French trains: Intercités
- Book up to 90 days in advance
- Regional trains
5.5 milliontravellers in 2015
75+years of rail travel experience
French trains: Intercités
Intercités trains serve more than 300 destinations in France both day and night.
Intercités trains operate mainly on routes which are not served by TGV trains. They are mostly used on medium to long distance routes; operating both during the day and at night. As such, Intercités trains operated by the SNCF, require a compulsory seat reservation.
You can choose a comfortable recycling seat or berth when travelling on board the Intercités during the night. The Intercity night trains are equipped with private areas for solo travellers, couples and groups travelling together. There are also compartments which are reserved for women travelling alone or in group.
Popular journeys and travel durations
|Main routes||Travel time|
|Paris||Verneuil Sur Avre||01:01||AU$ 16|
|Paris||St Amand Montrond||02:55||AU$ 64|
|Paris||St Quentin||01:13||AU$ 30|
|Rang Du Fliers||Paris||02:13||AU$ 23|
|Villedieu Poules||Paris||02:38||AU$ 23|
|Bar Sur Aube||Paris||02:04||AU$ 33|
|Vendeuvre Local||Paris||01:50||AU$ 36|
|Paris||Culmont Chalindre||02:44||AU$ 41|
|Les Aubrais Orleans||Paris||00:57||AU$ 16|
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- French trains: Intercités tickets are open for booking 90 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Receive your ticket directly to your address. Just take them with you and you are ready to travel. Shipping fees apply.
Print @ home
Print your ticket anywhere and anytime before your travel. Skip shipping fees.
Print @ Station
Go to a self-service ticket machine and enter your reference to retrieve your ticket. Skip shipping fees.
Seat reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Experience the service
Intercités trains serve over 300 destinations in France.
|First class||Second class|
|Comfortable seats Spacious seats with a headrest and generous legroom. small>|
|Ergonomic seats Cosy with more legroom, ergonomic seats are ideal to enjoy the trip. small>|
|Power sockets Ideal to plug your laptop, phone or any electronic device from your seat. small>|
|Bar buffet car Access to the bar buffet car where snacks and beverages can be bought. small>|
|Private cabinIdeal for up to 3 travellers on board Intercity night trains. small>|
|4-bed cabinIdeal for a group of 4 travelling together on board Intercity night trains. small>|
|6-bed cabinsThe best way for a very comfortable ride in the company of friends or other fellow travellers on board Intercity night trains. small>|
Interactive Rail Map
- A. The standard of amount of luggage is 2 large items per person. Trains have either overhead storage racks throughout the car, storage room behind the back of your seat or luggage areas at the end of the car. There is no porter service available and all passengers are responsible for putting their own luggage on the train. Note: Luggage kept by the passenger and placed in the luggage racks remains under the sole responsibility of the traveler. The railroads assume no responsibility in case of loss, damage, or theft.
- A. You can print your tickets from the convenience of your home or you can retrieve them from self-service machines in London St Pancras, Brussels Midi or Paris Nord station before boarding your Eurostar train.
- A. Sorry, partially used passes are not refundable.
- A. There is no Senior fare available for Italo trains. However children aged from 4 to 14 have a 25% discount on the full adult fare. As for children under 3 years old, they can travel for free if they do not require any seat.
- A. Thalys trains offer two classes of travel: 1st class with Comfort 1 and 2nd class with Comfort 2. In Comfort 1, reclining seats will offer you a high level of comfort. Sockets for laptop or mobile phone are also available on some carriages as well as free newspapers on major routes. Wi-Fi is free in Thalys Comfort 1 and in 2nd class with flexible tickets. In 2nd class (Comfort 2), you will get access to a bar-buffet car offering food and refreshments for purchase. Wi-Fi is available at an additional cost in second class for more restrictive tickets.
- A. You can make reservations to travel on TGV Lyria trains up to 4 months before your travel date. To take advantage of the best fares, always try to buy your ticket as early as possible. And when buying your TGV Lyria tickets, check what exchange and refund conditions apply. Your fare type will be clearly stated on your ticket.
- A. Eurostar Direct Services can connect you directly from London to Paris, but also Brussels, Lille, Disneyland Paris and on a seasonal basis to Avignon in summer and to the French Alps during winter with a single weekly connection.
- A. The following trains require reservations: Eurostar, Thalys, Lyria, all TGV's, AVE, TGV France-Italy, Renfe, Trenitalia, Riveria, Swedish trains, City Night Line, DB (German) night trains, Elipsos, and the Paris-Germany night train. To check if the train you are looking at is on of these trains you just need to look at the details on the fare results to see the type of train in the title. The Swiss Scenic trains and some of the German ICE trains will also need reservations. These are route and time specific.
- A. All passengers with an AVE ticket may carry up to two pieces of hand luggage, for which they will be responsible and which they must store in the designated areas. The total weight limit is 20 kg and the combined dimensions (length + width + height) of each piece of luggage must not be more than 250 cm.
- A. A railpass month is counted as a calendar month. For example, a pass that begins on July 15th will expire at midnight on August 14th.
answered | Posted by Alan A. | Comments 0 | Created: 29/01/2015
Reviews & ratings French trains: Intercités
Overall appreciationExcellent % Very good % Average % Poor % Terrible %
- "Paris to Amiens" Catherine l. 15/10/2016
Comfortable journey both ways. We found second class to be very comfortable and came back to Paris first class, which was even more comfortable. Train travel in very efficient in France. Value for money Convenience
- "Quiet" Richard w. 15/10/2016
Very pleasant journey Value for money Convenience
- "Out of Paris" Andrew l. 27/09/2016
Train on time and easy boarding Value for money Convenience
- "Pleasant Second Class trip" John t. 11/09/2016
We were only able to book second class though would have preferred first class at the time. Second class is just a touch grotty and first class was less than half full. Train left and arrived on time. Value for money Convenience
- "Great trip!" Gavin f. 07/09/2016
We traveled from Paris to Amiens for the day to do a Battle Field tour around The Somme. The train was a great way to get to our destination on time and comfortably, and a great way to see the country side too. Value for money Convenience
- "Comfortable Trip" Dianne c. 03/09/2016
Good Comfortable Trip Value for money Convenience
- "Swift trip to Paris" Rodney n. 29/08/2016
The intercity train from Amiens to Paris Nord was a comfortable and very swift trip. We chose to sit in a compartment carriage and had the compartment to ourselves, that made stowing out luggage much easier. Train staff at Amiens were very helpful. Our Hotel was beside the Amiens station about 5 mins to the platform. Value for money Convenience
- "Hassle-free travel" Karen m. 27/08/2016
Economical, efficient, comfortable Value for money Convenience
- "Trip to explore Rouen" Peter w. 09/08/2016
We have mostly good comments about the trip. Suggestions to help other visitors to France: Perhaps there could be better signage to guide travellers moving from metro to RER at Lazare station. Ticket to Rouen, purchased online in Australia, did not mention that we should board a train to a city or town further down the line from Rouen. We actually looked for a train to Rouen on the electronic display. Note that one of your friendly staff on the platform (I think with bright coloured hat) helped guide us before it was too late. Thanks for the chance to provide comments. Value for money Convenience
- "Intercities" Darryn p. 01/08/2016
East transfer. Comfort ok except for luggage room. No wifi at all. Overall good value for money still.
- "Intercités" Ian b. 19/07/2016
Please note travel date shown on survey is the booking date, actual travel date was 1/7/2016. Easy to use and excellent service. Well done Rail Europe. Value for money Convenience
- "Train Amsterdam to Tours - 2" Steve b. 17/07/2016
Normal Intercity was comfortable and fairly quick. Useful to note that car hire in Tours requires you to get off the Train one stop before Tours Station (at St. Pierre des Corps) Value for money Convenience
- "More convenient than bus" Stephen b. 16/07/2016
More comfortable and quicker than bus. It is easy to read and look at the view from the train. Value for money Convenience
- "Very comfortable, good service" Terence h. 11/07/2016
A very comfortable journey with good service. The WiFi did not work until we were in Germany. Value for money Convenience
- "Paris–Rouen" Bronwen A p. 03/07/2016
train departed on time ... everything else exactly as expected ...