Italian trains: Italo
Save AU$ 45 with code EUROPE1734 - book 3 months in advance
Save AU$ 30 with code EUROPE1718 - book 2 months in advance
Save AU$ 15 with code EUROPE1702 - book 1 month in advance
- Florence - Rome: 01:32
- Book early, save up to 80%
- Book up to 120 days in advance
- High Speed trains
5.5 milliontravellers in 2015
75+years of rail travel experience
Italian trains: Italo
Italo, high speed trains serving main cities like Venice, Rome, Milan, Florence etc with best comfort.
Italo is a modern high speed train which serves major towns and cities across Italy. The stylish red trains travel at speeds of up to 360km/h but consume 30 per cent less energy than other high speed trains, making them the eco-friendly option. Italo is operated by the Italian network NTV (Nuovo Trasporto Viaggiatori). All classes are comfortable and have CCTV for increased security, wifi internet access, a business lounge and delicious food. Passengers travelling in Prima or Club will be served meals in their seat while other passengers will find self-service vending machines in coaches 3 and 7.
Popular journeys and travel durations
|Naples – Rome||1 h 08|
|Rome – Florence||1 h 27|
|Milan – Florence||1 h 56|
|Rome – Bologna||2 h 12|
|Florence – Naples||2 h 42|
|Rome – Milan||2 h 45|
|Milan – Naples||4 h 46|
- If you are travelling with a child under 2 years old you won’t have to pay for a ticket for them as long as they don’t require an extra seat.
- Children (2-15 years) and Senior (over 60 years) are eligible for a discounted fare. Conditions apply.
- If you have an Italo ticket from/to Florence, you can enjoy free travel on the buses and trams on the Ataf network in the 24 hours before or after your travel date.
- If you have an Italy pass or another pass which includes Italy please note you won’t be offered a discount on your ticket and will have to pay the normal fare for a journey with Italo trains.
- If the number of infants exceeds the number of adults, any additional infant will be charged at a child’s rate.
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- Italian trains: Italo tickets are open for booking 120 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Print @ home
Print your ticket anywhere and anytime before your travel. Skip shipping fees.
Seat reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
Italo high speed trains are synonymous of modernity, comfort and safety. Italo trains serve most major cities in Italy, allowing travellers to discover the best sights of Italy.
Italo high speed trains are operated by NTV, a group renowned for their high level of experience and professionalism. The bright red Italo trains are easily recognisable thanks to their modern allure.
Experience the service
Italo trains stop at stations all over the country but the main stations are in Rome and Milan.
In Rome there are three stations served by the high speed trains. Roma Tiburtina, Roma Termini and Roma Ostiense. Roma Tiburtina is a new station dedicated to high speed trains and is 4 km away from Roma Termini station, although you can get the metro between the two stations. Roma Ostiense station is the gateway to the airport making it the best option for business travellers.
In Milan the two stations are Milano Centrale and Milano Rogoredo. Milano Centrale is the main railway station in Milan. Milano Rogoredo railway station has a metro station and is about 10km away from the Linate airport.
Other stations served by the Italo trains are Torino Porta Nuova and Verona Porta Nuova.You do not need to check in or go through customs for Italo trains. Just make sure you have your ticket and ID to hand on board to show the inspector.
OnboardItalo trains have three classes of service. There’s Smart (second class), Prima (first class) and the new Club class (first class).
|First class||First class||Second class|
|Carrier’s designationName of class of service as you might see on your ticket. small>||Club||Prima||Smart|
|Business lounge at station Get the ultimate treat before any trip, or simply an ideal place to continue working. small>|
|Video screens Ideal for entertainment, some coaches are equipped with screens. small>|
|Welcome drink Nothing more refreshing than being welcomed by a drink from the friendly staff. small>|
|Reclining seats Cosy with more legroom, reclining seats are ideal to enjoy the trip. small>|
|Comfortable seats Spacious leather seats with a headrest and generous legroom. small>|
|Snacks and beverages Whenever you feel peckish, you can buy something on board to eat or drink. small>|
|Power sockets Ideal to plug your laptop, phone or any electronic device from your seat. small>|
|Service crew For any question or help, a hostess/steward is present on board. small>|
|WiFi Internet Enjoy the freedom to read your emails, surf and listen to online music thanks to the wireless internet on board. small>|
- Each carriage of Italo trains is equipped with CCTV, thus allowing an increased security for the passengers.
- If you want to have a snack or a drink, there are 2 Area Break with self-service vending machines in coach n°3 and n°7 on board the Italo trains.
Interactive Rail Map
- A. Italo trains offer high speed train services connecting the major cities of Italy such as Milano, Bologna, Firenze, Roma, Napoli, Salerno, Venezia, Torino and Padova. There are several daily connections between the main cities which are served by Italo. There are several daily connections between Milan and Roma and the number of connections will increase in the following years.
- A. You can book early a ticket for Italo up to 70 days in advance. The earlier you book, the more likely you will get the lowest price. Italo tickets are can be book up to 3 days before your travel date.
- A. You will be offered the Print @ home ticket delivery to travel on board Italo trains in Italy. Receive your ticket reference in your inbox, print it and you are ready to travel. The Print @ home is more convenient and has no shipping fees.
- A. Yes, there is a catering service on board Italo trains. While there are 2 Area break with self-service vending machines, there are no bar/restaurant coaches. From the vending machines which are in coach 3 and 7, you can but hot and cold drinks as well as snacks. Passengers in Club and Prima class will be offered a catering service at an extra cost, which you must pay once on board. You can order the Italo breakfast, if you are travelling in the early morning between Milan and Rome.
- A. Yes. Passengers can use baggage lockers which are found between the coaches. However they have to make a 1 euro deposit. There are also luggage areas at the end of the carriage which can be used without any supplement.
- A. There is no Senior fare available for Italo trains. However children aged from 4 to 14 have a 25% discount on the full adult fare. As for children under 3 years old, they can travel for free if they do not require any seat.
- A. There is no check in or customs procedures for Italo trains. However ticket control or ID checks can occur randomly on board. Make sure to have your travel documents with you at all times.
- A. Reservation is compulsory on Italo. When you buy a ticket for Italo, the reservation is included. Please note that if have even if you have a Rail Pass which includes Italy, you need a separate ticket to travel on board the Italo. Passholder fares do not apply to Italo.
- A. Italo offers different classes of service. Rail Europe offers 3 classes of service for Italo: the Smart class, the Club class and the Prima class. The Smart class is the equivalent of second class, where passengers have the following services: 2 dedicated stewards/hostesses and comfortable seats. The Prima class is the equivalent of first class, where passengers have the following services: A dedicated steward/hostess, welcome drink and snacks, daily newspapers, complimentary expresso and large reclining seats. A supplement is needed for catering service in Prima class. The Club class has the same services as the Prima class plus video screens and access to business lounge.
Hi there hoping some one can help us with what ticket we should purchase for the following itinerary, 4 (...)05-16 Amsterdam to Lille ( driving between Lille and Amiens ) 05-19 Amiens to Paris 05-22 Paris to Lucerne 24-05 Lucerne (...)
answered | Posted by Tim W. | Comments 0 | Created: 31/12/2015
answered | Posted by Robert H. | Comments 2 | Created: 26/10/2015
answered | Posted by Julia M. | Comments 0 | Created: 20/10/2015
answered | Posted by Shara T. | Comments 0 | Created: 13/10/2015
answered | Posted by Sam D. | Comments 0 | Created: 13/10/2015
Reviews & ratings Italian trains: Italo
Overall rating (58)
Overall appreciationExcellent 60% Very good 28% Average 8% Poor 1% Terrible 4%
- "Long day facing backwards" Margaret k. 14/01/2017
Comfortable trip but faced backwards. Would like to see option of purchasing front facing tickets as I get motion sick. This would be a good option especially as the ticket was first class. Value for money Convenience
- "The way to travel!" Samantha s. 14/01/2017
Our family travelled from Roma > Napoli which we found to be a enjoyable and convenient experience. We started from La Storta and made our way to Roma Termini with absolute ease, had coffee Value for money Convenience
- "Fab way to get around Italy!" Melissa c. 22/12/2016
Convenient, comfortable, easy, on time, lovely staff. Fantastic way to get around Italy. Value for money Convenience
- "Only way to travel Europe " Alan George h. 03/12/2016
The trip is highly recommended: punctual, efficient, reliable and courteous staff all make for a very pelasant journey. Well done. Value for money Convenience
- "EXCELLENT " Jennifer m. 09/11/2016
THE SERVICE WAS TERRIFIC BEFORE WE GOT ON THE TRAIN THE JOURNEY WAS GREAT AND VERY TIMELY AND VERY EASY TO DO Convenience
- "one of the memorable moments" Naga b. 05/11/2016
Train was on time.Plenty of luggage space for every one. Even overhead lockers were able to hold large luggage .One of my most memorable moments happened in this train. Watching speed limit on screen going up from 200kph to 300.still a smooth ride.first time using italo.thought we should have used more. Thank you for the comfortable ride. naga Value for money Convenience
- "Firenze to Salerno" Rodney d. 02/11/2016
Absolutely amazing. I found the trip not only exhilarating but a new experience, especially coming from Australia where we only talk about fast trains and never make any decisions. One day !! 300 KMH is a fast train. And so much quieter than a plane and so much easier. Thanks Value for money Convenience
- "Fantastic Train Service" Ann f. 22/10/2016
Trains were always on time, clean and very comfortable. My husband and I were very impressed with the service. Value for money Convenience
- "RAIL TRAVEL IN ITALY" . 21/10/2016
I TRAVELED WITH MY FAMILY ON 08 OCT 16 FROM VENICE TO FLORENCE. IT WAS EXCEPTIONAL EXPERIENCE, WITH EXCELLENT COMFORT AND GREAT VALUE FOR MONEY. I COULD BOOK THE TICKETS, IN ADVANCE, FOR THIS JOURNEY ON LINE WITH NO DIFFICULTY. I RECOMMEND ALL VISITING ITALY TO USE RAIL TRANSPORT WHILE TRAVELING INTER CITY. THE SEATS ARE EXTREMELY COMFORTABLE AND MUCH BETTER THAN THOSE PROVIDED IN AIR OR BUS TRAVEL
- "*" . 20/10/2016
Very poor service, I need to change my booking from later to bit earlier the same day, the system would not allow me and the customer service could not help. Not a very good online service experience. Will not book online again.
- "Seamless" Emmanuel k. 19/10/2016
First time rail traveler, and would happily do it again Value for money Convenience
- "Rome to Florence" Joyce d. 14/10/2016
Great train, room on train to store our luggage, very comfortable seats, and good service on the train. Value for money Convenience
- "italo" Geoffrey g. 13/10/2016
Everything went very smoothly. The trip was very enjoyable Value for money Convenience
- "Train Travel" George y. 13/10/2016
Trains are very comfy, lots of room and even got a snack Value for money Convenience
- "Happy travellers" David s. 10/10/2016
Very satisfied - a great trip Only issue, it seems a number of passengers sit in seats which are reserved by others. Should not happen! Value for money Convenience