Railjet - Austria and beyond
- Budapest - Vienna: 02:36
- Book up to 60 days in advance
- High speed trains
Railjet - Austria and beyond
Railjet, modern Austrian high speed trains linking major cities of Austria, Germany and Hungary.
The modern Railjet trains are the new high-speed service operated by the Austrian Federal Railways (ÖBB). They currently run at speeds of up to 200km/h but there are plans to travel even faster (up to 230km/h). Railjet takes passengers on a pretty route through the Bavarian countryside all the way to the Alps and Germany and Switzerland, with wonderful views along the way. The trains are comfortable with modern fittings and furnishings and generous legroom.
Popular journeys and travel durations
The most popular destinations with Railjet are Budapest, Vienna, Munich, Salzburg and Zurich.
|Zurich||St Anton Am Arlberg||02:19||AU$ 83|
|Zurich||Langen Am Arlberg||02:12||AU$ 78|
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- Railjet - Austria and beyond tickets are open for booking 60 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Receive your ticket directly to your address. Just take them with you and you are ready to travel. Shipping fees apply.
Seat reservation :
- Recommended for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket when offered by the train carrier. With the included reservation, you are guaranteed a seat to make your journey more enjoyable.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Experience the service
Before you board
Stations are well-equipped and include services such as car rental, left-luggage facilities, shops, tourist information and restaurants and shops. Passengers travelling in first class can use the Club Lounge at Vienna station to relax before departure.
OnboardRailjet offers a first class and second class service. First class passengers can enjoy in-seat meals but the bistro restaurant may be more to your taste.
|First class||Second class|
|Carrier’s designationName of class of service as you might see on your ticket. small>||First||Economy|
|Passenger Information System Real time information about arrival times and connections. small>|
|Restaurant car Drinks, snacks and delicious meals, to make the most of your trip. small>|
|Kid’s facilities Children cinema are certain to keep younger ones happy. small>|
|Snacks and beverages Whenever you feel peckish, you can buy something on board to eat or drink. small>|
|Reclining seats Cosy with more legroom, reclining seats are ideal to enjoy the trip. small>|
|Comfortable seats Spacious seats with a headrest and generous legroom. small>|
|Refresher towel Great way to cleanse, recharge and revitalize. small>|
|Power sockets Ideal to plug your laptop, phone or any electronic device from your seat. small>|
|WiFi Internet Enjoy the freedom to read your emails, surf and listen to online music thanks to the wireless internet on board. small>|
|Newspapers and magazines Grab your free international/local newspaper or magazine and enjoy the ride. small>|
Interactive Rail Map
- A. AVE services offer two different classes of travel: in first class, depending on the train, you will be able to choose between First Class Club and Preferente where you can enjoy a meal served at seat, an access to VIP lounges in the main Spanish railways stations, daily press and free parking (24 hours if you have a single ticket, 48 hours for a return). Turista class, as known as 2nd class, includes a family area, children’s board games, wheelchair facilities as well as audio/video devices.
- A. Yes, you’ll need to reserve your place on AVE trains like in most high speed trains in Europe.
- A. You can book your ICE train up to 3 months in advance.
- A. First class on the Lyria offers large comfortable reclining seats and a bar-buffet car offering a selection of food and beverages for purchase. Second class on the Lyria offers generous legroom and a bar-buffet car offering a selection of food and beverages for purchase.
- A. You can print your Lyria ticket directly from your printer at home or, alternatively, you can retrieve it from the self-service machines available at the train stations in France only before boarding your Lyria train.
- A. Children 4 and under who do not need a bed travel free and do not require a sleeper reservation or a ticket. If the child is between the ages of 4 - 11 or is under 4 but will require a separate bed, then a special child's fare will apply.
- A. You can request 2 passengers in a double compartment. If there are no Double compartments available, you can then book a shared T3 but keep in mind, the third bed will be occupied by another passenger.
- A. Validation of your pass is having a Rail Official at the train station stamp your pass as valid.
- A. Reservation is compulsory on Italo. When you buy a ticket for Italo, the reservation is included. Please note that if have even if you have a Rail Pass which includes Italy, you need a separate ticket to travel on board the Italo. Passholder fares do not apply to Italo.
- A. The Eurail Select Pass is valid on trains operated by the national railways of the three to five bordering countries you select. However, some trains require seat reservations. For example, for many high-speed services, international trains, scenic trains and all night trains, an advance reservation is compulsory.
answered | Posted by Puteri M. | Comments 0 | Created: 12/09/2016
answered | Posted by MEI M. | Comments 0 | Created: 05/09/2016
answered | Posted by Muriel H. | Comments 0 | Created: 25/07/2016
answered | Posted by Judi B. | Comments 4 | Created: 21/07/2016
answered | Posted by Kenneth K. | Comments 0 | Created: 22/06/2016
Reviews & ratings Railjet - Austria and beyond
Overall rating (65)
Overall appreciationExcellent 32% Very good 37% Average 20% Poor 5% Terrible 5%
- "first leg of our trip" Susan l. 25/09/2016
Once we found the correct platform we were set. Easy to find carriage with the number displayed on the door. Purchasing our tickets through Raileurope was the best way to go having them delivered to our home and in our hand was a very secure feeling. Value for money Convenience
- "train trip " Geoffrey Michael s. 17/09/2016
trains were on time, clean and comfortable Value for money Convenience
- "Mr" Ashley c. 12/09/2016
Train was on time and comfortable. Value for money Convenience
- "Terrible experience" Gian w. 05/09/2016
I booked a ticket online and it didn't arrive before I left - I thought my receipt would be sufficient, and even though RailEurope had my details and could see I had bought a ticket, I still had to purchase another ticket as I did not have it in paper. Value for money Convenience
- "Train ride" Nicola s. 29/08/2016
Very comfortable journey, lovely scenery through Swizaland Value for money Convenience
- "Rail trip one" Quentin l. 19/08/2016
Excellent journey, very quiet, comfortable carriage. Very crowded so reserved seats were a bonus. Value for money Convenience
- "Travelling with cases." . 12/08/2016
We love train travel but think this will be our last train trip. The seats were comfortable, fares were good value, the train was convenient. BUT....... There is nowhere to place suitcases Travelling with cases is extremely difficult and had all seats in our compartment been occupied, it would have been impossible. The parcel rack is OK for parcels or small cases but not meant for larger cases. Realize there its nothing that can be done about this, it is the design of the train carriages. G Edwards
- "Austria" Hal r. 20/07/2016
Lovely scenic route, relaxed traveling style Value for money Convenience
- "RAILJET SERVICE" Geoffrey j. 06/07/2016
The quality of the train was very good. We were advised that the price charged was excessive Value for money Convenience
- "Prague to Vienna" Louis m. 05/07/2016
A very comfortable and pleasant journey. Initially tricky to determine how to book as so many options when googling the train ticket purchase from Australia but once I found rail Europe all worked well. Finding right platform and right carriage at Prague also tricky but eventually worked out fine. Value for money Convenience
- "Across Europe" Adrian h. 22/06/2016
Smooth and comfortable. Train ran exactly to time. Value for money Convenience
- "Prague Vienna 1st Class" Janis m. 20/06/2016
Enjoyable hassle free trip in a train both clean and comfortable,with friendly service.There could have been a little more attention from service staff..there were quite a few people for one person only to attend to.Better signage as to location of restaurant for non native speakers would be good too. Value for money Convenience
- "Great trip" Glynn r. 18/06/2016
Very good train trip with plenty to see - lovely countryside. Very efficient system Value for money Convenience
- "free WiFi even in second class" . 16/06/2016
Austrian Railjet trains are great. Quick, clean and comfortable and they even have free WiFi throughout
- "Prague to Vienna " . 08/06/2016
This trip was fine. Paying a little extra for first class was worth it... seats were a little bigger and further apart. 1 3 rather than 2 2. It was disappointing that I could not book a seat facing in the direction of travel, even if this cost a little more. Cafe car and service good. There was an accident on our line so we had a small detour and were 30 minutes late but all re-arrangements by staff seemed to be handled calmly and well. For short trips in Europe it is a very peaceful way to travel compared with flying, and you arrive /leave from the centre of town.