacious seats with a headrest and generous legroom. small>|
|Power sockets Ideal to plug your laptop, phone or any electronic device from your seat. small>|
|Audio system* Listen to your favourite tune while enjoying the passing landscape. small>|
|Video screens* Ideal for entertainment, some coaches are equipped with screens. small>|
*only on the Lyon-Barcelona, Marseille-Barcelona-Madrid, and Toulouse-Barcelona routes.
Aside from major cities like Paris, Barcelona or Madrid, which can be visited with the France-Spain high speed trains, other regions are easily accessible. Indeed the train is ideal to discover the Alps, the Provence region and the Midi-Pyréenées.
The Provence region is accessible through the cities of Marseille, Avignon and Aix en Provence. Discover the gentle hills planted with vineyards and fields of lavender form the landscapes that captivated Cézanne, Van Gogh and Chagall. Provence is the ideal place to lose yourself among Roman remains and iconic cities such as Marseille.
The Costa Brava region is made up of over 200 km of coastline. Discover Figueras, birthplace of Salvador Dalí, the genius surrealist painter.
Interactive Rail Map
- A. Bookings for a Frecciarossa trains can be made up to 4 months before you depart.
- A. Train stations in Europe are very traveler friendly. Once arriving to the station there are large Departure and Arrival Boards located in the center of the most stations. Match the train number and departure time on your reservation / ticket to the train number listed on the departure board. Once you have found your train on the Departure Board, you will find a platform number where your train will be departing from. Upon arriving to your platform and you will notice that each car (also known as a coach) number on the train is clearly indicated on the side of each coach. Check your reservation / ticket for your car/coach number. You notice the class of service will also be listed in addition to the car/coach number on the side of the train. Once onboard the train, you will find that similar to an airplane each seat is clearly labeled with a number. Match the seat number on your reservation / ticket number to seat number in the train car / coach. Train stations in Europe have international pictograms that are easy to understand and are used in international airports. These pictograms will assist you once you arrive to the station. If you still have difficulty in finding your train, the stations staff can always help point you in the right direction.
- A. A youth pass is valid for any traveler who is 25 years of age and younger.
- A. There are no check-in before boarding a Thalys train and ticket control and passport checks will occur onboard the train. Also worth remembering that children less than 12 years old travelling alone are not accepted on board Thalys trains.
- A. The AVE offers 2 first class options they are called Club class and Preferente class. Club class on the AVE offers access to the AVE lounges at the rail stations, large comfortable reclining seats, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat, and friendly staff serves you drinks and light snacks at your seat. This class of service offers tables for each seat. Preferente class on the AVE offers access to the AVE lounges at the rail stations, large comfortable reclining seats, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat, and friendly staff serves you drinks and light snacks at your seat. Tourist class (2nd Class) on the AVE offers generous legroom, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat and a bar-buffet car offering a selection of food and beverages for purchase.
- A. Most major train stations have lockers or luggage storage available at an additional cost. Make sure you have some change available if you are planning to use a locker.
- A. AVE services offer two different classes of travel: in first class, depending on the train, you will be able to choose between First Class Club and Preferente where you can enjoy a meal served at seat, an access to VIP lounges in the main Spanish railways stations, daily press and free parking (24 hours if you have a single ticket, 48 hours for a return). Turista class, as known as 2nd class, includes a family area, children’s board games, wheelchair facilities as well as audio/video devices.
- A. ICE trains offer two travel classes: Standard and First. On First Class, some coaches feature individual video screens. Electric sockets for laptops or DVD players can be found in most First class carriages. Quiet zones are also reserved for passengers who want to travel in peace.
- A. With a Eurail Italy pass, you can get free and discounted ferry crossings, as well as other great offers in museums and monuments. 1st class pass holders are entitled to free transfers between Roma Fiumicino Airport and Roma Termini train station on the Leonardo Express and also between Pisa airport and Florence central station.
- A. With a Eurail Italy pass, you can travel on all trains from Trenitalia, the Italian railway company. Just bear in mind that reservation is compulsory on-board Frecciarossa, Frecciabianca, Frecciargento, and Eurostar trains. Overnight trains also require reservation of the sleeping compartments.
answered | Posted by Francesca A. | Comments 2 | Created: 31/05/2015
answered | Posted by Brenda S. | Comments 0 | Created: 04/04/2015
answered | Posted by Ingrid K. | Comments 0 | Created: 15/03/2015
answered | Posted by Graham T. | Comments 0 | Created: 25/02/2015
answered | Posted by Deb M. | Comments 0 | Created: 20/01/2015
Reviews & ratings
Overall appreciationExcellent % Very good % Average % Poor % Terrible %
"Great train trip"Stephen s.
Using printouts of E tickets was a first for me, but there were no problems, the rail staff at Barcelona Sants station were extremely helpful. We were in the first class section, upstairs. The seating was comfortable and once again the on board staff were friendly and helpful. The train was very smooth, the only problem was waiting for oncoming trains on the single track sections which resulted in the train being 35 minutes late. A really enjoyable train journey, I would recommend. Value for money Convenience
"Barcelona to Paris"Colin l. 16/06/2015
Our trip was very comfortable and the time passed quickly. The carriages were very clean and well appointed; even the windows were clean! I was disappointed that the Pyrenees were such a non-event!! The dining car needs to be bigger with respect to the serving area. Value for money Convenience
"Train comfort"Gordon p. 12/06/2015
Seats were comfortable and the service was as good as could be expected.it was a pleasant journey. Value for money Convenience
"To TGV or not TGV?"Kristin w. 12/06/2015
We had a very comfortable trip from Barcelona to France recently. It was great to have the fours seats together, facing each other for our group. The train was clean, on-time and very comfortable. The only downside was the lack of luggage space for large bags. This required a lot of manual handling by our group as many people disregarded the fact that others needed to store luggage too. More space definitely needs to be allocated. Staff were very helpful and it was great to hear the announcements in multiple languages. I would travel this way again rather than the plane :) Value for money Convenience
"An excellent way to travel."Clare j. 25/05/2015
Having never traveled to Europe, I found the ease of service and level of comfort impressive. As an English speaker, I was offered great courtesy as I tried to communicate in both Spain and France, by kind and professional staff. I would recommend your service to anyone. Value for money Convenience
"Barcelona to Narbonne"Graham h. 08/05/2015
Excellent on time service. Value for money Convenience
"Arrived relaxed and refreshed"Graham h. 24/04/2015
Loved the journey, nice seats, with an accessible buffet car. although, we were travelling first class and I expected a meal to be included in the fare. Got very excited when the train went over the 300km/hr mark!
"A bit of a scramble."Michael j. 06/04/2015
Inside the Barcelona Sants station it was difficult to find out exactly where to go. Whilst this may have been due to the fact that it was a Friday afternoon perhaps a help desk might have been of more assistance. The information office simply pointed where we should go but then queues everywhere. It was a real scramble even though we had plenty of time. For retired people with suitcases and hand luggage it was not a very pleasant experience. The actual train journey was fine apart from the fact we had to haul our luggage onto the upper deck. Value for money Convenience
"Relaxing and convenient"Kim l. 27/03/2015
Our rail trip was easy to book from Australia and the whole experience was positive. I had travelled by rail in Europe before, but even if I hadn't, we had no trouble with the process - staff in Toulouse were very helpful. We travelled first class and would recommend if you want more space and have a lot of luggage. Value for money Convenience
"Nice trip"Matthew g. 16/03/2015
Beautiful scenery. Club car needs a bit of updating though. Value for money Convenience
"Simple and great train travel"John d. 01/02/2015
The journey from Barcelona Sants to Paris Gare Lyon was very easy. The ticketing was straightforward, getting to the station and on the train was simple, and the journey itself was comfortable and pleasant. It gave us a chance to see some countryside and rest as we travelled. Value for money Convenience
"Add ons"Usha m. 29/01/2015
On board wifi access availability would make it even better. Announcements in English for international travellers would be an added advantage. Value for money Convenience
"On Time"David s. 29/11/2014
Again the train service was very efficent and reliable. It certainly is a comfortable and pleasant way to travel. Value for money Convenience
"So easy"Valerie s. 12/11/2014
We booked online and everything worked perfectly. Such a comfortable, easy way to get from Avignon to Girona. Value for money Convenience
"Great service"William a. 06/11/2014
Considering the time taken to get to an airport, be there for gates earlier than is convenient to anyone and the hassle of checking in etc; the alternative of train travel was very appealing. It was a great way to see the French countryside at a cost that was comparable to air travel. The check in at Barcelona Sants was without hassle. We bought first class so the use of the lounge was a great benefit. If you are travelling with cases it's a pain getting them to the upstairs carraige however! Value for money Convenience