Europe Summer Sales: Great deals to tour Europe!
Save up to AU$ 90 on your booking and enjoy a wonderful summertime in Europe!
- Paris - Nice: 05:36
- Book early, save up to 60%
- Book up to 90 days in advance
- High speed trains
TGV, high speed trains, serving 1,400 destinations in France.
France’s Train à Grande Vitesse, or TGV as it is better known, is the high speed train operated by SNCF, which has been tearing across the length and breadth of France and beyond since 1981. The TGV is the flagship of France railway service. The high speed train travels at a speed of up to 320km/h and allow travellers to reach over a thousand destination in Europe. The TGV trains are stylish and modern. The interior of the latest TGV has been designed by Christian Lacroix. The TGV Duplex (double-decker) trains operates on some routes.
Popular journeys and travel durations
The TGV is the best way to get around and see the diversity of France. It serves both main cities and smaller towns in France and also connects France with Belgium, Switzerland and Germany in a fast and efficient way.
|Paris Cdg Airport||Nice||06:35||AU$ 167|
|Paris Cdg Airport||Brussels||01:13||AU$ 129|
|Avignon||Paris Cdg Airport||03:10||AU$ 48|
|Paris Cdg Airport||Lyon||01:59||AU$ 40|
|Marseille||Paris Cdg Airport||03:47||AU$ 48|
|Bordeaux||Paris Cdg Airport||04:10||AU$ 59|
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- TGV tickets are open for booking 90 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Receive your ticket directly to your address. Just take them with you and you are ready to travel. Shipping fees apply.
Print @ home
Print your ticket anywhere and anytime before your travel. Skip shipping fees.
Print @ Station (from France)
Go to a self-service ticket machine and enter your reference to retrieve your ticket. Skip shipping fees.
Seat reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
For anyone visiting France the TGV will soon become part of your incredible journey. The TGV trains take passengers all over the French countryside to 150 towns and cities in comfort, style and at high speed.
Experience the service
Before you board
Many of the TGV stations are architecturally outstanding; if you have time go outside and take a look at the exteriors.Before you board the train, validate your train ticket in the yellow stamp machines which are found on the platforms of all train stations in France.
OnboardThe TGV offers three classes of service. All passengers will benefit from a restaurant car serving hot and cold drinks and snacks, comfortable seats and friendly staff. There is also a family area for children to play games. For a little more luxury, first class passengers will also benefit from reclining chairs and power sockets at seat.
|First class||Second class|
|Bar buffet car Access to the bar buffet car where snacks and beverages can be bought. small>|
|Family area Seats are separated from the rest of the compartment, with foldable table and space for kids. small>|
|Comfortable seats Spacious seats with a headrest and generous legroom. small>|
|Reclining seats Cosy with more legroom, reclining seats are ideal to enjoy the trip. small>|
|Power sockets Ideal to plug your laptop, phone or any electronic device from your seat. small>|
|Taxi reservation Pre-book a taxi and don’t waste time when you get off at your destination. For holders of a 1st class Plus ticket only. small>|
- Fashion king Christian Lacroix designed the interiors of the newest TGV trains, so expect to be impressed.
- On some routes, the double-decker TGV Duplex trains offer an even better view of the passing countryside whilst at high speed.
- With the TGV, only the train goes at high speed: you travel in peace and quiet with your family and benefit from the comfort of large seats and all of the services onboard. Upgrade to first class!
For speed, comfort and travelling in style forget heading to the airport. The TGV trains offer everything you need for an enjoyable hassle-free trip around Europe.
Interactive Rail Map
Q. Should Eurostar, Thalys and other High Speed Train tickets be purchased prior to your departure date?A. Many trains such as the Eurostar offer discounted tickets for advance purchase. These fares have limited availability and sell out quickly. To receive the best price on the train you want to travel on you should purchase your tickets prior to your departure so you can avoid fully booked trains.
- A. You will be able to book your TGV tickets 90 days in advance.
- A. There are no check-in or customs procedures before boarding TGV trains. However, you must be onboard at the latest 2 minutes prior to the departure time, beyond which access to the train cannot be guaranteed. Ticket control and passport checks will occur on board the train.
- A. First class on the TGV offers large comfortable reclining seats and a bar-buffet car offering a selection of food and beverages for purchase. When Premier service is offered for this train the service includes meal service and access to the TGV lounge at the train stations. Second class on the TGV Med offers generous legroom and a bar-buffet car offering a selection of food and beverages for purchase.
- A. First class on the TGV Medoffers large comfortable reclining seats and a bar-buffet car offering a selection of food and beverages for purchase. Second class on the TGV Med offers generous legroom and a bar-buffet car offering a selection of food and beverages for purchase.
- A. TGV offers two different classes of travel: 1st and 2nd class. Larger seats that recline electronically, power sockets for laptop or mobile phone and access to the bar buffet car are among the main features you will find in TGV first class. In second class, you will enjoy comfortable seats with also an access to the bar-buffet car where you can choose from a vast selection of dishes and beverages.
- A. TGV trains offer a buffet car where you can find a vast choice of hot and cold meals. Drinks and snacks are also available at vending machines on all TGV trains. You are also allowed to bring your own food and drink onto the train.
- A. You can print your TGV ticket directly from your printer at home or retrieve it from the self-service machines available at the train stations before boarding your TGV train.
- A. The following items of luggage are accepted at no extra cost on TGV trains and must be stored in the racks provided: hand luggage (suitcases, travel bags, rucksacks); skis in a bag; children’s prams; dismantled bikes in a bag; portable wakeboards in a bag. Also remember that on all French trains, including TGV, it is mandatory to place a tag on each piece of luggage identifying the traveller.
- A. Reservation is compulsory on TGV and if you are a pass holder, you still need to buy a TGV ticket. Among the passes available on TGV, you’ll be able to choose between Eurail Global, Eurail Select Pass or Eurail two country pass including France. France Rail Pass and France Rail Pass Premium are also among the possible options and offer last minute Easy Access reservations.
answered | Posted by Betty S. | Comments 1 | Created: 23/07/2016
answered | Posted by Graziella Z. | Comments 0 | Created: 17/07/2016
answered | Posted by Steven U. | Comments 0 | Created: 15/07/2016
answered | Posted by Faye O. | Comments 0 | Created: 15/07/2016
answered | Posted by JOHN A. | Comments 0 | Created: 03/07/2016
Reviews & ratings TGV
Overall rating (1783)
Overall appreciationExcellent 40% Very good 35% Average 18% Poor 4% Terrible 3%
- "Nantes to Pornic day trip" John r. 25/07/2016
Excellent Value for money Convenience
- "Very good trip" Tony h. 25/07/2016
Nice easy way to get to Bordeaux. No stress travel and great to see the country side. Value for money Convenience
- "Return to Paris" Laurence t. 25/07/2016
We were very happy with our experience on the train- no complaints. Value for money Convenience
- "Paris to Dijon" Brenton g. 25/07/2016
Easy to find and board the right train. Luggage space is limited. Journey is smooth and comfortable. Running on time. Value for money Convenience
- "Airport to Angouleme Transfer" Andrew d. 24/07/2016
Very straightforward on time train trip. Train was newer double decker TGV. Only issue is that the place to put your luggage is quite restricted and so it is best to board ASAP if you have bags. Value for money Convenience
- "Trip to CDG" David c. 24/07/2016
Train was on time and a smooth experience. Highly recommended. Value for money Convenience
- "tgv cdg to montpellier" Mollie f. 23/07/2016
Very little luggage space when we boarded at cdg. Value for money Convenience
- "two level TGV " Rosemary o. 23/07/2016
2 level TGV - plenty of luggage space upstairs - had to carry cases up spiral staircase On time Value for money Convenience
- "The Convenience of TGV" Sattambiralalage Don r. 22/07/2016
There were some issues in booking via Internet from Australia, particularly in getting confirmation of wheelchair assistance for my 88year old mother. Also, there was a difference in price when booking with Raileuropa. Passengers booking within France have the advantage of booking via SNCF, which is significantly cheaper, though the seats are exactly the same. Once in the station in Montparnasse and on board the TGV, it all came together for one comfortable, fast and convenient journey to Lourdes. The seats were superlative in true comfort, space for luggage ample, toilette so reasonably cleans and the restaurant saloon adequate for the needs of a 7 hrs journey. We are very grateful foe the efficiency of SNCF staff for arranging with staff of Gare de Lourdes to have a wheel chair assistance and ramp ready and waiting for my mother when we arrived in Lourdes. Everything was very good and we happy that we took the journey in TGV from Paris, Gare Montparnasse to Lourdes Value for money Convenience
- "Great!" Anitha j. 22/07/2016
Easy, convenient and fast. Value for money Convenience
- "Punctual and Reliable" Ann i. 20/07/2016
I chose to take the train rather than the bus despite the fact that it cost considerably more as it halved the time of the journey and provided a comfortable and efficient service. The train left on time and arrived on time. Value for money Convenience
- "Lyon to Valence" Simon e. 20/07/2016
Train was on time but my seat had been used on the previous sector and had food scraps and rubbish on and around it. A quick trip to Valence where there is not much to do. Arrived on time. Value for money Convenience
- "TGV Trip" David c. 19/07/2016
Food is expensive. For the price paid, refreshments should be included in the fair. This service is regularly used by tourists and needs some English for stops Value for money Convenience
- "Baggage " William m. 18/07/2016
It is difficult to carry large suitcases up the stairs to the upper level, especially for older people. Either more space could be allocated for suitcases in the lower level or passengers should be advised when booking if their seats are on the upper level. Value for money Convenience
- "Trip from Tours to Montparnass" Stuart r. 18/07/2016
Our experience on this trip was excellent. The train was on time, comfortable and very good value. Value for money Convenience