Thello Night trains
Save AU$ 45 with code EUROPE1734 - book 3 months in advance
Save AU$ 30 with code EUROPE1718 - book 2 months in advance
Save AU$ 15 with code EUROPE1702 - book 1 month in advance
- Paris - Venice: 13:24
- Book up to 120 days in advance
- Night trains
- Secure cabins with cozy berths
- Save on accommodation
travellers in 2015
years of rail travel experience
Thello Night trains
Thello night trains. Ideal to travel from Paris to Milan, Venice and Florence.
Travelling at speeds of up to 180 km/hr the Thello night train is the perfect way to make the journey between France and Italy. Climb on board, sit back and relax with a meal and then let the motion of the train rock you to sleep in your bed, waking up refreshed and ready to explore a new city and country. Once on board passengers can sit back and relax in their cabins or head to the bar for a snack or drink.
The Thello night train dining car also offers a welcome ambience for travellers to tuck into a restaurant-class meal. Passengers travelling in the Sleeper cars will have a reservation booked for them while other travellers are welcomed on a first-come-first-served basis.
The Thello night train has a Sleeper class with cabins for one to three people. In these Sleeper cabins you can choose to travel with just women, or just men if you prefer. Inside the cabin there is a wash basin, a socket for razors and toiletry kits as well as a comfortable bed. In the morning you are woken up with a hot drink and warm croissant. The perfect way to start the day.
Couchette Class caters for either four people or six people. The train attendants are always on hand to help and a refreshing bottle of water is given out at night fall.
Popular journeys and travel durations
Main destinations include Paris, Florence, Milan and Venice. T
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- Thello Night trains tickets are open for booking 120 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Receive your ticket directly to your address. Just take them with you and you are ready to travel. Shipping fees apply.
Seat reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
Experience the service
The Thello train leaves from Paris-Gare de Lyon in France and its main destinations in Italy are Milan, Florence and VeniceThe train doors will close two minutes before departure so make sure you allow plenty of time to board the train and settle in your seat. You don’t have to check in but make sure you have your ticket to hand for the inspection. Please note that even if you have a rail pass for France or Italy or both you won’t get a discount on the Thello fares.
OnboardThe helpful train attendants will handle all customs procedures and wake you in plenty of time before arriving at your destination.
|First class||First class||Second class||Second class|
|Carrier’s designationName of class of service as you might see on your ticket. small>||Single sleeper||Double and Triple sleeper T3||4-bed Couchettes T4||6-bed Couchettes T6|
|Washbasin Practical to freshen up anytime during your trip. small>|
|Air conditioned carriages Makes it bliss when travelling during the summer period. small>|
|Security Lock and spy hole on the door for a maximum privacy and security. small>|
|Drink Bottles of water are available on board. small>|
|Cabin arrangement At your request, an attendant will arrange the cabin for the night. small>|
|Newspapers and magazines Grab your free international/local newspaper or magazine and enjoy the ride. small>|
|Breakfast The most important meal of the day for a memorable experience. small>|
|Wake-up service You will be woke-up about 30 to 60 minutes before the train’s arrival. small>|
Sleepers: your home from home!
- Thello Night trains offer a Sleeper class with 1 to 3 berth-cabins, with gender distinctions in 2 and 3 berth-cabins, except for people who reserve together. Each cabin has a washbasin, a razor socket, a complimentary toiletry kit, and the comfort of a real bed. Attendants can set up your cabin for the night. You also benefit from a wake-up service and a coffee and croissant at the restaurant car.
Couchettes: economical and practical
- Thello Night trains Couchettes offer 4 or 6 berth-cabins with no gender distinction. As in Sleepers, you can benefit from the help of an attendant. The wake-up service between 30 to 60 minutes before your arrival and a bottle of water in the evening are free of charge.
When you eat well, you sleep well!
- The bar is available for a quick snack with hot and cold beverages and light sweet and savoury dishes. The Thello Night train dining car and its restaurant await you with two set menus for a genuine gourmet meal, providing a full meal served at your table. If you are travelling by sleeping car, the attendant will collect your reservation, otherwise simply come to the dining car where you will be seated on a “first come first served” basis.
Interactive Rail Map
Q.Can I get off the train for a few hours and then get back on later that day if I'm holding a train ticket?A. A ticket that does not include a reservation for a specific train, does allow you to get on and off the train as much as you would like provided that your journey is completed within 2 months. Most tickets now include the reservations within the ticket, and do not permit the traveler to hop on or off the train If you are looking for more freedom to hop on and off the train, a railpass would be the best choice.
- A. Showers facilities are generally not offered on trains in Europe.
Q. There is also a train connection from Munich to Prague, can I use these trains to travel to Prague with the coupon?A. No, the German Rail Pass Extension is only valid on the DB Expressbus between Munich/Nuremberg and Prague.
- A. Go to our train times on our Train Tickets and Schedules select the number of passengers then click the box next to "Click this box if you have a Rail Pass". All results that are displayed will show you fares that are valid for passes. To insure you select the correct fare for your pass view the details. All passes that are valid with each fare are listed in the details.
- A. 1st Class seats often recline, there are fewer seats per car, and there is more space for luggage. On some high-speed trains, the price of a 1st Class ticket includes a meal. 1st class is generally quieter with more business and adult passengers. 2nd Class accommodations are less expensive, but not as spacious, as there are more seats per car. For trips over 2 hours we recommend that you book 1st class.
- A. Your e-ticket is included in the email confirmation you receive from Rail Europe.
- A. Travel from London - Paris/Brussels and most of the train stations in between these 2 routes. For more detailed information on how to use a Eurostar self service kiosk review: How do I retrieve my e-tickets at Eurostar train stations ?
Q. Under train tickets and schedules, does the fare represent a per person rate or total for everyone?A. Our "Train Tickets and Schedules" section calculates the total cost of your outbound journey first, and it includes the cost for the number of people that you specify. Once you choose an outbound journey, the costs of the return journey appear.
- A. You can book early a ticket for Italo up to 70 days in advance. The earlier you book, the more likely you will get the lowest price. Italo tickets are can be book up to 3 days before your travel date.
- A. Like most high-speed train services, you’ll need to reserve a seat to travel on Frecciarossa trains. For holders of Eurail Global Pass, Eurail Select Pass (including Italy) / Eurail France-Italy pass / Eurail Greece-Italy / Eurail Italy Pass, just remember that you need to validate your pass before boarding a Frecciarossa train.
answered | Posted by Thomas M. | Comments 0 | Created: 30/09/2016
answered | Posted by Catherine S. | Comments 0 | Created: 11/09/2016
answered | Posted by Lyon D. | Comments 0 | Created: 19/07/2016
answered | Posted by Latif K. | Comments 0 | Created: 21/05/2016
answered | Posted by Penelope C. | Comments 2 | Created: 05/05/2016
Reviews & ratings Thello Night trains
Overall rating (117)
Overall appreciationExcellent 12% Very good 20% Average 25% Poor 21% Terrible 22%
- "comfort" Jennifer f. 09/06/2014
I was a disappointed in the comfort of the train. I had a different expectations to what I had booked as a couchette. I had thought it would have been a reclining seat, but was disappointed to find out that It was in a "a cabin and with 6 berths and being a large person, my seat number was assigned to a top berth. thankfully the compartment only had 4 persons, although one did join the cabin @ 11pm in the evening which meant we could not sleep until the person joined the train. I will not be travelling in such accommodation again. Value for money
- "Appalling " Belinda h. 02/05/2014
We paid for a first class sleeper carriage and I was appalled by the whole experience. The compartment we were given was so tiny you could hardly move....there was probably only a metre in space between the bunks and the wall. There was nowhere to store your luggage so two suitcases and two hand luggage bags, one hand bag, a brief case and camera, all had to be stowed on the floor creating even less leg room. There was no toilet in the compartment, and for the cost of the first class ticket I did expect there to be one. As for the bunks we had to sleep on, the were so uncomfortable we hardly slept. The mattresses were like hard foam rubber and we were only allowed one small pillow each which was the size of a small throw cushion. It was also impossible to sit upright on the bottom bunk without hitting your head.The staff were indifferent and the breakfast that was included in the price of the ticket was not delivered to the compartment as indicated in the advertisement. We had to walk through three carriages and line up for a croissant that tastes like it was a few days old and coffee that tasted like powdered muck. For the same money this horrendous experience cost us, we could have flown to Paris and stay in a hotel. I would not recommend this train service to anyone. Value for money Convenience
- "Firenze to Milano Italy" Patricia t. 10/03/2014
Evening train, served the purpose. Best Italian train that I used. Value for money Convenience
- "Oslo to Bergen " Louise m. 08/11/2013
Loved this train trip. The scenery was amazing and the driver explaining things to look out for was greatly appreciated. The seats were very comfortable and the entire train was extremely clean and clearly looked after well. Value for money Convenience
- "Overnight journey" Darryl p. 06/10/2013
Sleeping cabins were tiny with little room for large baggage. Bunk beds were difficult to get down on our own, as we are not young any more and impossible to raise again the next morning. Sleep was better than we thought and quite comfortable. One exit door did not work, making it difficult to get off train. One toilet in our carriage did not work. Overall standard of maintenance needs to improve. Value for money Convenience
- "Rome to France sleeper" Suzanne h. 25/09/2013
This booking was very easy to make and the tickets arrived via mail as I preferred. The train trip itself was fine, the sleeper was compact but very clean with additional amenities (soap, toothbrush and paste, eye mask and earplugs) to make life easier. It was a fairly noisy train so sleep was not as sound as ideal. That said it was all good and I would certainly travel that way again. Value for money Convenience
- "Hate to see 2nd class" Michael c. 19/08/2013
Travelled first class. Very tiny compartments with little space for luggage. There was one women's and one men's toilet for the whole carriage and this was smelly and not very clean at the start of the journey so was putrid by the end. One roll of toilet paper for the whole carriage for the entire journey. No spares! The beds were clean and comfortable. Value for money Convenience
- "venice to paris" Lisa w. 13/08/2013
Good service and ran on time. The sleeper was extremely small but the bed was comfortable. The criticisms are the toilet facilities were awful and didnt feel that there was value for our first class tickets. We would use the service again but wouldnt pay the extra for first class and would take our own toilet paper and hand towels. Value for money Convenience
- "Wrong booking " Anne b. 27/07/2013
We were very upset when we thought we had booked a fast train to Rome from Paris and we ended up on a slow train . We will be looking into our emails ASAP to check what happen , as we have just arrived back into Australia . we will never use this kind of booking again Value for money Convenience
- "Book the whole compartment" Cheryl j. 17/07/2013
Booked five beds in a 6 bed sleeper and had to share a small space with a stranger. Not pleasant in a confined space overnight. Love the idea of the sleeper train, but not if you have to share with a stranger especially with children. Would not recommend if you have small children unless you book the whole compartment. No toilet paper. Staff were friendly. Value for money Convenience
- "Good fun but well worn" Mark d. 16/07/2013
The sleeper compatrment was great fun, a good way to travel and very good value. We had a good nights sleep and enjoyed the experience. The cabins are a little old and tired, the mechanism holding the bunks had jammed and could not be repaired, meaning a cramped night for the person in the middle bunk. These are very heavily used and would benefit from some refitting! Value for money Convenience
- "Overnight from Milan to Paris" Rosalie m. 20/06/2013
Initially we tried to book an economy sleeper only to find they were all booked out, so upgraded to "first Class", because we were on a tight schedule. First Class was not quite what we imagined, very cramped for room with just the two of us, but there were three bunks! Definately would have been uncomfortable with three trying to fit in the cabin. That said, we did sleep quite comfortably. It was an experience we are glad we had. Value for money Convenience