Italian trains: Frecciargento
- Book up to 120 days in advance
- High speed trains
Italian trains: Frecciargento
Frecciargento, high speed trains serving all main cities like Rome, Venice, Reggio Calabria and more.
Along with Frecciarossa and Frecciabianca, Frecciargento are long distance high speed trains connecting all major Italian cities. Frecciargento trains run on both traditional and high speed. The Italian trains, operated by Trenitalia, serve Rome and the major cities located in the north east and the south of Italy. Frecciargento trains travel at a speed of up to 250km/h.
Popular journeys and travel durations
|Main routes||Travel time|
|Rome||Villa S Giovanni||04:55||AU$ 126|
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- Italian trains: Frecciargento tickets are open for booking 120 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Print @ home
Print your ticket anywhere and anytime before your travel. Skip shipping fees.
Seat reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Experience the service
Before you board
Main railway stations like Venezia Mestre and Roma Termini, to name but a few, are served by the Frecciabianca trains.
|First class||Second class|
|Bar buffet car Access to the bar buffet car where snacks and beverages can be bought. small>|
|Comfortable seats Spacious seats with a headrest and generous legroom. small>|
|Reclining seats Cosy with more legroom, reclining seats are ideal to enjoy the trip. small>|
|Power sockets Ideal to plug your laptop, phone or any electronic device from your seat. small>|
Interactive Rail Map
- A. If you board a direct overnight train that departs after 7:00pm, then you use only 1 day on your pass. However, when marking the day of use for that train, be sure to mark the next day's date. If your overnight train requires a train change before midnight, then you will use 2 travel days.
- A. Your payment details will be encoded and sent using a secure connection. You can check the security details by clicking with your right mouse button on the payment page and then selecting ‘Properties’. A window will pop up containing all connection data. The ‘Connection’ field shows that an SSL connection is used. Your credit card information, including the number and expiration date, will not be stored.
- A. Finding Train Tickets and Schedules can be accomplished with just a few simple steps. First click on the "Train Tickets" section, located on the top of any page. There you will find a form asking for your departure city and arrival city and the date that you would like to travel. You will also be asked the approximate time that you want to travel (morning, afternoon or evening). If you would like to book a round trip ticket, just click on the "Round Trip" option and provide the information for your return trip on the same page. Once all of your information has been entered and you have clicked "Search" you will be presented with a number of results to choose from. First, you will want to look through the times offered to see what the best schedule for your travel. Once you have chosen a schedule, you should begin to look at the prices that are offered. Fares are typically broken down into categories, Business, Flexi First, Best Price First, Flexi Second, Best Price Second and Super Saver. Best Price First and Best Price Second are classes tickets being more restrictive in terms of flexibility. Flexi First, Flexi second and Business are classes offering more flexibility. Although these classifications do apply to several different train types, it is always recommended that you click on the "Details" link under each fare type to show the specific refund and exchange rules for that price. Once you have decided on the train and fare that you would like to purchase, click on the "select" link, which will take you to the passenger selection page. Once you have input your passenger information you can choose to continue shopping or proceed to the checkout process.
- A. No, there are no student discounts. Discounts are offered to youth travelers instead. A youth traveler is any traveler who is 25 years of age or younger.
- A. A Swiss pass is valid on trains operated by SBB (Schweizerische BundesBahn), the national railway company of Switzerland. For domestic trains in Switzerland operated, seat reservations are not required. Exceptions are the special scenic trains such as Bernina Express, Glacier Express, Golden Pass and Wilhelm Tell Express. For these trains, a supplement and/or seat reservation is required for Swiss Pass holders. There are also some international trains from Switzerland that require a reservation fee. Examples are the ICE International to Germany, the TGV Lyria to France and the Railjet to Budapest.
- A. In Comfort1 (First class), drinks and meal are included in the price of your Thalys ticket and served at your seat. Meal includes a choice of drinks, cold starter and main course, but also bread and dessert. In Thalys Comfort 2 (second class), you will get access to a bar-buffet car which offers a variety of food and refreshments.
- A. The standard of amount of luggage is 2 large items per person. Trains have either overhead storage racks throughout the car, storage room behind the back of your seat or luggage areas at the end of the car. There is no porter service available and all passengers are responsible for putting their own luggage on the train. Note: Luggage kept by the passenger and placed in the luggage racks remains under the sole responsibility of the traveler. The railroads assume no responsibility in case of loss, damage, or theft.
- A. Rail passes for children are generally half the adult fare. Some passes do not offer a child pass. Child tickets are offered on most trains and vary by train type. They are generally about half of an adult ticket. The Swiss Pass allows children under 16 to travel free when they are traveling with a parent who is holding a Swiss Pass. On BritRail passes, children 5 through 15 are free with each paying adult.
- A. Yes, non-smoking cars are available on all trains. Most high- speed trains are now completely non-smoking and all reservations are requested in non-smoking coaches when both options are available. There is no smoking on all trains in France, Italy, Norway, Germany, Austria, Sweden, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxemburg, and Switzerland.
- A. You will be able to book your TGV tickets 90 days in advance.
answered | Posted by rodney b. | Comments 0 | Created: 18/10/2016
answered | Posted by Shelley W. | Comments 0 | Created: 18/09/2016
answered | Posted by Faye O. | Comments 0 | Created: 15/07/2016
answered | Posted by Sonja M. | Comments 0 | Created: 11/07/2016
answered | Posted by Kelli L. | Comments 0 | Created: 17/05/2016
Reviews & ratings Italian trains: Frecciargento
Overall appreciationExcellent % Very good % Average % Poor % Terrible %
- "Easy travel" James m. 18/10/2016
Our family of 5 travelled from Roma to Firenze. We had booked seats and it was convenient to travel without needing to print tickets. Train was punctual, clean and comfortable. Would use this service again. Value for money Convenience
- "Terrible Journey" . 17/10/2016
This trip was terrible, probably the worst we've experienced including Indian 4th Class. The train arrived at Firenze 30 minutes late. At Rome Termini there was a delay of around 25 minutes, then a message (in Italian only) that the last leg to Fiumicino was 'cancelled'. No help or advice was given to the passengers going to the airport. Many of us were able to cram on to a later train to the airport, and the situation on this overcrowded train was chaotic with people and luggage jammed into every centimetre of space. This train also stalled for around half and hour, and many passengers missed their flights. A terrible experience!
- "Venice - Rome" Peter b. 15/10/2016
A very comfortable, convenient trip. Train was on time. However waiting for the train meant a lot of standing around….there should be a designated seating/waiting area for train travellers. Value for money Convenience
- "Euro rail" Debra b. 09/10/2016
pleasantly surprised with the train travel. Very comfortable and clean train. Value for money Convenience
- "Efficient Travel" Vanessa s. 08/10/2016
Very good way to travel in Italy. Reliable and on time. Enjoyed complimentary snack. Dreaded to use the toilet, needs to be cleaned more regularly. Would have liked the option to choose seats. Found booking online a little frustrating, couldn't choose seats to be with friends. Value for money Convenience
- "Ease and speed" Jan b. 08/10/2016
Having handed back the car it was a relaxing way to travel to Roma. Whilst the train was full in our coach, we managed to find space for our luggage. The train departed and arrived on time and was most efficient. I would recommend this mode of transport. Value for money Convenience
- "EAVE THE LUGAGE AT HOME" Jeffery r. 05/10/2016
THE TRAIN IS FINE BUT LACKS SPACE FOR LUGAGE. Value for money Convenience
- "Good Decision " . 05/10/2016
- "Comfortable and affordable" Nicole a. 04/10/2016
The train ride was comfortable and was reasonably priced. We were in first class so also had some snacks provided. There was plenty of room and the train was on time. It was a fun experience. Value for money Convenience
- "A great way to travel" Peter l. 27/09/2016
The train service is very good. However the train had about 12 carriages and there was no early signage on the platform to indicate where each carriage would stop. We and many other people had to walk and run with luggage to get to the correct carriage. This is not good enough. Value for money Convenience
- "Frecciargento" . 27/09/2016
Due to a death in my family I was unable to make my journey. I attempted to cancel the booking using my mobile phone internet but was unable to access the website properly to do so. I cannot comment on the journey but was not happy with the access to communication with the company.
- "Easy Travel" . 24/09/2016
Our train departed exactly on time, and we enjoyed a comfortable, relaxing journey.
- "Rome - Venice by Frecciargento" Frank c. 20/09/2016
Best way to travel without the hassle of busy roads. Fast and efficient. Service on board was good and the journey was comfortable. Staff were friendly. Value for money Convenience
- "Train Trip Firenze to Padova" Frank c. 18/09/2016
Excellent way to travel and see the Italian landscape. Loved the comfort and the service of drinks and snack provided. Train was on time and arrived on time. Recommend to anyone who is thinking of travelling by train. Value for money Convenience
- "Great Service" Lucy r. 15/09/2016
Train on time, carriage was cool and quiet! Value for money Convenience