Swedish Night Trains
- Stockholm - Oslo: 00:00
- Book up to 90 days in advance
- Night trains
- Secure cabins with cozy berths
- Save on accommodation
5.5 milliontravellers in 2015
75+years of rail travel experience
Swedish Night Trains
Swedish night trains. Travel in Scandinavia to discover Malmö, Gothenburg, Kiruna, Narvik and Stockholm.
Sweden is a beautiful part of Scandinavia and it stretches right up to the North Pole. To cover the vast expanses of stunning countryside, and visit cities such as Gothenburg and Malmo, as well as smaller towns like Luleå, Kiruna and Narvik, the best way to travel is by the SJ Night Train. The trains also run internationally from southern Sweden with a Malmo to Berlin service. The modern high speed trains have cosy sleeper cabins, hearty homely meals and a good selection of wine. The carriages are stylish with Scandinavian design and have a light airy feel. As you travel further into the wilderness the train becomes the perfect cocoon from which to watch the wild world unveil its secrets. As night falls passengers can settle down to a nourishing hot meal or a drink choosing from the seasonal menu in the bistro or head to the 21-seat cinema, where two films are shown each night.
Popular journeys and travel durations
Main destinations for the SJ Night Train include Malmö, Gothenburg, Östersund and Stockholm. There is also a night train to Berlin from Malmo.
|Main routes||Travel time|
|Gothenburg – Åre||13h|
|Stockholm – Åre||8h|
|Malmö – Stockholm||8h|
|Stockholm – Luleå/Kiruna/Narvik||11h10|
|Gothenburg – Luleå/Kiruna/Narvik||19h45|
|Stockholm – Oslo (summer season only)||8h|
|Malmö – Berlin (not during winter time)||7h|
|Malmö – Oslo (summer season only)||7h30|
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- Swedish Night Trains tickets are open for booking 90 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Receive your ticket directly to your address. Just take them with you and you are ready to travel. Shipping fees apply.
Seat reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Experience the service
Gothenburg and Stockholm stations are well equipped for the traveller with abundant shops and restaurants, but if you are travelling in first class you can relax in the SJ Night train lounges found at these stations. The lounges have snacks and refreshments, wifi internet access and helpful staff to answer any queries.All passengers travelling from Stockholm, Malmö or Åre should check in well before the departure time of their train.
OnboardThe Swedish Night Train has four classes of service to choose from. For a cabin on your own, the best option is Sleeper Deluxe Single. First class sleepers also offer privacy and washrooms and WCs while second class Sleepers are two or three bed cabins. For those who don’t mind sharing with more people the couchette is good value for money sleeping up to six people. All classes are served breakfast, lunch and dinner. The international service from Malmo to Berlin has just two classes – sleeper cabins and couchette and does not operate during winter.
|First class||First class||Second class||Second class|
|Carrier’s designationName of class of service as you might see on your ticket. small>||Sleeper single deluxe||1st class sleepers||2nd class sleepers||2nd class seats|
|1-bed cabin Ample space for a very comfortable ride. small>|
|2-bed cabin) Ample space for a very comfortable ride in the Double deluxe cabin. small>|
|Private bathroom Freshen up with a shower or use the WC for more convenience. small>|
|Shared bathroom Freshen up or use the WC for more convenience. small>|
|2 or 3-bed cabin Ample space for a very comfortable ride. small>|
|6-bed cabin The best way for a very comfortable ride in the company of friends or other fellow travellers in the Couchette compartments. small>|
|Sheet, sleeping bag and blanket Travel on a budget, yet comfortably. small>|
|Restaurant car Drinks, snacks and delicious meals, to make the most of your trip. small>|
|Breakfast The most important meal of the day for a memorable experience. small>|
Interactive Rail Map
- A. A pass holder is a reduced fare that can be purchased in place of a ticket. It requires the use of 1 day on a rail pass and is generally required for high-speed trains.
- A. Unfortunately, you cannot request a forward-facing seat. Trains generally pull into a station in one direction, and pull out in another direction and seat positions change, depending on the train.
- A. Yes, you may need to make a reservation. All trains that travel internationally will require reservations. All night trains and high-speed trains will require reservations. Most trains in these countries will require reservations: France, Spain, and Italy.
- A. Any bonus that is free will use a travel day on your railpass. Discounted bonuses will not require the use of a travel day, but do require that the railpass is valid.
Q. What are the differences between a Single, Double, T2, T3, T4, and couchette on overnight trains?A. Sleeper accommodations vary according to amenities and the number of people occupying the compartment. The name or number advises how many beds are in each room. A couchette (pronounced "koo-SHET") is normally usually in 2nd Class. A couchette accommodates 6 passengers, male and female, and offers no amenities. Keep in mind that some compartments are gender specific unless the compartment is booked in full. For more information about sleepers please visit our how to book sleepers page.
- A. 1st Class seats often recline, there are fewer seats per car, and there is more space for luggage. On some high-speed trains, the price of a 1st Class ticket includes a meal. 1st class is generally quieter with more business and adult passengers. 2nd Class accommodations are less expensive, but not as spacious, as there are more seats per car. For trips over 2 hours we recommend that you book 1st class.
- A. Austria, Benelux (includes Belgium, Luxembourg, Holland), Bulgaria/Serbia/Montenegro, Czech Republic, Croatia/Slovenia, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Norway, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Romania, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland.
- A. Not presently but as soon as European railways introduce e-tickets, we will be able to offer them.
- A. A "point to point ticket" is a rail ticket valid on a specific route, between two city stations whereas a Eurail Italy pass offers unlimited rail travel in Italy from 3 to 10 days. If you’re planning to travel several times by train, buying a Eurail Italy pass will be a more affordable option that buying individual rail tickets.
- A. Eurostar journeys can be booked up to 6 months in advance of the return date of travel. Eurostar Direct services to Disneyland Resort Paris have a longer booking period and are made available further in advance. And Eurostar Direct seasonal services to the French Alps and Avignon are opened for sale for the entire season.
answered | Posted by Sue T. | Comments 0 | Created: 12/01/2015
answered | Posted by Karl L. | Comments 0 | Created: 13/09/2014
answered | Posted by Leong O. | Comments 0 | Created: 09/07/2014
answered | Posted by alan m. | Comments 0 | Created: 08/07/2014
answered | Posted by Roz O. | Comments 2 | Created: 09/06/2014
Reviews & ratings Swedish Night Trains
Overall rating (213)
Overall appreciationExcellent 35% Very good 35% Average 21% Poor 7% Terrible 2%
- "Stockholm to Oslo " Louise m. 08/11/2013
Train was on time and comfortable. Value for money Convenience
- "oslo- bergen" . 25/06/2013
good train - why is comfort class not included in eurail pass onthis trip ??