Swedish Night Trains
- Stockholm - Oslo: 00:00
- Book up to 90 days in advance
- Night trains
- Secure cabins with cozy berths
- Save on accommodation
Swedish Night Trains
Swedish night trains. Travel in Scandinavia to discover Malmö, Gothenburg, Kiruna, Narvik and Stockholm.
Sweden is a beautiful part of Scandinavia and it stretches right up to the North Pole. To cover the vast expanses of stunning countryside, and visit cities such as Gothenburg and Malmo, as well as smaller towns like Luleå, Kiruna and Narvik, the best way to travel is by the SJ Night Train. The trains also run internationally from southern Sweden with a Malmo to Berlin service. The modern high speed trains have cosy sleeper cabins, hearty homely meals and a good selection of wine. The carriages are stylish with Scandinavian design and have a light airy feel. As you travel further into the wilderness the train becomes the perfect cocoon from which to watch the wild world unveil its secrets. As night falls passengers can settle down to a nourishing hot meal or a drink choosing from the seasonal menu in the bistro or head to the 21-seat cinema, where two films are shown each night.
Popular journeys and travel durations
Main destinations for the SJ Night Train include Malmö, Gothenburg, Östersund and Stockholm. There is also a night train to Berlin from Malmo.
|Main routes||Travel time|
|Gothenburg – Åre||13h|
|Stockholm – Åre||8h|
|Malmö – Stockholm||8h|
|Stockholm – Luleå/Kiruna/Narvik||11h10|
|Gothenburg – Luleå/Kiruna/Narvik||19h45|
|Stockholm – Oslo (summer season only)||8h|
|Malmö – Berlin (not during winter time)||7h|
|Malmö – Oslo (summer season only)||7h30|
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- Swedish Night Trains tickets are open for booking 90 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Receive your ticket directly to your address. Just take them with you and you are ready to travel. Shipping fees apply.
Seat reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Experience the service
Before you board
Gothenburg and Stockholm stations are well equipped for the traveller with abundant shops and restaurants, but if you are travelling in first class you can relax in the SJ Night train lounges found at these stations. The lounges have snacks and refreshments, wifi internet access and helpful staff to answer any queries.All passengers travelling from Stockholm, Malmö or Åre should check in well before the departure time of their train.
OnboardThe Swedish Night Train has four classes of service to choose from. For a cabin on your own, the best option is Sleeper Deluxe Single. First class sleepers also offer privacy and washrooms and WCs while second class Sleepers are two or three bed cabins. For those who don’t mind sharing with more people the couchette is good value for money sleeping up to six people. All classes are served breakfast, lunch and dinner. The international service from Malmo to Berlin has just two classes – sleeper cabins and couchette and does not operate during winter.
|First class||First class||Second class||Second class|
|Carrier’s designationName of class of service as you might see on your ticket. small>||Sleeper single deluxe||1st class sleepers||2nd class sleepers||2nd class seats|
|1-bed cabin Ample space for a very comfortable ride. small>|
|2-bed cabin) Ample space for a very comfortable ride in the Double deluxe cabin. small>|
|Private bathroom Freshen up with a shower or use the WC for more convenience. small>|
|Shared bathroom Freshen up or use the WC for more convenience. small>|
|2 or 3-bed cabin Ample space for a very comfortable ride. small>|
|6-bed cabin The best way for a very comfortable ride in the company of friends or other fellow travellers in the Couchette compartments. small>|
|Sheet, sleeping bag and blanket Travel on a budget, yet comfortably. small>|
|Restaurant car Drinks, snacks and delicious meals, to make the most of your trip. small>|
|Breakfast The most important meal of the day for a memorable experience. small>|
Interactive Rail Map
- A. A passenger qualifies for Senior Fares at age 60 and over.
- A. Eurostar Direct Services can connect you directly from London to Paris, but also Brussels, Lille, Disneyland Paris and on a seasonal basis to Avignon in summer and to the French Alps during winter with a single weekly connection.
Q. Is it possible to travel from Cologne to Brussels by ICE and back by Thalys with a German Rail Pass Extension coupon?A. You can only travel from Cologne to Brussels with ICE trains. The extension is not valid on the Thalys train. There are 4 daily ICE trains between Germany and Belgium.
- A. There is no Senior fare available for Italo trains. However children aged from 4 to 14 have a 25% discount on the full adult fare. As for children under 3 years old, they can travel for free if they do not require any seat.
- A. You will be able to book a Thalys ticket 90 days in advance.
- A. Yes, you may need to make a reservation. All trains that travel internationally will require reservations. All night trains and high-speed trains will require reservations. Most trains in these countries will require reservations: France, Spain, and Italy.
- A. If you board a direct overnight train that departs after 7:00pm, then you use only 1 day on your pass. However, when marking the day of use for that train, be sure to mark the next day's date. If your overnight train requires a train change before midnight, then you will use 2 travel days.
- A. All you'll need is your e-ticket # (found on your confirmation email). Please note: there may be multiple e-ticket # for your itinerary.
- A. The standard of amount of luggage is 2 large items per person. Trains have either overhead storage racks throughout the car, storage room behind the back of your seat or luggage areas at the end of the car. There is no porter service available and all passengers are responsible for putting their own luggage on the train. Note: Luggage kept by the passenger and placed in the luggage racks remains under the sole responsibility of the traveler. The railroads assume no responsibility in case of loss, damage, or theft.
- A. A Swiss Pass enables you to travel free of charge in the Swiss public transport services for periods ranging from four days to one month in 41 cities.
answered | Posted by Sue T. | Comments 0 | Created: 12/01/2015
answered | Posted by Karl L. | Comments 0 | Created: 13/09/2014
answered | Posted by Leong O. | Comments 0 | Created: 09/07/2014
answered | Posted by alan m. | Comments 0 | Created: 08/07/2014
answered | Posted by Roz O. | Comments 2 | Created: 09/06/2014
Reviews & ratings Swedish Night Trains
Overall rating (213)
Overall appreciationExcellent 35% Very good 35% Average 21% Poor 7% Terrible 2%
- "Stockholm to Oslo " Louise m. 08/11/2013
Train was on time and comfortable. Value for money Convenience
- "oslo- bergen" . 25/06/2013
good train - why is comfort class not included in eurail pass onthis trip ??