Swedish Night Trains
- Stockholm - Oslo: 00:00
- Book up to 90 days in advance
- Night trains
- Secure cabins with cozy berths
- Save on accommodation
5.5 milliontravellers in 2015
75+years of rail travel experience
Swedish Night Trains
Swedish night trains. Travel in Scandinavia to discover Malmö, Gothenburg, Kiruna, Narvik and Stockholm.
Sweden is a beautiful part of Scandinavia and it stretches right up to the North Pole. To cover the vast expanses of stunning countryside, and visit cities such as Gothenburg and Malmo, as well as smaller towns like Luleå, Kiruna and Narvik, the best way to travel is by the SJ Night Train. The trains also run internationally from southern Sweden with a Malmo to Berlin service. The modern high speed trains have cosy sleeper cabins, hearty homely meals and a good selection of wine. The carriages are stylish with Scandinavian design and have a light airy feel. As you travel further into the wilderness the train becomes the perfect cocoon from which to watch the wild world unveil its secrets. As night falls passengers can settle down to a nourishing hot meal or a drink choosing from the seasonal menu in the bistro or head to the 21-seat cinema, where two films are shown each night.
Popular journeys and travel durations
Main destinations for the SJ Night Train include Malmö, Gothenburg, Östersund and Stockholm. There is also a night train to Berlin from Malmo.
|Main routes||Travel time|
|Gothenburg – Åre||13h|
|Stockholm – Åre||8h|
|Malmö – Stockholm||8h|
|Stockholm – Luleå/Kiruna/Narvik||11h10|
|Gothenburg – Luleå/Kiruna/Narvik||19h45|
|Stockholm – Oslo (summer season only)||8h|
|Malmö – Berlin (not during winter time)||7h|
|Malmö – Oslo (summer season only)||7h30|
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- Swedish Night Trains tickets are open for booking 90 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Receive your ticket directly to your address. Just take them with you and you are ready to travel. Shipping fees apply.
Seat reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Experience the service
Gothenburg and Stockholm stations are well equipped for the traveller with abundant shops and restaurants, but if you are travelling in first class you can relax in the SJ Night train lounges found at these stations. The lounges have snacks and refreshments, wifi internet access and helpful staff to answer any queries.All passengers travelling from Stockholm, Malmö or Åre should check in well before the departure time of their train.
OnboardThe Swedish Night Train has four classes of service to choose from. For a cabin on your own, the best option is Sleeper Deluxe Single. First class sleepers also offer privacy and washrooms and WCs while second class Sleepers are two or three bed cabins. For those who don’t mind sharing with more people the couchette is good value for money sleeping up to six people. All classes are served breakfast, lunch and dinner. The international service from Malmo to Berlin has just two classes – sleeper cabins and couchette and does not operate during winter.
|First class||First class||Second class||Second class|
|Carrier’s designationName of class of service as you might see on your ticket. small>||Sleeper single deluxe||1st class sleepers||2nd class sleepers||2nd class seats|
|1-bed cabin Ample space for a very comfortable ride. small>|
|2-bed cabin) Ample space for a very comfortable ride in the Double deluxe cabin. small>|
|Private bathroom Freshen up with a shower or use the WC for more convenience. small>|
|Shared bathroom Freshen up or use the WC for more convenience. small>|
|2 or 3-bed cabin Ample space for a very comfortable ride. small>|
|6-bed cabin The best way for a very comfortable ride in the company of friends or other fellow travellers in the Couchette compartments. small>|
|Sheet, sleeping bag and blanket Travel on a budget, yet comfortably. small>|
|Restaurant car Drinks, snacks and delicious meals, to make the most of your trip. small>|
|Breakfast The most important meal of the day for a memorable experience. small>|
Interactive Rail Map
- A. Showers facilities are generally not offered on trains in Europe.
- A. In some cases. Normally, your bicycle must be boxed and placed in a separate car, or it might have to be transported on a separate train. Extra charges may apply, and you must arrange bike transport locally. Bikes are allowed as checked luggage on the EC, IC, ICE, and TGV trains. The bike must be wrapped, with the wheels and pedals detached, and the handlebars parallel to the frame.
- A. Heathrow Express arrives in London's Paddington Station.
- A. Train stations in Europe are very accessible and easy to find. Although the physical train station addresses are generally not listed, the stations are centrally located within the city and accessible with the cities public transportation system or taxi. Check with hotel concierge to give you the best directions from your hotel. Taxi drivers know how to get your to your station fast and worry free.
Q. On Eurostar, what are the differences between the Business Premier, Leisure Select, and Standard Classes of service?A. Business Premier class is dedicated to serving the business traveler with its superior service. Business travelers can expect a nonsmoking car, fast lane check-in, use of the Executive Lounges, breakfast or a 3-course lunch or dinner with choice of entrée and wine, complimentary drink, newspapers, Wifi access in the terminal and lap top sockets on board the train. Leisure Select tickets provide complimentary food (including a 3-course dinner), beverages, and newspapers while you relax in your reclining seat. Full Fare tickets gives you access to the Eurostar Lounge. Standard Class offers comfort, convenience, and value. Enjoy the bar car, or purchase snacks and refreshments from the trolley cart when it comes to your seat.
- A. A Swiss Pass enables you to travel free of charge in the Swiss public transport services for periods ranging from four days to one month in 41 cities.
- A. A "point to point ticket" is a rail ticket valid on a specific route, between two city stations whereas a Eurail Select Pass offers unlimited travel in 3 to 5 adjoining countries on a total list of 24 countries. The Eurail Select Pass allows you to save money if travelling mainly by train from one country to another.
- A. In order to accommodate a group of 5 travelers, you will need to do 2 separate requests. You have the following options: * 2 passengers in a double, and the other 3 in a T3 compartment (if offered). * 4 passengers in a T4 (if offered) and 1 passenger in a single. * 4 passengers split into 2 double compartments, and 1 passenger in a single. * Reserve all 5 in a T6 compartment. Options a, b, and c will need to be requested separately as it has been broken down. Option d can be requested all at once.
- A. The minimum check-in time for passengers with Business First tickets is 20 minutes. For passengers boarding ski trains, and passengers holding regular tickets, check-in time is 30 minutes.
- A. No. You need to buy your Eurail Italy pass before travelling to Europe. Just remember that Eurail passes, including Eurail Italy pass, can be bought up to six months in advance of your travel date.
answered | Posted by Sue T. | Comments 0 | Created: 12/01/2015
answered | Posted by Karl L. | Comments 0 | Created: 13/09/2014
answered | Posted by Leong O. | Comments 0 | Created: 09/07/2014
answered | Posted by alan m. | Comments 0 | Created: 08/07/2014
answered | Posted by Roz O. | Comments 2 | Created: 09/06/2014
Reviews & ratings Swedish Night Trains
Overall rating (213)
Overall appreciationExcellent 35% Very good 35% Average 21% Poor 7% Terrible 2%
- "Stockholm to Oslo " Louise m. 08/11/2013
Train was on time and comfortable. Value for money Convenience
- "oslo- bergen" . 25/06/2013
good train - why is comfort class not included in eurail pass onthis trip ??