Why choose us?
900,000 travellers in 2012
N° 1 distributor of train tickets.
Helpful travel experts
Our dedicated staff at your service.
All of Europe, one place to buy your tickets!
Rail Europe Travel+
Free coupons, train travel guide and more.
Member of Trusted Commerce program.
Need assistance planning ?
Italian trains: Italo
Review and ratings (167)
Experience comfort and style, upgrade to 1st class!
Find a point to point ticket
Italian trains: Italo network
Italo is the high speed train operated by a second railway company in Italy, NTV (Nuovo Trasporto Viaggiatori). Italo is a beautiful and modern red train, travelling at up to 360km/h. It connects major Italian cities taking just 1h 08 to reach Roma from Napoli or 1h 27 to reach Firenze from Roma whereas the travel duration between Roma and Milan is 2h 45.
Italo’s design, comfort, onboard services awaken the pleasure of train travel. Wi-Fi Internet everywhere on board and small cozy business class lounges, refined cuisine… such are the treats which await you on board the Italo.
Italo is one of the most modern trains in the world. Compared to a classic high speed train, it consumes 30% less energy, thus promoting actions which will improve eco-sustainability.
Popular journeys and travel durations
|Napoli – Roma||1 h 08|
|Roma – Firenze||1 h 27|
|Milan – Firenze||1 h 56|
|Roma – Bologna||2 h 12|
|Firenze – Napoli||2 h 42|
|Roma – Milan||2 h 45|
|Milan – Napoli||4 h 46|Venice Rome 03:23 $58 Rome Milan 02:40 $121 Rome Florence 01:22 $28 Venice Florence 01:53 $65 Milan Florence 01:36 $72 Naples Rome 01:08 $59 Naples Florence 02:32 $96 Bologna Rome 02:06 $81 Bologna Venice 01:13 $44 Bologna Milan 00:56 $59 Milan Turin 00:44 $21 Bologna Florence 00:37 $36 Florence Turin 02:45 $43 Padua Rome 03:07 $106 Venice Padua 00:14 $25
- Children under 3 can travel for free provided they do not require an additional seat.
- If you have an Italo ticket from/to Firenze, you can benefit from free travel on the Ataf network (buses, tramvia 1) 24 hours before or after your travel date.
- When travelling by train in Italy, you will be offered the Ticketless purchasing solution which is more convenient and which has no shipping fees.
- If you have purchased a pass which includes Italy, please note that you will not be offered a Passholder fare, as they are not available for Italo trains.
Booking & Ticket deliveryBooking :
- Italian trains: Italo tickets are open for booking 90 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Ticket delivery option(s) :
|Ticketless||Note down the Ticketless reference and give it to the train staff when requested. Skip shipping fees.||Printing guide|
Seat reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Experience the service
Before you board
The high speed Italo trains will stop at Roma Tiburtina and Roma Ostiense when in Roma, and Milano Porta Garibaldi and Milano Rogoredo when in Milan.
The Milano Porta Garibaldi railway station is located in the new fashion district, about 1.5 km away from Milano Centrale station. Milano Porta Garibaldi railway station offers good connection with TGV France-Italy trains.
The Milano Rogoredo railway station has a connection with Rogoredo metro station. It is located about 10km away from the Linate airport. The ATM Bus lines 73 and X73 offers a connection from Milano Linate airport to Milan city centre.
The Roma Ostiense railway station is the gateway to Roma Fiumicino Airport and is convenient for business travellers.
The Roma Tiburtina railway station is 4 km away from Roma Termini station. The metro offers an easy connection between the two stations. Roma Tiburtina railway station is a brand new station for high speed trains only. It is connected to the Tiburtina metro station.There is no check in or customs procedures for Italo trains. However ticket control or ID checks can occur randomly on board. Make sure to have your travel documents with you at all times.
For any assistance, queries or requests, please refer to the Casa Italo counters if you have chosen to travel on board Italo trains.
Onboard* Club class will be offered as from 2013
|First class||First class||Second class|
|Carrier’s designationName of class of service as you might see on your ticket. small>||Club||Prima||Smart|
|Business lounge at station Get the ultimate treat before any trip, or simply an ideal place to continue working. small>||√|
|Video screens Ideal for entertainment, some coaches are equipped with screens. small>||√|
|Welcome drink Nothing more refreshing than being welcomed by a drink from the friendly staff. small>||√||√|
|Reclining seats Cosy with more legroom, reclining seats are ideal to enjoy the trip. small>||√||√|
|Comfortable seats Spacious leather seats with a headrest and generous legroom. small>||√||√||√|
|Snacks and beverages Whenever you feel peckish, you can buy something on board to eat or drink. small>||√||√||√|
|Meal and drink A delicious meal and drinks are served at seat on board. The service is offered at an additional cost. small>||√||√||√|
|Power sockets Ideal to plug your laptop, phone or any electronic device from your seat. small>||√||√||√|
|Service crew For any question or help, a hostess/steward is present on board. small>||√||√||√|
|WiFi Internet Enjoy the freedom to read your emails, surf and listen to online music thanks to the wireless internet on board. small>||√||√||√|
- Each carriage of Italo trains is equipped with CCTV, thus allowing an increased security for the passengers.
- If you want to have a snack or a drink, there are 2 Area Break with self-service vending machines in coach n°3 and n°7 on board the Italo trains. Passengers travelling in Prima or Club can benefit from an at-seat catering service on board the Italo trains.
Interactive travel map
Review and ratings
Overall rating (167)
Overall appreciationExcellent 60% Very good 28% Average 8% Poor 1% Terrible 4%
"Italy by rail " David d.
Great way to travel in Italy - the journey seemed to take no time at all, and ticketless travelling is so much easier than I expected Value for money Convenience
"Excellent and Comfortable"Shew Lun w. 08/05/2013
Definitely a great way to travel within Italy. It is only 100x better than flying!! Value for money Convenience
"warning sign is needed"Hui-cheng c. 07/05/2013
For a beginner to book the ticket, if there is one more train station in the city, it needs to be addressed in case passengers did not aware of the difference. We took a little trip to Termiini a day before the trip and found out our departure station is at Tiburtina instead of Termini. A warning sign thus is needed to indicate the right station. Value for money Convenience
"Bologna to Florence"David w. 06/05/2013
The whole process from booking on-line to getting from Bologna to Florence in comfort and at high speed was a pleasure. It allowed for maximum time in our chosen holiday destinations. Value for money Convenience
"Italo"Zeenat h. 04/05/2013
Very well organised and efficiently executed operation making train travel enjoyable. The cost would seem high but then service and quality does come at a cost. Value for money Convenience
"Terrible"Abel Kwong Kee l. 02/05/2013
We are from HK and not familiar with the location of Train station. We missed the train because we do not know Venezia has 2 stations. If possible, I think the confirmation can attach a map would solve it. At last, we need to buy 1st class ticket from other company to complete our trip. Value for money Convenience
"Italy by Train"Anne m. 22/03/2013
We did several trips by train around Italy - Rome to Venice, Venice to Florence, Florence to Naples, Naples to Rome. We thoroughly enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere. The seats were very comfortable and the free wi-fi was a bonus. I would certainly recommend this form of transport to anybody who wants a hassle free relaxed holiday. It is city centre to city centre and much more user friendly than flying. Convenience
"Follow up was good...but...."Wai l. 17/01/2013
Following up of my query was good however the issuance of the tickets was way too slow (several days longer than the 24-48hr turnaround time as advised). In any case there should be a phone number which customer can call to speak to an operator to speed up the process.. Comfort Value for money Convenience
"Great trip only one problem "Yair m. 06/01/2013
The wifi is available only for locals or people with sim in their phone... Which isn't great for travelers from abroad since you can't get the SMS to access the wifi Comfort Value for money Convenience
"Trip cut short by 5 hours!"Shanna l. 02/11/2012
(1) Florence to Milan: Technical problem to Italo train costs us 5 hours of trip to Milan (2) Toilet facility clean (3) Seat arrangement ok except for the one where the seats face each other – affect legroom (4) Train stations in Milan and Florence: lack of (or absence) of lifts/escalators for heavy baggage