- Book up to 90 days in advance
travellers in 2015
years of rail travel experience
ICE, high speed trains. Best to visit all major cities in Germany, like Munich, Berlin, Frankfurt etc.
The Inter City Express, or ICE as it is widely known, is the high speed train which links Germany to the rest of Europe. Operated by Deutsche Bahn, ICE trains are modern state-of-the-art trains which can reach speeds of up to 300 km/h and use tilting technology to maintain these speeds on the bends. For an exhilarating ride head to the viewing gallery behind the driver’s compartment, and experience every twist and turn of the track with a bird’s eye view. This is possible on ICE3, ICE T and ICETD.
Popular journeys and travel durations
As well as connecting 32 major cities across Germany, including Munich, Berlin, Hanover, Cologne and Stuttgart, the ICE trains also operate internationally. Travellers can enjoy connections to Switzerland, Austria, Denmark and the Netherlands.
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- ICE tickets are open for booking 90 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
- Recommended for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket when offered by the train carrier. With the included reservation, you are guaranteed a seat to make your journey more enjoyable.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Experience the service
First class ticket holders can enjoy the Deutsche Bahn lounges in many cities. Lounges offer refreshments, internet access, somewhere quiet to sit and relax and newspapers and magazines to read.There is no check-in for ICE trains. Just climb aboard with your ticket. International passengers will have their passports and tickets checked on board. If you have chosen a Print @ the station ticket for more convenience, make sure to retrieve it from the self-service ticket machine at a railway station before the train departs. Don’t wait until the last minute to retrieve your ticket. To make your experience easier all announcements on board the ICE trains are made in German and English. Make your onward journey easier by pre-booking porters and taxis during your journey. For a small deposit (returnable on departure), your luggage can be locked away.
OnboardICE trains are modern and comfortable and all carriages are air conditioned and non-smoking. Passengers can choose from first or second class and all travellers will benefit from the audio channel with radio programmes, a children’s channel and a music programme from their seat. Some first class seats even have individual video screens. Passengers on board the ICE trains can also look forward to Bordbistro the restaurant carriage. Hot and cold meals, drinks and a la carte main dishes are available. First Class passengers are served to their seat with a choice of meals from the menu card. To make it more comfortable for passengers travelling with children the ICE trains have a play area in the Parent and Child compartment as well as changing facilities for younger children.
|First class||Second class|
|Reclining seats Cosy with more legroom, reclining seats are ideal to enjoy the trip. small>|
|Audio system Listen to your favourite tune while enjoying the passing landscape. small>|
|DB lounges at station Get the ultimate treat before any trip, or simply an ideal place to continue working. DB lounges are in Berlin, Hamburg and Munich. small>|
|Video screens Ideal for entertainment, some coaches are equipped with screens. small>|
|Power sockets Ideal to plug your laptop, phone or any electronic device from your seat. small>|
|Meal and drink A delicious meal and drinks are served at seat on board. small>|
|Quiet zones Be seated comfortably and without any disturbance in reserved quiet zones. small>|
|Bar buffet car Access to the bar buffet car where snacks and beverages can be bought. small>|
|Snacks and beverages Whenever you feel peckish, you can buy something on board to eat or drink. small>|
|WiFi Internet Enjoy the freedom to read your emails, surf and listen to online music thanks to the wireless internet on board. Available on certain trains only. small>|
See train travel from an entirely new point of view!
- Aboard the latest generation of ICE trains (ICE 3, ICE T and ICE TD) you will benefit from a panoramic lounge at the end of the train: discover the countryside from another perspective and in style and comfort. ICE high-speed trains will help you have a completely different travel experience!
Music, video and news
- Whether you are in 1st or 2nd class, the ICE trains offer an audio connection integrated into the seats. You can choose between three radio stations, the children’s channel and ICE musical programmes. Upgrade to 1st class! Some first class coaches aboard ICE trains feature individual video screens at your seat.
Eat at anytime of the day, you are on holidays!
- Aboard all ICE trains you will find a Bordbistro and/or Bordrestaurant. For breakfast, lunch or dinner, the Bordrestaurant gives you the choice between different set menus or “à la carte” main dishes, consisting of German and European specialities. The Bordbistro serves snacks and a wide selection of beverages to be consumed at your seat or in the Bordbistro. In ICE trains 1st class coaches you can benefit from an “at your seat” service for a selection of beverages and meals from the menus.
Interactive Rail Map
Q.Can I get off the train for a few hours and then get back on later that day if I'm holding a train ticket?A. A ticket that does not include a reservation for a specific train, does allow you to get on and off the train as much as you would like provided that your journey is completed within 2 months. Most tickets now include the reservations within the ticket, and do not permit the traveler to hop on or off the train If you are looking for more freedom to hop on and off the train, a railpass would be the best choice.
- A. Yes, there is a catering service on board Italo trains. While there are 2 Area break with self-service vending machines, there are no bar/restaurant coaches. From the vending machines which are in coach 3 and 7, you can but hot and cold drinks as well as snacks. Passengers in Club and Prima class will be offered a catering service at an extra cost, which you must pay once on board. You can order the Italo breakfast, if you are travelling in the early morning between Milan and Rome.
- A. Yes, you may travel as many times are you like between countries that are on your pass.
- A. The Swiss Family Card is a terrific value that allows children under 16 years of age to travel free when accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. The card is free, simply request one at the time you purchase your Swiss Pass. If you forget to mention it, then present your Swiss pass before boarding the train at any Swiss train station ticket window, at the time of validation and advise them that you need a Family Card. They will be able to provide you one.
- A. Frecciarossa trains offer a full sit-down restaurant service, with a regularly changing menu of traditional Italian dishes. The restaurant is very modern and elegant. Alternatively, Frecciarossa trains also feature a coffee bar service offering fresh sandwiches, snacks, desserts and hot and cold beverages.
- A. In most cases, railpasses are not accepted on city transportation systems such as buses and subways. Passes will generally cover local commuter trains that are above ground. The exception to this is the Swiss Pass, which is valid for transportation in 37 Swiss cities.
- A. First class on the Talgo 200 offers large, comfortable reclining seats, friendly staff to serve you drinks and light snacks at your seat and major routes have audio and video programs at your seat. Second class on the Talgo offers generous legroom, bar-buffet car offering a complete selection of food and beverages for purchase and major routes have audio and video programs at your seat.
- A.Refund policies for tickets will vary depending on the type of train and fare that are booked. Please check the "details" tab of each fare to obtain specific refund information for the fare you are purchasing.If you have already purchased your tickets, please review the terms and conditions that came with your documents. Except for PayPal, for which the amount can be reimbursed automatically on the PayPal account. For all the other payment services, a BIC (Bank Identifier Code) must be sent to receive the reimbursement of your purchase.
- A. Toilets are easily accessible on all the trains and are usually marked with the letters WC. Toilets can usually be found at the front or back of each train car (also known as a coach), and will include a sink, toilet and a locking door.
- A. There are no check-in or customs procedures before boarding ICE trains. Just be aware that for international destinations, ticket control and passport checks will occur on boarding the train. And if you are a pass holder, just remember that you have to validate your pass prior to boarding the ICE trains.
Reviews & ratings ICE
Overall rating (181)
Overall appreciationExcellent 41% Very good 32% Average 18% Poor 6% Terrible 4%
- "Fast ride" Paul o. 25/11/2016
The best way to get to Edinburgh. Good price tickets, seat not super spacious but with no one sitting next to me and train mostly empty it was fine. It would be wise to avoid 2nd class at peak times though. Value for money Convenience
- "Berlin to Frankfurt" Rodney w. 22/11/2016
A very pleasant journey; comfortable seats, although leg room is tight. Our biggest issue with the service was the lack of space for large luggage. Coming from Australia we had two large bags full of winter clothes. The overhead container were to small and there was no provision, except behind another passengers seat at the end of the carrage. Value for money Convenience
- "Great" Juergen d. 14/11/2016
Booking was extremely easy and the train was comfortable and clean. Value for money Convenience
- "Business trip" Brigitte s. 10/11/2016
Ideal way to travel as you are not waiting around on airports. Quick trip and clean. We booked well in advance and reserved the seats. WiFi available to enable you to keep working with refreshments also available on board. Only downside when travelling with suitcases, they need to go overhead or they are out of sight. Would be great if cases could be stored between seats. Value for money Convenience
- "Amsterdam to Berlin Train" Michele m. 21/10/2016
Good trip, on time and no problems at all. Much more convenient than flying. Value for money Convenience
- "Stuttgart to Munich" Sharna f. 18/10/2016
This was a fast and comfortable journey, would travel again when I visit Germany in the future. Value for money Convenience
- "Berlin - Prague" . 17/10/2016
Great trip following the river into Prague. The only mprovement would be to have more luggage racks.
- "Florence to Venice" Joyce d. 14/10/2016
Again great trip, very quick and seats comfortable. Good area to store our cases on board. Value for money Convenience
- "Europe2016" Jeffrey b. 13/10/2016
We travelled through Europe using trains between our destinations and found them all fantastic , from staff , to comfort and cleanliness of trains . Also arrival and departure all on time . Would recommend train travel to others. Thanks Jeff. Value for money Convenience
- "Love Trains -Hate App" Barbara b. 10/10/2016
I sent a message now 14 days ago about a problem I had I mentioned it it other feedback and still have not heard back Awful customer service - getting to the point where I will no longer refer The app gave me the wrong number to print out my ticket and I had to purchase a duplicate. It also told me a train had left that had not Trains are excellent Value for money Convenience
- "Train to Dresden" . 08/10/2016
Very comfortable, quite and relaxed journey, with the options of buffet service at your seat. Excellent.
- "Rail Europe the way to travel" Ralph h. 07/10/2016
The 6 hour train trip from Berlin to Munich was comfortable and the buffet car was convenient to stretch the legs and enjoy refreshment. Booking arrangements were very easy and everything went to plan. All arrangements with Rail Europe for the booking were simple and efficient. Value for money Convenience
- "Great train trip" Leanne t. 06/10/2016
Our first leg of our train trip thorough Europe and was great best of all the included lunch in first class section! Value for money Convenience
- "Quick trip" Gino g. 05/10/2016
Great trip high speed and quick enjoyed the trip. Value for money Convenience
- "quick trip to europe" Loren p. 04/10/2016
Purchasing tickets was quick and easy. It was convenient to get around europe when not on a tour. Value for money Convenience