Swedish Night Trains
- Stockholm - Oslo: 00:00
- Book up to 90 days in advance
- Night trains
- Secure cabins with cozy berths
- Save on accommodation
travellers in 2015
years of rail travel experience
Swedish Night Trains
Swedish night trains. Travel in Scandinavia to discover Malmö, Gothenburg, Kiruna, Narvik and Stockholm.
Sweden is a beautiful part of Scandinavia and it stretches right up to the North Pole. To cover the vast expanses of stunning countryside, and visit cities such as Gothenburg and Malmo, as well as smaller towns like Luleå, Kiruna and Narvik, the best way to travel is by the SJ Night Train. The trains also run internationally from southern Sweden with a Malmo to Berlin service. The modern high speed trains have cosy sleeper cabins, hearty homely meals and a good selection of wine. The carriages are stylish with Scandinavian design and have a light airy feel. As you travel further into the wilderness the train becomes the perfect cocoon from which to watch the wild world unveil its secrets. As night falls passengers can settle down to a nourishing hot meal or a drink choosing from the seasonal menu in the bistro or head to the 21-seat cinema, where two films are shown each night.
Popular journeys and travel durations
Main destinations for the SJ Night Train include Malmö, Gothenburg, Östersund and Stockholm. There is also a night train to Berlin from Malmo.
|Main routes||Travel time|
|Gothenburg – Åre||13h|
|Stockholm – Åre||8h|
|Malmö – Stockholm||8h|
|Stockholm – Luleå/Kiruna/Narvik||11h10|
|Gothenburg – Luleå/Kiruna/Narvik||19h45|
|Stockholm – Oslo (summer season only)||8h|
|Malmö – Berlin (not during winter time)||7h|
|Malmö – Oslo (summer season only)||7h30|
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- Swedish Night Trains tickets are open for booking 90 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Receive your ticket directly to your address. Just take them with you and you are ready to travel. Shipping fees apply.
Seat reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Experience the service
Gothenburg and Stockholm stations are well equipped for the traveller with abundant shops and restaurants, but if you are travelling in first class you can relax in the SJ Night train lounges found at these stations. The lounges have snacks and refreshments, wifi internet access and helpful staff to answer any queries.All passengers travelling from Stockholm, Malmö or Åre should check in well before the departure time of their train.
OnboardThe Swedish Night Train has four classes of service to choose from. For a cabin on your own, the best option is Sleeper Deluxe Single. First class sleepers also offer privacy and washrooms and WCs while second class Sleepers are two or three bed cabins. For those who don’t mind sharing with more people the couchette is good value for money sleeping up to six people. All classes are served breakfast, lunch and dinner. The international service from Malmo to Berlin has just two classes – sleeper cabins and couchette and does not operate during winter.
|First class||First class||Second class||Second class|
|Carrier’s designationName of class of service as you might see on your ticket. small>||Sleeper single deluxe||1st class sleepers||2nd class sleepers||2nd class seats|
|1-bed cabin Ample space for a very comfortable ride. small>|
|2-bed cabin) Ample space for a very comfortable ride in the Double deluxe cabin. small>|
|Private bathroom Freshen up with a shower or use the WC for more convenience. small>|
|Shared bathroom Freshen up or use the WC for more convenience. small>|
|2 or 3-bed cabin Ample space for a very comfortable ride. small>|
|6-bed cabin The best way for a very comfortable ride in the company of friends or other fellow travellers in the Couchette compartments. small>|
|Sheet, sleeping bag and blanket Travel on a budget, yet comfortably. small>|
|Restaurant car Drinks, snacks and delicious meals, to make the most of your trip. small>|
|Breakfast The most important meal of the day for a memorable experience. small>|
Interactive Rail Map
- A. Eurostar Business Premier passengers will be offered a 3-course meal with refreshments at seat meanwhile in Standard Premier, you will get a light and cold meal with refreshments at seat. A bar buffet car with a selection of food and beverages for purchase is also available on Standard class.
- A. Lyria trains offer two different classes of travel. In First class, a delicious cold at-seat meal is offered to you, no matter what time you travel. A large selection of Swiss, French, international magazines and newspapers are also available for your perusal. Onboard taxi booking service is also available from Monday to Friday. Comfortable seats will welcome you in Second class where you can also enjoy the convenience of a bar-buffet car.
- A. Your Eurail Select pass must be validated by a railway official in one of the countries mentioned on the Eurail Select Pass (station’s desk) who also fills your first and last day of travel in the passport number.
- A. The following items of luggage are accepted at no extra cost on TGV trains and must be stored in the racks provided: hand luggage (suitcases, travel bags, rucksacks); skis in a bag; children’s prams; dismantled bikes in a bag; portable wakeboards in a bag. Also remember that on all French trains, including TGV, it is mandatory to place a tag on each piece of luggage identifying the traveller.
- A. Yes, you may travel as many times are you like between countries that are on your pass.
- A. From Germany, several cities in bordering countries can be reached. The Intercity Express (ICE) goes to Brussels, the DB Expressbus to Prague, the DB-ÖBB Eurocity to Kufstein and Innsbruck and the DB-ÖBB Eurocity to Bolzzano/Bozen, Verona, Bologna and Venice.
- A. When travelling with Thalys, you can carry a maximum of two suitcases per paying passenger (the largest side must be equal to 85 centimetres) and one item of hand luggage.
- A. Reservation is compulsory on Italo. When you buy a ticket for Italo, the reservation is included. Please note that if have even if you have a Rail Pass which includes Italy, you need a separate ticket to travel on board the Italo. Passholder fares do not apply to Italo.
- A. First class on the Talgo 200 offers large, comfortable reclining seats, friendly staff to serve you drinks and light snacks at your seat and major routes have audio and video programs at your seat. Second class on the Talgo offers generous legroom, bar-buffet car offering a complete selection of food and beverages for purchase and major routes have audio and video programs at your seat.
- A. Unfortunately, you cannot request a forward-facing seat. Trains generally pull into a station in one direction, and pull out in another direction and seat positions change, depending on the train.
answered | Posted by Sue T. | Comments 0 | Created: 12/01/2015
answered | Posted by Karl L. | Comments 0 | Created: 13/09/2014
answered | Posted by Leong O. | Comments 0 | Created: 09/07/2014
answered | Posted by alan m. | Comments 0 | Created: 08/07/2014
answered | Posted by Roz O. | Comments 2 | Created: 09/06/2014
Reviews & ratings Swedish Night Trains
Overall rating (213)
Overall appreciationExcellent 35% Very good 35% Average 21% Poor 7% Terrible 2%
- "Stockholm to Oslo " Louise m. 08/11/2013
Train was on time and comfortable. Value for money Convenience
- "oslo- bergen" . 25/06/2013
good train - why is comfort class not included in eurail pass onthis trip ??