- Paris - Nice: 05:36
- Book early, save up to 60%
- Book up to 90 days in advance
- High speed trains
TGV, high speed trains, serving 1,400 destinations in France.
France’s Train à Grande Vitesse, or TGV as it is better known, is the high speed train operated by SNCF, which has been tearing across the length and breadth of France and beyond since 1981. The TGV is the flagship of France railway service. The high speed train travels at a speed of up to 320km/h and allow travellers to reach over a thousand destination in Europe. The TGV trains are stylish and modern. The interior of the latest TGV has been designed by Christian Lacroix. The TGV Duplex (double-decker) trains operates on some routes.
Popular journeys and travel durations
The TGV is the best way to get around and see the diversity of France. It serves both main cities and smaller towns in France and also connects France with Belgium, Switzerland and Germany in a fast and efficient way.
|Paris Cdg Airport||Nice||06:35||AU$ 164|
|Paris Cdg Airport||Brussels||01:13||AU$ 126|
|Avignon||Paris Cdg Airport||03:10||AU$ 47|
|Paris Cdg Airport||Lyon||01:59||AU$ 39|
|Marseille||Paris Cdg Airport||03:47||AU$ 47|
|Bordeaux||Paris Cdg Airport||04:10||AU$ 58|
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- TGV tickets are open for booking 90 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Receive your ticket directly to your address. Just take them with you and you are ready to travel. Shipping fees apply.
Print @ home
Print your ticket anywhere and anytime before your travel. Skip shipping fees.
Print @ Station (from France)
Go to a self-service ticket machine and enter your reference to retrieve your ticket. Skip shipping fees.
Seat reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
For anyone visiting France the TGV will soon become part of your incredible journey. The TGV trains take passengers all over the French countryside to 150 towns and cities in comfort, style and at high speed.
Experience the service
Before you board
Many of the TGV stations are architecturally outstanding; if you have time go outside and take a look at the exteriors.Before you board the train, validate your train ticket in the yellow stamp machines which are found on the platforms of all train stations in France.
OnboardThe TGV offers three classes of service. All passengers will benefit from a restaurant car serving hot and cold drinks and snacks, comfortable seats and friendly staff. There is also a family area for children to play games. For a little more luxury, first class passengers will also benefit from reclining chairs and power sockets at seat.
|First class||Second class|
|Bar buffet car Access to the bar buffet car where snacks and beverages can be bought. small>|
|Family area Seats are separated from the rest of the compartment, with foldable table and space for kids. small>|
|Comfortable seats Spacious seats with a headrest and generous legroom. small>|
|Reclining seats Cosy with more legroom, reclining seats are ideal to enjoy the trip. small>|
|Power sockets Ideal to plug your laptop, phone or any electronic device from your seat. small>|
|Taxi reservation Pre-book a taxi and don’t waste time when you get off at your destination. For holders of a 1st class Plus ticket only. small>|
- Fashion king Christian Lacroix designed the interiors of the newest TGV trains, so expect to be impressed.
- On some routes, the double-decker TGV Duplex trains offer an even better view of the passing countryside whilst at high speed.
- With the TGV, only the train goes at high speed: you travel in peace and quiet with your family and benefit from the comfort of large seats and all of the services onboard. Upgrade to first class!
For speed, comfort and travelling in style forget heading to the airport. The TGV trains offer everything you need for an enjoyable hassle-free trip around Europe.
Interactive Rail Map
Q. Should Eurostar, Thalys and other High Speed Train tickets be purchased prior to your departure date?A. Many trains such as the Eurostar offer discounted tickets for advance purchase. These fares have limited availability and sell out quickly. To receive the best price on the train you want to travel on you should purchase your tickets prior to your departure so you can avoid fully booked trains.
- A. There are no check-in or customs procedures before boarding TGV trains. However, you must be onboard at the latest 2 minutes prior to the departure time, beyond which access to the train cannot be guaranteed. Ticket control and passport checks will occur on board the train.
- A. TGV trains offer high-speed train services connecting the major cities of France. Paris is 58 minutes from Lille, and Bordeaux is just under 3 hours from the French capital. Travel time between Paris and Marseille is 3 hours. And if you want to get to Strasbourg, it will take you only 2 hours and 20 minutes from Paris by TGV.
- A. You will be able to book your TGV tickets 90 days in advance.
- A. TGV trains offer a buffet car where you can find a vast choice of hot and cold meals. Drinks and snacks are also available at vending machines on all TGV trains. You are also allowed to bring your own food and drink onto the train.
- A. TGV offers two different classes of travel: 1st and 2nd class. Larger seats that recline electronically, power sockets for laptop or mobile phone and access to the bar buffet car are among the main features you will find in TGV first class. In second class, you will enjoy comfortable seats with also an access to the bar-buffet car where you can choose from a vast selection of dishes and beverages.
- A. First class on the TGV Medoffers large comfortable reclining seats and a bar-buffet car offering a selection of food and beverages for purchase. Second class on the TGV Med offers generous legroom and a bar-buffet car offering a selection of food and beverages for purchase.
- A. First class on the TGV offers large comfortable reclining seats and a bar-buffet car offering a selection of food and beverages for purchase. When Premier service is offered for this train the service includes meal service and access to the TGV lounge at the train stations. Second class on the TGV Med offers generous legroom and a bar-buffet car offering a selection of food and beverages for purchase.
- A. The following items of luggage are accepted at no extra cost on TGV trains and must be stored in the racks provided: hand luggage (suitcases, travel bags, rucksacks); skis in a bag; children’s prams; dismantled bikes in a bag; portable wakeboards in a bag. Also remember that on all French trains, including TGV, it is mandatory to place a tag on each piece of luggage identifying the traveller.
- A. You can print your TGV ticket directly from your printer at home or retrieve it from the self-service machines available at the train stations before boarding your TGV train.
answered | Posted by Shelley W. | Comments 0 | Created: 18/09/2016
Our 1st class eurail global pass no is 37130723. i am unable to book seats onlin - amsterdam-paris-santiago de (...)Our 1st class Eurail Global Pass No is 37130723. We wish to booking for Amsterdam-Paris-Santiago de Compostela-Lisbon-Madrid-Barcelona-
answered | Posted by Ramaswsamy N. | Comments 0 | Created: 29/08/2016
answered | Posted by Jeff S. | Comments 0 | Created: 28/08/2016
answered | Posted by Dean S. | Comments 1 | Created: 11/08/2016
Hi there, if i get a spain-portugal eurail pass, can i use that to get the tgv from barcelona to paris as (...)Hi there, if I get a Spain-Portugal eurail pass, can I use that to get the TGV to Paris as well? as I am not planning to do any (...)
answered | Posted by Suzanne L. | Comments 0 | Created: 26/07/2016
Reviews & ratings TGV
Overall rating (1783)
Overall appreciationExcellent 40% Very good 35% Average 18% Poor 4% Terrible 3%
- "no stress travel" Geoffrey s. 28/09/2016
The train was very full but the trip was comfortable. Staff are helpful and are good english speakers. Value for money Convenience
- "Fine Dining !" Roger h. 28/09/2016
We would like a better dining car on the train , similar to the German trains Value for money Convenience
- "Good trip but no wifi" James s. 28/09/2016
Comfortable seats, friendly staff, on time. All good for a train trip, but on longer journeys, wifi access should be a basic. It wasn't. Value for money Convenience
- "CDG Station Uncomfortable" Matthew s. 28/09/2016
CDG TGV station is a pretty uncomfortable place to wait for a train. Lack of seating and eating areas. Be prepared to pay to use the bathrooms. Value for money Convenience
- "Luggage problems" Kenneth b. 28/09/2016
Seating us upstairs when we had heavy luggage made entry and exit very difficult. Hence the low rating. The TGV 2 storey trains need to have this problem sorted. Also, when we arrived at Matabiau people started to crowd onto the train before we were even down the stairs with our cases. Not happy. Value for money Convenience
- "Last minute help/RailEurope " Jonathan p. 27/09/2016
Brilliant help from the RailEurope Team (Clement) to deal with re-booking a last minute date change of travel. Refunds/new tickets all sorted on the day before leaving Australia. Have used RailEurope over the last five years and the ticketing is transparent and good value. Value for money Convenience
- "Cc" Stephen v. 27/09/2016
In 4 berth 1st class area . Found it more cramped and difficult with feet position with strangers. Would have preferred 2nd class all facing same way Value for money Convenience
- "TGV" John c. 27/09/2016
an excellent service Value for money Convenience
- "Superb !" Neil m. 27/09/2016
Fast; efficient; clean and on time - presentation excellent in all repects Value for money Convenience
- "Quick" Andrew l. 27/09/2016
Great journey very comfortable and very quick. Value for money Convenience
- "Reliable, fast and efficient" Elayne s. 25/09/2016
Not much to add only drawback is lifting heavy bags onto train. We had trouble finding our seats but the friendly staff on the train helped us out. Always great travelling on the TGVs. Value for money Convenience
- "Convenience" Janice b. 25/09/2016
The train left on time and save the hassle of driving from France into Italy. Value for money Convenience
- "Comfortable." Leni Sema m. 24/09/2016
Very comfortable ride. No internet. Better than the Thalys! Value for money Convenience
- "Trip down memory lane" Vincent h. 23/09/2016
Made this trip many times before. Good start from Gare Montparnasse. The usual last minute notification of what platform would be taken. Not an issue if you are used to it. Smooth ride plenty to see even at TGV speed. Left and arrived on time. We had breakfast at our hotel and were going to have lunch when we arrived so we did not purchase refreshments on the train. The internet tickets did not have to be franked/validated a minor but definite plus. Value for money Convenience
- "Smooth and Easy" Anthea y. 22/09/2016
Found the trip by TGV to Avignon to be simple to book online from Australia and very easy to use. No issues. Value for money Convenience