Save AU$ 45 with code EUROPE1734 - book 3 months in advance
Save AU$ 30 with code EUROPE1718 - book 2 months in advance
Save AU$ 15 with code EUROPE1702 - book 1 month in advance
- Book up to 90 days in advance
5.5 milliontravellers in 2015
75+years of rail travel experience
ICE, high speed trains. Best to visit all major cities in Germany, like Munich, Berlin, Frankfurt etc.
The Inter City Express, or ICE as it is widely known, is the high speed train which links Germany to the rest of Europe. Operated by Deutsche Bahn, ICE trains are modern state-of-the-art trains which can reach speeds of up to 300 km/h and use tilting technology to maintain these speeds on the bends. For an exhilarating ride head to the viewing gallery behind the driver’s compartment, and experience every twist and turn of the track with a bird’s eye view. This is possible on ICE3, ICE T and ICETD.
Popular journeys and travel durations
As well as connecting 32 major cities across Germany, including Munich, Berlin, Hanover, Cologne and Stuttgart, the ICE trains also operate internationally. Travellers can enjoy connections to Switzerland, Austria, Denmark and the Netherlands.
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- ICE tickets are open for booking 90 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
- Recommended for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket when offered by the train carrier. With the included reservation, you are guaranteed a seat to make your journey more enjoyable.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Experience the service
First class ticket holders can enjoy the Deutsche Bahn lounges in many cities. Lounges offer refreshments, internet access, somewhere quiet to sit and relax and newspapers and magazines to read.There is no check-in for ICE trains. Just climb aboard with your ticket. International passengers will have their passports and tickets checked on board. If you have chosen a Print @ the station ticket for more convenience, make sure to retrieve it from the self-service ticket machine at a railway station before the train departs. Don’t wait until the last minute to retrieve your ticket. To make your experience easier all announcements on board the ICE trains are made in German and English. Make your onward journey easier by pre-booking porters and taxis during your journey. For a small deposit (returnable on departure), your luggage can be locked away.
OnboardICE trains are modern and comfortable and all carriages are air conditioned and non-smoking. Passengers can choose from first or second class and all travellers will benefit from the audio channel with radio programmes, a children’s channel and a music programme from their seat. Some first class seats even have individual video screens. Passengers on board the ICE trains can also look forward to Bordbistro the restaurant carriage. Hot and cold meals, drinks and a la carte main dishes are available. First Class passengers are served to their seat with a choice of meals from the menu card. To make it more comfortable for passengers travelling with children the ICE trains have a play area in the Parent and Child compartment as well as changing facilities for younger children.
|First class||Second class|
|Reclining seats Cosy with more legroom, reclining seats are ideal to enjoy the trip. small>|
|Audio system Listen to your favourite tune while enjoying the passing landscape. small>|
|DB lounges at station Get the ultimate treat before any trip, or simply an ideal place to continue working. DB lounges are in Berlin, Hamburg and Munich. small>|
|Video screens Ideal for entertainment, some coaches are equipped with screens. small>|
|Power sockets Ideal to plug your laptop, phone or any electronic device from your seat. small>|
|Meal and drink A delicious meal and drinks are served at seat on board. small>|
|Quiet zones Be seated comfortably and without any disturbance in reserved quiet zones. small>|
|Bar buffet car Access to the bar buffet car where snacks and beverages can be bought. small>|
|Snacks and beverages Whenever you feel peckish, you can buy something on board to eat or drink. small>|
|WiFi Internet Enjoy the freedom to read your emails, surf and listen to online music thanks to the wireless internet on board. Available on certain trains only. small>|
See train travel from an entirely new point of view!
- Aboard the latest generation of ICE trains (ICE 3, ICE T and ICE TD) you will benefit from a panoramic lounge at the end of the train: discover the countryside from another perspective and in style and comfort. ICE high-speed trains will help you have a completely different travel experience!
Music, video and news
- Whether you are in 1st or 2nd class, the ICE trains offer an audio connection integrated into the seats. You can choose between three radio stations, the children’s channel and ICE musical programmes. Upgrade to 1st class! Some first class coaches aboard ICE trains feature individual video screens at your seat.
Eat at anytime of the day, you are on holidays!
- Aboard all ICE trains you will find a Bordbistro and/or Bordrestaurant. For breakfast, lunch or dinner, the Bordrestaurant gives you the choice between different set menus or “à la carte” main dishes, consisting of German and European specialities. The Bordbistro serves snacks and a wide selection of beverages to be consumed at your seat or in the Bordbistro. In ICE trains 1st class coaches you can benefit from an “at your seat” service for a selection of beverages and meals from the menus.
Interactive Rail Map
Q. I've purchased a single country pass. What do I do if I decide to visit an additional, bordering country?A. Your railpass covers you to the border city of the country you are traveling in. You will need to purchase additional tickets to travel in any country not covered on your pass. If you are planning to travel to more than one city, you may want to consider upgrading your pass to cover an additional country.
- A. Frecciarossa trains offer two classes of travel: first class and second class. First Class ticket holders will receive a welcome drink, a snack and a daily Italian newspaper. Either travel class you may choose, you will be able to surf the Net on Frecciarossa trains using a USB key or any other portable device equipped with a Wi-Fi antenna.
Q. What are the differences between Full Fare, Leisure Fare, Youth Fare, Passholder Fare and Senior Fare on Eurostar?A. Full Fare is an unrestricted ticket. It is fully exchangeable and refundable even after the departure date. For exchanges and refunds, your local Raileurope office must receive the ticket no later than 60 days after the train's departure date. Click here to get the Contact Us adress. Value fare is non-exchangeable and non-refundable. Youth Fare (for travelers under 26 years of age) is exchangeable once in Europe before departure date. It is non-refundable. Passholder Fare (issued in conjunction with appropriate railpass) is exchangeable once in Europe. It is non-refundable. Senior Fare (for travelers 60 years of age and over) is exchangeable once in Europe. It is non-refundable.
- A. Due to the limited availability on overnight trains, if you must change your sleeper reservation, try to do so immediately. You can visit the local station at least 24 hours prior to the train's departure and see what is available. Be aware that your reservation change may be subject to local service fees and/or upgrade charges. Reservations are required for sleepers and couchettes on all overnight trains and can be made up to 60 days in advance.
- A. Our popular Swiss Card provides 1 roundtrip by rail from any Swiss airport or border to 1 single destination. It also includes a 50% discount on all Swiss railways, lake steamers, postal buses, and excursions to mountaintops.
- A. Yes, depending on the country you are traveling in. Generally there are local trains that travel the same route as high-speed trains, however they generally take much longer to travel the same route. You will need to weigh the cost of a reservation compared with the time it will take to travel the same route. Example: Lyon to Marseille is generally about 1 hour 45 minutes on the TGV. A local train for this same route would be about 3 and half hours.
- A. Gatwick and Heathrow Express trains run every 15 minutes.
- A. When travelling with Thalys, you can carry a maximum of two suitcases per paying passenger (the largest side must be equal to 85 centimetres) and one item of hand luggage.
- A. Like most high-speed train services, you’ll need to reserve a seat to travel on Frecciarossa trains. For holders of Eurail Global Pass, Eurail Select Pass (including Italy) / Eurail France-Italy pass / Eurail Greece-Italy / Eurail Italy Pass, just remember that you need to validate your pass before boarding a Frecciarossa train.
- A. Discounted Senior rates for travelers 60 and older are available on the following passes: Balkan Flexipass-1st class BritRail Consecutive and Flexipass 1st class, BritRail England Consecutive and Flexipass 1st Class France Rail Pass, 1st Class Eurail Ireland Pass - 2nd Class Eurail Romania Pass - 1st class
Reviews & ratings ICE
Overall rating (181)
Overall appreciationExcellent 41% Very good 32% Average 18% Poor 6% Terrible 4%
- "Comfortable, but mixed review" Katerina d. 16/01/2017
It was not clear online that wifi is only provided once we crossed the border into Germany. Wifi also did not work on my connecting ICE train between Frankfurt and Munich, which was a disappointment as I needed to contact those meeting me upon my arrival. There were no lockers for my suitcase, despite it being advertised online so I had to keep it next to me as was too big to go overhead. Otherwise, a nice, yet expensive for value, experience. Value for money Convenience
- "Amsterdam to Osnabrueck" Rosalyn o. 15/01/2017
This trip went very smoothly. It was on time and the seats were comfortable. The Wi-Fi was useful. Value for money Convenience
- "Hamburg to Nurnberg" Rosalyn o. 15/01/2017
The train was comfortable and was on time. We found the Wi-Fi useful too. There was not enough room for our luggage and these had to be kept in the entrance foyer of the carriage so I found myself having to get up at every stop to make sure they were not in the way of entering and exiting passengers. other passengers had theirs in corridors, so additional luggage space would be beneficial. Also we found that there was a conflict of seat numbers as there was someone in one of our seats when we boarded and during the course of the trip another passenger had the same seat number as us and the train guard was called to sort it out. These things made the trip a little awkward but apart from this the trip was pleasurable. Value for money Convenience
- "Amazing Scenery" Kenneth d. 22/12/2016
This trip has some unbelievable scenery, especially in Winter. Value for money Convenience
- "Fantastic" . 14/12/2016
Our trip on the ICE was fantastic. Could not complain about anything. It was clean, punctual and good value for money. Love the trains in Europe
- "Fast ride" Paul o. 25/11/2016
The best way to get to Edinburgh. Good price tickets, seat not super spacious but with no one sitting next to me and train mostly empty it was fine. It would be wise to avoid 2nd class at peak times though. Value for money Convenience
- "Berlin to Frankfurt" Rodney w. 22/11/2016
A very pleasant journey; comfortable seats, although leg room is tight. Our biggest issue with the service was the lack of space for large luggage. Coming from Australia we had two large bags full of winter clothes. The overhead container were to small and there was no provision, except behind another passengers seat at the end of the carrage. Value for money Convenience
- "Great" Juergen d. 14/11/2016
Booking was extremely easy and the train was comfortable and clean. Value for money Convenience
- "Business trip" Brigitte s. 10/11/2016
Ideal way to travel as you are not waiting around on airports. Quick trip and clean. We booked well in advance and reserved the seats. WiFi available to enable you to keep working with refreshments also available on board. Only downside when travelling with suitcases, they need to go overhead or they are out of sight. Would be great if cases could be stored between seats. Value for money Convenience
- "Amsterdam to Berlin Train" Michele m. 21/10/2016
Good trip, on time and no problems at all. Much more convenient than flying. Value for money Convenience
- "Stuttgart to Munich" Sharna f. 18/10/2016
This was a fast and comfortable journey, would travel again when I visit Germany in the future. Value for money Convenience
- "Berlin - Prague" . 17/10/2016
Great trip following the river into Prague. The only mprovement would be to have more luggage racks.
- "Florence to Venice" Joyce d. 14/10/2016
Again great trip, very quick and seats comfortable. Good area to store our cases on board. Value for money Convenience
- "Europe2016" Jeffrey b. 13/10/2016
We travelled through Europe using trains between our destinations and found them all fantastic , from staff , to comfort and cleanliness of trains . Also arrival and departure all on time . Would recommend train travel to others. Thanks Jeff. Value for money Convenience
- "Love Trains -Hate App" Barbara b. 10/10/2016
I sent a message now 14 days ago about a problem I had I mentioned it it other feedback and still have not heard back Awful customer service - getting to the point where I will no longer refer The app gave me the wrong number to print out my ticket and I had to purchase a duplicate. It also told me a train had left that had not Trains are excellent Value for money Convenience