- Paris - Nice: 05:36
- Book early, save up to 60%
- Book up to 90 days in advance
- High speed trains
TGV, high speed trains, serving 1,400 destinations in France.
France’s Train à Grande Vitesse, or TGV as it is better known, is the high speed train operated by SNCF, which has been tearing across the length and breadth of France and beyond since 1981. The TGV is the flagship of France railway service. The high speed train travels at a speed of up to 320km/h and allow travellers to reach over a thousand destination in Europe. The TGV trains are stylish and modern. The interior of the latest TGV has been designed by Christian Lacroix. The TGV Duplex (double-decker) trains operates on some routes.
Popular journeys and travel durations
The TGV is the best way to get around and see the diversity of France. It serves both main cities and smaller towns in France and also connects France with Belgium, Switzerland and Germany in a fast and efficient way.
|Paris Cdg Airport||Nice||06:35||AU$ 164|
|Paris Cdg Airport||Brussels||01:13||AU$ 127|
|Avignon||Paris Cdg Airport||03:10||AU$ 47|
|Lyon||Paris Cdg Airport||02:01||AU$ 47|
|Paris Cdg Airport||Marseille||03:45||AU$ 63|
|Bordeaux||Paris Cdg Airport||04:10||AU$ 58|
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- TGV tickets are open for booking 90 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Receive your ticket directly to your address. Just take them with you and you are ready to travel. Shipping fees apply.
Print @ home
Print your ticket anywhere and anytime before your travel. Skip shipping fees.
Print @ Station (from France)
Go to a self-service ticket machine and enter your reference to retrieve your ticket. Skip shipping fees.
Seat reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
For anyone visiting France the TGV will soon become part of your incredible journey. The TGV trains take passengers all over the French countryside to 150 towns and cities in comfort, style and at high speed.
Experience the service
Before you board
Many of the TGV stations are architecturally outstanding; if you have time go outside and take a look at the exteriors.Before you board the train, validate your train ticket in the yellow stamp machines which are found on the platforms of all train stations in France.
OnboardThe TGV offers three classes of service. All passengers will benefit from a restaurant car serving hot and cold drinks and snacks, comfortable seats and friendly staff. There is also a family area for children to play games. For a little more luxury, first class passengers will also benefit from reclining chairs and power sockets at seat.
|First class||Second class|
|Bar buffet car Access to the bar buffet car where snacks and beverages can be bought. small>|
|Family area Seats are separated from the rest of the compartment, with foldable table and space for kids. small>|
|Comfortable seats Spacious seats with a headrest and generous legroom. small>|
|Reclining seats Cosy with more legroom, reclining seats are ideal to enjoy the trip. small>|
|Power sockets Ideal to plug your laptop, phone or any electronic device from your seat. small>|
|Taxi reservation Pre-book a taxi and don’t waste time when you get off at your destination. For holders of a 1st class Plus ticket only. small>|
- Fashion king Christian Lacroix designed the interiors of the newest TGV trains, so expect to be impressed.
- On some routes, the double-decker TGV Duplex trains offer an even better view of the passing countryside whilst at high speed.
- With the TGV, only the train goes at high speed: you travel in peace and quiet with your family and benefit from the comfort of large seats and all of the services onboard. Upgrade to first class!
For speed, comfort and travelling in style forget heading to the airport. The TGV trains offer everything you need for an enjoyable hassle-free trip around Europe.
Interactive Rail Map
- A. You can print your TGV ticket directly from your printer at home or retrieve it from the self-service machines available at the train stations before boarding your TGV train.
- A. TGV trains offer high-speed train services connecting the major cities of France. Paris is 58 minutes from Lille, and Bordeaux is just under 3 hours from the French capital. Travel time between Paris and Marseille is 3 hours. And if you want to get to Strasbourg, it will take you only 2 hours and 20 minutes from Paris by TGV.
- A. TGV offers two different classes of travel: 1st and 2nd class. Larger seats that recline electronically, power sockets for laptop or mobile phone and access to the bar buffet car are among the main features you will find in TGV first class. In second class, you will enjoy comfortable seats with also an access to the bar-buffet car where you can choose from a vast selection of dishes and beverages.
- A. First class on the TGV Medoffers large comfortable reclining seats and a bar-buffet car offering a selection of food and beverages for purchase. Second class on the TGV Med offers generous legroom and a bar-buffet car offering a selection of food and beverages for purchase.
- A. First class on the TGV offers large comfortable reclining seats and a bar-buffet car offering a selection of food and beverages for purchase. When Premier service is offered for this train the service includes meal service and access to the TGV lounge at the train stations. Second class on the TGV Med offers generous legroom and a bar-buffet car offering a selection of food and beverages for purchase.
Q. Should Eurostar, Thalys and other High Speed Train tickets be purchased prior to your departure date?A. Many trains such as the Eurostar offer discounted tickets for advance purchase. These fares have limited availability and sell out quickly. To receive the best price on the train you want to travel on you should purchase your tickets prior to your departure so you can avoid fully booked trains.
- A. You will be able to book your TGV tickets 90 days in advance.
- A. TGV trains offer a buffet car where you can find a vast choice of hot and cold meals. Drinks and snacks are also available at vending machines on all TGV trains. You are also allowed to bring your own food and drink onto the train.
- A. Reservation is compulsory on TGV and if you are a pass holder, you still need to buy a TGV ticket. Among the passes available on TGV, you’ll be able to choose between Eurail Global, Eurail Select Pass or Eurail two country pass including France. France Rail Pass and France Rail Pass Premium are also among the possible options and offer last minute Easy Access reservations.
- A. The following items of luggage are accepted at no extra cost on TGV trains and must be stored in the racks provided: hand luggage (suitcases, travel bags, rucksacks); skis in a bag; children’s prams; dismantled bikes in a bag; portable wakeboards in a bag. Also remember that on all French trains, including TGV, it is mandatory to place a tag on each piece of luggage identifying the traveller.
answered | Posted by Bernard S. | Comments 2 | Created: 17/10/2016
answered | Posted by Thomas M. | Comments 0 | Created: 30/09/2016
answered | Posted by Shelley W. | Comments 0 | Created: 18/09/2016
Our 1st class eurail global pass no is 37130723. i am unable to book seats onlin - amsterdam-paris-santiago de (...)Our 1st class Eurail Global Pass No is 37130723. We wish to booking for Amsterdam-Paris-Santiago de Compostela-Lisbon-Madrid-Barcelona-
answered | Posted by Ramaswsamy N. | Comments 0 | Created: 29/08/2016
answered | Posted by Jeff S. | Comments 0 | Created: 28/08/2016
Reviews & ratings TGV
Overall rating (1783)
Overall appreciationExcellent 40% Very good 35% Average 18% Poor 4% Terrible 3%
- "Train trip to Paris" Shelagh v. 20/10/2016
The trip from Hendaye to Paris was very enjoyable. The comfortable carriage was quiet, even with the presence of a young family group, and the scenery was interesting along the way. The buffet car was adequate and the facilities were clean. I was very pleased with the convenience and ease with which I was able to travel to Paris from that area of Spain . Value for money Convenience
- "BOOK VERY EARLY FOR BEST PRICE" Vivienne g. 20/10/2016
Very happy As not used to catching any trains and these stations are enormous Best tip,is that your train departure details will only show on the board approximately 20 minutes before. This will then give you eg north or South station and the platform number. Give yourself plenty of time as it might be a long way. Seat numbers are also a bit odd but the cabin number will be accurate. Value for money Convenience
- "Wheelchair passenger" John t. 19/10/2016
My wife had broken her leg AFTER we had booked. From the staff at Bezier to the staff on the train to the support at Gare du Lyon the assistance and help was fantastic. Your approach to helping make our trip enjoyable could not be faulted. Was excellent. Thank you PS BUT - for some reason the buffet car had NO items so that was a bit of a let down Value for money Convenience
- "Great way to travel" . 17/10/2016
We had spent a couple of day in Paris after flying from Melbourne Australia making our way to Saint Genis des Fontaines. Really enjoyed the train trip....no hastle, easy to do....relaxing. Only challenge was getting into the buffet car to get food and drink. Would highly recommend this as a great travel option ... in fact we are going back to Paris very early next month the same way...this is a practical real world endorsement of the service.
- "My Trip by train" . 17/10/2016
I really enjoyed travelling by train through Italy. If one is prepared to spend extra time by sourcing information from people, not always easy when one does not spend any Italian. I found that just sitting on the train with locals and people watching very rewarding, I am so glad that I did not choose "easier" option of flying. Lyn
- "Which Bordeaux Platform" Greg s. 17/10/2016
I appreciate that Bordeaux St Jean is currently under reconstruction but because of poor/incorrect platform indications I missed my booked train and almost missed the following (4 hours later!) train. Very stressful. Value for money Convenience
- "Short and sweet" Valerie c. 16/10/2016
This was a fairly short trip and the train was punctual, seats clearly marked and space for luggage. Very comfortable. Value for money Convenience
- "TGV" Edward c. 16/10/2016
RailEurope service was perfect; train schedule was correct, tickets printed scanned correctly with no dramas. The TGV train itself hasn't got much luggage space, but luckily we were the 1st on the train so managed to get some space. Otherwise all good:) Arrival station is directly under the CdG terminal 2, very convenient, provided the lifts/escalators are working correct, which they weren't but no fault of RailEurope! Value for money Convenience
- "Noisy" Richard w. 15/10/2016
A drinking session and rowdy passengers in the next few seats spoiled the journey Value for money Convenience
- "TGV Lyon St Exupery to Paris" Trevor s. 14/10/2016
A convenient and fast way to get to Paris from Lyon, without the hassle of driving. The Lyon St Exupery TGV station is spectacular but a little daunting. Without the help of the person in the SNCF office, we would not have caught the train on time. Regular users obviously know what to do and what part of the platform to wait on, but novice travellers need some guidance either at the station or on a website to help them identify where their carriage will stop on the long platform. Even when on the platform, notification on the screens of which section (A,B,c etc) would correspond to your carriage number came quite late. For people with a mobility issue, that is a real problem, particularly when only one lift at one end of the platform is working. Value for money Convenience
- "Train from CDG to Lille" Joyce d. 14/10/2016
My husband had just had a bad accident in CDG and seriously hurt his arm. When we had to get in the train there was no one to help with our cases nor anywhere to store them on the train for the 1 hour journey. Very uncomfortable trip with 2 big bags squashed into our seats. Value for money Convenience
- "Fast Train" Mark g. 13/10/2016
Pleasant journey from Bordeaux back to Paris. Seats were easy to find, plentiful space for luggage and train left and arrived on time. First class seats are near to the bar area for refreshments Value for money Convenience
- "Paris to Avignon return on TGV" Sharlene h. 12/10/2016
The train was very clean and comfortable. Although there was limited baggage space in our carriage everyone's bags fitted. The trip was excellent value for money - first class seats were more spacious and the time it took to get to and from Paris was amazing - I wish we had TGVs in Australia. It was very convenient with a number of services through out the day at peak travel times. No issues at all with the trip - well worth considering. Value for money Convenience
- "Dijon to Paris" Judith c. 11/10/2016
Excellent train. Clean and fast. No problems with booking it ahead of time from Australia. Everything explained clearly with the booking and ticket collections. Value for money Convenience
- "Relaxing" Litza v. 10/10/2016
Enjoyed the relaxing trip to Besancon. Very comfortable and enjoyable way to travel. Value for money Convenience