- Book up to 120 days in advance
- Regional trains
travellers in 2015
years of rail travel experience
TER are regional trains serving every major cities and small towns in France.
Regional trains are known as TER in France, although they are also referred to as local trains. Each region of France operates its own fleet of TER, which stands for Transport Express Régional in French. All trains are operated by the SNCF, the French railway company. TER are modern and comfortable trains, making it the most authentic way to travel from city to city without the need to rush.
Popular journeys and travel durations
|Main routes||Travel time|
|Chalon Sur Saone||Paris||03:44||AU$ 78|
|Paris||Verneuil Sur Avre||01:08||AU$ 30|
|Le Mans||Paris||02:17||AU$ 50|
|Nogent Le Rotrou||Paris||01:39||AU$ 38|
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- TER tickets are open for booking 120 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Receive your ticket directly to your address. Just take them with you and you are ready to travel. Shipping fees apply.
Print @ home
Print your ticket anywhere and anytime before your travel. Skip shipping fees.
Seat reservation :
- Free placement
Experience the service
Before you board
TER regional trains serve every train stations in all major cities and smaller towns in France.
|First class||Second class|
|Comfortable seats Spacious seats with a headrest and generous legroom. small>|
|Ergonomic seats Cosy with more legroom, ergonomic seats are ideal to enjoy the trip. small>|
Interactive Rail Map
Q. Is it possible to travel from Cologne to Brussels by ICE and back by Thalys with a German Rail Pass Extension coupon?A. You can only travel from Cologne to Brussels with ICE trains. The extension is not valid on the Thalys train. There are 4 daily ICE trains between Germany and Belgium.
- A. Children 4 and under who do not need a bed travel free and do not require a sleeper reservation or a ticket. If the child is between the ages of 4 - 11 or is under 4 but will require a separate bed, then a special child's fare will apply.
- A. The minimum check-in time for passengers with Business First tickets is 20 minutes. For passengers boarding ski trains, and passengers holding regular tickets, check-in time is 30 minutes.
- A. Also known as the red train, Thalys trains link Paris to the gems of Northern Europe: Brussels in 1 hour and 22 minutes, Amsterdam in 3 hours and 18 minutes, and Cologne in 3 hours and 14 minutes. On a seasonal basis (from the end of December till mid - April), Thalys Snow travels from Brussels Midi to the ski resorts in Chambéry, Albertville, Moutiers, Aime-la-Plagne, Landry and Bourg-St-Maurice, every Saturday without any stops.
- A. Travel from London - Paris/Brussels and most of the train stations in between these 2 routes. For more detailed information on how to use a Eurostar self service kiosk review: How do I retrieve my e-tickets at Eurostar train stations ?
- A. In order to accommodate a group of 5 travelers, you will need to do 2 separate requests. You have the following options: * 2 passengers in a double, and the other 3 in a T3 compartment (if offered). * 4 passengers in a T4 (if offered) and 1 passenger in a single. * 4 passengers split into 2 double compartments, and 1 passenger in a single. * Reserve all 5 in a T6 compartment. Options a, b, and c will need to be requested separately as it has been broken down. Option d can be requested all at once.
- A. Eurostar journeys can be booked up to 6 months in advance of the return date of travel. Eurostar Direct services to Disneyland Resort Paris have a longer booking period and are made available further in advance. And Eurostar Direct seasonal services to the French Alps and Avignon are opened for sale for the entire season.
- A. You can make reservations to travel on TGV Lyria trains up to 3 months before your travel date. To take advantage of the best fares, always try to buy your ticket as early as possible. And when buying your TGV Lyria tickets, check what exchange and refund conditions apply. Your fare type will be clearly stated on your ticket.
- A. To find them you only need to fill in the booking form. This is located on the home page or in the Train Tickets section. Provide us with the cities you would like to travel between and your travel date. A selection of schedules will be displayed. Select later train to see more schedules.
- A. A travel day lasts 24 hours, in which you can take as many trains or public transport services as you wish.
answered | Posted by Michael L. | Comments 2 | Created: 28/11/2016
answered | Posted by Caitlin D. | Comments 0 | Created: 01/11/2016
answered | Posted by Jessie H. | Comments 0 | Created: 28/10/2016
answered | Posted by Paul O. | Comments 0 | Created: 09/10/2016
answered | Posted by Cindy E. | Comments 0 | Created: 07/10/2016
Reviews & ratings TER
Overall appreciationExcellent % Very good % Average % Poor % Terrible %
- "Train" Michael t. 28/11/2016
Good reliable service. Value for money Convenience
- "Rail" Michael t. 20/11/2016
Great trip - easy travel centre to centre. Value for money Convenience
- "Narbonne to Carcassonne" Jane r. 03/11/2016
There was no lift at Narbonne Station which meant hauling a suitcase down a flight of steps and then up another flight to the platform for the onward rail journey. Also having done that I had to leave my cases in care of strangers to return to the ticket office to insert my ticket into the little yellow machine. Not terribly convenient. There was no signage in any language except French. Value for money Convenience
- "Brugge - Kortruk Train." Janis w. 02/11/2016
Straightforward, efficient way of travelling across the country. Value for money Convenience
- "Very useful" Paul j. 28/10/2016
Much better than driving to Paris . Easy access to taxi at Montparnasse Value for money Convenience
- "My First TER" Geoffrey h. 21/10/2016
The journey was great, unfortunately the train was late, so a group going on to St Jean Pied de Port arrived at Bayonne after the last train to St Jean, but a bus was provided, so all was well. Value for money Convenience
- "Easy trip to France" Laura m. 20/10/2016
This was the second leg of our trip to Lyon and it was an easy way to get to France from Milan. The train was on time and very comfortable. Value for money Convenience
- "Good Service" Ann h. 17/10/2016
Good service for a regional train, plenty of room and reasonably quiet Value for money Convenience
- "L’Oc Parfum" Raymond j. 14/10/2016
Swift and on time journey with comfort and quiet in carriage. Value for money Convenience
- "Travel in comfort and style" Peter h. 14/10/2016
The convenience and comfort of travelling by rail is amazing. Easy access to stations and clear information regarding trains, time and booking. Always centrally located. Trains are spacious in allocation of seating area and storage of luggage. Very clean and extremely helpful staff. Value for money Convenience
- "Okay" Litza v. 10/10/2016
Once you try first class you are spoilt. This was fine. Value for money Convenience
- "2 out of 3 ain’t bad" Barbara t. 10/10/2016
Unlike our other trips, this train seemed to have less leg room - a major issue for those who are 1.8m tall. We had to change at Mulhouse Ville and, with no guidance, we were at the wrong end of our next train when it arrived, which was challenging. Our other two train journeys were both excellent though. Value for money Convenience
- "Great train trip" Patricia k. 08/10/2016
We purchased tickets online through Rail Europe. Tickets were delivered promptly in the mail. Train travel in France is relatively easy, reliable and comfortable. Also, quite reasonably priced. I would certainly recommend dealing with Rail Europe to others. Value for money Convenience
- "Connecting trip" Jason m. 05/10/2016
Nothing flash but was safe trip on clean train in comfortable seating Value for money Convenience
- "Train travel" . 03/10/2016
All our trips on rail we excellent,trains were clean and comfortable seating.Easy to negotiate and find platforms