Europe Summer Sales: Great deals to tour Europe!
Save up to AU$ 90 on your booking and enjoy a wonderful summertime in Europe!
- Paris - Nice: 05:36
- Book early, save up to 60%
- Book up to 90 days in advance
- High speed trains
TGV, high speed trains, serving 1,400 destinations in France.
France’s Train à Grande Vitesse, or TGV as it is better known, is the high speed train operated by SNCF, which has been tearing across the length and breadth of France and beyond since 1981. The TGV is the flagship of France railway service. The high speed train travels at a speed of up to 320km/h and allow travellers to reach over a thousand destination in Europe. The TGV trains are stylish and modern. The interior of the latest TGV has been designed by Christian Lacroix. The TGV Duplex (double-decker) trains operates on some routes.
Popular journeys and travel durations
The TGV is the best way to get around and see the diversity of France. It serves both main cities and smaller towns in France and also connects France with Belgium, Switzerland and Germany in a fast and efficient way.
|Paris Cdg Airport||Nice||06:35||AU$ 171|
|Paris Cdg Airport||Brussels||01:13||AU$ 132|
|Avignon||Paris Cdg Airport||03:10||AU$ 49|
|Paris Cdg Airport||Lyon||01:59||AU$ 41|
|Marseille||Paris Cdg Airport||03:47||AU$ 49|
|Bordeaux||Paris Cdg Airport||04:10||AU$ 60|
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- TGV tickets are open for booking 90 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Receive your ticket directly to your address. Just take them with you and you are ready to travel. Shipping fees apply.
Print @ home
Print your ticket anywhere and anytime before your travel. Skip shipping fees.
Print @ Station (from France)
Go to a self-service ticket machine and enter your reference to retrieve your ticket. Skip shipping fees.
Seat reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
For anyone visiting France the TGV will soon become part of your incredible journey. The TGV trains take passengers all over the French countryside to 150 towns and cities in comfort, style and at high speed.
Experience the service
Before you board
Many of the TGV stations are architecturally outstanding; if you have time go outside and take a look at the exteriors.Before you board the train, validate your train ticket in the yellow stamp machines which are found on the platforms of all train stations in France.
OnboardThe TGV offers three classes of service. All passengers will benefit from a restaurant car serving hot and cold drinks and snacks, comfortable seats and friendly staff. There is also a family area for children to play games. For a little more luxury, first class passengers will also benefit from reclining chairs and power sockets at seat.
|First class||Second class|
|Bar buffet car Access to the bar buffet car where snacks and beverages can be bought. small>|
|Family area Seats are separated from the rest of the compartment, with foldable table and space for kids. small>|
|Comfortable seats Spacious seats with a headrest and generous legroom. small>|
|Reclining seats Cosy with more legroom, reclining seats are ideal to enjoy the trip. small>|
|Power sockets Ideal to plug your laptop, phone or any electronic device from your seat. small>|
|Taxi reservation Pre-book a taxi and don’t waste time when you get off at your destination. For holders of a 1st class Plus ticket only. small>|
- Fashion king Christian Lacroix designed the interiors of the newest TGV trains, so expect to be impressed.
- On some routes, the double-decker TGV Duplex trains offer an even better view of the passing countryside whilst at high speed.
- With the TGV, only the train goes at high speed: you travel in peace and quiet with your family and benefit from the comfort of large seats and all of the services onboard. Upgrade to first class!
For speed, comfort and travelling in style forget heading to the airport. The TGV trains offer everything you need for an enjoyable hassle-free trip around Europe.
Interactive Rail Map
- A. There are no check-in or customs procedures before boarding TGV trains. However, you must be onboard at the latest 2 minutes prior to the departure time, beyond which access to the train cannot be guaranteed. Ticket control and passport checks will occur on board the train.
Q. Should Eurostar, Thalys and other High Speed Train tickets be purchased prior to your departure date?A. Many trains such as the Eurostar offer discounted tickets for advance purchase. These fares have limited availability and sell out quickly. To receive the best price on the train you want to travel on you should purchase your tickets prior to your departure so you can avoid fully booked trains.
- A. You can print your TGV ticket directly from your printer at home or retrieve it from the self-service machines available at the train stations before boarding your TGV train.
- A. TGV offers two different classes of travel: 1st and 2nd class. Larger seats that recline electronically, power sockets for laptop or mobile phone and access to the bar buffet car are among the main features you will find in TGV first class. In second class, you will enjoy comfortable seats with also an access to the bar-buffet car where you can choose from a vast selection of dishes and beverages.
- A. First class on the TGV offers large comfortable reclining seats and a bar-buffet car offering a selection of food and beverages for purchase. When Premier service is offered for this train the service includes meal service and access to the TGV lounge at the train stations. Second class on the TGV Med offers generous legroom and a bar-buffet car offering a selection of food and beverages for purchase.
- A. The following items of luggage are accepted at no extra cost on TGV trains and must be stored in the racks provided: hand luggage (suitcases, travel bags, rucksacks); skis in a bag; children’s prams; dismantled bikes in a bag; portable wakeboards in a bag. Also remember that on all French trains, including TGV, it is mandatory to place a tag on each piece of luggage identifying the traveller.
- A. Reservation is compulsory on TGV and if you are a pass holder, you still need to buy a TGV ticket. Among the passes available on TGV, you’ll be able to choose between Eurail Global, Eurail Select Pass or Eurail two country pass including France. France Rail Pass and France Rail Pass Premium are also among the possible options and offer last minute Easy Access reservations.
- A. TGV trains offer high-speed train services connecting the major cities of France. Paris is 58 minutes from Lille, and Bordeaux is just under 3 hours from the French capital. Travel time between Paris and Marseille is 3 hours. And if you want to get to Strasbourg, it will take you only 2 hours and 20 minutes from Paris by TGV.
- A. TGV trains offer a buffet car where you can find a vast choice of hot and cold meals. Drinks and snacks are also available at vending machines on all TGV trains. You are also allowed to bring your own food and drink onto the train.
- A. First class on the TGV Medoffers large comfortable reclining seats and a bar-buffet car offering a selection of food and beverages for purchase. Second class on the TGV Med offers generous legroom and a bar-buffet car offering a selection of food and beverages for purchase.
answered | Posted by Jill Z. | Comments 0 | Created: 29/06/2016
answered | Posted by Kelly C. | Comments 0 | Created: 26/06/2016
answered | Posted by robyn s. | Comments 0 | Created: 19/06/2016
answered | Posted by Richard B. | Comments 0 | Created: 18/06/2016
answered | Posted by Joel P. | Comments 0 | Created: 14/06/2016
Reviews & ratings TGV
Overall rating (1783)
Overall appreciationExcellent 40% Very good 35% Average 18% Poor 4% Terrible 3%
- "French Trains are Excellent" Greg h. 30/06/2016
Sweet, no hassles, breeze into the capital. Value for money Convenience
- "paris to strasbourg" Warren h. 30/06/2016
train was a little dirty Value for money Convenience
- "Easy travel" Suzanne c. 29/06/2016
Love European trains, great service, stood value and on time Value for money Convenience
- "Communication!" Ross m. 28/06/2016
We had concerns around sufficient time to transfer our luggage at Marseille for the connecting train to Nice and it wasn't until I made enquiries at the station (Avignon) that I was advised this service was cancelled and replaced by a direct service to Nice. In reality the replacement train stopped at Marseille to pick up a significant number of Soccer fans en route to Nice. Our trip was delayed some 1 hour whilst additional carriages were added to our train. Our first class became over loaded with Soccer fans with people standing in the isle and at various stages sitting on our table. Luggage was being moved or emptied from the storage racks so that fans could crawl in there to sleep. Not our best experience. Value for money Convenience
- "Hassle Free" Ross m. 28/06/2016
Excellent service provided by porters at Gare Lyon. As with previous trips a concern for international travellers is the limited information provided in English via en route announcements. Always a concern to get luggage on and off the train as you have no idea as to how much time is provided. The fear of being separated from your luggage is real. Great to see this system has trains that run on time. Value for money Convenience
- "my train journey" Michelle p. 28/06/2016
After 30 hours of travelling, it was disappointing that the train was running late. The seats are very comfortable, although, at a window seat it's impossible to get out without making the person on the aisle move everything and get up. Also, the luggage racks above the seats are a bit too small for hand-luggage. The convenience of catching the train at an airport, however, is fantastic. Value for money Convenience
- "Entertaining" Dennis p. 28/06/2016
If the stunning coastal views and gorgeous country vistas were not sufficiently diverting, then the 'people watching' on this train provided a constant source of entertainment. This journey was taken on a packed train given the strike conditions over the weekend but it was all handled with good humour and as long as one had secured a reserved seat, the journey was both comfortable and fun. The restaurant car also provides a good coffee. Value for money Convenience
- "Relaxing" Chris d. 28/06/2016
A beautiful way to travel around france. Value for money Convenience
- "Very good" Alison f. 28/06/2016
We travelled well in the fast train. It was comfortable and too no time to get to Paris. A great way to travel in Europe. Value for money Convenience
- "comfortable trip" Daryl r. 27/06/2016
comfortable way to travel from Nice to Lyon. Fast and efficient. comfortable seating. Value for money Convenience
- "Lucky Travel Day" . 27/06/2016
On this day,train number booked on did not exist. We had 22 minutes to find out what to do. I eventually found a "Helper" in the very crowded Station, who said just get on the next train going through to Nice. We were able to get 2 seats in 2nd class carriage and not get asked to give them up. So we completed our journey still on time and without any more fuss. The trains are good value and convenient travel
- "Didn’t happen" . 26/06/2016
Flight was four hours late arriving at CDG, train connection missed. Had to rebuy tickets. An expensive outcome
- "Paris to Marseilles by TGV" James b. 26/06/2016
Excellent! Value for money Convenience
- "First Time Train Travellers" Susan k. 26/06/2016
Our experience on this trip far exceeded our expectations. The train was on time both for departure and arrival. Value for money Convenience
- "Reims Day Trip" Kim s. 26/06/2016
Was great to have allocated seats for this train trip. Had booked and paid in advance and I was impressed with how smoothly the entire trip went. Trains were on time in arrivals and departures and were clean. Very easy process overall Value for money Convenience