- Book up to 120 days in advance
- Regional trains
5.5 milliontravellers in 2015
75+years of rail travel experience
TER are regional trains serving every major cities and small towns in France.
Regional trains are known as TER in France, although they are also referred to as local trains. Each region of France operates its own fleet of TER, which stands for Transport Express Régional in French. All trains are operated by the SNCF, the French railway company. TER are modern and comfortable trains, making it the most authentic way to travel from city to city without the need to rush.
Popular journeys and travel durations
|Main routes||Travel time|
|Paris||St Quentin||01:39||AU$ 37|
|Courville Sur Eur||Paris||01:13||AU$ 25|
|Val De Reuil||Paris||01:12||AU$ 27|
|Paris||Bar Le Duc||02:23||AU$ 54|
|Longueil Ste Mari||Paris||00:52||AU$ 19|
|Paris||Le Mans||02:17||AU$ 46|
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- TER tickets are open for booking 120 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Receive your ticket directly to your address. Just take them with you and you are ready to travel. Shipping fees apply.
Print @ home
Print your ticket anywhere and anytime before your travel. Skip shipping fees.
Seat reservation :
- Free placement
Experience the service
TER regional trains serve every train stations in all major cities and smaller towns in France.
|First class||Second class|
|Comfortable seats Spacious seats with a headrest and generous legroom. small>|
|Ergonomic seats Cosy with more legroom, ergonomic seats are ideal to enjoy the trip. small>|
Interactive Rail Map
- A. On-board Eurostar, you are allowed two medium-sized cases (85cm at their longest length), and one piece of hand luggage per passenger. Any luggage over the allowance will be counted as excess luggage and will incur a fee. This will be arranged at the Eurostar terminal on your arrival.
- A. There are no check-in or customs procedures before boarding ICE trains. Just be aware that for international destinations, ticket control and passport checks will occur on boarding the train. And if you are a pass holder, just remember that you have to validate your pass prior to boarding the ICE trains.
- A. Frecciarossa trains offer a full sit-down restaurant service, with a regularly changing menu of traditional Italian dishes. The restaurant is very modern and elegant. Alternatively, Frecciarossa trains also feature a coffee bar service offering fresh sandwiches, snacks, desserts and hot and cold beverages.
- A. TGV Lyria offers direct, high speed services between Paris-Gare de Lyon, Dijon and cities such as Geneva, Lausanne, Basel, Neuchatel, Bern and Zurich. During winter, TGV Lyria snow train connects you directly from Paris to the charming resorts of the canton of Vaud (including Château-d’Oex, Leysin, Les Diablerets and Villars) and Valais (Verbier, CransMontana, Leukerbad, Saas-Fee and Zermatt, among others).
- A. The following items of luggage are accepted at no extra cost on TGV trains and must be stored in the racks provided: hand luggage (suitcases, travel bags, rucksacks); skis in a bag; children’s prams; dismantled bikes in a bag; portable wakeboards in a bag. Also remember that on all French trains, including TGV, it is mandatory to place a tag on each piece of luggage identifying the traveller.
Q. Should Eurostar, Thalys and other High Speed Train tickets be purchased prior to your departure date?A. Many trains such as the Eurostar offer discounted tickets for advance purchase. These fares have limited availability and sell out quickly. To receive the best price on the train you want to travel on you should purchase your tickets prior to your departure so you can avoid fully booked trains.
- A. A Eurail Select Pass offers you unlimited travel on the national rail networks of any 3, 4 or 5 adjoining countries that are connected by train or ship. These countries are to be chosen from a list of 24 participating countries.
- A. Your payment details will be encoded and sent using a secure connection. You can check the security details by clicking with your right mouse button on the payment page and then selecting ‘Properties’. A window will pop up containing all connection data. The ‘Connection’ field shows that an SSL connection is used. Your credit card information, including the number and expiration date, will not be stored.
- A. Taking an overnight train is like adding a touch of adventure to your trip! Depending on the type of compartment you reserve, you will either be bunking with new found friends, or sharing a private room with your travel companions. Remember, you are on a train so the amount of space in each overnight compartment is not overwhelming. If you have booked a private sleeper, you will have more room to move around in and store your belongings. Please note that on some overnight trains you can expect to have your passports collected by railway officials on the train. This is primarily for your security. Your passport will be guarded overnight and then returned to you in the morning.
- A. No you can’t. You need to buy your Swiss pass before coming to Europe.
What train pass will i need for intra spain, paris to belgium to the netherlands and then intra netherlands?I want to travel through Spain - Barcelona to Valencia, Valencia to Madrid, Madrid to Seville. Then I want to travel from Paris, (...)
answered | Posted by fay p. | Comments 2 | Created: 09/04/2017
answered | Posted by Michael D. | Comments 0 | Created: 07/04/2017
answered | Posted by Martin N. | Comments 0 | Created: 27/03/2017
answered | Posted by Kerrie S. | Comments 0 | Created: 14/03/2017
answered | Posted by Sampath R. | Comments 0 | Created: 12/03/2017
Reviews & ratings TER
Overall appreciationExcellent % Very good % Average % Poor % Terrible %
- "Easy arrangements" Margaret k. 14/01/2017
Rail Europe website easy to use. Was a bit anxious that there was only 16 minutes break between connection ting train on different platform - made it by 2 minutes as first train was late - but made it! Would have preferred to have larger gap, but all worked out ok. Value for money Convenience
- "French regional train" . 11/01/2017
Paper ticket. Regional train a bit overcrowded because of holiday season. Pleasant enough otherwise.
- "Straightforward trip" . 11/01/2017
Easy booking but paper ticket issued in this instance. 2bd class train was comfortable with pleasant coastal views en route.
- "A short but memorable trip" Kenneth g. 31/12/2016
This was a short but important sector of a longer trip. We were completely satisfied. Value for money Convenience
- "Transfer" Desmond g. 14/12/2016
Comfortable and quick Value for money Convenience
- "Train" Michael t. 28/11/2016
Good reliable service. Value for money Convenience
- "Rail" Michael t. 20/11/2016
Great trip - easy travel centre to centre. Value for money Convenience
- "Narbonne to Carcassonne" Jane r. 03/11/2016
There was no lift at Narbonne Station which meant hauling a suitcase down a flight of steps and then up another flight to the platform for the onward rail journey. Also having done that I had to leave my cases in care of strangers to return to the ticket office to insert my ticket into the little yellow machine. Not terribly convenient. There was no signage in any language except French. Value for money Convenience
- "Brugge - Kortruk Train." Janis w. 02/11/2016
Straightforward, efficient way of travelling across the country. Value for money Convenience
- "Very useful" Paul j. 28/10/2016
Much better than driving to Paris . Easy access to taxi at Montparnasse Value for money Convenience
- "My First TER" Geoffrey h. 21/10/2016
The journey was great, unfortunately the train was late, so a group going on to St Jean Pied de Port arrived at Bayonne after the last train to St Jean, but a bus was provided, so all was well. Value for money Convenience
- "Easy trip to France" Laura m. 20/10/2016
This was the second leg of our trip to Lyon and it was an easy way to get to France from Milan. The train was on time and very comfortable. Value for money Convenience
- "Good Service" Ann h. 17/10/2016
Good service for a regional train, plenty of room and reasonably quiet Value for money Convenience
- "L’Oc Parfum" Raymond j. 14/10/2016
Swift and on time journey with comfort and quiet in carriage. Value for money Convenience
- "Travel in comfort and style" Peter h. 14/10/2016
The convenience and comfort of travelling by rail is amazing. Easy access to stations and clear information regarding trains, time and booking. Always centrally located. Trains are spacious in allocation of seating area and storage of luggage. Very clean and extremely helpful staff. Value for money Convenience