- Paris - Nice: 05:36
- Book early, save up to 60%
- Book up to 90 days in advance
- High speed trains
TGV, high speed trains, serving 1,400 destinations in France.
France’s Train à Grande Vitesse, or TGV as it is better known, is the high speed train operated by SNCF, which has been tearing across the length and breadth of France and beyond since 1981. The TGV is the flagship of France railway service. The high speed train travels at a speed of up to 320km/h and allow travellers to reach over a thousand destination in Europe. The TGV trains are stylish and modern. The interior of the latest TGV has been designed by Christian Lacroix. The TGV Duplex (double-decker) trains operates on some routes.
Popular journeys and travel durations
The TGV is the best way to get around and see the diversity of France. It serves both main cities and smaller towns in France and also connects France with Belgium, Switzerland and Germany in a fast and efficient way.
|Nice||Paris Cdg Airport||06:36||AU$ 180|
|Paris Cdg Airport||Brussels||01:13||AU$ 129|
|Avignon||Paris Cdg Airport||03:10||AU$ 48|
|Paris Cdg Airport||Lyon||01:59||AU$ 40|
|Marseille||Paris Cdg Airport||03:47||AU$ 48|
|Bordeaux||Paris Cdg Airport||04:10||AU$ 59|
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- TGV tickets are open for booking 90 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Receive your ticket directly to your address. Just take them with you and you are ready to travel. Shipping fees apply.
Print @ home
Print your ticket anywhere and anytime before your travel. Skip shipping fees.
Print @ Station (from France)
Go to a self-service ticket machine and enter your reference to retrieve your ticket. Skip shipping fees.
Seat reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
For anyone visiting France the TGV will soon become part of your incredible journey. The TGV trains take passengers all over the French countryside to 150 towns and cities in comfort, style and at high speed.
Experience the service
Before you board
Many of the TGV stations are architecturally outstanding; if you have time go outside and take a look at the exteriors.Before you board the train, validate your train ticket in the yellow stamp machines which are found on the platforms of all train stations in France.
OnboardThe TGV offers three classes of service. All passengers will benefit from a restaurant car serving hot and cold drinks and snacks, comfortable seats and friendly staff. There is also a family area for children to play games. For a little more luxury, first class passengers will also benefit from reclining chairs and power sockets at seat.
|First class||Second class|
|Bar buffet car Access to the bar buffet car where snacks and beverages can be bought. small>|
|Family area Seats are separated from the rest of the compartment, with foldable table and space for kids. small>|
|Comfortable seats Spacious seats with a headrest and generous legroom. small>|
|Reclining seats Cosy with more legroom, reclining seats are ideal to enjoy the trip. small>|
|Power sockets Ideal to plug your laptop, phone or any electronic device from your seat. small>|
|Taxi reservation Pre-book a taxi and don’t waste time when you get off at your destination. For holders of a 1st class Plus ticket only. small>|
- Fashion king Christian Lacroix designed the interiors of the newest TGV trains, so expect to be impressed.
- On some routes, the double-decker TGV Duplex trains offer an even better view of the passing countryside whilst at high speed.
- With the TGV, only the train goes at high speed: you travel in peace and quiet with your family and benefit from the comfort of large seats and all of the services onboard. Upgrade to first class!
For speed, comfort and travelling in style forget heading to the airport. The TGV trains offer everything you need for an enjoyable hassle-free trip around Europe.
Interactive Rail Map
- A. Reservation is compulsory on TGV and if you are a pass holder, you still need to buy a TGV ticket. Among the passes available on TGV, you’ll be able to choose between Eurail Global, Eurail Select Pass or Eurail two country pass including France. France Rail Pass and France Rail Pass Premium are also among the possible options and offer last minute Easy Access reservations.
- A. You will be able to book your TGV tickets 90 days in advance.
- A. TGV offers two different classes of travel: 1st and 2nd class. Larger seats that recline electronically, power sockets for laptop or mobile phone and access to the bar buffet car are among the main features you will find in TGV first class. In second class, you will enjoy comfortable seats with also an access to the bar-buffet car where you can choose from a vast selection of dishes and beverages.
- A. First class on the TGV Medoffers large comfortable reclining seats and a bar-buffet car offering a selection of food and beverages for purchase. Second class on the TGV Med offers generous legroom and a bar-buffet car offering a selection of food and beverages for purchase.
- A. TGV trains offer high-speed train services connecting the major cities of France. Paris is 58 minutes from Lille, and Bordeaux is just under 3 hours from the French capital. Travel time between Paris and Marseille is 3 hours. And if you want to get to Strasbourg, it will take you only 2 hours and 20 minutes from Paris by TGV.
- A. There are no check-in or customs procedures before boarding TGV trains. However, you must be onboard at the latest 2 minutes prior to the departure time, beyond which access to the train cannot be guaranteed. Ticket control and passport checks will occur on board the train.
- A. You can print your TGV ticket directly from your printer at home or retrieve it from the self-service machines available at the train stations before boarding your TGV train.
Q. Should Eurostar, Thalys and other High Speed Train tickets be purchased prior to your departure date?A. Many trains such as the Eurostar offer discounted tickets for advance purchase. These fares have limited availability and sell out quickly. To receive the best price on the train you want to travel on you should purchase your tickets prior to your departure so you can avoid fully booked trains.
- A. First class on the TGV offers large comfortable reclining seats and a bar-buffet car offering a selection of food and beverages for purchase. When Premier service is offered for this train the service includes meal service and access to the TGV lounge at the train stations. Second class on the TGV Med offers generous legroom and a bar-buffet car offering a selection of food and beverages for purchase.
- A. The following items of luggage are accepted at no extra cost on TGV trains and must be stored in the racks provided: hand luggage (suitcases, travel bags, rucksacks); skis in a bag; children’s prams; dismantled bikes in a bag; portable wakeboards in a bag. Also remember that on all French trains, including TGV, it is mandatory to place a tag on each piece of luggage identifying the traveller.
answered | Posted by Deborah B. | Comments 0 | Created: 27/05/2016
answered | Posted by Peter M. | Comments 0 | Created: 22/05/2016
answered | Posted by Nerida P. | Comments 0 | Created: 14/05/2016
answered | Posted by Karen O. | Comments 0 | Created: 10/05/2016
answered | Posted by Peter G. | Comments 3 | Created: 09/05/2016
Reviews & ratings TGV
Overall rating (1783)
Overall appreciationExcellent 40% Very good 35% Average 18% Poor 4% Terrible 3%
- "Comfortable and affordable" Jamie s. 27/05/2016
We had a great trip between Paris and Lyon. The seats were clean and comfortable, and we had heaps of space. The only thing we could complain about was the crush of people on the platform upon departure. Value for money Convenience
- "Panic" Ann s. 26/05/2016
On the morning of the 16th I checked the Rail Europe site to discover the statement "This train has already departed" Lots of checking followed We are travelling today and that message is there again Perhaps something could be done about it Value for money Convenience
- "Paris to Lille" Janine f. 26/05/2016
The trip was quick and comfortable. The biggest hurdle is carrying suitcases. The platforms are long, there are always steps into the trains and limited storage space. if you are going to do a lot of train travel, seriously consider the type of bag you will be using. Value for money Convenience
- "Paris to Avignon" Robin s. 25/05/2016
The train service to Avigon was fast, efficient and on time. There was a great choice of times available. Value for money Convenience
- "First class travel" Frances s. 25/05/2016
Great trip but found that the leg room in First Class was a bit tight and kept bumping the feet of the person facing me. Value for money Convenience
- "Bordeaux St Jean - Airport CDG" Judith c. 25/05/2016
A great journey we chose 1st class and was worth it! We shared a cabin that was half capacity with a very large and clean bathroom near by. The cabin was immaculate and very comfortable , the weather let us down so the scenery was limited but never the less a comfortable trip , and the convenience arriving at CDG airport. Convenience
- "A lot of kilometers in a short" Michael g. 23/05/2016
Wonderful way to travel a long distance in comfort and safety. Effortless transport with convenience to deliver you to the heart of Paris. Value for money Convenience
- "Ok" . 23/05/2016
Train was good and on time. No issues
- "My trip to Bordeau" Caroline d. 23/05/2016
On time, excellent service, though could do with more people working in the bar/cafe Value for money Convenience
- "paris to lyon" Stephen b. 23/05/2016
so easy and cheap Value for money Convenience
- "Great Train , Great Scenery" Peter g. 21/05/2016
Excellent journey with a comfortable seat Value for money Convenience
- "tgv review" Franz z. 21/05/2016
great trip, great value for money, a magnificient way to travel in europe and a great company to deal with. thank you. Value for money Convenience
- "Good trip" Paul f. 21/05/2016
We travelled from Paris to Aix-en-Provence where we had a wonderful few days. We couldn't manage to print our ticket at the self-service booths, but after a quick stop to the helpful SCNF information team, and they printed them out. The trains were newish, clean, comfortable, and on-time. Announcements are only made in French, but that was ok. Overall a good experience with RailEurope and the TGV. Value for money Convenience
- "Punctuality" Tracey b. 21/05/2016
Train arrived in Paris 1 hour late. Over 20 minutes delay starting and another 40 minutes on the track. Value for money Convenience
- "Comfortable and efficient" Karen t. 20/05/2016
Caught the train from Paris to Lyon and was happy with the punctuality and comfort (1st class ticket). Disappointing that in this day and age there was no wifi but that is a small issue. Would definitely recommend as a fast way to get to Lyon. Value for money Convenience