Italian trains: Frecciarossa
- Venice - Milan: 02:23
- Book early, save up to 60%
- Book up to 120 days in advance
- High speed trains
Italian trains: Frecciarossa
Frecciarossa, high speed trains serving all main cities like Rome, Florence, Venice, Milan, and Naples.
Anyone travelling across Italy by train will soon become familiar with the Frecciarossa, which are high speed modern trains. Also known as the Red Arrow, the Frecciarrossa is operated by Trenitalia, the national railway company of Italy. The popular high speed trains whisk passengers at a speed of 225 mph from one end of the country to the other. They carry over a million passengers monthly just on the Turin and Salerno route! The most popular route is from Milan to Rome. Trenitalia also serves Sicily and Sardinia, so make sure you check the rail map before planning your route. Another beautiful journey is from the north of the country to the stunning Amalfi coast taking-in the beautiful Italian countryside along the way.
Popular journeys and travel durations
Main destinations served by the Frecciarossa trains include Rome, Naples, Milan and Florence.
|Reggio Emilia||Rome||02:53||AU$ 92|
|Milan||Rimini It||02:10||AU$ 78|
|Milan||Reggio Emilia||01:25||AU$ 42|
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- Italian trains: Frecciarossa tickets are open for booking 120 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Print @ home
Print your ticket anywhere and anytime before your travel. Skip shipping fees.
Seat reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Looking for a weekend on the Amalfi coast or shopping in Milan? Italy’s national rail network, Trenitalia offers train travellers the best way to get around the beautiful and diverse country.
As well as the mainland trains Trenitalia also operated the railways on the isles of Sicily and Sardinia and internationally it connects to Austria, France, Germany, Hungary and Switzerland.
Experience the service
Before you board
Railway stations served by the Frecciarossa are right in the centre of the cities, with good public transport connections, close to hotels and restaurants.There is no check-in although we do recommend you arrive at least 15 minutes before departure. A ticket inspector will check your ticket on the train.
OnboardFrecciarossa trains have both first class and second class. All trains offer a comfortable on-board experience from soundproof, air conditioned carriages to ergonomic chairs.
|First class||Second class||Second class|
|Carrier’s designationName of class of service as you might see on your ticket. small>||Business||Premium||Standard|
|Newspapers and magazines Grab your free international/local newspaper or magazine and enjoy the ride. small>|
|Comfortable seats Spacious seats with a headrest and generous legroom. small>|
|Reclining seats Cosy with more legroom, reclining seats are ideal to enjoy the trip. small>|
|Welcome drink Nothing more refreshing than being welcomed by a drink from the friendly staff. small>|
|Bar buffet car Access to the bar buffet car where snacks and beverages can be bought. small>|
|Trolley service Catering by the trolley service is offered directly at seat. small>|
|Air conditioned carriages Makes it bliss when travelling during the summer period. small>|
|WiFi Internet Enjoy the freedom to read your emails, surf and listen to online music thanks to the wireless internet on board. small>|
The high speed Trenitalia Frecce take passengers on an incredible journey across Italy onboard modern comfortable trains. Passengers can enjoy sound proof carriages, reclining chairs and a friendly professional service as well as refreshments and fantastic scenery.
Interactive Rail Map
- A. Bookings for a Frecciarossa trains can be made up to 4 months before you depart.
- A. Frecciarossa trains offer two classes of travel: first class and second class. First Class ticket holders will receive a welcome drink, a snack and a daily Italian newspaper. Either travel class you may choose, you will be able to surf the Net on Frecciarossa trains using a USB key or any other portable device equipped with a Wi-Fi antenna.
- A. Like most high-speed train services, you’ll need to reserve a seat to travel on Frecciarossa trains. For holders of Eurail Global Pass, Eurail Select Pass (including Italy) / Eurail France-Italy pass / Eurail Greece-Italy / Eurail Italy Pass, just remember that you need to validate your pass before boarding a Frecciarossa train.
- A. First class on the Italian day train offers large, comfortable reclining seats, and bar-buffet car offering a complete selection of food and beverages for purchase. (on major routes) Second class on the Italian day train offers generous legroom and bar-buffet car offering a complete selection of food and beverages for purchase. (on major routes)
- A. On-board Frecciarossa trains, the official luggage allowance is two large bags or suitcases and one piece of hand luggage. It’s enough to enjoy a very long trip and explore the richness of Italy.
- A. Frecciarossa trains offer a full sit-down restaurant service, with a regularly changing menu of traditional Italian dishes. The restaurant is very modern and elegant. Alternatively, Frecciarossa trains also feature a coffee bar service offering fresh sandwiches, snacks, desserts and hot and cold beverages.
- A. Frecciarossa trains run on the high-speed line connecting Turin to Salerno, Northern to Southern Italy and more particularly Milan, Bologna, Florence, Rome, and Naples. These trains connect Bologna to Florence in just 37 minutes and Rome to Milan in less than 3 hours. Travel time between Milan and Florence is just 1 hour and 45 minutes.
- A. There are no check-in or customs procedures before boarding a Frecciarossa train. Though, ticket control and passport checks will occur on board Frecciarossa train.
answered | Posted by Giuseppina R. | Comments 0 | Created: 06/05/2016
answered | Posted by Leanne M. | Comments 0 | Created: 20/03/2016
answered | Posted by Lisa S. | Comments 0 | Created: 02/03/2016
answered | Posted by Walter L. | Comments 0 | Created: 27/01/2016
Is there a route from venice (santa lucia) to grindelwald on 28-05-16 1st class cabin. how much is the (...)Hi I am looking to purchase one way ticket from Venice (santa lucia) to Grindelwald Swiss. Would like to leave after 2pm on (...)
answered | Posted by ANKIT K. | Comments 0 | Created: 20/01/2016
Reviews & ratings Italian trains: Frecciarossa
Overall rating (705)
Overall appreciationExcellent 36% Very good 36% Average 20% Poor 4% Terrible 4%
- "Venice via Milan to Camogli." Susan s. 21/10/2016
This was a very easy way to travel from Venice. Our end destination was Camogli via Milan. To book our travel all the way, four hours, the first leg was business class as first class was already fully booked.. There was no real class difference as we were both in the same carriage, just cost more, but we had luggage, so we wanted to have room with that and our seat allocation. For this time of year probably could have gone second class but I liked the fact we had a seat and didn't have to worry. It was easy to book online, no worries once on the train with print out. Value for money Convenience
- "Train from Florence to Rome" Alison e. 19/10/2016
Was a very easy way to travel. The train was on time, clean and easy to find our seats. Would have liked more room to store our luggage but other than that, the trip was comfortable and pleasant Value for money Convenience
- "Good journey" Nicole m. 16/10/2016
My recent train journey was hassle free. The train was only a few minutes late. Carriage easy to locate. Ample luggage storage. Carriage was spacious as not full. Complimentary drink and snack were good. Unfortunately unable to connect to wifi however this time I had a portable wifi I had hired so it did not bother me. We arrived in Turin before I knew it Value for money Convenience
- "great trip" Wayne e. 15/10/2016
Best way to travel Value for money
- "Firenze renaissance" Peter l. 15/10/2016
We were coming from the Tuscan countryside and the GPS didn't work. So we were lost in Florence. Very stressed! Finally finding Budget rent a car we dropped it off and missed our train by 4 minutes, and were told we had to buy another ticket. Three hours later we arrived in Milan at a cost of Euro 216. This was unfair and will recommend tourists don't buy off the internet. Any chance of a refund? Pleased to see guards this time as we were accosted two years ago. Trains are great, best way to travel, but service is unfriendly sometimes. One guy had a great sense of humour. Value for money Convenience
- "Train from Venice to Bologna" Barbara c. 14/10/2016
Train was clean, comfortable, fast and very pleasant. We had suitcases so it was a priority to get on early to put them in the luggage compartment and many others take up the space. Value for money Convenience
- "Hamburg to Berlin" Joyce d. 14/10/2016
High speed train was great, good case storage, very comfortable seats and good service on the train. Very clean and quiet. Value for money Convenience
- "Comfortable" Christopher t. 13/10/2016
Wonderful trip. No problems! Value for money Convenience
- "Easy comfortable way to travel" David m. 13/10/2016
Our 2 couples traveled effortlessly from Florence to Naples in comfort and peace and quiet. We had room for our luggage and space to relax for the 3 hour journey. Value for money Convenience
- "Enjoyable trip to Napoli" Dianne g. 11/10/2016
A good trip, comfortable and enjoyable. Value for money Convenience
- "Great Trip" Mark a. 10/10/2016
Enjoyed this effortless train trip.Staff were friendly and the train was clean. Value for money Convenience
- "Enjoyable trip." Mark a. 10/10/2016
It was our first European train trip and it was great. Train was clean and staff were friendly. Value for money Convenience
- "Great way to travel " Kathryn b. 10/10/2016
Our trip from Venice to Verona was part of a month we spent in Italy in September, travelling around mostly by rail, and mostly on the Frecciarossa. We found the train service excellent - very inexpensive, very fast, very comfortable, and all our trains ran pretty much on time - within 10 minutes or less of scheduled departure. Our trips were very easy to book online and trains were easy to find and board, despite not speaking Italian. We definitely recommend travelling around Italy by train - love the Frecciarossa! Value for money Convenience
- "Frecciarossa to Roma" Peter n. 09/10/2016
There is no doubt that the Frecciarossa sets new standards for train travel. There was not a thing you could complain about except train access can still be difficult especially with heavy suitcases. Value for money Convenience
- "Naples to Rome" William c. 08/10/2016
The whole experience was painless and pleasant. Train was clean, comfortable, fast and on time - thanks! Value for money Convenience