- Paris - Amsterdam: 03:17
- Book early, save up to 70%
- Book up to 90 days in advance
- High Speed trains
travellers in 2015
years of rail travel experience
Thalys, high speed trains and best way to travel between Paris, Brussels, Amsterdam and Cologne.
The high speed red Thalys trains travel at a speed of up to 300 km/h and connect Belgium to France, Germany and the Netherlands. The high speed trains run frequently – up to 23 daily returns between Paris and Brussels and offer passengers eight carriages and the choice of Comfort 1 (first class) or Comfort 2 (second class). Travelling on the Thalys means you can go from the centre of one incredible European city directly the heart of another. And if you want to lengthen your break why not travel all over the continent?
Popular journeys and travel durations
Thalys high-speed trains allows you to travel between France, Belgium, the Netherlands and Germany in style and comfort at a speed of up to 300 km/h. Whether you want to explore Brussels, Paris, Amsterdam or Cologne, Thalys will take you there.
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- Thalys tickets are open for booking 90 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Receive your ticket directly to your address. Just take them with you and you are ready to travel. Shipping fees apply.
Print @ home
Print your ticket anywhere and anytime before your travel. Skip shipping fees.
Print @ Station
Go to a self-service ticket machine and enter your reference to retrieve your ticket. Skip shipping fees.
Seat reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Anyone looking to explore France, Belgium, the Netherlands and Germany will enjoy travelling on the high speed Thalys trains, which whisk passengers to their destinations at speeds of 300km/h.
Experience the service
It’s always best to plan ahead and for help organising your onward journey or deciding where to stay on arrival, take a look at which station you will be arriving at. Remember some cities have more than one main train station.Don’t worry about long check in queues at the station – when travelling with Thalys you don’t need to check in. You can board the train and get settled. Just have your ticket to hand for the inspector.
OnboardThalys trains offer a comfortable modern service in both Comfort 1 and Comfort 2. Comfort 1 passengers benefit from free wifi access and are served a meal (breakfast, lunch or dinner) in their seats. Comfort 2 passengers can enjoy snacks and refreshments from the buffet-bar car and can also access wifi for a small charge. You can buy Paris Metro tickets on board from the bar-buffet car.
|First class||Second class|
|Reclining seats Cosy with more legroom, reclining seats are ideal to enjoy the trip. small>|
|Meal and drink A delicious meal and drinks are served at seat on board. small>|
|Newspapers and magazines Grab your free international/local newspaper or magazine and enjoy the ride. small>|
|Taxi reservation Pre-book a taxi and don’t waste time when you get off at your destination. At an additional cost. small>|
|WiFi Internet Enjoy the freedom to read your emails, surf and listen to online music thanks to the wireless internet on board. small>|
|Bar buffet car Access to the bar buffet car where snacks and beverages can be bought. small>|
Meal services on Thalys trains
- In 1st class you receive a full meal on board Thalys trains, in the comfort of your own seat. Meals served are breakfast, lunch and dinner and include a choice of drinks, cold starter and main course, bread and dessert. In 2nd class you have full access to the bar buffet, which offers (you) a selection of food and beverages, as well as organic and fair trade products. Whichever class you travel on Thalys, and whatever time of day it is, you know that you will not be hungry!
Stay connected with Thalys!
- WI-FI connection is available on board all Thalys trains, so that you can work as you travel, or be in touch with friends and family via your computer. This service is complimentary for 1st class passengers and also available for 2nd class passengers, but at an additional cost. So if you need to stay connected you can – keeping continuity in your busy work day or organising your social life for the evening!
Thalys helps you get to "Any Belgian Station"
- Thalys works very closely with the SNCB train network to ensure good coordination and continuity of service. The “Any Belgian Station” fare includes both the Thalys and the Belgian leg of the journey, at a minimal extra cost, and is valid for two days either before or after your Thalys journey. You have no need to book a reservation for the local Belgian train ride – as you can imagine, this fare is convenient and saves time! Let Thalys help make travelling in Belgium easy for you!
Taking the high speed Thalys trains around Europe will add a touch of class and style to your trip.
Interactive Rail Map
- A. When travelling with Thalys, you can carry a maximum of two suitcases per paying passenger (the largest side must be equal to 85 centimetres) and one item of hand luggage.
- A. You can print your Thalys ticket directly from your printer at home or retrieve it from the self-service machines available in FRANCE ONLY before boarding your Thalys train.
Q. Should Eurostar, Thalys and other High Speed Train tickets be purchased prior to your departure date?A. Many trains such as the Eurostar offer discounted tickets for advance purchase. These fares have limited availability and sell out quickly. To receive the best price on the train you want to travel on you should purchase your tickets prior to your departure so you can avoid fully booked trains.
- A. In Comfort1 (First class), drinks and meal are included in the price of your Thalys ticket and served at your seat. Meal includes a choice of drinks, cold starter and main course, but also bread and dessert. In Thalys Comfort 2 (second class), you will get access to a bar-buffet car which offers a variety of food and refreshments.
- A. You will be able to book a Thalys ticket 90 days in advance.
Q. What is the difference between 1st and 2nd class on the Thalys (Paris to Brussels and Amsterdam)?A. First class on the Thalys offers large comfortable reclining seats and drinks and a light snack served at your seat. Second class on the Thalys offers generous legroom and a selection of drinks and snacks at your seat that are available for purchase.
- A. There are no check-in before boarding a Thalys train and ticket control and passport checks will occur onboard the train. Also worth remembering that children less than 12 years old travelling alone are not accepted on board Thalys trains.
- A. Also known as the red train, Thalys trains link Paris to the gems of Northern Europe: Brussels in 1 hour and 22 minutes, Amsterdam in 3 hours and 18 minutes, and Cologne in 3 hours and 14 minutes. On a seasonal basis (from the end of December till mid - April), Thalys Snow travels from Brussels Midi to the ski resorts in Chambéry, Albertville, Moutiers, Aime-la-Plagne, Landry and Bourg-St-Maurice, every Saturday without any stops.
- A. Thalys trains offer two classes of travel: 1st class with Comfort 1 and 2nd class with Comfort 2. In Comfort 1, reclining seats will offer you a high level of comfort. Sockets for laptop or mobile phone are also available on some carriages as well as free newspapers on major routes. Wi-Fi is free in Thalys Comfort 1 and in 2nd class with flexible tickets. In 2nd class (Comfort 2), you will get access to a bar-buffet car offering food and refreshments for purchase. Wi-Fi is available at an additional cost in second class for more restrictive tickets.
- A. Like most high-speed trains in Europe, you need to make a booking when travelling with Thalys. Passholders with passes covering the whole Thalys route (Eurail Global Pass, Eurail Select Pass including France, Benelux or Germany, depending on the route, Eurail and Benelux-France) benefit from special Passholder fares. Just bear in mind that some passes covering partially the Thalys sector like France Rail Pass but also Eurail passes including Benelux-France / France-Germany / France-Italy / France-Spain / France-Switzerland / Benelux also offer special Passholder deals. German Rail Pass is not valid on Thalys routes to Germany.
Do i need a two country rail pass to travel from london to bruges/belgium and after two days onto paris?Do I need a two country pass to travel from London to Bruges/Belgium and after two days onto Paris?
answered | Posted by Judith D. | Comments 2 | Created: 16/01/2017
answered | Posted by Ian U. | Comments 0 | Created: 30/10/2016
Our 1st class eurail global pass no is 37130723. i am unable to book seats onlin - amsterdam-paris-santiago de (...)Our 1st class Eurail Global Pass No is 37130723. We wish to booking for Amsterdam-Paris-Santiago de Compostela-Lisbon-Madrid-Barcelona-
answered | Posted by Ramaswsamy N. | Comments 0 | Created: 29/08/2016
Will a germany - france rail pass (2 countries) include trains from paris to cologne (direct) via thalys (...)I am looking to purchase a German - France Rail Pass and was wondering if it covered the Thalys train from Paris to Cologne? Also, (...)
answered | Posted by Keng Y. | Comments 0 | Created: 27/06/2016
answered | Posted by Peter D. | Comments 0 | Created: 26/03/2016
Reviews & ratings Thalys
Overall rating (1096)
Overall appreciationExcellent 44% Very good 35% Average 16% Poor 3% Terrible 2%
- "Wear comfortable shoes" Edward r. 02/01/2017
The train trip itself was good. The problem was, the train service to Belgium is made up of two trains joined together. At Brussels, they separate, one goes to Amsterdam Value for money Convenience
- "Amsterdam to brussels" Paul k. 29/12/2016
Booked first class. Very happy with the level of service and comfort. No delays. Professional staff on board. All good. Only issue was delay just outside the station but they did announce what the problem was. Value for money Convenience
- "comfort and relaxing " Wenyu z. 22/12/2016
the on board wifi is really good , you can barely feel its a 4 hours trips Value for money Convenience
- "Holiday" Kathy h. 18/12/2016
On the recommendation of from our family who did the same trip last year we decided to travel by Rail from Paris to Amsterdam and it was very relaxing, time went by and in no time we were in Amsterdam. Value for money Convenience
- "First Train Trip in Europe " Tracey h. 07/12/2016
We loved every minute of it, we travelled 1st class. He service and staff were amazing will definitely be using this service again. Value for money Convenience
- "Lovely trip" Ian George g. 13/11/2016
Great way to see country Value for money Convenience
- "Great way to Travel!" Julie v. 07/11/2016
Took the TGV from Paris to Amsterdam and loved it. Easy, affordable, comfy seats and OK food for a train. Don't drive, relax and take the train! Value for money Convenience
- "Thalys Amsterdam to Paris" Arthur b. 03/11/2016
Good ride, comfortable, economical and fast. Lack of storage for all the luggage people bring, need more space or limit what they bring onboard. Also, half of the seats face backward and can't be changed. Didn't bother us too much, but be prepared for this possibility. Value for money Convenience
- "More convenient, impossible" Alfonzo Enrique h. 02/11/2016
Travelling by train is definitely the best option when in Europe, it is so convenient and cheap!! They also have wifi in the train so it made all the experience very pleasant. Value for money Convenience
- "Comfortable" . 29/10/2016
Trains times accurate. Journey comfortable and convenient. Would recommend.
- "Bit cramped Thayls" John d. 18/10/2016
We booked very early and first class and it seemed that we had window seats opposite each other. When we boarded the train, we found that we had adjacent seats, against the bulkhead so only one of us had a window. We were also facing the wrong way. Thayls is not good. My trip from Hanover to Amsterdam was terrible in a very cramped booth for six - first class in contrast to the wonderful IC train from Germany. Value for money Convenience
- "Very efficient service" . 16/10/2016
What a great way to travel to the airport. So pleased we did it by train. Thalys is an excellent service.
- "Paris to and form Bruges" Ann m. 15/10/2016
The return trip was delayed in Bruges by the false bomb scare in Brussels, but thanks to 1, good advice from Rail officials at Bruges ( get on a later train which might get your connection) and 2.( having missed my train) excellent Thalys in Brussels rushed me on to a train in 2 minutes. I guess your are now used to such drama. Value for money Convenience
- "World holiday" Thomas l. 15/10/2016
We find that rail travel is comfortable, convienent and relaxing. Providing travel from the centre of city to centre of city, without stress. Value for money Convenience
- "Friendly staff" Ayami i. 14/10/2016
When I asked how to rotate the chair, the staff offered me family seats in the separated area. Having two kids, that was really nice! The staff were very flexible and we had unexpected luxurious time. Value for money Convenience