Italian trains: Frecciarossa
- Venice - Milan: 02:23
- Book early, save up to 60%
- Book up to 120 days in advance
- High Speed trains
travellers in 2015
years of rail travel experience
Italian trains: Frecciarossa
Frecciarossa, high speed trains serving all main cities like Rome, Florence, Venice, Milan, and Naples.
Anyone travelling across Italy by train will soon become familiar with the Frecciarossa, which are high speed modern trains. Also known as the Red Arrow, the Frecciarrossa is operated by Trenitalia, the national railway company of Italy. The popular high speed trains whisk passengers at a speed of 225 mph from one end of the country to the other. They carry over a million passengers monthly just on the Turin and Salerno route! The most popular route is from Milan to Rome. Trenitalia also serves Sicily and Sardinia, so make sure you check the rail map before planning your route. Another beautiful journey is from the north of the country to the stunning Amalfi coast taking-in the beautiful Italian countryside along the way.
Popular journeys and travel durations
Main destinations served by the Frecciarossa trains include Rome, Naples, Milan and Florence.
|Reggio Emilia||Rome||02:53||AU$ 92|
|Milan||Reggio Emilia||01:25||AU$ 42|
|Rimini It||Milan||02:26||AU$ 78|
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- Italian trains: Frecciarossa tickets are open for booking 120 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Print @ home
Print your ticket anywhere and anytime before your travel. Skip shipping fees.
Seat reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Looking for a weekend on the Amalfi coast or shopping in Milan? Italy’s national rail network, Trenitalia offers train travellers the best way to get around the beautiful and diverse country.
As well as the mainland trains Trenitalia also operated the railways on the isles of Sicily and Sardinia and internationally it connects to Austria, France, Germany, Hungary and Switzerland.
Experience the service
Before you board
Railway stations served by the Frecciarossa are right in the centre of the cities, with good public transport connections, close to hotels and restaurants.There is no check-in although we do recommend you arrive at least 15 minutes before departure. A ticket inspector will check your ticket on the train.
OnboardFrecciarossa trains have both first class and second class. All trains offer a comfortable on-board experience from soundproof, air conditioned carriages to ergonomic chairs.
|First class||Second class||Second class|
|Carrier’s designationName of class of service as you might see on your ticket. small>||Business||Premium||Standard|
|Newspapers and magazines Grab your free international/local newspaper or magazine and enjoy the ride. small>|
|Comfortable seats Spacious seats with a headrest and generous legroom. small>|
|Reclining seats Cosy with more legroom, reclining seats are ideal to enjoy the trip. small>|
|Welcome drink Nothing more refreshing than being welcomed by a drink from the friendly staff. small>|
|Bar buffet car Access to the bar buffet car where snacks and beverages can be bought. small>|
|Trolley service Catering by the trolley service is offered directly at seat. small>|
|Air conditioned carriages Makes it bliss when travelling during the summer period. small>|
|WiFi Internet Enjoy the freedom to read your emails, surf and listen to online music thanks to the wireless internet on board. small>|
The high speed Trenitalia Frecce take passengers on an incredible journey across Italy onboard modern comfortable trains. Passengers can enjoy sound proof carriages, reclining chairs and a friendly professional service as well as refreshments and fantastic scenery.
Interactive Rail Map
- A. There are no check-in or customs procedures before boarding a Frecciarossa train. Though, ticket control and passport checks will occur on board Frecciarossa train.
- A. On-board Frecciarossa trains, the official luggage allowance is two large bags or suitcases and one piece of hand luggage. It’s enough to enjoy a very long trip and explore the richness of Italy.
- A. Frecciarossa trains offer two classes of travel: first class and second class. First Class ticket holders will receive a welcome drink, a snack and a daily Italian newspaper. Either travel class you may choose, you will be able to surf the Net on Frecciarossa trains using a USB key or any other portable device equipped with a Wi-Fi antenna.
- A. Bookings for a Frecciarossa trains can be made up to 4 months before you depart.
- A. Frecciarossa trains offer a full sit-down restaurant service, with a regularly changing menu of traditional Italian dishes. The restaurant is very modern and elegant. Alternatively, Frecciarossa trains also feature a coffee bar service offering fresh sandwiches, snacks, desserts and hot and cold beverages.
- A. Frecciarossa trains run on the high-speed line connecting Turin to Salerno, Northern to Southern Italy and more particularly Milan, Bologna, Florence, Rome, and Naples. These trains connect Bologna to Florence in just 37 minutes and Rome to Milan in less than 3 hours. Travel time between Milan and Florence is just 1 hour and 45 minutes.
- A. Like most high-speed train services, you’ll need to reserve a seat to travel on Frecciarossa trains. For holders of Eurail Global Pass, Eurail Select Pass (including Italy) / Eurail France-Italy pass / Eurail Greece-Italy / Eurail Italy Pass, just remember that you need to validate your pass before boarding a Frecciarossa train.
- A. First class on the Italian day train offers large, comfortable reclining seats, and bar-buffet car offering a complete selection of food and beverages for purchase. (on major routes) Second class on the Italian day train offers generous legroom and bar-buffet car offering a complete selection of food and beverages for purchase. (on major routes)
answered | Posted by Giuseppina R. | Comments 0 | Created: 06/05/2016
answered | Posted by Leanne M. | Comments 0 | Created: 20/03/2016
answered | Posted by Lisa S. | Comments 0 | Created: 02/03/2016
answered | Posted by Walter L. | Comments 0 | Created: 27/01/2016
Is there a route from venice (santa lucia) to grindelwald on 28-05-16 1st class cabin. how much is the (...)Hi I am looking to purchase one way ticket from Venice (santa lucia) to Grindelwald Swiss. Would like to leave after 2pm on (...)
answered | Posted by ANKIT K. | Comments 0 | Created: 20/01/2016
Reviews & ratings Italian trains: Frecciarossa
Overall rating (705)
Overall appreciationExcellent 36% Very good 36% Average 20% Poor 4% Terrible 4%
- "Easy and enjoyable" Jo d. 19/11/2016
Smooth and enjoyable experience. A lot easier and more cost effective than air transport. I do wish the cafe car was restocked more often. (Possibly at each major stop) Value for money Convenience
- "Bologna to Zurich" Loretta i. 10/11/2016
Great trip - fast train Bologna to Milan then normal from Milan to Zurich. Good combination as not much scenery in first leg but great scenery in second leg. Value for money Convenience
- "Review ven - rom" Matthew d. 08/11/2016
travelled "first class". Was actually quiet business class sitting opposite other travellers. Didn't seem very different to coach but nevertheless comfortable. Would have been nice to have direction to buffet carriage or been told food and drink was complimentary. Train in Europe we find are very convinient and efficient Value for money Convenience
- "Excellent and on-time" William g. 07/11/2016
A very pleasant trip and ran to schedule which was pleasing as we had connections that we couldn't miss. Value for money Convenience
- "Ancona to Bologna by train" Carol f. 05/11/2016
This trip was straightforward and comfortable, with courteous train staff. It was So be warned to have a good choice for those who, like us, arrived on the overnight ferry from Split. The difficult part was getting any information at all at the ferry terminal about the location of the train station and there were no money change facilities at the ferry terminal or the railway station - strange in a port with regular international passengers. Value for money Convenience
- "Should have been better" Alastair m. 03/11/2016
The whole experience was disappointing from waiting for departure screen notification, no railway staff to assist with bags ( business class) and seating arrangement. We were fortunate that a fellow traveler took our bags and put them in the conference room - the overhead storage space being too small for them. No sign of or help from railway staff. The saving grace of the trip was seeing the attractive countryside. Value for money Convenience
- "Hassle free trip" . 31/10/2016
The trip from Bologna to Rome was very comfortable, travelling by train was hassle free and efficient. Service was good.
- "Seamless travel" . 29/10/2016
Easy and cost effective way to travel around Italy.
- "Paris to Nice" Letetia s. 27/10/2016
Can't recommend 1st class enough, great value. Value for money Convenience
- "Excellent" . 27/10/2016
Our Eurostar train journey is very very good: comfortable, value for money and convenient.
- "Delight to travel by train" Anita t. 23/10/2016
This was just one leg of an extended journey through Italy, Switzerland and France, all by train. We find this the most relaxing way to travel, and the trains are always on-time, clean, and reliable Value for money Convenience
- "Fast and fun" . 23/10/2016
We used italrail for all our journeys in Italy, September and October 2016 and it was great fun. The only problem is I booked the tickets 6 months in advance online and was not allowed to select my seats. Therefore we ended up with aisle seats every trip which really annoyed me. Seemed very unfair.
- "Rome to Florence" Mark d. 23/10/2016
The train journey itself was wonderful. Quick. Comfortable. The only issue we had was working out which platform the train was leaving from in Rome. The phone application saved us by providing a train number (be it that the app said that the train had already left 30 minutes before it was due to leave?). Value for money Convenience
- "RAIL TRAVEL IN ITALY" . 21/10/2016
I TRAVELED WITH MY FAMILY ON 11 OCT 16 FROM FLORENCE TO ROME. IT WAS EXCEPTIONAL EXPERIENCE, WITH EXCELLENT COMFORT AND GREAT VALUE FOR MONEY. I COULD BOOK THE TICKETS, IN ADVANCE, FOR THIS JOURNEY ON LINE WITH NO DIFFICULTY. I RECOMMEND ALL VISITING ITALY TO USE RAIL TRANSPORT WHILE TRAVELING INTER CITY. THE SEATS ARE EXTREMELY COMFORTABLE AND MUCH BETTER THAN THOSE PROVIDED IN AIR OR BUS TRAVEL
- "Venice via Milan to Camogli." Susan s. 21/10/2016
This was a very easy way to travel from Venice. Our end destination was Camogli via Milan. To book our travel all the way, four hours, the first leg was business class as first class was already fully booked.. There was no real class difference as we were both in the same carriage, just cost more, but we had luggage, so we wanted to have room with that and our seat allocation. For this time of year probably could have gone second class but I liked the fact we had a seat and didn't have to worry. It was easy to book online, no worries once on the train with print out. Value for money Convenience