Renfe Spanish high speed trains
- Madrid - Barcelona: 02:50
- Prices from AU$ 50
- Book up to 60 days in advance
- High speed trains
Renfe Spanish high speed trains
Spanish day trains. High speed AVE connection between cities like Madrid, Barcelona, Seville etc.
Travelling by train during the day is a great way to see a country’s secrets. The Alta Velocidad Espanola (AVE) is the best way to see what Spain has to offer. The high speed AVE travels at speeds of 300km/h across the Spanish RENFE network. AVE trains are modern and comfortable. Passengers can sit back and relax as they shoot from one end of the country to the other, stopping at pretty towns and major bustling cities along the way.
Popular journeys and travel durations
AVE high speed trains operated by RENFE reach several destinations in Spain. The most important cities which are on the RENFE newtwork are Madrid, Seville, Barcelona and Malaga.
|Barcelona||La Coruna||12:52||AU$ 64|
|Barcelona||Murcia Del Carmen||06:47||AU$ 25|
|Miranda De Ebro||Barcelona||04:55||AU$ 44|
|Barcelona||Castellon De La Plana||02:02||AU$ 17|
|Barcelona||San Sebastian||05:28||AU$ 39|
- Children under 4 years old can travel free on board Renfe trains if they do not require an extra seat. Make sure to retrieve your free infant ticket at the train station before boarding.
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- Renfe Spanish high speed trains tickets are open for booking 60 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Print @ home
Print your ticket anywhere and anytime before your travel. Skip shipping fees.
Seat reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Getting around Spain by train couldn’t be easier with Renfe, the Spanish rail system. The high speed AVE trains whisk passengers up and down the country on the broad Renfe network, in comfort and style.
Experience the service
Before you board
If you are visiting major Spanish cities for the first time, make sure you get to the train stations early to figure out where you are meant to take your train.Please note that your tickets and passports will be checked before you board the AVE trains, operated by RENFE.
OnboardAVE trains, operated by RENFE, have three classes of service to choose from. There’s Club (business class) Preferente (first class) and Tourist (second class). All classes offer facilities for disabled travellers and have comfortable seats and friendly staff on hand throughout the journey, as well as in-seat audio and video programmes. Club and Preferente passengers also benefit from snacks and meals served at their seat and access to lounges.
|First class||First class||Second class|
|Carrier’s designationName of class of service as you might see on your ticket. small>||Club||Preferente||Turista|
|Bar buffet car Access to the bar buffet car where snacks and beverages can be bought. small>|
|Audio system Listen to your favourite tune while enjoying the passing landscape. small>|
|Video screens Ideal for entertainment, some coaches are equipped with screens. small>|
|Kid’s facilities Intuitive board games are available for children. small>|
|Meal and drink A delicious meal and drinks are served at seat on board. small>|
|AVE lounges at station Get the ultimate treat before any trip, or simply an ideal place to continue working. small>|
|On board conference lounge Ideal for business travellers to conduct any urgent meeting. small>|
AVE trains offer 2 first class options called Club (Business) Class and Preferente(First Class).
- Club class and Preferente Class aboard AVE trains offer large comfortable reclining seats that make you feel at ease. A selection of video and audio programs at your seat will help you take your mind off any work you should be doing! Friendly staff will serve you drinks and light snacks at your seat.
- Dedicated to Business travellers, the Club class also offers an “à la carte” menu. Travel and work in style: the Club class offer leather seats. This class of service also offers tables for each seat.
Travel in comfort even in 2nd class
- Tourist class (2nd Class) on the AVE offers generous legroom, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat and a bar-buffet car offering a selection of food and beverages. Like Club Class and Preferente, Turista Class also offers you puzzle for your children. There is also a dedicated family area for your enjoyment.
- It is important to note that all classes offer facilities for disabled people. Other services for all include a bar-buffet car, phone booths, a nursery area and a meeting area.
Luggage Weight Limit
- To ensure the comfort of all passengers, there is a weight limit for individual baggage, which is fixed at 20 kg.
Train travellers taking the high speed AVE trains around Spain are in for a treat. The Spanish rail operator Renfe offers style and class onboard the famous trains.
Interactive Rail Map
- A. High speed AVE trains connect Madrid to cities including Barcelona and Seville, Malaga and Valencia. Travel time between Madrid and Barcelona is 2 hours and 30 minutes. You can also go to Seville from Madrid in 2 hours and 20 minutes. For longer journeys, Barcelona is 5 hours and 45 minutes from Malaga and 5 hours and 37 minutes from Seville.
- A. The AVE offers 2 first class options they are called Club class and Preferente class. Club class on the AVE offers access to the AVE lounges at the rail stations, large comfortable reclining seats, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat, and friendly staff serves you drinks and light snacks at your seat. This class of service offers tables for each seat. Preferente class on the AVE offers access to the AVE lounges at the rail stations, large comfortable reclining seats, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat, and friendly staff serves you drinks and light snacks at your seat. Tourist class (2nd Class) on the AVE offers generous legroom, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat and a bar-buffet car offering a selection of food and beverages for purchase.
- A. The term "Gender Specific" means that these compartments will not allow male and female passengers to travel in the same compartment. The exception to this condition is if you and your travel companion(s) intend on using all beds within the compartment. Trains in which this condition applies are: Elipsos, CNL, Lusitania, Spanish Night trains.
- A. All passengers with an AVE ticket may carry up to two pieces of hand luggage, for which they will be responsible and which they must store in the designated areas. The total weight limit is 20 kg and the combined dimensions (length + width + height) of each piece of luggage must not be more than 250 cm.
- A. Yes. If you’re on Turista class, you could buy some nice snacks and beverages to a bar buffet car. On Ave First class, a catering service will deliver you some meal and beverages directly to your seat. You could also get access to an A la Carte service at seat and even a bar service.
Q. Should Eurostar, Thalys and other High Speed Train tickets be purchased prior to your departure date?A. Many trains such as the Eurostar offer discounted tickets for advance purchase. These fares have limited availability and sell out quickly. To receive the best price on the train you want to travel on you should purchase your tickets prior to your departure so you can avoid fully booked trains.
- A. Check-in is usually open 30 minutes before AVE train leaves and is closed 2 minutes before departure. Also, bear in mind that ticket control and passport checks will occur before boarding AVE Trains. For travellers carrying Eurail Pass including Spain – just remember that you need to validate your pass prior to boarding AVE trains and get a reservation.
- A. Yes, you’ll need to reserve your place on AVE trains like in most high speed trains in Europe.
- A. AVE trains can be booked up to 60 days in advance, giving you plenty of time to plan the trip of your life is sunny Spain.
- A. You can buy all your AVE tickets trains quickly and easily online, with no booking fee, and print them in the convenience of your home.
answered | Posted by meagan c. | Comments 2 | Created: 30/01/2016
answered | Posted by Annalouise P. | Comments 0 | Created: 20/12/2015
answered | Posted by Andrew W. | Comments 0 | Created: 15/11/2015
Travelling from lisbon to san sebastion - over night train - i belive it will be on th renfe train how far can i book in advance (...)would like to know how far in advance I can book the 9.12 pm train from lisbon to San sebastian travelling in group of 4 - 2 (...)
answered | Posted by john k. | Comments 0 | Created: 11/11/2015
answered | Posted by Bill B. | Comments 0 | Created: 31/10/2015
Reviews & ratings Renfe Spanish high speed trains
Overall rating (952)
Overall appreciationExcellent 49% Very good 32% Average 12% Poor 3% Terrible 3%
- "Great way to travel" Douglas f. 25/10/2016
We travelled from Madrid to Barcelona first class. The ease of access to the station, boarding and allocated seats made the journey a breeze. The attendants were most helpful and courteous and the food was good. Much better than flying... and you get to see the country! Convenience
- "Great trip" Annette z. 25/10/2016
It was a fast and comfortable trip. We travelled premium as it only cost a few more euro. It was worth it as a coffee vendor came around. We tried to buy from the food carriage but it was too busy Convenience
- "great trip" Catriona m. 24/10/2016
it didn't let me fill in value for money. I would give this 4 stars Convenience
- "Train trip " . 24/10/2016
We were very impressed with your trains, clean, on time with comfortable seats. thankyou, Barry. We did have trouble understanding booking document as it was in Spanish, also couldn"t understand number of train times to Barcelona.
- "Great trip" . 21/10/2016
The trip was great. Toledo Station is very impressive.
- "excellent trip" Philip p. 21/10/2016
We went first class from Madrid to Barcelona on a late Sunday morning trip. Everything went to plan. On time departure and arrival. Seats were fine; food from the buffet was ok. Also pleased that there was plenty of space to store our three large bags. Convenience
- "Convenient, comfortable travel" Heather k. 18/10/2016
Using the Renfe train service enabled us to travel throughout most parts of Spain in a comfortable, efficient way. Only comment I would make is the lack of English for us non-Spanish speaking people, both with signage and staff. (value for money stars don't work.) Convenience
- "xcellent, efficient and econi" . 18/10/2016
I recently travelled from Bilbao to Madrid in first class. I had a comfortable clean carriage and the service was on time. I would definitely recommend train travel in Spain and would not hesitate to use again.
- "Travelling from the Basque cou" Gregory s. 17/10/2016
Train was on time, well appointed and comfortable Convenience
- "Far from first class" Gareth r. 14/10/2016
The write up about this trip and the accommodation is misleading. We booked first class for access to a private bed and bathroom facilities. The cabins were tiny and there was a stainless steel sink. We had to coordinate every move to get out of the cabin as there was no room for luggage. The toilet was not private, there was one per carriage and they were filthy. By the morning the smell spread right through the cabin. The train stopped at many brightly lit stations throughout the night and just sat there. I would not recommend this trip Convenience
- "Madrid to Barcelona" . 13/10/2016
We decided to take the high speed train from Madrid to Barcelona to connect with an international flight the following day. The train was comfortable and fast. We were able to travel from city centre to city centre in about 3 hours which was convenient and did not require airport transfers.
- "Great Way To Travel" Colin m. 12/10/2016
Train was very easy to find and board. Very comfortable and good service. Convenience
- "The Easy Way" Philip n. 12/10/2016
We travelled from Madrid to Seville in 1st class. It wasn't cheap but it was very comfortable, very easy and extremely relaxing. If you were only doing the towns in Spain then rail is the only way to go. Convenience
- "Barcelona to madrid" . 11/10/2016
Excellent service / train/ staff
- "Easy riding" Heather s. 11/10/2016
I found the Spanish rail system to be efficient, comfortable and relaxing. High speed train from Madrid to Seville suited me perfectly without any long queues and no fear of flying, Booking in advance also made it a very affordable option. Convenience