Italian International Trains
- Zurich - Milan: 03:41
- Book up to 120 days in advance
- High Speed trains
5.5 milliontravellers in 2015
75+years of rail travel experience
Italian International Trains
Italian Int. trains. Ideal to travel between Italy and Zurich, Geneva, Basel, Budapest, Zagreb etc.
Travelling around Italy by train is a dream but you can also explore further afield with the Italian International Trains. The high-speed Cisalpino is one of the world’s most modern tilting trains. Imagine taking a ride through the snow-capped Dolomite Mountains or through the deep forests of Germany. The Italian International service can help you explore Italy’s riches and much further to Switzerland, Germany or Austria. Perhaps you want to start out in the fashion capital of Milan and end up in Geneva just less than four hours later.
Popular journeys and travel durations
Main destinations for the Italian International Trains include Munich, Innsbruck, Geneva, Lugano and Zurich.
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- Italian International Trains tickets are open for booking 120 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Receive your ticket directly to your address. Just take them with you and you are ready to travel. Shipping fees apply.
Seat reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Experience the service
All the main Italian city train stations have plenty of food outlets, shops and services such as luggage storage, foreign exchange and car rental.You don’t need to check in for these trains. All ticket checks will take place on board.
OnboardItalian International trains offer both first and second class. All trains are air-conditioned with a restaurant and bar car serving both hot meals and light refreshments.
|First class||Second class|
|Air conditioned carriages Makes it bliss when travelling during the summer period.|
|Restaurant car Drinks, snacks and delicious meals, to make the most of your trip.|
|Welcome drink Nothing more refreshing than being welcomed by a drink from the friendly staff.|
|Newspapers and magazines Grab your free international/local newspaper or magazine and enjoy the ride.|
|Meal and drink A delicious meal and drinks are served at seat on board. small>|
Interactive Rail Map
- A. If you are having trouble determining what is the best pass for you, click on the blue square button " Search passes ". You'll be helped, on line, to select the best pass for your trip.
- A. The best option for 3 passengers is a T3 if it is available. T3 compartments are not offered on all trains. If a T3 is not available then passengers will be advised to divide their party. You can also book a T4 or T6 based on availability and restrictions.
- A. With Lyria, you’ll be allowed two bags or suitcases plus your hand luggage. Keep in mind that there is no charge for oversize luggage on Lyria trains.
- A. If you board a direct overnight train that departs after 7:00pm, then you use only 1 day on your pass. However, when marking the day of use for that train, be sure to mark the next day's date. If your overnight train requires a train change before midnight, then you will use 2 travel days.
Q. Would I qualify for a railpass if I have a European passport, but am a permanent resident of another country?A. We are not able to sell rail passes or tickets to residents of Europe, the UK, Morocco, Turkey or any of the countries of the former Soviet Union. If you are a resident of these countries, we will not be able to sell you one of our passes. If you are a citizen of any of these countries, but are a resident of another country, we are able to sell the rail pass or tickets to you. Passes are based on residency not citizenship, and the country of your residence will be printed on the rail pass.
- A. You will be offered the Print @ home ticket delivery to travel on board Italo trains in Italy. Receive your ticket reference in your inbox, print it and you are ready to travel. The Print @ home is more convenient and has no shipping fees.
- A. A "point to point ticket" is a rail ticket valid on a specific route, between two city stations whereas a Eurail Select Pass offers unlimited travel in 3 to 5 adjoining countries on a total list of 24 countries. The Eurail Select Pass allows you to save money if travelling mainly by train from one country to another.
- A. Frecciarossa trains run on the high-speed line connecting Turin to Salerno, Northern to Southern Italy and more particularly Milan, Bologna, Florence, Rome, and Naples. These trains connect Bologna to Florence in just 37 minutes and Rome to Milan in less than 3 hours. Travel time between Milan and Florence is just 1 hour and 45 minutes.
- A. Train stations in Europe are very traveler friendly. Once arriving to the station there are large Departure and Arrival Boards located in the center of the most stations. Match the train number and departure time on your reservation / ticket to the train number listed on the departure board. Once you have found your train on the Departure Board, you will find a platform number where your train will be departing from. Upon arriving to your platform you will notice that each car (also known as a coach) number on the train is clearly indicated on the side of each coach. Check your reservation / ticket for your car/coach number. You notice the class of service will also be listed in addition to the car/coach number on the side of the train. Once onboard the train, you will find that similar to an airplane each seat is clearly labeled with a number. Match the seat number on your reservation / ticket number to seat number in the train car / coach. Train stations in Europe have international pictograms that are easy to understand and are used in international airports. These pictograms will assist you once you arrive to the station. If you still have difficulty in finding your train, the stations staff can always help point you in the right direction.
- A. This depends mainly on what Eurostar ticket you have. Business Premier passengers can check-in just 10 minutes before departure whereas Standard Premier and Standard passengers need to check-in 30 minutes before departure. To ensure you have time to go through the security checks and passport control, we would recommend you arriving at the station at least 45 minutes prior to your scheduled departure with Eurostar.
answered | Posted by Giuseppina R. | Comments 0 | Created: 06/05/2016
answered | Posted by Leanne M. | Comments 0 | Created: 20/03/2016
answered | Posted by Lisa S. | Comments 0 | Created: 02/03/2016
answered | Posted by Walter L. | Comments 0 | Created: 27/01/2016
Is there a route from venice (santa lucia) to grindelwald on 28-05-16 1st class cabin. how much is the (...)Hi I am looking to purchase one way ticket from Venice (santa lucia) to Grindelwald Swiss. Would like to leave after 2pm on (...)
answered | Posted by ANKIT K. | Comments 0 | Created: 20/01/2016
Reviews & ratings Italian International Trains
Overall rating (256)
Overall appreciationExcellent 30% Very good 37% Average 18% Poor 6% Terrible 8%
- "Comfortable trip" Margaret k. 14/01/2017
Comfortable trip but faced backwards. Would like to see option of purchasing front facing tickets as I get motion sick. Value for money Convenience
- "Great way to travel" . 12/01/2017
A very relaxing way to cross Europe, a slight hitch when the train was delayed by a person running on the tracks but otherwise all good.
- "excellent train" . 22/08/2016
The train ride was exceptional. Comfort, nice staff, very clean and quiet train.
- "A great way to enter Venice..." Phoebe Helen w. 23/06/2016
The trip was great and we had good seats, single seats opposite each other with the window. I do wish, though, that when I booked the tickets I had been asked if I wanted to go to Venice Mestre or Santa Lucia. Luckily, we were able to travel through to Santa Lucia on the same train with no extra payment. Value for money Convenience
- "Across Europe" Adrian h. 22/06/2016
Smooth and comfortable. Train ran exactly to time. Value for money Convenience
- "scenery plus" Dean p. 14/06/2016
We took the direct mid morning train from Munich to Venice. The scenery was unbelievable, we also enjoyed a meal and a few beers in the very good buffet car. The service was exceptional and the journey altogether was simply fascinating. Would highly recommend Euro rail, cheers from down under. Value for money Convenience
- "Beautiful Scenery" Mary b. 12/06/2016
Highly recommend this trip with great views of clinging clouds on sharp peaks and beautiful trip around a lake Value for money Convenience
- "Lindsay Lake" Lindsay l. 09/06/2016
The train arrived at Verona 5 minutes late. I was so panicked to miss another train from Verona to Munich but it was stranded for another 15 minutes. Oh! my god that I was very lucky. Only 4 minutes transfer to another train departs for Munich it should be 15 minutes for transfer time. Value for money Convenience
- "Comfy" Timothy b. 06/06/2016
1st Class differs in Italy but you are offered refreshments as you travel. Same as in Switzerland but no complimentary refreshments but much more room and less crowded than 2nd class. Value for money Convenience
- "Salzburg to Innsbruck" Timothy f. 26/05/2016
Our trip on this train to Innsbruck was part of a longer journey. Our seats had been used by previous passengers and was left with food on the seats, tray table and floor, magazines were left and it was generally uncomfortable. Convenience
- "Good trip" Dale s. 15/05/2016
Our trip from Venice to Innsbruck was good. The convenience of doing this trip by train was good. It was excellent that we could book, pay and receive our tickets at home before setting off on our travels.Only problem, a minor one, why book six people with bags into one first class cabin when half the train was empty. Value for money Convenience
- "So very pleased" Jerry f. 14/05/2016
The Italian rail, especially Freccarosa, was our favourite from all the rail trips we did in Europe. Top class Value for money Convenience
- "Freccia still performing well" John p. 25/04/2016
This was unfortunately, only the first short stage of the trip. The Freccia is fast and comfortable. Value for money Convenience
- "Excellent scencery" . 21/03/2016
Despite the poor service from rail Europe this was an amazing scenic trip
- "Train from Milan to Geneva" Jerome Paul c. 18/01/2016
We found the Milan central station easily accessible, easy to navigate around and comfortable to wait at. I would recommend this trip for those wanting a relaxed connection to Geneva. Value for money Convenience