Italian trains: Intercity
- Book up to 90 days in advance
- Regional trains
Italian trains: Intercity
Italian Intercity trains
Operated by Trenitalia, Italy’s national railway company, Intercity trains are ideal to travel between major cities and towns. Slower than high speed trains, Intercity are ideal to discover Italy at a less frenetic pace. Intercity trains in Italy are equipped with first and second class carriages. Intercity trains operating at night are called Intercity Notte.
Popular journeys and travel durations
|Main routes||Travel time|
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- Italian trains: Intercity tickets are open for booking 90 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Print @ home
Print your ticket anywhere and anytime before your travel. Skip shipping fees.
Seat reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Experience the service
Before you board
Intercity trains call at Stazione Ferroviaria Pisa Centrale, when stopping in Pisa.
|First class||Second class|
|Comfortable seats Spacious seats with a headrest and generous legroom. small>|
|Bar buffet car Access to the bar buffet car where snacks and beverages can be bought. small>|
|Reclining seats Cosy with more legroom, reclining seats are ideal to enjoy the trip. small>|
Interactive Rail Map
- A. The Eurail Italy Pass is the best choice if you want to spend your time exploring Italy. Eurail Italy pass is valid for one month, and the number of travel days available varies from 3 to 10 days.
- A. First class on the TGV East offers ergonomic reclining seats with head and foot rests, non-smoking coaches, individual power outlets, reading light, ability to book a taxi for your arrival with staff on the train and a restaurant car offering a selection of food and beverages for purchase. Second class on the TGV East offers ergonomic reclining seats with head and foot rests, non-smoking coaches and a restaurant car offering a selection of food and beverages for purchase.
- A. The Swiss Family Card is a terrific value that allows children under 16 years of age to travel free when accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. The card is free, simply request one at the time you purchase your Swiss Pass. If you forget to mention it, then present your Swiss pass before boarding the train at any Swiss train station ticket window, at the time of validation and advise them that you need a Family Card. They will be able to provide you one.
- A. The Swiss Travel Pass must be used within 6 months of the date of purchase.It is a pre-validated pass, i.e. at the time of booking, you will be asked to indicate your first travel date.
- A. All 1 st class passes are valid for travel in all sleeper accommodations. If you have a 2 nd class pass, you are able to travel in T3 compartments and couchettes. Some T4 compartments are offered in 1 st and 2 nd class. Please be sure to check the details of the fare for the train you wish to travel on to determine what class the T4 is offered in.
- A. Paper tickets will be sent to you by postal mail prior to departure.
Q. Is it possible to purchase a 2nd Class Eurail Select Pass instead of a 1st Class Eurail Select Pass?A. Eurail Select Pass is only available in 1st Class for adults and children. Eurail Select Youth Pass is offered in 2nd class to travelers under age 26.
- A. A passenger qualifies for Senior Fares at age 60 and over.
- A. There is no check in or customs procedures for Italo trains. However ticket control or ID checks can occur randomly on board. Make sure to have your travel documents with you at all times.
- A. Travel from London - Paris/Brussels and most of the train stations in between these 2 routes. For more detailed information on how to use a Eurostar self service kiosk review: How do I retrieve my e-tickets at Eurostar train stations ?
answered | Posted by Cassandra G. | Comments 0 | Created: 11/07/2015
answered | Posted by Julie H. | Comments 0 | Created: 29/06/2015
answered | Posted by Margaret D. | Comments 2 | Created: 25/02/2015
answered | Posted by Alan S. | Comments 2 | Created: 22/02/2015
answered | Posted by Paul T. | Comments 0 | Created: 01/02/2015
Reviews & ratings Italian trains: Intercity
Overall appreciationExcellent % Very good % Average % Poor % Terrible %
- "Perugia to Rome " Vincent d. 15/06/2016
No train between 11.00hrs and 18.00hrs on a Sunday is a very long gap. Trip itself was excellent Value for money Convenience
- "European Grains" Carolyn c. 22/11/2015
Train was very smooth, clean and comfortable. It is a shame that the design for getting onto the train is bad, high steps (too bad if you have any incapacity or are short) and certainly not good for trying to get luggage on board. Suggestion - add a luggage booking service
- "Good train - on time" Vicki h. 14/11/2015
Train was on time and very good. Tricky with heavy luggage but OK Value for money Convenience
- "Welcome to Italy!" Candy a. 30/09/2015
Great introduction to our stay in Bologna! All good in terms of comfort, service Value for money Convenience
- "Venice to Perugia via Florence" Dianne g. 03/08/2015
This was a fast train and advice Value for money Convenience
- "Firenze to Pisa" Leanne s. 20/07/2015
Although no allocated seats, a very comfortable journey. Value for money Convenience
- "Excellent" Kaye o. 21/06/2015
A pleasure to travel on this train. Value for money Convenience
- "Torino to Foggia" Nigel d. 02/06/2015
This was an overnight train journey. We had a sleeper / bunk compartment as we traveled first class. The sleeper cabin is rather small and cramped, but the bed was very comfortable and we had a good sleep on the train. The amenities provided were good. However, the toilets in the compartment were not working and were closed; so we had to go across to the next compartment at night to use the toilets there. It was good value for money and other than that we arrived at Foggia at 0530am and had to get up early, the journey was good. Value for money Convenience
- "Great train journey" Peter s. 15/05/2015
Excellent train that avoided several train changes for a journey between Bordeaux and Toulouse. Value for money Convenience
- "Frecciabianca very average" Rhona c. 11/05/2015
The Frecciabianca is a bit of a come down after the rossa trains but it is still a very convenient way to get around. So long as you do not pay too much for the ticket it is fine. Value for money Convenience
- "No Hassle Travel" Ian g. 07/05/2015
This was the third leg of our trip (the first was by local train) from Cinque Terre to Florence. The train travel allowed us to get quickly and efficiently from where we were staying (with very limited car access) to the centre of Florence where we rented a car for Tuscany trips, with only about 700 metres of walking in total. We coule relax and enjoy, without worrying about getting lost! Travel light as luggage space is limited and we ( 4 adults)needed to use up extra seats for luggage. Value for money Convenience
- "See the countryside" Ian g. 05/05/2015
This trip was the third leg of ourtrip from Nice to Cinque Terre. Train was comfortable and reserved seats reduced any worry. However, limited luggage storage and joining the train part way along its journey meant that luggage had to palced in the corridor and needed to be watched at each of the few stops. Only concern was the lack of approaching station announcements, but we managed quite well.
- "smooth ride" Siong Kai n. 05/05/2015
no dramas Value for money Convenience
- "go intercity services" Susan k. 30/04/2015
Very easy , cheap and informative to get around, Wished Australia had a service like your country I would use it all the time and not my car Value for money Convenience
- "airport service" Lisa r. 27/04/2015
good service. a bit expensive though Value for money Convenience