Railjet - Austria and beyond
Save AU$ 45 with code EUROPE1734 - book 3 months in advance
Save AU$ 30 with code EUROPE1718 - book 2 months in advance
Save AU$ 15 with code EUROPE1702 - book 1 month in advance
- Budapest - Vienna: 02:36
- Book up to 60 days in advance
- High Speed trains
5.5 milliontravellers in 2015
75+years of rail travel experience
Railjet - Austria and beyond
Railjet, modern Austrian high speed trains linking major cities of Austria, Germany and Hungary.
The modern Railjet trains are the new high-speed service operated by the Austrian Federal Railways (ÖBB). They currently run at speeds of up to 200km/h but there are plans to travel even faster (up to 230km/h). Railjet takes passengers on a pretty route through the Bavarian countryside all the way to the Alps and Germany and Switzerland, with wonderful views along the way. The trains are comfortable with modern fittings and furnishings and generous legroom.
Popular journeys and travel durations
The most popular destinations with Railjet are Budapest, Vienna, Munich, Salzburg and Zurich.
|St Anton Am Arlberg||Zurich||02:22||AU$ 79|
|Langen Am Arlberg||Zurich||02:12||AU$ 74|
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- Railjet - Austria and beyond tickets are open for booking 60 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Receive your ticket directly to your address. Just take them with you and you are ready to travel. Shipping fees apply.
Seat reservation :
- Recommended for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket when offered by the train carrier. With the included reservation, you are guaranteed a seat to make your journey more enjoyable.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Experience the service
Stations are well-equipped and include services such as car rental, left-luggage facilities, shops, tourist information and restaurants and shops. Passengers travelling in first class can use the Club Lounge at Vienna station to relax before departure.
OnboardRailjet offers a first class and second class service. First class passengers can enjoy in-seat meals but the bistro restaurant may be more to your taste.
|First class||Second class|
|Carrier’s designationName of class of service as you might see on your ticket. small>||First||Economy|
|Passenger Information System Real time information about arrival times and connections. small>|
|Restaurant car Drinks, snacks and delicious meals, to make the most of your trip. small>|
|Kid’s facilities Children cinema are certain to keep younger ones happy. small>|
|Snacks and beverages Whenever you feel peckish, you can buy something on board to eat or drink. small>|
|Reclining seats Cosy with more legroom, reclining seats are ideal to enjoy the trip. small>|
|Comfortable seats Spacious seats with a headrest and generous legroom. small>|
|Refresher towel Great way to cleanse, recharge and revitalize. small>|
|Power sockets Ideal to plug your laptop, phone or any electronic device from your seat. small>|
|WiFi Internet Enjoy the freedom to read your emails, surf and listen to online music thanks to the wireless internet on board. small>|
|Newspapers and magazines Grab your free international/local newspaper or magazine and enjoy the ride. small>|
Interactive Rail Map
- A. You can print your Thalys ticket directly from your printer at home or retrieve it from the self-service machines available in FRANCE ONLY before boarding your Thalys train.
- A. Passes are non-transferable as travelers name appears on the Railpass, and are valid for 6 months from date of purchase, which offers you the opportunity to reschedule your trip.
- A. All you'll need is your e-ticket # (found on your confirmation email). Please note: there may be multiple e-ticket # for your itinerary.
- A. Reservation is compulsory on TGV and if you are a pass holder, you still need to buy a TGV ticket. Among the passes available on TGV, you’ll be able to choose between Eurail Global, Eurail Select Pass or Eurail two country pass including France. France Rail Pass and France Rail Pass Premium are also among the possible options and offer last minute Easy Access reservations.
- A. You can print your tickets from the convenience of your home or you can retrieve them from self-service machines in London St Pancras, Brussels Midi or Paris Nord station before boarding your Eurostar train.
- A. A rail day lasts from midnight to midnight. You can take as many trains as you wish during this time.
- A. Some passes may be purchased in Europe at a higher cost. It is best to place your order before you departure to ensure that you have your paper documents in hand.
Q. What is the difference between 1st and 2nd class on the Thalys (Paris to Brussels and Amsterdam)?A. First class on the Thalys offers large comfortable reclining seats and drinks and a light snack served at your seat. Second class on the Thalys offers generous legroom and a selection of drinks and snacks at your seat that are available for purchase.
- A. The BritRail Family Pass allows one child between the ages of 5 and 15 to travel free with an adult or senior BritRail Pass holder.
- A. First class on the Italian day train offers large, comfortable reclining seats, and bar-buffet car offering a complete selection of food and beverages for purchase. (on major routes) Second class on the Italian day train offers generous legroom and bar-buffet car offering a complete selection of food and beverages for purchase. (on major routes)
answered | Posted by John C. | Comments 0 | Created: 24/02/2017
answered | Posted by Joan M. | Comments 0 | Created: 18/11/2016
answered | Posted by Puteri M. | Comments 0 | Created: 12/09/2016
answered | Posted by MEI M. | Comments 0 | Created: 05/09/2016
answered | Posted by Muriel H. | Comments 0 | Created: 25/07/2016
Reviews & ratings Railjet - Austria and beyond
Overall rating (65)
Overall appreciationExcellent 32% Very good 37% Average 20% Poor 5% Terrible 5%
- "Great Train Trip" . 19/01/2017
The journey by train was fantastic very comfy and no hassles easy to see the country side and very convenient way to travel between cities. Would definitely travel by train again when in Europe.
- "Across the Alps" John s. 16/01/2017
Our trip from Vienna to Innsbruck by rail was excellent. Very few passengers in our coach meant plenty of empty seats and windows to view out of. The countryside was beautiful. One minute you are looking at open farmland, the next mountain tops covered in snow. The four and half hours disappeared quickly, from boarding the train in Vienna and the next you are alighting in Innsbruck. I would recommend this train trip to any traveler fortunate enough to be holidaying in Austria. Both Vienna and Innsbruck are two cities you need to put in your must visit. Value for money Convenience
- "mountain trip" . 06/01/2017
this is a good train, we a family of 9, including a 1 year old were comfortable and seated near to each other, though not all.
- "Good trip" . 14/12/2016
Our trip on the RJ service waas good. Comfortable, value for money and very convenient. I would always use the trains throughout Europe. Staff at terminal were also very helpful with questions.
- "Sardines on wheels" . 02/11/2016
A commuter train is just that. . .crammed into hard seats like sardines for the trip. Was not impressed with station staff in Salzberg when trying to get suitcases off before the commute continued on its journey.
- "Luggage" Brian k. 25/10/2016
Need more space for heavy luggage Value for money Convenience
- "Wonderful, easy travelling" Diane m. 21/10/2016
How easy was this travelling by train - very easy. The train ran on time, it was clean, comfortable and loved every minute of my trip from Budapest to Prague. Serving of food and beverages was terrific and staff were very professional. The train change in Vienna was so easy and the information screens kept you informed at all times. Would highly recommend this style of travelling. Will certainly do it again. The glass waiting room on the platform was ideal and great protection from the elements and so easy to see your next train connection coming. Fabulous Rail Europe, we could learn a lot from you. Value for money Convenience
- "Good service to use" Kathryn b. 18/10/2016
I was impressed with the ease of travel using the online service, especially when it also including organising my seat allocation when booking. The trains were heavily booked and without this service, I may have been standing for the entire journey! I gave the 4 stars for convenience purely because of the situation of the Kelenfoe Station at the end of the Green Line and not the more central railway station. My rail travels really were a stress free and enjoyable way to travel! Value for money Convenience
- "Departure Station" John g. 14/10/2016
Our ticket was from Kelenford Station which was the most inhospitable place to go and catch our train to Zurich. No signage in English, nobody spoke English and man in ticket office in station building held up his hand 3 times to indicate that it was platform 15 that the train left from. There are no ramps or lift to platform level only stairs from the subway which runs under the tracks. The main Keleti Station would have been more suitable departure point. The trip after we got on was very good, the service during trip good so was the seating Overall good apart from departure station. Value for money Convenience
- "Slow trip ,little food left" . 11/10/2016
I was amazed that the train was so slow a lot of the time. I was more amazed that staff said the train had not be restocked for the return trip to Prague, There was very little you could buy to eat ot to drink !!!
- "Easy and comfortable" Andrew m. 02/10/2016
Travelled Munich to Salzburg by fast train, lovely comfortable way to go and nice scenery as well. Much better than the stress of driving new roads. Value for money Convenience
- "first leg of our trip" Susan l. 25/09/2016
Once we found the correct platform we were set. Easy to find carriage with the number displayed on the door. Purchasing our tickets through Raileurope was the best way to go having them delivered to our home and in our hand was a very secure feeling. Value for money Convenience
- "train trip " Geoffrey Michael s. 17/09/2016
trains were on time, clean and comfortable Value for money Convenience
- "Mr" Ashley c. 12/09/2016
Train was on time and comfortable. Value for money Convenience
- "Terrible experience" Gian w. 05/09/2016
I booked a ticket online and it didn't arrive before I left - I thought my receipt would be sufficient, and even though RailEurope had my details and could see I had bought a ticket, I still had to purchase another ticket as I did not have it in paper. Value for money Convenience