Italian trains: Frecciarossa
- Venice - Milan: 02:23
- Book early, save up to 60%
- Book up to 120 days in advance
- High speed trains
Italian trains: Frecciarossa
Frecciarossa, high speed trains serving all main cities like Rome, Florence, Venice, Milan, and Naples.
Anyone travelling across Italy by train will soon become familiar with the Frecciarossa, which are high speed modern trains. Also known as the Red Arrow, the Frecciarrossa is operated by Trenitalia, the national railway company of Italy. The popular high speed trains whisk passengers at a speed of 225 mph from one end of the country to the other. They carry over a million passengers monthly just on the Turin and Salerno route! The most popular route is from Milan to Rome. Trenitalia also serves Sicily and Sardinia, so make sure you check the rail map before planning your route. Another beautiful journey is from the north of the country to the stunning Amalfi coast taking-in the beautiful Italian countryside along the way.
Popular journeys and travel durations
Main destinations served by the Frecciarossa trains include Rome, Naples, Milan and Florence.
|Rome||Reggio Emilia||02:54||AU$ 92|
|Rimini It||Milan||02:26||AU$ 78|
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- Italian trains: Frecciarossa tickets are open for booking 120 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Print @ home
Print your ticket anywhere and anytime before your travel. Skip shipping fees.
Seat reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Looking for a weekend on the Amalfi coast or shopping in Milan? Italy’s national rail network, Trenitalia offers train travellers the best way to get around the beautiful and diverse country.
As well as the mainland trains Trenitalia also operated the railways on the isles of Sicily and Sardinia and internationally it connects to Austria, France, Germany, Hungary and Switzerland.
Experience the service
Before you board
Railway stations served by the Frecciarossa are right in the centre of the cities, with good public transport connections, close to hotels and restaurants.There is no check-in although we do recommend you arrive at least 15 minutes before departure. A ticket inspector will check your ticket on the train.
OnboardFrecciarossa trains have both first class and second class. All trains offer a comfortable on-board experience from soundproof, air conditioned carriages to ergonomic chairs.
|First class||Second class||Second class|
|Carrier’s designationName of class of service as you might see on your ticket. small>||Business||Premium||Standard|
|Newspapers and magazines Grab your free international/local newspaper or magazine and enjoy the ride. small>|
|Comfortable seats Spacious seats with a headrest and generous legroom. small>|
|Reclining seats Cosy with more legroom, reclining seats are ideal to enjoy the trip. small>|
|Welcome drink Nothing more refreshing than being welcomed by a drink from the friendly staff. small>|
|Bar buffet car Access to the bar buffet car where snacks and beverages can be bought. small>|
|Trolley service Catering by the trolley service is offered directly at seat. small>|
|Air conditioned carriages Makes it bliss when travelling during the summer period. small>|
|WiFi Internet Enjoy the freedom to read your emails, surf and listen to online music thanks to the wireless internet on board. small>|
The high speed Trenitalia Frecce take passengers on an incredible journey across Italy onboard modern comfortable trains. Passengers can enjoy sound proof carriages, reclining chairs and a friendly professional service as well as refreshments and fantastic scenery.
Interactive Rail Map
- A. Like most high-speed train services, you’ll need to reserve a seat to travel on Frecciarossa trains. For holders of Eurail Global Pass, Eurail Select Pass (including Italy) / Eurail France-Italy pass / Eurail Greece-Italy / Eurail Italy Pass, just remember that you need to validate your pass before boarding a Frecciarossa train.
- A. Frecciarossa trains offer two classes of travel: first class and second class. First Class ticket holders will receive a welcome drink, a snack and a daily Italian newspaper. Either travel class you may choose, you will be able to surf the Net on Frecciarossa trains using a USB key or any other portable device equipped with a Wi-Fi antenna.
- A. On-board Frecciarossa trains, the official luggage allowance is two large bags or suitcases and one piece of hand luggage. It’s enough to enjoy a very long trip and explore the richness of Italy.
- A. Bookings for a Frecciarossa trains can be made up to 4 months before you depart.
- A. First class on the Italian day train offers large, comfortable reclining seats, and bar-buffet car offering a complete selection of food and beverages for purchase. (on major routes) Second class on the Italian day train offers generous legroom and bar-buffet car offering a complete selection of food and beverages for purchase. (on major routes)
- A. Frecciarossa trains run on the high-speed line connecting Turin to Salerno, Northern to Southern Italy and more particularly Milan, Bologna, Florence, Rome, and Naples. These trains connect Bologna to Florence in just 37 minutes and Rome to Milan in less than 3 hours. Travel time between Milan and Florence is just 1 hour and 45 minutes.
- A. Frecciarossa trains offer a full sit-down restaurant service, with a regularly changing menu of traditional Italian dishes. The restaurant is very modern and elegant. Alternatively, Frecciarossa trains also feature a coffee bar service offering fresh sandwiches, snacks, desserts and hot and cold beverages.
- A. There are no check-in or customs procedures before boarding a Frecciarossa train. Though, ticket control and passport checks will occur on board Frecciarossa train.
answered | Posted by Giuseppina R. | Comments 0 | Created: 06/05/2016
answered | Posted by Leanne M. | Comments 0 | Created: 20/03/2016
answered | Posted by Lisa S. | Comments 0 | Created: 02/03/2016
answered | Posted by Walter L. | Comments 0 | Created: 27/01/2016
Is there a route from venice (santa lucia) to grindelwald on 28-05-16 1st class cabin. how much is the (...)Hi I am looking to purchase one way ticket from Venice (santa lucia) to Grindelwald Swiss. Would like to leave after 2pm on (...)
answered | Posted by ANKIT K. | Comments 0 | Created: 20/01/2016
Reviews & ratings Italian trains: Frecciarossa
Overall rating (705)
Overall appreciationExcellent 36% Very good 36% Average 20% Poor 4% Terrible 4%
- "relaxed travel" John m. 24/09/2016
We railed from Rome to Florence and it was comfortable, relaxing and an easy way to get to our destination while watching the scenery. Value for money Convenience
- "Very comfortable travel" Vincent v. 23/09/2016
This is a great train. We had spacious and comfortable seats opposite each other and with a table in between. Got close to 300 kph at times so Rome to Milan is very quick and from city centre to city centre. No travel to and from airports on the outskirts and no trouble taking two large cases. Highly recommended although refreshment range could be better. Not a lot to improve. Value for money Convenience
- "Our Italian Adventure" Bernie s. 22/09/2016
We enjoyed this trip. The train was easy to board, the car was clearly marked. The train itself was clean, quiet and comfortable. The stations at both Florence and Rome were cool and spacious. I would recommend taking trains in Italy as the best way to get around the country Value for money Convenience
- "Mark McLachlan" Mark m. 21/09/2016
Staff at the ticket office Milan were extremely helpful Value for money Convenience
- "Fast travel" Ruth s. 20/09/2016
Excellent value for good quick comfortable journey. One luggage rack was damaged. Value for money Convenience
- "Italian train comfort" . 20/09/2016
The train trip was excellent. It's clean, comfortable and fast. The timing was good. Thoroughly enjoyed the trip experience.
- "Venice to Rome by Frecciarossa" Frank c. 20/09/2016
Best way to travel without the hassle of busy roads. Fast and efficient. Service on board was good and the journey was comfortable and the occasional service of onboard snack was great. Staff were friendly. Value for money Convenience
- "So impressed" Peggy g. 19/09/2016
Excellent journey, so comfortable and smooth. Value for money Convenience
- "Train travel in Italy" Pauline An o. 19/09/2016
This part of our trip, taking the train to Naples, was excellent. The train was on time, seating spacious and quiet, crew courteous. A very pleasant way to travel. Value for money Convenience
- "Firenze to Assisi" Francis b. 19/09/2016
The TrenItalia Regional Train is reliable, efficient and on-time. Value for money Convenience
- "Frecciarossa" . 17/09/2016
Travel from Turin to Milan was very quick but the Frecciarossa was the best train we have used so far - very quiet, very fast and on time!
- "Best way to travel" Amanda c. 16/09/2016
We love travelling around Europe by train. Comfortable, runs on time, get to see the country side. Highly recommend Rail Europe. Value for money Convenience
- "Train travel" Gary j. 16/09/2016
Great trip, comfortable Value for money Convenience
- "No probs Bob" Gary w. 16/09/2016
Excellent mode of travel,on time ,clean and plenty of room for luggage. Value for money Convenience
- "No Qualms!" Lucy r. 15/09/2016
Train on time, carriage was cool and quiet, no complaints at all! Value for money Convenience