France-Spain high speed
Find a Train Ticket
- Barcelona - Montpellier: 02:55
- Book up to 120 days in advance
- High speed trains
Why choose us?
3 million travellers in 2014
N° 1 distributor of train tickets.
Helpful travel experts
Ask any question on our Travel Forum.
All of Europe, one place to buy your tickets!
Rail Europe Travel+
Free coupons, train travel guide and more.
Member of Trusted Commerce program.
France-Spain high speed
France-Spain high speed trains are ideal to visit main French and Spanish cities like Paris, Montpellier, Barcelona and Madrid.
In cooperation with the SNCF, the French national railway company, and RENFE, the Spanish national railway company, the France-Spain high speed trains link France and Spain. This international service is provided by high speed trains which are modern trains with a first class and second class service coupled with the presence of a multilingual staff on-board. Paris, the French capital and Madrid, the Spanish capital are both on the network. Moreover, many important French and Spanish cities are also connected: Montpellier, Toulouse, Marseille, Lyon, Barcelona or Figueres.
Popular journeys and travel durations
|Main routes||Travel time|
|Montpellier||Aix En Provence Tgv||01:16||AU$ 26|
|Nimes||Aix En Provence Tgv||00:48||AU$ 26|
|Aix En Provence Tgv||Perpignan||02:39||AU$ 68|
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- France-Spain high speed tickets are open for booking 120 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Receive your ticket directly to your address. Just take them with you and you are ready to travel. Shipping fees apply.
Print @ home
Print your ticket anywhere and anytime before your travel. Skip shipping fees.
Seat reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Experience the service
Before you board
In Paris, the France-Spain high speed trains depart from Paris Gare de Lyon, whereas in Barcelona, the trains depart from Barcelona Sants. Both stations have international signposts.There are VIP lounges in the railway station of Girona, Madrid and Barcelona, in Spain. First class ticket holders have access to the VIP lounges. Please note that ticket control will take place before boarding in Spain, and on-board from France. Make sure your train tickets are validated.
|First class||Second class|
|Reclining seats Cosy with more legroom, reclining seats are ideal to enjoy the trip. small>|
|Lounges at station in Spain Get the ultimate treat before any trip, or simply an ideal place to continue working. small>|
|Bar buffet car Access to the bar buffet car where snacks and beverages can be bought. small>|
|Comfortable seats Spacious seats with a headrest and generous legroom. small>|
|Power sockets Ideal to plug your laptop, phone or any electronic device from your seat. small>|
|Audio system* Listen to your favourite tune while enjoying the passing landscape. small>|
|Video screens* Ideal for entertainment, some coaches are equipped with screens. small>|
*only on the Lyon-Barcelona, Marseille-Barcelona-Madrid, and Toulouse-Barcelona routes.
Aside from major cities like Paris, Barcelona or Madrid, which can be visited with the France-Spain high speed trains, other regions are easily accessible. Indeed the train is ideal to discover the Alps, the Provence region and the Midi-Pyréenées.
The Provence region is accessible through the cities of Marseille, Avignon and Aix en Provence. Discover the gentle hills planted with vineyards and fields of lavender form the landscapes that captivated Cézanne, Van Gogh and Chagall. Provence is the ideal place to lose yourself among Roman remains and iconic cities such as Marseille.
The Costa Brava region is made up of over 200 km of coastline. Discover Figueras, birthplace of Salvador Dalí, the genius surrealist painter.
Interactive Rail Map
- A. Most major train stations have lockers or luggage storage available at an additional cost. Make sure you have some change available if you are planning to use a locker.
- A. Eurostar is a reservation-only service and bookings can be taken up to 6 months in advance. Also bear in mind that Eurostar is not included in the Eurail pass or France Rail Pass program but you can still get a discount on Eurostar when buying a pass.
- A. No. You need to buy your Eurail Italy pass before travelling to Europe. Just remember that Eurail passes, including Eurail Italy pass, can be bought up to six months in advance of your travel date.
- A. There are no check-in or customs procedures before boarding ICE trains. Just be aware that for international destinations, ticket control and passport checks will occur on boarding the train. And if you are a pass holder, just remember that you have to validate your pass prior to boarding the ICE trains.
- A. Italo trains offer high speed train services connecting the major cities of Italy such as Milano, Bologna, Firenze, Roma, Napoli, Salerno, Venezia, Torino and Padova. There are several daily connections between the main cities which are served by Italo. There are several daily connections between Milan and Roma and the number of connections will increase in the following years.
- A. No, but we do offer discounted rate for many of our tickets and passes for Youth passengers. To qualify for a Youth Pass, you must be under age 26 on the first day of travel.
- A. Yes, there is a catering service on board Italo trains. While there are 2 Area break with self-service vending machines, there are no bar/restaurant coaches. From the vending machines which are in coach 3 and 7, you can but hot and cold drinks as well as snacks. Passengers in Club and Prima class will be offered a catering service at an extra cost, which you must pay once on board. You can order the Italo breakfast, if you are travelling in the early morning between Milan and Rome.
- A. Frecciarossa trains offer two classes of travel: first class and second class. First Class ticket holders will receive a welcome drink, a snack and a daily Italian newspaper. Either travel class you may choose, you will be able to surf the Net on Frecciarossa trains using a USB key or any other portable device equipped with a Wi-Fi antenna.
Q. Why is printing options not authorized for all tickets which are sold on the Rail Europe Websites?A.When booking your tickets, you can choose your printing option: Paper ticket, "Print @ Home" or "Print @ the station". Paper tickets are always available. Nevertheless, the other options can be unavailable, depending on the route you have chosen. Please note that for the moment, "Print @ the station" is only offered on Eurostar, ATOC and on all trains departing from France (domestic and international trains such as Thalys, TGV Lyria etc.). The "Print @ Home" option is only offered if the booking includes a Eurostar, Thalys, French Journeys or Spanish trains.
- A. ICE trains link major German cities from Cologne in the west to Berlin in the east. But they also cross borders and go into France, Switzerland, Belgium, Austria, Denmark and the Netherlands.
answered | Posted by June S. | Comments 0 | Created: 20/07/2015
answered | Posted by Peter F. | Comments 0 | Created: 07/07/2015
answered | Posted by Francesca A. | Comments 2 | Created: 31/05/2015
answered | Posted by Brenda S. | Comments 0 | Created: 04/04/2015
answered | Posted by Ingrid K. | Comments 0 | Created: 15/03/2015
Reviews & ratings France-Spain high speed
Overall appreciationExcellent % Very good % Average % Poor % Terrible %
"Satisfied traveller"Maxine b. 19/08/2015
Excellent way to travel The date was 8th August 2015 that we travelled not May. Value for money Convenience
"Girona to Valence, great trip". 05/08/2015
The train from Girona to Valence was great. Punctual, smooth, clean, quiet. A great way to travel.
"way to go"Christopher g. 05/08/2015
Train was ontime, clean and comfortable. Train was very busy so baggage storage was a bit of a challenge and we got on the wrong part which didn't help. Otherwise all good. Value for money Convenience
"Our Experience"Donald m. 03/08/2015
Very comfortable and on time. Value for money Convenience
"Great train trip"Stephen s. 22/06/2015
Using printouts of E tickets was a first for me, but there were no problems, the rail staff at Barcelona Sants station were extremely helpful. We were in the first class section, upstairs. The seating was comfortable and once again the on board staff were friendly and helpful. The train was very smooth, the only problem was waiting for oncoming trains on the single track sections which resulted in the train being 35 minutes late. A really enjoyable train journey, I would recommend. Value for money Convenience
"Barcelona to Paris"Colin l. 16/06/2015
Our trip was very comfortable and the time passed quickly. The carriages were very clean and well appointed; even the windows were clean! I was disappointed that the Pyrenees were such a non-event!! The dining car needs to be bigger with respect to the serving area. Value for money Convenience
"Train comfort"Gordon p. 12/06/2015
Seats were comfortable and the service was as good as could be expected.it was a pleasant journey. Value for money Convenience
"To TGV or not TGV?"Kristin w. 12/06/2015
We had a very comfortable trip from Barcelona to France recently. It was great to have the fours seats together, facing each other for our group. The train was clean, on-time and very comfortable. The only downside was the lack of luggage space for large bags. This required a lot of manual handling by our group as many people disregarded the fact that others needed to store luggage too. More space definitely needs to be allocated. Staff were very helpful and it was great to hear the announcements in multiple languages. I would travel this way again rather than the plane :) Value for money Convenience
"An excellent way to travel."Clare j. 25/05/2015
Having never traveled to Europe, I found the ease of service and level of comfort impressive. As an English speaker, I was offered great courtesy as I tried to communicate in both Spain and France, by kind and professional staff. I would recommend your service to anyone. Value for money Convenience
"Barcelona to Narbonne"Graham h. 08/05/2015
Excellent on time service. Value for money Convenience
"Arrived relaxed and refreshed". 24/04/2015
Loved the journey, nice seats, with an accessible buffet car. although, we were travelling first class and I expected a meal to be included in the fare. Got very excited when the train went over the 300km/hr mark!
"A bit of a scramble."Michael j. 06/04/2015
Inside the Barcelona Sants station it was difficult to find out exactly where to go. Whilst this may have been due to the fact that it was a Friday afternoon perhaps a help desk might have been of more assistance. The information office simply pointed where we should go but then queues everywhere. It was a real scramble even though we had plenty of time. For retired people with suitcases and hand luggage it was not a very pleasant experience. The actual train journey was fine apart from the fact we had to haul our luggage onto the upper deck. Value for money Convenience
"Relaxing and convenient"Kim l. 27/03/2015
Our rail trip was easy to book from Australia and the whole experience was positive. I had travelled by rail in Europe before, but even if I hadn't, we had no trouble with the process - staff in Toulouse were very helpful. We travelled first class and would recommend if you want more space and have a lot of luggage. Value for money Convenience
"Nice trip"Matthew g. 16/03/2015
Beautiful scenery. Club car needs a bit of updating though. Value for money Convenience
"Simple and great train travel"John d. 01/02/2015
The journey from Barcelona Sants to Paris Gare Lyon was very easy. The ticketing was straightforward, getting to the station and on the train was simple, and the journey itself was comfortable and pleasant. It gave us a chance to see some countryside and rest as we travelled. Value for money Convenience