- Book up to 90 days in advance
5.5 milliontravellers in 2015
75+years of rail travel experience
ICE, high speed trains. Best to visit all major cities in Germany, like Munich, Berlin, Frankfurt etc.
The Inter City Express, or ICE as it is widely known, is the high speed train which links Germany to the rest of Europe. Operated by Deutsche Bahn, ICE trains are modern state-of-the-art trains which can reach speeds of up to 300 km/h and use tilting technology to maintain these speeds on the bends. For an exhilarating ride head to the viewing gallery behind the driver’s compartment, and experience every twist and turn of the track with a bird’s eye view. This is possible on ICE3, ICE T and ICETD.
Popular journeys and travel durations
As well as connecting 32 major cities across Germany, including Munich, Berlin, Hanover, Cologne and Stuttgart, the ICE trains also operate internationally. Travellers can enjoy connections to Switzerland, Austria, Denmark and the Netherlands.
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- ICE tickets are open for booking 90 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
- Recommended for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket when offered by the train carrier. With the included reservation, you are guaranteed a seat to make your journey more enjoyable.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Experience the service
First class ticket holders can enjoy the Deutsche Bahn lounges in many cities. Lounges offer refreshments, internet access, somewhere quiet to sit and relax and newspapers and magazines to read.There is no check-in for ICE trains. Just climb aboard with your ticket. International passengers will have their passports and tickets checked on board. If you have chosen a Print @ the station ticket for more convenience, make sure to retrieve it from the self-service ticket machine at a railway station before the train departs. Don’t wait until the last minute to retrieve your ticket. To make your experience easier all announcements on board the ICE trains are made in German and English. Make your onward journey easier by pre-booking porters and taxis during your journey. For a small deposit (returnable on departure), your luggage can be locked away.
OnboardICE trains are modern and comfortable and all carriages are air conditioned and non-smoking. Passengers can choose from first or second class and all travellers will benefit from the audio channel with radio programmes, a children’s channel and a music programme from their seat. Some first class seats even have individual video screens. Passengers on board the ICE trains can also look forward to Bordbistro the restaurant carriage. Hot and cold meals, drinks and a la carte main dishes are available. First Class passengers are served to their seat with a choice of meals from the menu card. To make it more comfortable for passengers travelling with children the ICE trains have a play area in the Parent and Child compartment as well as changing facilities for younger children.
|First class||Second class|
|Reclining seats Cosy with more legroom, reclining seats are ideal to enjoy the trip. small>|
|Audio system Listen to your favourite tune while enjoying the passing landscape. small>|
|DB lounges at station Get the ultimate treat before any trip, or simply an ideal place to continue working. DB lounges are in Berlin, Hamburg and Munich. small>|
|Video screens Ideal for entertainment, some coaches are equipped with screens. small>|
|Power sockets Ideal to plug your laptop, phone or any electronic device from your seat. small>|
|Meal and drink A delicious meal and drinks are served at seat on board. small>|
|Quiet zones Be seated comfortably and without any disturbance in reserved quiet zones. small>|
|Bar buffet car Access to the bar buffet car where snacks and beverages can be bought. small>|
|Snacks and beverages Whenever you feel peckish, you can buy something on board to eat or drink. small>|
|WiFi Internet Enjoy the freedom to read your emails, surf and listen to online music thanks to the wireless internet on board. Available on certain trains only. small>|
See train travel from an entirely new point of view!
- Aboard the latest generation of ICE trains (ICE 3, ICE T and ICE TD) you will benefit from a panoramic lounge at the end of the train: discover the countryside from another perspective and in style and comfort. ICE high-speed trains will help you have a completely different travel experience!
Music, video and news
- Whether you are in 1st or 2nd class, the ICE trains offer an audio connection integrated into the seats. You can choose between three radio stations, the children’s channel and ICE musical programmes. Upgrade to 1st class! Some first class coaches aboard ICE trains feature individual video screens at your seat.
Eat at anytime of the day, you are on holidays!
- Aboard all ICE trains you will find a Bordbistro and/or Bordrestaurant. For breakfast, lunch or dinner, the Bordrestaurant gives you the choice between different set menus or “à la carte” main dishes, consisting of German and European specialities. The Bordbistro serves snacks and a wide selection of beverages to be consumed at your seat or in the Bordbistro. In ICE trains 1st class coaches you can benefit from an “at your seat” service for a selection of beverages and meals from the menus.
Interactive Rail Map
- A. Sorry, partially used passes are not refundable.
- A. Maps are provided with many multiple country passes and some single country passes. We have online maps for planning on our site.
Q. Can I get a discount on train travel in Great Britain when I purchase a Eurail or Eurail Select Pass?A. No, but you are eligible for a passholder fare on Eurostar, which travels from Paris or Brussels to London. For travel in Great Britain we offer BritRail products to help you travel around the country.
- A. Your payment details will be encoded and sent using a secure connection. You can check the security details by clicking with your right mouse button on the payment page and then selecting ‘Properties’. A window will pop up containing all connection data. The ‘Connection’ field shows that an SSL connection is used. Your credit card information, including the number and expiration date, will not be stored.
- A. Rail passes for children are generally half the adult fare. Some passes do not offer a child pass. Child tickets are offered on most trains and vary by train type. They are generally about half of an adult ticket. The Swiss Pass allows children under 16 to travel free when they are traveling with a parent who is holding a Swiss Pass. On BritRail passes, children 5 through 15 are free with each paying adult.
- A. TGV offers two different classes of travel: 1st and 2nd class. Larger seats that recline electronically, power sockets for laptop or mobile phone and access to the bar buffet car are among the main features you will find in TGV first class. In second class, you will enjoy comfortable seats with also an access to the bar-buffet car where you can choose from a vast selection of dishes and beverages.
- A. No, there are no student discounts. Discounts are offered to youth travelers instead. A youth traveler is any traveler who is 25 years of age or younger.
- A. Go to our train times on our Train Tickets and Schedules select the number of passengers then click the box next to "Click this box if you have a Rail Pass". All results that are displayed will show you fares that are valid for passes. To insure you select the correct fare for your pass view the details. All passes that are valid with each fare are listed in the details.
Q. Under train tickets and schedules, does the fare represent a per person rate or total for everyone?A. Our "Train Tickets and Schedules" section calculates the total cost of your outbound journey first, and it includes the cost for the number of people that you specify. Once you choose an outbound journey, the costs of the return journey appear.
- A. The Eurail Select Pass is valid on trains operated by the national railways of the three to five bordering countries you select. However, some trains require seat reservations. For example, for many high-speed services, international trains, scenic trains and all night trains, an advance reservation is compulsory.
Reviews & ratings ICE
Overall rating (181)
Overall appreciationExcellent 41% Very good 32% Average 18% Poor 6% Terrible 4%
- "Comfortable, but mixed review" Katerina d. 16/01/2017
It was not clear online that wifi is only provided once we crossed the border into Germany. Wifi also did not work on my connecting ICE train between Frankfurt and Munich, which was a disappointment as I needed to contact those meeting me upon my arrival. There were no lockers for my suitcase, despite it being advertised online so I had to keep it next to me as was too big to go overhead. Otherwise, a nice, yet expensive for value, experience. Value for money Convenience
- "Amsterdam to Osnabrueck" Rosalyn o. 15/01/2017
This trip went very smoothly. It was on time and the seats were comfortable. The Wi-Fi was useful. Value for money Convenience
- "Hamburg to Nurnberg" Rosalyn o. 15/01/2017
The train was comfortable and was on time. We found the Wi-Fi useful too. There was not enough room for our luggage and these had to be kept in the entrance foyer of the carriage so I found myself having to get up at every stop to make sure they were not in the way of entering and exiting passengers. other passengers had theirs in corridors, so additional luggage space would be beneficial. Also we found that there was a conflict of seat numbers as there was someone in one of our seats when we boarded and during the course of the trip another passenger had the same seat number as us and the train guard was called to sort it out. These things made the trip a little awkward but apart from this the trip was pleasurable. Value for money Convenience
- "Amazing Scenery" Kenneth d. 22/12/2016
This trip has some unbelievable scenery, especially in Winter. Value for money Convenience
- "Fantastic" . 14/12/2016
Our trip on the ICE was fantastic. Could not complain about anything. It was clean, punctual and good value for money. Love the trains in Europe
- "Fast ride" Paul o. 25/11/2016
The best way to get to Edinburgh. Good price tickets, seat not super spacious but with no one sitting next to me and train mostly empty it was fine. It would be wise to avoid 2nd class at peak times though. Value for money Convenience
- "Berlin to Frankfurt" Rodney w. 22/11/2016
A very pleasant journey; comfortable seats, although leg room is tight. Our biggest issue with the service was the lack of space for large luggage. Coming from Australia we had two large bags full of winter clothes. The overhead container were to small and there was no provision, except behind another passengers seat at the end of the carrage. Value for money Convenience
- "Great" Juergen d. 14/11/2016
Booking was extremely easy and the train was comfortable and clean. Value for money Convenience
- "Business trip" Brigitte s. 10/11/2016
Ideal way to travel as you are not waiting around on airports. Quick trip and clean. We booked well in advance and reserved the seats. WiFi available to enable you to keep working with refreshments also available on board. Only downside when travelling with suitcases, they need to go overhead or they are out of sight. Would be great if cases could be stored between seats. Value for money Convenience
- "Amsterdam to Berlin Train" Michele m. 21/10/2016
Good trip, on time and no problems at all. Much more convenient than flying. Value for money Convenience
- "Stuttgart to Munich" Sharna f. 18/10/2016
This was a fast and comfortable journey, would travel again when I visit Germany in the future. Value for money Convenience
- "Berlin - Prague" . 17/10/2016
Great trip following the river into Prague. The only mprovement would be to have more luggage racks.
- "Florence to Venice" Joyce d. 14/10/2016
Again great trip, very quick and seats comfortable. Good area to store our cases on board. Value for money Convenience
- "Europe2016" Jeffrey b. 13/10/2016
We travelled through Europe using trains between our destinations and found them all fantastic , from staff , to comfort and cleanliness of trains . Also arrival and departure all on time . Would recommend train travel to others. Thanks Jeff. Value for money Convenience
- "Love Trains -Hate App" Barbara b. 10/10/2016
I sent a message now 14 days ago about a problem I had I mentioned it it other feedback and still have not heard back Awful customer service - getting to the point where I will no longer refer The app gave me the wrong number to print out my ticket and I had to purchase a duplicate. It also told me a train had left that had not Trains are excellent Value for money Convenience