Renfe Spanish high speed trains
- Madrid - Barcelona: 02:50
- Prices from AU$ 50
- Book up to 60 days in advance
- High speed trains
Renfe Spanish high speed trains
Spanish day trains. High speed AVE connection between cities like Madrid, Barcelona, Seville etc.
Travelling by train during the day is a great way to see a country’s secrets. The Alta Velocidad Espanola (AVE) is the best way to see what Spain has to offer. The high speed AVE travels at speeds of 300km/h across the Spanish RENFE network. AVE trains are modern and comfortable. Passengers can sit back and relax as they shoot from one end of the country to the other, stopping at pretty towns and major bustling cities along the way.
Popular journeys and travel durations
AVE high speed trains operated by RENFE reach several destinations in Spain. The most important cities which are on the RENFE newtwork are Madrid, Seville, Barcelona and Malaga.
|Santiago De Compostela||Barcelona||12:23||AU$ 63|
|Castellon De La Plana||Barcelona||02:21||AU$ 17|
|Barcelona||La Coruna||12:52||AU$ 64|
|Barcelona||Murcia Del Carmen||06:47||AU$ 25|
|San Sebastian||Barcelona||05:28||AU$ 39|
|Miranda De Ebro||Barcelona||04:55||AU$ 44|
- Children under 4 years old can travel free on board Renfe trains if they do not require an extra seat. Make sure to retrieve your free infant ticket at the train station before boarding.
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- Renfe Spanish high speed trains tickets are open for booking 60 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Print @ home
Print your ticket anywhere and anytime before your travel. Skip shipping fees.
Seat reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Getting around Spain by train couldn’t be easier with Renfe, the Spanish rail system. The high speed AVE trains whisk passengers up and down the country on the broad Renfe network, in comfort and style.
Experience the service
Before you board
If you are visiting major Spanish cities for the first time, make sure you get to the train stations early to figure out where you are meant to take your train.Please note that your tickets and passports will be checked before you board the AVE trains, operated by RENFE.
OnboardAVE trains, operated by RENFE, have three classes of service to choose from. There’s Club (business class) Preferente (first class) and Tourist (second class). All classes offer facilities for disabled travellers and have comfortable seats and friendly staff on hand throughout the journey, as well as in-seat audio and video programmes. Club and Preferente passengers also benefit from snacks and meals served at their seat and access to lounges.
|First class||First class||Second class|
|Carrier’s designationName of class of service as you might see on your ticket. small>||Club||Preferente||Turista|
|Bar buffet car Access to the bar buffet car where snacks and beverages can be bought. small>|
|Audio system Listen to your favourite tune while enjoying the passing landscape. small>|
|Video screens Ideal for entertainment, some coaches are equipped with screens. small>|
|Kid’s facilities Intuitive board games are available for children. small>|
|Meal and drink A delicious meal and drinks are served at seat on board. small>|
|AVE lounges at station Get the ultimate treat before any trip, or simply an ideal place to continue working. small>|
|On board conference lounge Ideal for business travellers to conduct any urgent meeting. small>|
AVE trains offer 2 first class options called Club (Business) Class and Preferente(First Class).
- Club class and Preferente Class aboard AVE trains offer large comfortable reclining seats that make you feel at ease. A selection of video and audio programs at your seat will help you take your mind off any work you should be doing! Friendly staff will serve you drinks and light snacks at your seat.
- Dedicated to Business travellers, the Club class also offers an “à la carte” menu. Travel and work in style: the Club class offer leather seats. This class of service also offers tables for each seat.
Travel in comfort even in 2nd class
- Tourist class (2nd Class) on the AVE offers generous legroom, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat and a bar-buffet car offering a selection of food and beverages. Like Club Class and Preferente, Turista Class also offers you puzzle for your children. There is also a dedicated family area for your enjoyment.
- It is important to note that all classes offer facilities for disabled people. Other services for all include a bar-buffet car, phone booths, a nursery area and a meeting area.
Luggage Weight Limit
- To ensure the comfort of all passengers, there is a weight limit for individual baggage, which is fixed at 20 kg.
Train travellers taking the high speed AVE trains around Spain are in for a treat. The Spanish rail operator Renfe offers style and class onboard the famous trains.
Interactive Rail Map
- A. AVE trains can be booked up to 60 days in advance, giving you plenty of time to plan the trip of your life is sunny Spain.
- A. The term "Gender Specific" means that these compartments will not allow male and female passengers to travel in the same compartment. The exception to this condition is if you and your travel companion(s) intend on using all beds within the compartment. Trains in which this condition applies are: Elipsos, CNL, Lusitania, Spanish Night trains.
Q. Should Eurostar, Thalys and other High Speed Train tickets be purchased prior to your departure date?A. Many trains such as the Eurostar offer discounted tickets for advance purchase. These fares have limited availability and sell out quickly. To receive the best price on the train you want to travel on you should purchase your tickets prior to your departure so you can avoid fully booked trains.
- A. First class on the Spanish day train offers large, comfortable reclining seats, friendly staff to serve you drinks and light snacks at your seat and major routes have audio and video programs at your seat. Second class on the Spanish day train offers generous legroom, bar-buffet car offering a complete selection of food and beverages for purchase and major routes have audio and video programs at your seat.
- A. Check-in is usually open 30 minutes before AVE train leaves and is closed 2 minutes before departure. Also, bear in mind that ticket control and passport checks will occur before boarding AVE Trains. For travellers carrying Eurail Pass including Spain – just remember that you need to validate your pass prior to boarding AVE trains and get a reservation.
- A. Yes, you’ll need to reserve your place on AVE trains like in most high speed trains in Europe.
- A. You can buy all your AVE tickets trains quickly and easily online, with no booking fee, and print them in the convenience of your home.
- A. All passengers with an AVE ticket may carry up to two pieces of hand luggage, for which they will be responsible and which they must store in the designated areas. The total weight limit is 20 kg and the combined dimensions (length + width + height) of each piece of luggage must not be more than 250 cm.
- A. AVE services offer two different classes of travel: in first class, depending on the train, you will be able to choose between First Class Club and Preferente where you can enjoy a meal served at seat, an access to VIP lounges in the main Spanish railways stations, daily press and free parking (24 hours if you have a single ticket, 48 hours for a return). Turista class, as known as 2nd class, includes a family area, children’s board games, wheelchair facilities as well as audio/video devices.
- A. High speed AVE trains connect Madrid to cities including Barcelona and Seville, Malaga and Valencia. Travel time between Madrid and Barcelona is 2 hours and 30 minutes. You can also go to Seville from Madrid in 2 hours and 20 minutes. For longer journeys, Barcelona is 5 hours and 45 minutes from Malaga and 5 hours and 37 minutes from Seville.
answered | Posted by meagan c. | Comments 2 | Created: 30/01/2016
answered | Posted by Annalouise P. | Comments 0 | Created: 20/12/2015
answered | Posted by Andrew W. | Comments 0 | Created: 15/11/2015
Travelling from lisbon to san sebastion - over night train - i belive it will be on th renfe train how far can i book in advance (...)would like to know how far in advance I can book the 9.12 pm train from lisbon to San sebastian travelling in group of 4 - 2 (...)
answered | Posted by john k. | Comments 0 | Created: 11/11/2015
answered | Posted by Bill B. | Comments 0 | Created: 31/10/2015
Reviews & ratings Renfe Spanish high speed trains
Overall rating (952)
Overall appreciationExcellent 49% Very good 32% Average 12% Poor 3% Terrible 3%
- "Speed and Comfort" Kelly r. 30/09/2016
Nothing could be easier than taking a journey on the Renfe. Trains and super comfortable and smooth as silk on the rails. Before you know it you're at your destination and can even have a snack and drink on the way if there is time. Staff were helpful and of all the trains we caught they were as punctual as can be! can not say enough good things Convenience
- "High speed facing backwards" Leanne s. 29/09/2016
Comfortable journey...I just don't like facing backwards on trains!! Convenience
- "Mad-Mal" . 26/09/2016
- "Great Experience" Joseph g. 26/09/2016
Loved this trip. Wish we had similar in Austrlia. Convenience
- "Convenient fast travel" Pauline z. 25/09/2016
Train is a faster method of travel if you have time restraints. Only negative is limited luggage space. Convenience
- "Fast Train" Dennis d. 25/09/2016
Train departed Madrid and arrived at Barcelona exactly on time was clean and quiet. Would defintely use again. Convenience
- "Great trip" Jacqueline l. 22/09/2016
Easy travel and comfort Convenience
- "Enjoyable travelling by train" Mach c. 21/09/2016
Don't have anything negative about the trip. We bought tickets online and saved time (queuing for buying tickets). The train arrived on time and we easily found our reserved seats. Convenience
- "On the correct train" Robert c. 19/09/2016
After our mistake we made sure we were on the correct train. The journey was comfortable . Convenience
- "Madrid to San Sebastian Train" Gregory h. 19/09/2016
Excellent trip very inexpensive when you book in advance. Very comfortable trip. Would recommend it as the best mode of transport in Europe. Convenience
- "Great way to travel" Gillian f. 17/09/2016
love to travel by train this was a joy highly recommend doing the trip Convenience
- "A Dream Come true" Allan g. 16/09/2016
A thrill to travel on a really hi-speed train. A wonderful journey, so smooth and so fast. I just loved the on-board music - so relaxing. And the price was so right for me. Convenience
- "Good trains bad staff" Rachel w. 16/09/2016
Travelled Tourista Plus - Renfe trains are good, clean Convenience
- "Had better experiences" Lynne j. 14/09/2016
The staff onboard were friendly and helpful. However for the price of this trip I would have expected free tea, coffee and nibbles for first class passengers like some other European countries. Also there was no Wifi which would have been useful for such a journey. Convenience
- "Comfortable trip" . 14/09/2016
The train and the journey were very comfortable.